This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Haha, you're trembling... Is it the cold, or just cowardice?||„|
|~ Signora during the battle with the Traveler|
|“||I am a Snezhnayan diplomat. You know what happens if you lay a finger on me... I swear, if you strike me, I will make sure... The Fatui will make sure that your precious Inazuma... Stop! I order you! And you! Filthy rats... All of you!||„|
|~ La Signora's final words before she is killed by the Raiden Shogun.|
Rosalyne-Kruzchka Lohefalter, better known as La Signora, and also known as The Fair Lady and her previous moniker The Crimson Witch of Flames, is a major antagonist of Genshin Impact.
She was the 8th of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers of the Fatui. She first appears at the end of Act 3, serving as the ultimate antagonist of the Prologue to the Archon Quests before returning as the overarching antagonist of Chapter 1 and later the central antagonist of Chapter 2, being the main antagonist of the third act.
Despite her beauty and sophisticated nature, La Signora was in fact a member of Fatui, a malicious group of diplomats from Snezhnaya led by the Eleven Fatui Harbingers and occupies the 8th Seat inside of the organization. While a loyal member of Fatui, she was not popular among the other members and was widely disliked by most of them. Highly arrogant and sadistic, La Signora was a prideful and narcissistic witch who aims to steal other Gnoses from other gods from The Seven and other nations for unknown purposes, likely relating to the Tsaritsa's goals. In her defeat by the Traveler, she was executed by the Raiden Shogun. She was later buried by the 9 of her fellow Harbingers.
She is voiced by Yui Shouji in Japanese, who also voiced Abnes in Hyper Dimension Neptunia.
|“||Don't you dare speak back to me, insolent bard.||„|
|~ La Signora to Venti.|
La Signora is a woman of great taste and sophistication, dressed in high-quality clothes and flaunting her looks, authority and powers to other people she consider to be mostly inferior to her; her personality is also a catalyst to why some Fatui members dislike her for her arrogant behavior. She is also power hungry when she stole Venti's powers.
Despite her arrogance, she was shown to be rather protective over her master and brutally assaulted Venti for daring to speak bad qualities about her Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya, a god he used to be friend more than 500 years ago. It is likely her insolence towards Venti (the human vessel of Barbatos the Anemo Archon) is somehow related to her lover's death due to the Cataclysm, which was said to be instigated by the Gods, which attributes to both Signora and the Tsaritsa's mutual goals of ending the "corruption of the Abyss and the ignorant gods".
In the end when she was defeated by the Traveler, she is shown to be a coward when trying to order Raiden Shogun to stay away from her as well telling the Shogun if she kill her, the entire Fatui will come and destroy Inazuma before calling the Shogun, the Traveler and Paimon as "filthy rats" only to be executed by the Shogun.
The woman who would later become La Signora originated from approximately around 500 years ago as a maiden from Mondstadt who falls in love with a member of the Knights of Favonius named Rostam. At some point, her lover Rostam would bestow her a hydro timepiece to keep track of the time she would be away studying at the Sumeru Academia.
After returning, she would later hear the news that Rostam died during the battle against the monsters spawned at the aftermath of the Cataclysm. Mourning for her lover's eventual demise, she used her life's "flame" to cleanse the world's wickedness, eventually becoming the Crimson Witch of Flames, seeking revenge against those who were responsible to Rostam's death. Rumors have said that she had abandoned her mortal form to let the fiery liquid flow through herself. Despite burning away all the monsters, the people still feared her presence.
At some point in time, Pierro, the Jester recruited her to become the 8th Harbinger of the Fatui. She was given a Cryo Delusion to abate the intense heat flowing through her and to conceal her "erased" past. She claims to have a similar goals with the Tsaritsa: to cleanse the world from ignorant Gods and the corruption of the Abyss.
La Signora is an old member of the Fatui that rules the land of Snezhnaya and serves the Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya with the best of her abilities. She makes her first appearance at the end of Act 3 of the Prologue when she was sent by her master to steal Venti's Gnosis.
After the Venti and the Traveler walk away from the Mondstadt Cathedral, La Signora accompained by her agents and mages strike the group by surprise, quickly apprehending them and taunting Venti who was too weak to be considered a "god" by Mondstadt country. While she easily defeated Venti, her agents hold back the Traveler allowing her to easily pull out Venti's Gnosis for her master. She then decides to leave before the Knights of Favonius can spot her and recognize her as a member of the malicious Fatui, knocking out both Traveler and Venti.
Weeks later, Zhongli (also known as the mortal form of Rex Lapis the Geo Archon of Liyue) was approached by Signora under the influence of Tsaritsa once said deity decided to "retire" from his duty as the guardian of Liyue and leave the land to be taken care of by the mortals. Both Signora and Zhongli formed "a contract to end all contracts" and both used Tartaglia and his Fatui division as their pawn and form an incident that would shake Liyue to the core by faking the death of their Archon. Rex is purportedly "assassinated" during the titular Rite, and his vessel - known as the Exuvia - was taken away to the Golden House by the Liyue Qixing to hide the body from potential threats like the Fatui that were the first to receive the blame. When the battle was over with the defeat of Fatui and the ancient god unleashed by Childe to destroy Liyue and lure the Geo Archon to him, Signora revealed her plan to Childe and the Traveler at the Northland Bank as Zhongli handed his own Geo Gnosis to Signora. From that point on, Childe's disdain for Signora only got worse to the point he refused to share the same boat with Signora when returning back to Snezhnaya.
