This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||I could never grab hold of anything. Anything at all. I abandoned my home. I abandoned my wife and children. I abandoned my humanity. I cut down my descendants and abandoned being a samurai. But even all that wasn't enough? You said that those who master their paths all reach the same place. But I never did. I could not see the same world that you did. Why could I not leave anything behind? Why could I not become someone known? Why are we so different? Why in the world was I ever born? Tell me... Yoriichi.||„|
|~ Kokushibo's final thoughts|
Kokushibo (黑死牟) is the secondary antagonist of the manga/anime series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is the strongest member of the Twelve Kizuki, being the Upper Rank One and the archenemy of his younger twin brother, Yoriichi Tsugikuni.
His real name is Michikatsu Tsukiguni (繼國 巖勝) who is the elder brother of the first Sun Breathing user, Yoriichi Tsugikuni, and it's speculated that he is also a member of the Breathing Styles User because of his skills of the Moon Breathing.
Kokushibo's physical appearance shares a striking similarity with Yoriichi, his own brother. He has long black hair of which he kept as a ponytail. Before his turning point, he shows no difference to normal human. However, after becoming a demon, his appearance significantly changed, with his face covered in three sets of yellow eyes with red sclerae, with six eyes in all.
Mysterious, composed, grim, serious and yet somewhat honorable, Kokushibo is a serious person who loves to fight, and never plays around. He is also the most loyal enforcer of Muzan's Upper Moon system, willing to punish Akaza for breaking the rule and attack Doma, though he does suggest Akaza to fight Doma and earn his place if the latter really disgusts him.
Despite being a demon, Kokushibo relies more on his swordsmanship and Breath of the Moon techniques rather than using the supernatural Demon Blood Arts. His past also revealed himself to be a distraught and broken man who was sad over his shortened lifespan and with a great fear of death, as well as a grudge born out of jealousy towards his younger brother to the point of making a notion to kill him.
In spite of his cruelty, Kokushibo is also an honorable person who gives respect to opponents he considered worthy. He is more prone to making humans into demons if he considered them to be worthy of use or being respectful warriors with a sad past, and unlike Muzan and Doma, it was suggested that he genuinely valued their strength and sees them as birds of a feather to himself.
Even so, deep down, he was a broken man who was feared of his own demise and was deeply jealous over his brothers' survival even with his mark, and he will hunt him down and kill them because of such jealousy.
Powers and Abilities
Demon Slayer Mark (鬼殺痣 Kisatsu Aza): A special Mark worn by certain "awakened" Demon Slayers that resembles demon crests. Its specific abilities are unknown, but what is know is that it drastically improves the abilities of the Demon Slayer, making them much stronger, faster and able to react quicker than what they can achieve normally, though at the cost of being cursed to die at the age of 25. As a demon, not only was Kokushibo no longer bound by the curse, but the Mark's abilities were enhanced even further than when he was a human.
- Transparent World (透き通る世界 Sukitōru Sekai): Similar to Tanjiro, Kokushibo has obtained the ability to constantly see the "Transparent World" through the use of his three pairs of eyes. This allows him to see the muscles, blood flow, and joint movement of his opponents. He can accurately predict and anticipate the movements and attacks of his opponents with this ability. He was also able to identify that Muichiro was his descendant, immediately discern the skill level of Muichiro, Sanemi, and Gyomei with one look, and see that Genya Shinazugawa consumed Demons to gain strength by looking into his cellular structures.
Moon Breathing (月の呼吸 Tsuki no kokyū): Like Kaigaku, Kokushibo was a Demon that utilized Breathing Styles. His combat style, in particular, is one of the most dangerous and powerful combat styles displayed thus far. The Moon Breathing combat style mimics crescent shaped moons with every sword slash conforming to the shape of a crescent moon. Enhanced with his Blood Demon Art, he can create many chaotic crescent moon blades when slashing that vary in length and size in crescent shaped sword attacks. Kokushibo himself had continued to develop this breathing style and had created over a dozen techniques over the centuries he had lived.
