This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||It ends… NOW!||„|
|~ King Arthur combining his anti-magic with Bellroc and Skrael's magic before firing it all at once at Camelot.|
|“||After I fell in battle, there was darkness, but they made me anew.||„|
|~ King Arthur revealing how he became the Green Knight.|
|“||Sister, how can I be at peace when the world is still broken?||„|
|~ King Arthur to his sister, Morgana.|
King Arthur, later known as the Green Knight, is a major antagonist in the Tales of Arcadia franchise. He is a background antagonist in Trollhunters, a minor antagonist in 3Below, the central antagonist of Wizards and a posthumous antagonist of Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans. He is also mentioned in the video game Trollhunters: Defenders of Arcadia.
He was the King of Camelot who waged a genocidal crusade against magical beings, especially trollkind and used Excalibur for evil intentions instead of good ones after his wife, Guinevere, was killed by a Stalking, even though the trolls he pursues had nothing to do with her. When Arthur became the Green Knight, he deliberately joined the Arcane Order and went along with their plot to find Nari and the Genesis Seals so their leader, Bellroc, and second-in-command, Skrael, could unlock the Genesis Seals and awaken the Titans alongside Nari and use them to destroy the universe and remake the world as they see fit. He is also Morgana's brother and killer.
King Arthur is a largely-built man who appears to be in his forties, having light brown hair, blue eyes, and fair skin, as well as a mustache and beard with thick eyebrows. He is clad in white armor with golden outlines, and wears a crown with a blue gem. His sword, Excalibur, has a green gem on it.
After he becomes the Green Knight, his skin becomes cracked and gray and he now has dark gray hair and black eyes with glowing yellow pupils. He now wears dark green armor and a helmet of the same color with antler-like horns.
He now uses a corrupted Excalibur as his weapon, which is also dark green and has glowing yellow highlights.
|“||Arthur, you spent your life fighting magic, but now you serve demigods who seek to destroy everything. You killed Merlin with no remorse. Where is my Arthur?||„|
|~ Morgana trying to reach out to King Arthur to no avail.|
King Arthur is a hypocritical, vengeful, and prejudiced man who was overcome by his own drama. Even when he was a boy, he hated magical beings, as he saw them as demons and abominations, which was shown when he swung his sword at Nari in the Wild Wood when he, Morgana, and Guinevere were children.
His genocidal intent with them started when his wife, Guinevere, went into the woods with Morgana one day and was killed by a Stalkling. Since he was genuinely in love with her, King Arthur was filled with rage because the Stalkling killed her, and had genocidal intent on all magical beings regardless of whether or not they were good or evil. He went as far as to raiding the lands of innocent trolls and having them locked up in his dungeons, with Deya given her human name Callista and claiming that he has a twisted sense of humor. He also had no qualms with torturing trolls to their deaths, as he tried to have his knights drag Jim into the sunlight so he would slowly and painfully turn to stone while claiming that it's because he left the Wild Wood, even though he had his knights take Jim, Douxie, Claire, and Steve out of the Wild Wood in the first place.
Eventually, after he made Morgana fall to her death by slashing off her left hand and the attack of a Changeling she sent to kill him, Arthur became immensely remorseful of his actions, and thus desired to stop the violence he has created by stopping Gunmar and his army of Gumm-Gumms, who were bloodthirsty and merciless, in an effort to find redemption. He even made an alliance with Vendel to stop them with the Amulet of Daylight, which Merlin later created with Douxie's help, choosing Callista to become the first Trollhunter. During the Battle of Killahead Bridge, he admitted to Morgana that humans and magical beings were equal and that he should've listed to her, but was killed by the Arcane Order shortly after.
After he was resurrected by Bellroc and Skrael and became the Green Knight, King Arthur adopted their plot to destroy all of existence and remake the Earth as the only thing left, by capturing Nari to unlock the Genesis Seals, awaken the Titans, and connect them with the last primordial Heartstone beneath the center of the universe, which would come to be the town of Arcadia. All of this was because he was convinced that he was far too sinful and that it was the only way to redeem himself, as he saw the world as beyond redemption because it was too violent. However, he still violently killed Merlin, as well as Morgana later on, without regret because they were in his way, even though Merlin was his advisor and Morgana was his sister.
Powers and Abilities
|“||This is pointless! I am IMMUNE to your magics!||„|
|~ King Arthur taunting Morgana because her magic is deflected by his own armor.|
As both himself and as the Green Knight, King Arthur proved to be a dangerous foe, being able to use his excellent fighting tactics and magical weaponry against multiple enemies at once. In fact, when he was the Green Knight, he was so dangerous that during the 21st century, Merlin even described him as a bad omen of things to come.
- Anti-Magic: As the Green Knight, King Arthur was able to use his anti-magic to deflect any magical attacks that are used against him. The color of his anti-magic is a greenish-yellow.
- Enhanced Durability: King Arthur was far more durable than a normal human, as he was very capable of great strength. As the Green Knight, he could leap from hundreds of feet and land without any injuries, and by then, the only thing capable of killing him at last was Camelot's rubble crushing him to his death.
- Corruption: With his bewitched Excalibur, King Arthur could use his Onyx Shards to corrupt other beings against their will so that he could use them in his notorious goals.
- Magical Blasts: As himself, King Arthur could use Excalibur to fire golden magic into the sky. As the Green Knight, he could fire magical blasts towards his target. When combined with Bellroc and Skrael's magic, King Arthur's magical blasts prove to be very effective to the point where it caused Camelot to crash into and destroy Arcadia Oaks High.
- Telekinesis: As the Green Knight, King Arthur was able to move things without even touching them, which was shown when he used his anti-magic to move Nari in her icy prison to where he wanted her.
- Swordsmanship: King Arthur was extremely capable of using Excalibur in combat, even against magical foes.
- Leadership: King Arthur was able to lead his armies into war, and was also very skilled in making decisions for the kingdom of Camelot.
- Intelligence: King Arthur was shown to be strategic in battle, as during his battle against Morgana outside of Camelot, he used Excalibur to slice off Morgana's hand when she prepared to kill him with her golden magic. As the Green Knight, he dodged Claire's portals that led to the Shadow Realm, and also dodged Merlin's magic that briefly chained Bellroc and Skrael.
|Appearances in the Franchise|
- This version of King Arthur is portrayed as the original folklore character and the Green Knight as a single character. Interestingly enough, even before his reveal, there is some foreshadowing that King Arthur and the Green Knight are one and the same:
- Both King Arthur and the Green Knight call Douxie a "boy". They also both call Jim a "beast".
- The Green Knight bears the emblem of Camelot which Merlin mentions in the episode "Spellbound", which implies that the Green Knight is affiliated with Camelot in some way.
- The metal antler-like horns on top of the Green Knight's helmet look similar to a traditional crown.
- The design of the Green Knight's sword is similar to Excalibur's.
- Morgana is horrified when the Green Knight unmasks himself in front of her and tells her that they must now finish what they began together. Earlier in the Battle of Killahead Bridge, he tells Morgana that they can end the carnage and deaths together in the battle and that it is their redemption, which was after she told him that he was trying to trick her.
- He is also the only version of King Arthur from a DreamWorks franchise to be a villain so far.
- Morgana and King Arthur go through opposite story arcs with Morgana going from unstable, evil then good and King Arthur goes from good/questionable only to Morgana, unstable after her "death", then evil after his resurrection.
More to be added