In Inazuma, the Traveler discovers that Signora (and Kujou Takayuki) were behind the Fatui's involvement in the Vision Hunt Decree and their plan to distribute Delusions to the members of the Watatsumi Army. At the Tenshukaku, they discover the Raiden Shogun against Signora, angered by her punishing Kujou Sara. The Traveler takes to the Raiden Shogun's side, to which Signora reminds them that they are still a wanted criminal. They decide to call a duel before the throne of Inazuma, which Signora and the Raiden Shogun accept. Signora chooses to battle the Traveler due to her hatred of them, and transforms into her true identity as the Crimson Witch of Flame. Despite her powerful magic, the Traveler bests Signora, much to her shock. The Raiden Shogun then arrives and strikes Signora down with the Musou no Hitotachi, with Signora telling the Shogun if she kills her, the entire Fatui will come and destroy Inazuma until Signora calling her, the Traveler and Paimon "filthy rats" before disintegrating into ashes. The Traveler then takes the Funerary Mask (Signora's crown) as a trophy.
La Signora's death made a huge impact to the Fatui: some remaining members swore revenge against the Raiden Shogun while some returned back to Snezhnaya in hopes of waiting for a successor Harbinger replacing her position. Some other Fatui then used this as an opportunity to promote lower-ranking officers. After her death, the Fatui retrieved her body and the remaining Fatui Harbingers arranged her burial inside their base of operations, the Zapolyarny Palace. The Fatui's working time had been halted for half a day in mourning of her passing.
Powers and Abilities
La Signora was "blessed" by Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya via her subordinate, Pierro with cryokinesis powers, and shown to create solid frozen surfaces with a single snap. Much like other Harbingers, she received the "god-like executive authority" by the Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya to rule over Snezhnaya region. As the Crimson Witch of Flames, Signora possessed pyrokinesis, capable of drawing out intense heat and fire-based abilities throughout her surroundings.
- Leadership: La Signora is the 8th of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers. As a charismatic leader, she is revered by the lesser ranks of the Fatui.
- Cryokinesis: Utilizing cryokinesis via a Delusion given to her by Pierro, Signora is capable of numerous ice-based abilities such as creating snowstorm, hailstorms, and even an ice shield. Her Delusion is even so powerful that it sealed the fiery heat of her body. During the battle at the Tenshukaku, Signora's cryokinesis is so intense that it can cause hypothermia.
- Transformation: Signora can transform into the Crimson Witch of Flames at will.
- Pyrokinesis: As the Crimson Witch of Flames, Signora can utilize fire-based abilities. She can summon fiery butterflies, flaming tornadoes, fireballs, and even a searing whip. Her body's heat was so intense that it brought inferno around the Tenshukaku and may even cause hyperthermia at prolonged exposure.
- God-like Powers: As a Fatui Harbinger, Signora has a near-godly status. This also provided her with enhanced strength, durability, and reflexes as the Crimson Witch of Flames. She has been seen even defeating Venti at their first confrontation. Although despite her immense powers, she lost in a duel with the Traveler and ultimately was killed by Raiden Shogun.
- Enhanced Strength: Signora has a strength beyond a normal human can do. She was seen knocking out Venti, the Anemo Archon with a single kick, defeating Kujou Sara to avoid her interference, and even demonstrated her strength as the Crimson Witch of Flames.
- Enhanced Durability: She shows great durability, even more so during her transformation. She can survive fatal blows and is highly resistant against both Cryo and Pyro aligned abilities.
- Enhanced Agility and Reflexes: Signora can teleport with her Pyro powers to avoid attacks.
- Longevity: Signora has lived for around more than 500 years.
- Much like other Fatui Harbingers' aliases, her name is derived from a stock character in commedia dell'arte, a type of comedy Italian theater. Commedia is a form of theatre characterized by masked "types" that is design to represent a character in the show. The La Signora character is typically represented as "tough, beautiful, and calculating" character. She is also proud and enjoys mocking others, something that was probably used to inspire her overall character.
- "La Signora" means "The Lady" in Italian.
- Her real name has different meanings: Rosalyne translates to "pretty rose" in Latin, Kruzchka means "cup" in Russian, and Lohefalter translates to "blazing butterfly" in German.
- The base character for her inspiration from Honkai Impact 3rd may be Bianca Durandal Astegina, much like how the Unknown God was based from Herrscher of the Void. However, evidences suggest that she was more likely inspired by Catherine the Great whom curiously is also related to ice and Russian elements. Moreover, Snezhnaya, the region where La Signora currently rules over also draws Russian themes.
- Her core theme is the moth and the number eight. Both of them represent resurrection due to moth symbolizes rebirth, change, transformation and resurrection in the Native American mythology almost like Phoenix in European and Arabic mythology and number eight represent a new beginning, new order of creation and mankind being reborn again in terms of biblical connection. This could make sense in context as Signora was reborn as the Crimson Witch of Flames after enduring a tragic event which resulted on the loss of her love-life and ended up pledging her allegiance with the Tsaritsa after she and one of the Harbingers rescued her from eternal flame that burned her body.
- Ironically, the number eight represents luck in Chinese culture. Despite this, she was shown to be unlucky as she was killed off by the Raiden Shogun after the duel against the Traveler.
- During the Chinese Livestream of 2.1., it was shown that the developers were complementing with the number eight with La Signora as they use six designers and two animators to create her and it took eight months to create her and her boss fight.
- If the player looks closely at the Tsaritsa's line on Shivada Jade Gemstone, it is possible that the Tsaritsa talks to Signora and express a pity towards her tragic and sad life and it could be possibly implied that she is the Tsaritsa's favorite harbinger due to her being tasked to take the Gnosis from other Archons in other nations despite what the low-rank Fatui members said about Harbingers being easily replaceable.
A Post-Honkai Odyssey
Other Human Factions
Red Fang Gang