|“||Rafaam: So you're probably wondering why I gathered you here. Let me take a moment and break it down. We've been given black eyes by the good guys. But that's about to change! Those meddlesome mortals who've mucked up our missions, will finally feel some of our pain! You see, I have a devious plan that requires a demonstrative fist. And each of you will have your dreams come true as a fiendish finger of thiiiis!
Dr. Boom: ...what?
Rafaam: *sigh* All right. Let me try this again. Alone all our dreams went...
Dr. Boom: Uh, ka-kaboom?
Rafaam: Yes! But united we'll take all...
Togwaggle: All their candles?
Rafaam: No! Think bigger!
Lazul: I'm seeing what you want to do.
Rafaam: Let me hear it!
Hagatha: We'll come together so we can dismantle!
Rafaam: Now here's the plot to capture your greed and intrigue. We'll take Dalaran for all that it's got...
All: As we form an evil league!
|~ The League of E.V.I.L.'s founders singing their Villain Song.|
The League of E.V.I.L. is an organization of villains in Hearthstone founded by the League of Explorers expansion's main antagonist Rafaam. They are the main antagonists of the expansions set in the Year of the Dragon (2019). A recurring motif of the League of E.V.I.L. are the five classes represented by each of the League's founders: Priest (Lazul), Rogue (Togwaggle), Shaman (Hagatha), Warrior (Boom) and Warlock (Rafaam).
- Arch-Villain Rafaam: Debuted in League of Explorers. The power-hungry Arch-Thief Rafaam founded the League after his defeat by the League of Explorers. With the help of his co-founders and army of minions, he helps turn the League of E.V.I.L. into the most powerful villains in all of Azeroth.
- Madame Lazul: First appeared in the Whispers of the Old Gods trailer, but did not make an in-game appearance until Rise of Shadows, where she unites the villains to start the League. Madame Lazul is a troll fortune teller who heeds the power of the Old Gods, and acts as Rafaam's right-hand and recruiter for the League.
- Swampqueen Hagatha: Debuted in The Witchwood. The reclusive orc witch who brought the titular Witchwood to life to attack Gilneas, Hagatha uses her shamanic powers to assist with the League's harder missions.
- Blastmaster Boom: Debuted in Goblins vs. Gnomes, but has a major role in The Boomsday Project. A crazed goblin inventor obsessed with explosives, Boom supplies mechs and inventions for the team.
- Heistbaron Togwaggle: Debuted in Kobolds and Catacombs. The king of the kobolds, Togwaggle got his fellow kobolds to assist the League of E.V.I.L. in stealing riches.
Rise of Shadows
The founders of E.V.I.L. first met in Madame Lazul's hut, with Hagatha the Witch, Dr. Boom and King Togwaggle being called to meet up. It is revealed that Rafaam was the one who organized the invitations, who promised the other villains that they would get revenge on the heroes who defeated them. Their first plot was to take over the floating city of Dalaran in their own ways: Togwaggle robbed the city's bank, Hagatha broke into Violet Hold to enslave its prisoners, Lazul took over the city's marketing business, Boom attached rockets to make the city steerable and Rafaam defeated the Kirin Tor mages in order for the League of E.V.I.L. to have full control over the city. With the help of their lieutenants (each representing one of the series' nine classes), they succeeded in their mission and became another of Azeroth's most powerful threats.
Saviors of Uldum
After taking over Dalaran, E.V.I.L. sets out to the desert region of Uldum, unleashing a swarm of locusts to terrorize the inhabitants and releasing the sealed Plague Lords to cause havoc. The League of Explorers fight the Plague Lords and some of the League's lieutenants before confronting the final boss Tekahn, who summons all four of the Old Gods into Uldum. Unfortunately for Tekahn, Rafaam betrays him and leaves his fate to the Explorers.
Descent of Dragons/Galakrond's Awakening
The League of E.V.I.L. heads off to conquer the dragons' home of Dragonblight, with each of its leaders resurrecting the proto-dragon Galakrond from death using each of their own methods. When the League of Explorers arrives to stop them, Dr. Boom kidnaps Reno Jackson using his airship, but Brann Bronzebeard rescues him. Afterwards, a battle ensues between the Explorers' allies and the League of E.V.I.L., fighting over the fate of Azeroth as they know it.
The Galakrond's Awakening adventure covers the final clash between League of Explorers and League of E.V.I.L., with two sides of the adventure told from each side's perspective. In the E.V.I.L. wing, they defeat the Explorers' forces and progress smoothly until Captain Eudora's airship, the Slipstream, gets attacked by dragons. Rafaam and the League abandon her in order to pursue their greater goal, leaving Eudora disappointed and talking about joining another evil league. Rafaam resurrects Galakrond (who appears as his Wretched form) and battles Reno on the giant dragon's back.
In the League of Explorers' route, Reno transforms into his true form Renogos and defeats Rafaam and Galakrond. In the League of E.V.I.L.'s route, Rafaam defeats Reno and the combined forces of the Alliance and Horde, but Galakrond rebels against him and decides to destroy Azeroth. Rafaam feels that his goal was hollow since if Galakrond destroys the world, he will have no world to conquer, so he decides to defeat Galakrond himself.
- Priest is the only E.V.I.L. class whose classic representative hero is not affiliated with the Horde, being represented by the Alliance's Anduin Wrynn.
- The E.V.I.L. commanders playable in The Dalaran Heist return in the rest of the Year of the Dragon campaigns. Vessina and Dark Pharaoh Tekahn are the only commanders who are collectible cards.
- Vessina, Ol' Barkeye, Squeamlish, Mr. Chu and Tekahn appear as bosses in Tombs of Terror, where they are canonically defeated by the League of Explorers.
- Kriziki, Rakanishu, Captain Eudora and George the Fallen appear in Galakrond's Awakening as either bosses (in the Explorers' route) or playable characters (in E.V.I.L.'s route).
- The League of E.V.I.L. has a tendency to sacrifice and abandon their associates when they are threatened by their enemies, showing that they do not care what happens to them in the end. Rafaam abandoned Tekahn in the final boss fight of Tombs of Terror, and left Eudora and her ship when they were attacked by dragons. Rafaam shows no concern towards Eudora's situation and even casually says that the others have been eaten.