- NOTE: Do not add "Deceased" to the category list, as it is clearly stated that they are not dead.
|“||"Grogar": Where one is weak, another is strong, and thus unified, they are a formidable force! But we shall use their own strategy to defeat them!
Chrysalis: What are you suggesting?
"Grogar": I suggest nothing. I demand that you join me, and together, Equestria will be ours!
|~ Grogar and Chrysalis in The Beginning of the End.|
|“||Chrysalis: You know what's stronger than friendship, Twilight? FEAR!
Tirek: Cause when you have to protect yourself, you don't have time for anypony else!
Cozy Glow: Too bad you never taught that in school!
|~ The Legion of Doom to Twilight in The Ending of the End.|
The "Legion of Doom" is the unofficial name for the team that served as the main antagonistic faction of Season 9 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It is a team of Equestria's greatest villains assembled and were formally led by Grogar for the purpose of defeating the Mane 6 and taking over Equestria. The team consisted of Lord Tirek, Queen Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow. King Sombra was offered to join as well, but he flat out refused and went to conquer Equestria on his own before he was defeated by the Mane Six.
However, it is later revealed that "Grogar" is actually Discord in disguise, who intended to use the villains to push Twilight Sparkle and her friends into becoming confident rulers of Equestria, which ultimately ended up backfiring when the rest of the team betrayed him for their own purposes, as well as turned all of Equestria's residents against each-other. The team was then led by Queen Chrysalis, though they were all ultimately defeated by Twilight empowered by her friends, the Pillars of Equestria and the Young Six, and then turned to stone by Celestia, Luna, and Discord.
The Beginning of the End Parts 1 & 2
In the beginning of the episode, Celestia and Luna call inform Twilight Sparkle, her friends and Discord of their eventual retirement as Equestria's rulers and their decision to make Twilight their successor. While Twilight's friends have full faith in Twilight's capabilities as a ruler, Twilight begins stressing out over the idea of taking responsibility over the kingdom. Annoyed by Twilight's panic attacks, Discord takes his leave from her castle.
Meanwhile, a powerful, mysterious being pulls Cozy Glow and Lord Tirek from Tartarus, snatches Queen Chrysalis from her hiding place, and resurrects King Sombra. This being shows himself as the ram necromancer named Grogar who had ruled ancient Equestria as its emperor with his Bewitching Bell and an army of monsters thousands of years ago, until he was defeated by a pony named Gusty the Great and her Unicorn Warriors. Grogar claims that he had been building his power over the millennia and has now returned to conquer Equestria once more, but after realizing that the Mane Six always win due to working together as a team, he decides to form a team of his own, promising the other villains that they will rule Equestria at his side together. However, King Sombra rejects the offer, as he doesn't like sharing with others and goes off to take over Equestria all on his own, which Grogar respects.
After King Sombra is defeated again by Mane Six, Grogar chooses not to resurrect him again, using him as an example of what happens to those who foolishly defy him, with the implication that he will do to the other three if they do not submit to his authority. Threatened by Grogar's overwhelming power and seeing how much more powerful Twilight and her friends are now, Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow fearfully comply.
Having grown tired of the other villains' constant bickering, Grogar sends them all on a mission to retrieve his Bewitching Bell, which Gusty his atop Mount Everhoof. Each of the three villains try to get to the bell on their own, but to no avail. After they bond over their shared hatred of Twilight Sparkle, the three villains work together to retrieve the Bewitching Bell and prove successful. The three villains were almost on the verge of redemption until Chrysalis snaps herself and her allies out of it and convinces them to betray Grogar.
Returning to Grogar, the three trick him into thinking that they failed to retrieve it. Though he was furious at their supposed failure, Grogar was pleased that the three finally learned to cooperate while unsuspecting of their eventual betrayal. As they start to begin their long plan for revenge on Twilight and the Mane 6.
The Summer Sun Setback
Few months later, Grogar leaves the villains to search for a new source of power to use against the Mane Six. Meanwhile, the others planned a raid on Canterlot to find information on how to use the bell.
