This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||The old and ugly creature that was once my little brother had pity for me. But... I wasn't angry. Even thought 60 years he had been such an eyesore. The voice calling me "brother" was terribly hoarse. My brother had never shown the slightest emotion... so at the sight of him shedding tears, something welled up in me for the first time since birth. I was confused... at my own unexpected unrest. I must kill... this part of me from when I was human... This old man of brittle flesh past his prime... He was a Demon Slayer, and I must cleave anyone who turns a sword upon me. But his odd sentimentality... disappeared the next moment.||„|
|~ Kokushibo's thoughts when he saw Yoriichi's tears|
Kokushibo (黒死牟) is the secondary of the manga/anime series, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is the strongest member of Twelve Kizuki, being the Upper Rank One and the archenemy of his younger twin brother, Yoriichi Tsugikuni.
It was also revealed that he is also the ancestor of Yuichiro Tokito and the Mist Pillar, Muichiro Tokito before becoming the strongest of the Upper Moons and the right-hand man of Muzan Kibutsuji.
His real name is Michikatsu Tsukiguni (継国 厳勝) who is the elder brother of the first Breath of the Sun user, Yoriichi Tsugikuni, and it's speculated that he is also a member of the Breath Users because of his skills of the Moon Breathing.
Kokushibo's physical appearance shares a striking similarity with Yoriichi, his own brother. He has long black hair of which he kept as a ponytail. Before his turning point, he shows no difference to normal human. However, after becoming a demon, his appearance significantly changed, with his face covered in three sets of yellow eyes with red sclerae, with six eyes in all.
Mysterious, composed, grim, serious and yet somewhat honorable, Kokushibo is a serious person who loves to fight, and never plays around. He is also the most loyal enforcer of Muzan's Upper Moon system, willing to punish Akaza for breaking the rule and attack Doma, though he does suggest Akaza to fight Doma and earn his place if the latter really disgusts him.
Despite being a demon, Kokushibou relies more on his swordsmanship and Breath of the Moon techniques rather than using the supernatural Demon Blood Arts. His past also revealed himself to be a distraught and broken man who was sad over his shortened lifespan and with a great fear of death, as well as a grudge born out of jealousy towards his younger brother to the point of making a notion to kill him.
In spite of his cruelty, Kokushibou is also an honorable person who gives respect to opponents he considered worthy. He is more prone to making humans into demons if he considered them to be worthy of use or being respectful warriors with a sad past, and unlike Muzan and Douma, it was suggested that he genuiuely valued their strength and sees them as birds of a feather to himself.
Even so, deep down, he was a broken man who was feared of his own demise and was deeply jealous over his brothers' survival even with his mark, and he will hunt him down and kill them because of such jealousy.
Powers and Abilities
Moon Breathing (月の呼吸 Tsuki no kokyū): Like Kaigaku, Kokushibo was a Demon that utilized Breathing Styles. His combat style, in particular, is one of the most dangerous and powerful combat styles displayed thus far. The Moon Breathing combat style mimics crescent shaped moons with every sword slash conforming to the shape of a crescent moon. Enhanced with his Blood Demon Art, he can create many chaotic crescent moon blades when slashing that vary in length and size in crescent shaped sword attacks. Kokushibo himself had continued to develop this breathing style and had created over a dozen techniques over the centuries he had lived.
- First Form: Dark Moon - Evening Palace (壱ノ型 闇月・宵の宮 Ichi no kata: Yamidzuki - Yoi no Miya) - Kokushibo draws his sword and slashes swiftly in a single motion; like with all Moon Breathing techniques, numerous chaotic crescent blades originate from the slash. This technique is reminiscent of Iaijutsu.
- Second Form: Pearl Flowers Moongazing (弐ノ型 珠華の弄月 Ni no kata: Shuka no Rōgetsu) - Kokushibo performs several slashes that defend him from incoming attacks while also creating a barrage of crescent blades.
- Third Form: Loathsome Moon - Chains (参ノ型 厭忌月・銷り San no kata: Enkidzuki - Tsugari) - Kokushibo swings his sword rapidly in two gigantic crescent slashes, from which a storm of smaller crescents spread. This technique causes huge destruction in a small area.
