|“||All chakra… belongs to me. Once again, all chakra shall become one!!!||„|
|~ Kaguya to Naruto.|
|“||I truly detest both of you. Hagoromo...Hamura...my two children...YOU ARE NOW MINE.||„|
|~ Kaguya to Naruto and Sasuke.|
Princess Kaguya Ōtsutsuki, rarely going by her title, is the overarching antagonist of the Naruto anime and manga franchise as a whole. She is the source of the whole conflict and the biggest threat faced by the heroes (though Isshiki Ōtsutsuki surpasses her in the sequel). Despite this, she is not the final villain of the series as Sasuke Uchiha is fought after her defeat. She is a low-ranking member of the Ōtsutsuki Clan and the former partner of Isshiki. Kaguya came to Earth to serve as a sacrifice to cultivate a God Tree. However, be it for power, fear of death or a fondness for the planet, she betrayed her partner and the rest of her clan.
She is the first being to ever wield chakra, who became an unfathomably powerful goddess in order to save the world from war, only to become a power-crazed tyrant. Growing more and more paranoid of her clan coming to Earth to punish her for her betrayal, she tried turning the Human race into White Zetsu solders. Eventually, she turned herself into the demonic Ten-Tailed Beast, only to be sealed away by her sons, but not before she created Black Zetsu, who orchestrated the entire shinobi history to revive her.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Major Weaknesses
- 5 Trivia
- 6 External Links
- 7 Navigation
Kaguya Ōtsutsuki is a very tall, lean and beautiful woman with sharp features and aristocratic support, whose white skin, silvery hair, and two spots over her white, pupiless eyes, show her non-human origin. She wears red lipstick and has very long flowing hair.
Upon eating the chakra fruit, she grew two brown horns resembling a rabbit’s ears, hence her title, long, pointed black nails, and a third, red eye on her forehead, with concentric circles and nine tomoes around the pupil. Her hair grew twice her height (thrice in the anime), wide enough to spread around her.
Kaguya's entire character, design and speech pattern included, is based on noble women of Ancient Japan. This shows in her long, white gown with gold and purple trimmings, covering her entire body (in fact a kimono worn by princesses), and her eyebrows cut very thin and short.
Kaguya is notable among the villains of the series for being disturbingly devoid of humanity. Even Naruto Uzumaki, the main hero who could sympathize with his foes and differentiate the great men they once were from the monsters they became, could not relate with her. Hagoromo's ghost notes that she was well-intentioned but became twisted, most likely due to eating the Chakra Fruit.
The anime develops her character, confirming that she was a kind soul who got corrupted. At first, she was highly reserved, somehow disconnected from humanity, speaking only when she had to and keeping her feelings to herself. She spent her nights looking at the stars, lost in her thoughts. She knew that her destiny was linked to the God-Tree, and feared that her kinsmen would one day come to Earth to take her away.
Although she defended herself when attacked and erased the witnesses' memories of it, she only used lethal force when she had no choice and warned her foes beforehand. She deeply desired harmony for the entire world and was very protective of her loved ones. Nevertheless, she had a hard time learning to open up to people and to trust them, believing that she had to work on her own. Over time however, she grew very close to her servant Aino and her lover Tenji, caring for the world and wanting to make it a safe and happy place for her children.
Unfortunately, her growing worry of her clan, the betrayal of her lover and children (though the latter is due to her increasing evil), and her far too huge power, gradually twisted her mind. Though she still cares in some way, as she states her intention to preserve her treasured Earth; and she cried when reminded of her once beloved sons, (though she became livid immediately after and voiced her hatred of them); she has become stern, cruel, remorseless, and uncaring. While always distant and distrustful, Kaguya is now nearly emotionless, always keeping a creepy stoic exterior and conveying her feelings through expressions rather than words.
Kaguya is poised and impassive, but extremely arrogant, conceited and self-righteous. She dismisses her foes as worthless weaklings, straight-out ignoring those too far beneath her, and cannot stand straying from the path she decided. She is even more self-absorbed than Madara Uchiha himself, which is saying something. Her initial intent to save humanity from both itself and her clan worsened into intense paranoia and megalomania, resulting in a God Complex.