- First Form: Dark Moon, Evening Palace (壱ノ型 闇月・宵の宮 Ichi no kata: Yamidzuki - Yoi no Miya) - Kokushibo quickly draws his sword and slashes swiftly in a singular horizontal motion in a crescent shape, creating numerous chaotic crescent blades. This technique is extremely reminiscent of Iaijutsu.
- Second Form: Pearl Flower Moongazing (弐ノ型 珠華の弄月 Ni no kata: Shuka no Rōgetsu) - Kokushibo performs several crescent-shaped slashes that defend him from incoming attacks, sending a barrage of crescent blades.
- Third Form: Loathsome Moon, Chains (参ノ型 厭忌月・銷り San no kata: Enkidzuki - Tsugari) - Kokushibo swings his sword rapidly in two gigantic crescent slashes, from which a storm of smaller crescents spread, causing huge destruction in a small area.
- Fifth Form: Moon Spirit Calamitous Eddy (伍ノ型 月魄災渦 Go no kata: Geppaku Saika) - Kokushibo makes multiple curved slashes layered over one another, resembling a rising vortex. Sanemi noted that Kokushibo performed this attack without swinging his blade.
- Sixth Form: Perpetual Night, Lonely Moon - Incessant (陸ノ型 常夜孤月・無間 Roku no kata: Tokoyo Kogetsu - Muken) - Kokushibo releases a wild barrage of crescent-shaped slashes in front of him. This technique was powerful enough to not only slice up multiple Hashira around him but also overwhelm the Wind Hashira Sanemi Shinazugawa.
- Seventh Form: Mirror of Misfortune, Moonlit (漆ノ型 厄鏡・月映え Shichi no kata: Yakkyo - Dzukibae) - Kokushibo swings his sword in a powerful frontal slash that then creates a multi directional frontal assault, powerful enough to create several deep gouges in the ground and push back two Hashira.
- Eighth Form: Moon-Dragon Ringtail (捌ノ型 月龍輪尾 Hachi no kata: Getsuryū Rinbi) - Kokushibo triples the range of his normal attack radius and creates a singular gigantic slash that slowly decreases in size.
- Ninth Form: Waning Moonswaths (玖ノ型 降月・連面 Ku no kata: Kudaridzuki - Renmen) - Kokushibo creates a stream of long-ranged crescent-shaped vertical and horizontal slashes along with numerous crescent moon blades with the gigantic version of his sword.
- Tenth Form: Drilling Slashes, Moon Through Bamboo Leaves (拾ノ型 穿面斬・蘿月 Jū no kata: Senmenzan - Rogetsu) - Kokushibo creates a long-ranged triple-layered slash twister full of crescent moon blades with the gigantic version of his sword.
- Fourteenth Form: Catastrophe, Tenman Crescent Moon (拾肆ノ型 兇変・天満繊月 Jū Shi no kata: Kyōhen - Tenmen Sengetsu) - Kokushibo uses the gigantic version of his sword and creates a chaotic vortex of powerful extremely long-ranged omni-directional slashes that destroys whatever is caught up within its attack radius.
- Sixteenth Form: Moonbow, Half Moon (拾陸ノ型 月虹・片割月 Jū Roku no kata: Gekkō - Katawaredzuki) - Kokushibo creates a barrage of downward crescent slashes from an extremely long and wide range, resulting in a powerful six-fold slash crashing down on his opponents; the attack itself is powerful enough to create several miniature craters where the slashes have landed.
- Moon Breathing Style swordsmanship used by Kokushibou is likely to have been corrupted from its original forms since Kokushibou as a Demon has an ability to use Blood Demon Art. Blood Demon Art and Total Concentration Breathing Styles can be used together with an enhanced effect.
- Part of his name, Kokushi, means "Black Death".