They manage to sneak into Canterlot, but find that not only has security been increased, and sneaking into Canterlot won't be as easy as it used to be, but also Mane 6 and Discord appear, overhearing them making preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration, which complicates things for them. However, Chrysalis comes up with a plan to ruin the holiday festival and use the distraction to sneak into the castle. Cozy confuses the pegasi handling the weather, Tirek drains energy from the earth ponies to make them think the food was bad, and Chrysalis convinces the unicorns to quit by playing on their vanity. While the Mane Six work to take back control over the situation, the villains succeeded infiltrating the castle undetected and grabbing a book from the archives with their teamwork and return back to the lair without the Mane 6 or anypony noticing.
Grogar also returns and reveals that he had found something else, and will retrieve it the next day. The three villains decide to master the bell before Grogar returns and consider doing what they did at the festival to all of Equestria. Then after realizing how easy it was for them to turn pony citizens against each other, Chrysalis and Cozy figure out the true source of the Mane 6's power.
The Ending of the End Part 1
A month later, the three villains begin spreading lies and rumors to each of the pony tribes to turn them against each other and make sure that nobody can help the Mane Six thus time. They also learn how to use the Bewitching Bell to take magic from others and absorb it into themselves. After forging a pact to share Equestria after they succeed in conquering it, as they agree to only rule what town they decide alone, they absorb the ancient magic already inside the bell and transform into more powerful forms.
Grogar returns to the lair with a magic amulet which he intended to use against the Mane Six. However, his former minions succeed in betraying Grogar by using the bell to take his magic from him. However, this also reveals that "Grogar" was actually Discord in disguise the whole time, much to the villains' shock. Discord has no magic to teleport or fight back as he manages to escape and the villains prepare their invasion of Equestria. Back at Canterlot, the Mane Six express their confusion of why everypony was so distrustful of each other when Discord appears and regretfully admits what he had done while as Grogar. As the Mane Six, especially Fluttershy, plus Celestia and Luna express their disappointment at Discord, he explained that his reason for all of it was to help Twilight gain confidence and realize her potential as the future ruler of Equestria, and that if anything went wrong, he would use his powers to help. Unfortunately, his plan does the opposite effect, they're all still too disappointed and angry at him for doing something stupid after everything they've been through before that he should know better by now that heroes should never give villains any ideas on how to beat them. Twilight begins to lose confidence in herself, knowing that fighting their enemies on their own has been hard enough and now thinking it'll be much harder to beat them this time working together, but Celestia and the others show that they have faith in her to stop the villains.
After testing Discord's magic on Cozy Glow but realize that it is too powerful to control, the villains decide to contain it before heading out to conquer Equestria. With their new power, Tirek fights and easily defeats the Pillars of Equestria, Chrysalis attacks the School of Friendship to fight Starlight Glimmer and defeats (most likely knocked down) her as well, while Cozy Glow fights the Mane Six and Spike while having used the Bewitching Bell to absorb Princesses Celestia and Luna's magic. But the Mane 6 and Spike get the upper hoof on Cozy, using their teamwork to knock her down, showing how much stronger the Mane 6 are than before against one villain, and just they were about to defeat Cozy again, Chrysalis and Tirek arrive to help Cozy Glow.
Twilight argues with her enemies, giving them the same confident speech from earlier to tell them they'll never stop until they're defeated, until they laugh at Twilight and reveal what they did behind their backs about their plan of turning each of the pony tribes against each other, so they wont get any backup help, thus preventing the rainbow magic of friendship with hatred and fear spread across Equestria and everything the Mane Six ever had to defeat them and all the other villains. They destroy Canterlot and mock Twilight how she and her friends never prepared themselves to fight them as they grabbed Twilight and attempted to finally defeat and kill Twilight Sparkle all together, knowing she'll never get in the way of their plans or inspire others to stop them ever again, but Rarity violently hurls a boulder at the three villains as she saves Twilight's life. The villains angrily try to blast Twilight's friends instead, but Twilight uses another boulder as a shield but they tell Twilight to escape and get help as the villains capture the princesses, Discord and Twilight's friends while Twilight reluctantly escapes.