She views herself as the only one fit to rule, and dismisses humans as unworthy of freedom, wanting to turn them all into monster-slaves for better control. She cannot fathom being wrong and regards contestation, even the smallest lack of reverence, as a criminal affront. And she cannot stand the idea of anyone else wielding powers.
Although she loved her sons, she treated them coldly and never deigned to tell them about her goals and motivations, and by the time she did, it was t and immediately resorted to violence when they tried to reason with her, instead of listening to their pleas. Worse, she had them fight to the death without caring the slightest about the anguish it would cause them. Despite this, she greatly trusts Black Zetsu, heeding his advice even when she dislikes it; likely because he is fully loyal...
In some way, she is a chilling representation of the overbearing mother who refuses to let her children leave the nest, and the tyrannical deity who demands absolute control over creation.
Contrasting the show-offy Madara, Kaguya goes straight for the kill and proves cautious in battle. She is very perceptive and intelligent, immediately noticing her sons’ secret. The fourth data book states that she devised Black Zetsu's plan on the spot as she spawned him, in her last seconds of freedom. However, her over-reliance on her powers and obsession with monopolizing chakra prompts her to make careless mistakes. Keeping underestimating the foes who repeatedly proved a challenge, led her final defeat. Even when defeated for good, she was thoroughly unable to fathom how it was possible.
Despite all her evil, Kaguya genuinely loved the planet and her children, as her initial reasons for turning Humans into White Zetsu was so they could
Powers and Abilities
Kaguya is far and away the mightiest of the many incredibly powerful characters of the story. Even her son Hagoromo, the legendary Sage of the Six Paths touted as the most powerful man to ever live, describes her as way was out of his and his brother's league. At the height of their power, it took them months to defeat her. While the special powers she passed down to her descendants are enough to make them top-tier fighters, they are stated to be a far cry from her own.
Kaguya naturally wielded vast powers. As an "alien", she can survive in the vacuum of space, and travel between worlds under the shape of as a glowing light.
She can put people to sleep immediately, hypnotize people or erase their memories, and project waves of pure force of variable scale from her eyes, in front of her or all around her, ranging from a small shock that harmlessly knocks people out, to a highly powerful blast able to repel a flurry of projectiles and tear a small battalion apart.
Kaguya and her kin feed on chakra to remain young and healthy. Their spirit can linger for a while after death. Worse, they can brand someone with a mark called a Kāma, housing their soul after they die and gradually replace their host. At first, they merely take over when their host faints, but over time they override and destroy their host, resurrecting through them while gaining their powers and knowledge. Though an unsuitable host disintegrates after some time, killing them for good.
After reaching godhood, Kaguya's powers skyrocketed to nigh-omnipotence. Even worse, Kaguya is fully immortal and recovers from any wound, being seen re-growing a severed arm. Sealing her is the only way to defeat her.
She is now able to erase the memories of the world population, or brainwash anyone to mindless slaves. She displays telepathy when speaking to the Ten-Tails' jinchuriki, but its full extent remains unknown. She can read people's thoughts, memories and feeling by just looking in their eyes, and fly at will. Flashbacks show her controlling the weather and causing cataclysmic thunderstorms wherever she wanted. She is described as able merge with her surroundings to control and change them. In the anime, Kaguya and her sons can cure ailments and heal injuries with a touch, even recreating destroyed organs.
She masters Yin (spiritual energy basis of illusions) and Yang (physical energy basis of vitality), and can combine them to blur the line between imagination and existence to warp reality, to create what she wants from nothing, alter or vanish things. She created Black Zetsu that way, by materializing her will into a living being with powers of its own. Hagoromo named it the Creation of All Things. His sons used a lesser variation to transform things and turn inanimate objects into living beings, and some of Indra’s descendants could use a derivation to alter their own fate.
As the Progenitor of all Chakra, Kaguya can absorb every technique and masters every element (conjuring fire, wind, lightning, earth or water) to a ludicrous extent. She might wield all existing powers in a latent state: from basics (walk on walls and water, shape-shifting, cloning), to the advanced (seals, summons, animated drawings, or combining elements into wood, steel, crystal, blood, ice, typhoons, storms, steam, acid, lava, heat, explosions, shadows...)
