This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Pretty boy ain't gonna save ya this time!||„|
|~ Kano to Sonya Blade.|
|“||I'll take care of him, no charge. One dead Lin Kuei, in a tick!||„|
|~ Kano to Shang Tsung and Smoke in Mortal Kombat (2011).|
|“||Kano: Well, then. If mother won't play nice, maybe daughter will.
Sonya Blade: If you ever...
Kano: Back off, and all's well. Piss me off...and Cassie's gonna meet Uncle Kano.
|~ Kano threatening Sonya Blade's daughter, Cassie Cage, if she does not let him go free.|
|“||Older Kano: You weren't kidding. S'like a mirror, reflecting the past.
Younger Kano: How 'bout that, over fifty and still a ripper.
|~ Older Kano and Younger Kano meet.|
Kano is the treacherous, arrogant, and crude leader of the Black Dragon Clan, and a major antagonist in the Mortal Kombat series of fighting games. He holds a sick infatuation with Sonya Blade, much to her disgust. He is the arch-nemesis of Sonya and Johnny Cage.
He is also a supporting antagonist in the 1st Mortal Kombat game, a minor antagonist in Mortal Kombat II, a major antagonist in Mortal Kombat 3-Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, an anti-villain in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, a supporting antagonist in Mortal Kombat (2011), a minor antagonist in Mortal Kombat X, and a major antagonist in Mortal Kombat 11. He is also the main antagonist of Mortal Kombat: Special Forces.
- He was voiced by Richard Divizio in the original Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Mortal Kombat Advance.
- He was portrayed by Trevor Goddard in the 1995 movie.
- In Mortal Kombat: Legacy, he was portrayed by Darren Shahlavi, who also played Taylor Milos in Ip Man 2.
- He was portrayed by Josh Lawson in the 2021 movie.
Kano is a mercenary and Leader of the Black Dragon, one of the most dangerous, feared and respected Crime Cartels located in Earthrealm. At first, Kano appeared to be loyal to the Speical Forces. However, he was revealed to be a mole for the Black Dragon all along feeding false information to the Special Forces. Many Soldiers were killed in an operation gone wrong, including Soyna's partner. Since then, Sonya has harbored a great hatred for Kano. Kano has amassed a fortune selling his arms to other realms. Kano has become one of his own realm’s biggest threats, willing to betray his own realm and even his own allies for money or personal gain.
Kano gives the impression of an arrogant brute, which he is, but is quite intelligent. He has infiltrated several High Security Facilites and often hacks into computer systems, retrieving the information he is looking for. He rises beyond mere brutality and aggression by being sly and cunning. Kano is highly opportunistic and incredibly selfish. One of his most notable features is his facetious and twisted sense of humor, almost always making light of dire circumstances. He combines the features of a cowardly minion, a lone survivor, a crazed madman, and a ruthless commander. These features have contributed to Kano's constant survival against all odds.
Despite his ruthless nature, Kano does care about his men. He pays them well, so long as they do their work, and even saved Kabal's life. That said, he has no problem leaving them behind or killing them if they betray him or become less useful.
Powers and Abilities
Kano is a deadly adversary due to his resourcefulness, his master manipulation & opportunistic tactics. He engages in fights when the odd are in his favor. He tends to use other members of his team (Tasia, Jarek, Kabal, Erron Black, Tremor, No Face & BD Thugs/Mercenaries) to wear down his opposition, so he can have the advantage in a fight. Whether he is wearing you down for the advantage or forced to fight right away, Kano is an extremely adept hand-to-hand fighter and also displays great prowess with knives, particularly his signature weapon: a pair of butterfly knives. Kano has proven to be a challenge for even more skilled fighter. He is also very smart, his younger self was able to repair Sketor and produce many more Cyber Units after older Kano revealed Kronika's payment for their services. Furthermore, despite it not being canon, Kano created a virus that proved deadly enough to hack into the Speical Force's systems in Jax's ending.