- Fifth Form: Moon Spirit Calamitous Eddy (伍ノ型 月魄災渦 Go no kata: Geppaku Saika) - Kokushibo makes multiple curved slashes layered over one another, resembling a rising vortex. Sanemi noted that Kokushibo performed this attack without swinging his blade.
- Sixth Form: Perpetual Night, Lonely Moon - Incessant (陸ノ型 常夜孤月・無間 Roku no kata: Tokoyo Kogetsu - Muken) - Kokushibo releases a wild barrage of crescent-shaped slashes in front of him. This technique was powerful enough to not only slice up multiple Hashira around him but also overwhelm the Wind Hashira Sanemi Shinazugawa.
- Seventh Form: Mirror of Misfortune - Moonlit (漆ノ型 厄鏡・月映え Shichi no kata: Yakkyo - Dzukibae) - Kokushibo swings his sword in a powerful frontal slash that then creates a multi directional frontal assault, powerful enough to create several deep gouges in the ground and push back two Hashira.
- Eighth Form: Moon-Dragon Ringtail (捌ノ型 月龍輪尾 Hachi no kata: Getsuryū Rinbi) - Kokushibo triples the range of his normal attack radius and creates a singular gigantic slash that slowly decreases in size.
- Ninth Form: Waning Moonswaths (玖ノ型 降月・連面 Ku no kata: Kudaridzuki - Renmen) - Kokushibo creates a seemingly endless stream of claw-like vertical and horizontal slashes, capable of cutting down his intended target from a long range.
- Tenth Form: Drilling Slashes - Moon Through Bamboo Leaves (拾ノ型 穿面斬・蘿月 Jū no kata: Senmenzan - Rogetsu) - Kokushibo creates a triple-layered slash twister, capable of mowing down his targets into three clean pieces.
- Fourteenth Form: Catastrophe - Tenman Crescent Moon (拾肆ノ型 兇変・天満繊月 Jū Shi no kata: Kyōhen - Tenmen Sengetsu) - One of the Moon Breathing's most powerful techniques. An advanced and more powerful version of Kokushibo's Fifth Form. He swings his sword and creates a chaotic vortex of powerful omni-directional slashes that destroys whatever is caught up within its attack radius.
- Sixteenth Form: Moonbow - Half Moon (拾陸ノ型 月虹・片割月 Jū Roku no kata: Gekkō - Katawaredzuki) - Possibly the Moon Breathing's most powerful technique. Kokushibo creates a barrage of downward crescent slashes, resulting in a powerful sixfold slash crashing down on his opponents; the attack itself is powerful enough to create several miniature craters where the slashes have landed. As this technique is so wide-ranged, it is able to easily surround and overwhelm multiple enemies at once.
|“||Wonderful. The perfect physical form developed to the utmost. How long has it been since I've set my eyes on such a great swordsman, perhaps 300 years?||„|
|~ Kokushibou complimenting Gyomei's peak physical condition|
|“||You merely shredded my kimono, not even enough to kill an infant. Once I dispatch you two, the rest will proceed easily.||„|
|~ Kokushibo as he revealed his evolved blade|
|“||You came Demon Slayer. For some reason, hmm? You, you seem familiar.||„|
|~ Kokushibou to Muchiro|
|“||Be thankful for the blood... You are not allowed to spill even a single drop on the ground... for if you do... your torso and head shall have a sorrowful parting.||„|
|~ Kokushibou to Kaigaku|
|“||You opened a path... to reach further heights... and you abandoned it... Very weak.||„|
|~ Kokushibou in response to Akaza's demise|
|“||Have I lived hundred of years for this?... Was I so afraid of defeat that I became a monster?... Did I want to be strong even if it meant eating people?... Did I become this miserable creature because I didn't want to die?... No... Yoriichi... I just... I wanted to be like you...||„|
|~ Kokushibou's thoughts as he started slowly dying|
|“||What is the meaning for me to be brought up to this world? Answer me... Yoriichi...||„|
|~ Kokushibou's final thoughts|
- Breath of the Moon Style swordsmanship used by Kokushibou is likely to have been corrupted from its original forms since Kokushibou as a Demon has an ability to use Blood Demon Art. Blood Demon Art and Total Concentration Breathing Styles can be used together with an enhanced effect.
- Part of his name, Kokushi, means "Black Death".