However, she never uses them and likely does not know how, since they were developed after she was sealed. That said, many techniques are lesser variation of her abilities and some of her abilities use the combined elements. Hagoromo’s students had to discover how to perform feats she could do naturally, so they likely derive from her.
Body Control and Physical Prowess
Kaguya is unbelievably fast, stepping large distances in milliseconds, leaving even the extremely fast heroes unable to see her move; and to catch foes off-guard before they can react. She shows exceptional reflexes, tremendous physical strength, and displays abilities in hand-to-hand fighting, easily blocking barrages of blows from expert martial artists, though she clearly lacks training and likely owes it to her god-like status more than actual skill.
She fully controls her body, moves her hair like limbs and changes their length, constricting her foes in a tentacle-shaped lock, swatting people and physical attacks away, and launching them like a beachcomber wave covering a huge area. Her Rabbit Hair Needle attack unleashes a continuous rapid-fire onslaught of hair, sharp enough to pierce immensely powerful defences. It covers a very wide area and can pierce tiny targets with pinpoint precision.
Kaguya's bones are her deadliest weapon. She can sprout them from her body for offence and defence, regrow them, grow additional ones, or make them harder than steel. With it, she grows horn-like bones from her back and extensible spear-like bones from her palms, striking at close range or firing them at enormous speed towards various targets at once.
This power is called Murderous Ash Bone, for who or what they strike crumbles into dust, beyond saving even for the mightiest healers. It is unknown whether a superficial graze is lethal though, but it is likely.
(In the video game Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, she uses bone-spears as close-range weapons, landing fencing strikes, slashes and flurries of stabs. She sprouts claw-like bones from her arm to block attacks and counter. She can fire waves of three to seven bone-spears, or wide barrages at high speed, either a single one or several in different directions, but none of those are one-hit-kill.)
Her descendants of the Kaguya Clan inherited a diluted version named the Macabre Bone Pulse. While weaker and not outright lethal, they use it more creatively:
Kaguya wields unparalleled levels of incredibly strong chakra. She can sense things and people all around, even hidden. She can stun people at contact and suppress their power, which can only be broken with a surge of chakra of comparable might.
She can also absorb chakra at contact and cancel all Ninjutsu; to overwhelm even someone as powerful as her children with continuous waves of white chakra; and to fire huge blasts of lilac-coloured chakra. In the video game Jump Force, she can even infuse her palms with her lilac chakra to strike.
She can surround herself with a lilac aura, create huge chakra claws over her hands, and unleash devastating blasts at close range; or shape her chakra at will, conjuring a giant claw around herself to charge. She can create giant chakra arms for her Eighty God Vacuum Fists attack: an onslaught of devastating punches, causing shockwaves of pure pressure. In Ninja Storm, she can unleash two on each side at once, followed by a final punch. In Jump Force, she can conjure a single giant chakra arm to punch.
Orbs of black chakra of variable size, described as a mix of the five elements and natural energy. They obliterate anything at contact, cancel normal techniques and overcome the mightiest regenerative powers. They can be hurled at targets, detonated in a devastating atomic blast, and reshaped with little limits, as a flurry of arrows, gigantic spikes, shields, floating platforms, giant hands, a malleable cloth-like fluid, and more; or even fused to increase their might.
Kaguya never displays the normal ones, but her mightiest attack by far is the Expansive Truth-Seeking Sphere: a planetoid-sized one combining the five basic elements with Yin, Yang and natural energy, that expands indefinitely and engulfs everything, until it obliterates an entire space-time dimension to recreate a new one.
In Ninja Storm, she can fill the entire sky with tower-sized spikes from it, grow more spikes or extensible arms from them, or fuse them into gigantic ones. Her ultimate attack, Final Truth-Seeking Sphere, detonates it in an apocalyptic blast. In Jump Force, she sends a smaller one that explodes in a devastating sphere of destruction.
Kaguya's eyes sport the Byakugan (All-Seeing White Eye), enabling her to see at 360° around her (with a possible blind spot at the base of the neck as her descendants do), see far away or through solid matter; and see the flow of chakra in things and people with perfect accuracy, sense people through their chakra, see through illusions, and discern basic clones. With it, she can watch over the entire world and beyond. Other wielders of her clan can even use it to see someone's destiny.