In addition to his skills, Kano has had several cybernetic upgrades throughout his body, most notably his Eye Shield, which he can omit a laser beam from. An external Cybernetic Heart,tThis device serves as a Power Supply for all his Cybernetic Enhancements and when activated it boost their power/strength. It has recently been upgraded with a couple new functions, a Bio-Magnetic Trap: Kano tosses the "Heart" on the ground and if the opponent steps in it, they are unable to jump. It's second funtion is a Bio-Magnetic Pull: pulling the opponent closer to Kano allowing him to have a follow up attack. Although Kano depends on mostly on Cybernetic Enhancements and Weapons, he has no Supernatural Powers; but he does have a Special Ability to tuck into a cannonball and propel himself toward his opponents. He is also shown to be incredibly strong and powerful, as he can punch through a person body. He is even capable of punching through metal, ripping out vital organs, ripping off someone's head, and even rip out an entire skeleton out of his opponent with his bare hands. He is also strong enough to give Johnny Cage a run for his money although that's only with the latter's Shadow Poers.
- Black Dragon (Jarek, Tasia, No-Face, Kabal, Kira, BD Mercenaries & BD Thugs)
- Shao Kahn (killed by Raiden and the Elder Gods). Sometimes enemy.
- Shang Tsung
- Revenant Sindel (MIA)
- Revenant Smoke (MIA)
- Old Quan Chi (killed by Scorpion in MKX game)
- Noob Saibot (MIA)
- Tanya (MIA),
- D'Vorah (MIA)
- Old Baraka (killed by D'Vorah in MKX game).
- Mileena (killed by D'Vorah in MKX game)
- Motaro (killed by Raiden in MK 2011)
- Old Sektor (killed by Sub-Zero in MKX comics)
- Reiko (killed by Havik in MKX comics)
- Old Cyrax (killed himself in MKX comics)
- Old Skarlet (died from her wounds in MKX comics)
- Rain (MIA)
- Shinnok (On and off).
- Young Skarlet (MIA)
- Triborg (MIA and non-canon)
- Goro (dead)
- Old Kintaro (killed by Sonya, Cassie, and Jacqui in MKX comics)
- Young Erron Black
- Young Kano (from original timeline)
- Young Kabal (from original timeline, MIA)
- Young Sektor (from original timeline). Killed by making himself explode.
- Young Cyrax (from original timeline). Killed himself after turning back to normal.
- Young Shao Kahn (from original timeline).
- Old Erron Black
- Earthrealm heroes
- Liu Kang
- Kung Lao
- Old Sonya Blade (sacrificed herself)
- Raiden (currently retired mortal advisor to Liu Kang)
- Kurtis Stryker
- Johnny Cage
- Kabal (formerly)
- Kotal Kahn (former leader)
- Young Baraka
- Ferra & Torr
- Old Erron Black
- Old Sub-Zero
- Old Scorpion
- Li Mei
- Bo' Rai Cho
- Special Forces
- Cassie Cage
- Jacqui Briggs
- Young Liu Kang (from original timeline, currently a god)
- Young Johnny Cage (from original timeline)
- Young Jax Briggs (from original timeline)
- Young Sonya Blade (from original timeline)
- Young Kung Lao (from original timeline, current leader of the Shaolin Monks)
- Young Scorpion (from original timeline, current leader of the Shirai Ryu)
- Young Sub-Zero (from original timeline)
- Kano bears some resemblance to the Terminator and Ed Boon stated that his design was based on the T-800's appearance in Terminator 2, when the Terminator's face skin is peeled off, revealing his mechanical face.
- When Kano faced the Flash, he stated that he would give Kabal a run for his money.
- His fatality in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, where he reached down the opponent's mouth and pulled out their skeleton, was listed number 6 on Screwattacks' list of Top 10 Mortal Kombat Fatalities.
- In the games, Kano was originally intended to be Asian, but Trevor Goddard's portrayal of Kano as Australian in the Mortal Kombat movie was well liked by the developers, who incorporated aspects of it into subsequent games.
- A cyborg heavily based on Kano appears at the Bad Anon meeting in the Disney film Wreck-It Ralph. He is one of the villains who reassures Ralph that the way his people treated him was part of the program, and ripped out a zombie's heart as a shout-out to the games.
- Kano is also the moniker of a well-known UK grime MC.
- Kano was mostly bald in the digitized Mortal Kombat games. The same is true for his past self in Mortal Kombat 11.