The Byakugan enables its wielders to strike with perfect accuracy, and to see the pressure points that regulate the flow of chakra. With it, they can send chakra inside their foes' body to cause internal damage, or strike the pressure points to disable their powers. Kaguya uses it to make her Rabbit Hair Needles strike pressure points.
Hamura and his descendants gained the Byakugan and even found a way to evolve it into the incredibly more powerful Tenseigan (Eye of Rebirth). Kaguya never used it, though they most likely got it from her.
Kaguya's third eye is the evolution of the Rinnegan (Samsara Eye) and its lesser form, the Sharingan (Eye of the Copy-Wheel). She gained the Rinne-Sharingan by eating the Chakra Fruit, which was made using a Ten-Tails, monsters which also possess Rinne-Sharingan. With it she can see can thousands of miles across, likely all over the globe, and attack targets on other countries. It is stated to grant her all the powers of the Sharingan, and she does know about its highest abilities, she is never shown to use them. Whether it grants the powers of the Rinnegan is not known, though Hagoromo and his descendants having inherited both makes it likely. This is also the source of her dimensional powers.
Control of the God-Tree
Kaguya has full control of the God-Tree. She can cast a spell called Divine Genesis World of Trees to control, animate and shape-shifts (as giant dragons or other things) its building-sized roots, expands them everywhere and make them erupt from the ground. They can even bind the Tailed Beasts and absorb chakra. She used it to encase the victims of the Infinite Tsukuyomi in a vegetal cocoon hanging from the roots, which regenerates when attacked. She then can draw power and chakra from the victims, who can only be saved by cancelling the Infinite Tsukuyomi. The victims are turned into White Zetsus, white plant-like humanoids blindly devoted to her.
Kaguya's most versatile power, named after Amenominakanushi: the first Shinto God and very heart of the universe. It grants her access to alternate dimensions she created. She can create an entire new dimension on the spot. Kaguya can instantly teleport to one of them, bring anyone and anything with her, removing them from the world with no hope of escaping. Hagoromo himself could not summon people back from them on his own.
Six distinct dimensions are seen. She has god-like control of them, being able to manipulate, alter or rewrite everything at will. As seen when animating and distorting landscape to attack. She can create and control the dimension's main aspect, encasing her foes in ice in her glacier dimension. In Ninja Storm she can use her dimension-related attacks at all times.
- The first dimension seen is a giant volcano in the middle of an endless lava field, with a palace near the top. The volcano is full of immense caverns with rock stalactites and little ground to move, highly dangerous for people who cannot fly due to the lava, extreme heat and toxic fumes. In Ninja Storm, she can conjure lava from the ground, before her or in every direction at close-range, and as a huge splash all around her or right under her foes.
- The second dimension seen is a chain of snowy mountains and chasms, with a palace atop a high cliff-wall. The landscape, freezing temperature, snow and occasional blizzards make it dangerous. In Ninja Storm, Kaguya can make icicles erupt from the ground, either one, several, a wave running along the ground in front of her, or many under her foes’ feet. She can also fly high and hurl three humongous icicles towards her foes.
- The third dimension seen is a never-ending sandy desert with scorching climate. In Ninja Storm, Kaguya can conjure up to three sand tornados of variable size, or a wave of sand along the ground before her.
- The fourth dimension seen is an uneven tundra filled with hills, cliffs and tablelands (with green sky in the anime). This is Kaguya's main dimension, serving as the link between the other five and the real world, enabling her to draw power and chakra from the God-Tree and the victims of the Infinite Tsukuyomi even there.
- The fifth dimension seen and the only one never entered during the story is a sea of highly corrosive acid, with no landscape and no other feature, absolutely deadly for anyone who cannot fly.
- The sixth dimension seen is a rocky field with the ground made of grey pyramidal rocks (dark-green rocks and purple sky in the anime), in which the gravity is so strong that no-one, not even Kaguya herself, can move normally. She can apparently concentrate the gravity on specific targets, and might be able to alter the gravity further.
A power named after the gliding pathway leading departed souls to the Underworld in Shinto Mythology, stated to be the basis of all the space-related powers. It opens rifts in the very fabric of space, linking two or more separate places or to her dimensions. She can open rifts of any size for as long as she pleases. She once created one large enough to make an entire moon visible in the sky to cast the Infinite Tsukuyomi, long before the Earth’s Moon was created.
They can teleport her, anyone and anything she wants everywhere; or to banish her foes into one of her dimensions. She opens and closes rifts too fast to avoid, and trying to pry them open is useless. She can warp her attacks and strike everywhere, making them unpredictable, extremely hard to dodge, and deadly when combined from all sides. She takes her foes by surprise by disappearing and reappearing behind them; or can escape to another dimension while making a small rift for her to watch through, to keep track of her foes and keep attacking them. It could easily send an attack dodged by her foes through a rift to strike again, or turn her enemies' attacks against them. She could even unleash a flurry of attacks, and harass foes by sending them over and over through multiple rifts around them.
In Ninja Storm, Kaguya can opens rifts to her Acid Dimension splashing waves of acid before her, or splashing acid upwards under her foes. She can also open many small rifts to both her Volcano and Glacier dimensions, to conjure a powerful onslaught of lava and ice spears in two different directions, or an even bigger, continuous onslaught of lava, ice, stone, acid and grey rock spears from all her dimensions towards three different directions at once. In the mobile game Naruto Collections, she opens multiple rifts to unleash tremendous barrage of Ash Bones from all sides.
Kaguya can transform into a rabbit-like variation of the Ten-Tailed Beast. It is absolutely gigantic and levitates in the sky, attacking with its extremely fast tails that absorb everything and everyone they grab. In Ninja Storm, it infuses its claws with red chakra; its roars causes waves of pressure; it breathes Tailed Beast Bombs and a giant golden beam; fires five, huge homing spikes from its tails, or long lasting purple beams or eight homing golden beams from the Tailed Beasts’ heads. It also uses Yomotsu Hirasaka to warp its tails through rifts and attack from all sides.
While Kaguya is obscenely overpowered, she is fortunately not invincible; enabling both her sons and centuries later the heroes to seal her. The first thing that prevented her from annihilating all opposition in five seconds flat was her staunch obsession with taking their chakra for herself, meaning that she spent most of the battle trying to capture them instead of going all-out from the start. Also, all of her victors were of demi-god status when fighting her, mighty enough to hold their own, especially when fighting in concert.
But the biggest factor to her defeat was that despite her nigh-unlimited power, Kaguya lacked the skill needed to use it effectively and she had infinitely less experience in battle and martial strategy than the heroes, who are all extremely adept in both fields. The weaker heroes proved able to defeat her through a combination of perfect mastery of their powers, multi-layered plans and careful teamwork. All in all, the battle against her is arguably the finest example of the story’s major theme: the superiority of skill, training and teamwork over sheer might, which can only lead one so far without perfect mastery of it.
Not to say that Kaguya is completely devoid of skill. As explained before, she displays some tactics, as seen when she makes surprise attacks, sometimes combined with direct ones to overwhelm her foes, takes precautions, and seeks to disable threats before dealing the finishing blow. It is just that she knows nothing of the martial arts developed after her sealing, is much too straightforward, and lacks much in long-term strategy and improvisation. As such, the heroes were able to surprize and outwit her several times.
Kaguya is obviously not used to foes she cannot cower immediately, and does not know how to save her strength. She spent the battle unleashing increasingly deadlier attacks; while the heroes were able to analyse her moves and to devise counters. And while she did overwhelm them many times, they could react, predict her actions, adapt their strategy and to lure her into traps, eventually besting her.
- Kaguya Ōtsutsuki is based on the Japanese folktale "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" or "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter", which is about a young girl found as a baby in a stalk of bamboo by an old bamboo cutter, who grows into a beautiful woman who starts crying whenever she looks at the Moon. She is courted by many nobles, including the Emperor himself, but she refuses their advances. She is eventually revealed to have come from the Moon and has to return to her people. (In some version she was exiled on Earth as a punishment, in others, she was sent there to be kept away from a grueling war.) She leaves a letter and a sample of the Elixir of Life as a farewell gift, but the grieving Emperor refuses to drink it, seeing no point in living forever without her. After she departs, the Emperor sends his men to the mountain closest to the Heavens to burn it, in hope that his last message would reach her. This mountain would later be named the Fuji Yama (Mountain of Immortality, or following different readings of the Japanese kanjis, Mountain Full of Warriors, referring to the Emperor's men.)
- Like her namesake, Kaguya came from outer space and is closely linked to the moon. In the anime, she even arrives in a bamboo field, spends most of her nights looking at the sky, and eventually gets involved with an Emperor. However, she never returns to the Moon (unless you count her final sealing), and she reciprocates the Emperor's feelings, before their relationship is ruined by war.
- Kaguya is also based on the Rabbit of the Moon, according to which a rabbit can be seen in the markings of the Moon, brewing the Elixir of Life for the Moon Goddess. According to the Buddhist legends, a rabbit once threw itself in a fire to serve as a meal for the Heavenly Lord Sakra; who honoured such a noble sacrifice by drawing the rabbit's likeness on the Moon.
- Kaguya's title, the Rabbit Goddess, refers to these legends. Also, her horns somehow look like a rabbit's ears and her unstable Ten-Tails form looks like a rabbit, with the huge sphere on its back from which protrudes its tails and the Tailed Beasts' heads somehow figures the Moon.
- The God-Tree that gave her godhood is linked to World Tree of many legends across the world; including Northern European, Central European, Turkish, Central Asian and Chinese Mythologies. It sports the entire worlds on its branches and links the Heavens, the Earth and the Underworld. It is also linked with similar Western legends about the Tree of Life and the Three of Knowledge.
- Kaguya defying the taboo and eating the fruit of a divine tree is also linked to the Christian Myths of Adam and Eve, in which the first woman is tempted by a serpent to eat the fruit of the divine Tree of Knowledge About Good and Evil, causing God's wrath and cursing humanity until the end of times.
- Kaguya's character and motivations are rather similar to the goddess Izanami. The eternal bliss of the Infinite Tsukuyomi being somehow similar to the Afterlife, and the White Zetsu Army being somehow similar to Izanami’s servants of the Dark World.
- For very long, a debate raged among fans, about whether Momoshiki, Kinshiki and Urashiki would have really been able to overthrow Kaguya. The narration repeatedly refers to them as an "even greater threat than Kaguya herself" and she herself is worried about their coming in the anime. The manga on the other hand, seems to imply that Kaguya was paranoid and could not stand the very prospect of people coming after her power.
- Judging from the facts, the heroes had to give everything to hold their own against Kaguya, and could only seal her again. On the other hand, Momoshiki had to absorb Kinshiki to stand a chance against Naruto and Sasuke, and was still eventually killed by Boruto Uzumaki, though at the time they were adults and significantly mightier so Momoshiki in that state could indeed threaten Kaguya. Meanwhile, transformed Urashiki was killed by Jiraiya (who Naruto had long surpassed), weakened Sasuke, Boruto and Kid Naruto.
- It is more or less admitted that while Momoshiki, Kinshiki and Urashiki are much better fighters than Kaguya, they are much weaker and still mortals. Should they have reached godhood like she did, they would doubtless have surpassed her. With Kinshiki's power, Momoshiki is estimated close to Kaguya's level, enough to pose a significant threat, especially with his greater fighting skills.
- However, it could be argued that Momoshiki could easily kill Kaguya. This is due to Kaguya's main form of attack being to continuously spam jutsu at her enemies with very little Taijutsu involved. Meanwhile Momoshiki was not just proficient in Taijutsu, physically powerful, but his main form of attack was to absorb offending jutsu, amplify it and send it back, meaning Kaguya would be hard pressed to deal any damage to him.
- Kaguya is the ancestor to just about every character with above-average abilities:
- She's the mother of Hagoromo, Hamura and Zetsu.
- She's the grandmother of Asura, Indra and any children Hamura may have had.
- The Senju, Uchiha, Uzumaki, Hyuga and Kaguya clans are all confirmed as being her descendants.
- Kaguya is also the progenitor for Earth-exclusive Dōjutsu (that the Otsutsuki clan do not possess) such as the Sharingan, Tenseigan, Ketsuryūgan, Senrigan and Ranmaru's, Shion's and Yome's unnamed Dōjutsu.