The Ending of the End Part 2
The three villains imprison their enemies under the catacombs of Canterlot. Tirek claims they need to find Twilight, claiming that she's still a threat to the group, despite everything she did in the past Chrysalis foolishly believes they should not go after Twilight since she doesn't believe she's a threat (even though she did help defeat her behind her back in the past), and debate on how to use the Alicorns' magic without risking taking Discord's magic. Discord "offers" to tell them with Chrysalis and Cozy Glow being interested but Tirek knows that he will never tell it. Discord then insults Tirek about his daddy issues to blast Starlight's cage which has her free everyone else but only the Mane Five and Spike are able to escape as Celestia tells them to go and find Twilight and angrily prepares to fight the villains, while they escape the princesses, Discord and Starlight stay to hold back the villains but get are recaptured later.
They see that the Windigos have appear (meaning turning everypony against each other wasn't much of a good idea). Tirek and Cozy Glow want the Windigos destroyed but Chrysalis sees it as an opportunity to break the ponies' spirits and that when the land is a frozen wasteland, they will use their magic to destroy the Windigos to make the ponies see them as heroes to make them do what they want. The three villains see the Mane Six and Spike coming back.
Chrysalis taunts the ponies that they can't admit they were already beaten, but Twilight argues with Chrysalis telling her that they will never be defeated as long as they never give up and as long as she has her friends behind their back. They prepare to battle them. The three villains are distracted by Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash fights Cozy as she chases her, Twilight fights Tirek as she violently blasts him in rage and Pinkie Pie fights, annoys and taunts Chrysalis making her angry to blast her, while Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy and Spike get the bell but the villains see through the distraction quickly, as Chrysalis only noticed three of the Mane 6 are fighting them. Chrysalis fights Rarity and Spike as they try to blast her, Chrysalis desperately blasts back as much as she could, Applejack fights Tirek as she tries to get the bell by a rope but gets pulled out as Tirek breaks the rope and throws Applejack as Fluttershy flies by as Cozy catches up and mocks her how she isn't the fastest flyer and blasts her as Rainbow Dash catches Fluttershy. Then, Chrysalis cowardly orders them to stop and threatens to pull Spike's wings off in which the Mane Six surrender. The villains then prepare to finally defeat and kill Twilight and her friends to finally get their revenge and have them finally out of the way of their plans, once and for all.
Fortunately, the Young Six having convinced their kinds to work together and help Twilight and her friends arrive. Although all ponies and creatures overwhelm the villains, but the villains push them all back since they don't have much experience fighting them like the Mane 6 do.
Twilight orders them to stop as she confronts them and finally accepts that the villains are the ones who made a mistake and delivers a speech to them about the Magic of Friendship and that there will always be those who seek the light despite how much darkness there is. The Mane Five, Spike, the Pillars and Young Six join her and their combined magic banishes the Windigos and strips the three villains of their powerful forms. Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow are defeated once again, after all that hard work and planning has been a big waste.
Completely enraged, Chrysalis foolishly can't accept that friendship is stronger than her as she swears revenge on Twilight that they'll always return until Pinkie Pie takes control of the Bewitching Bell with Discord's magic and shuts Chrysalis up by dropping a giant cupcake on her, Cozy and Tirek. As Discord, Celestia and Luna get their magic back, a furious Celestia yells at the villains as they've gone too far this time and plans a deep punishment they so well deserve for all the destruction and pain they've caused. Discord gives Celestia and Luna an idea as Celestia, Luna, and Discord charge up their magic, zapping the villains, seemingly hurting them but turning them into stone like Discord did to make sure they never return to hurt anyone again, marking the end of Twilight and her friends' sworn villainous enemies forever.
The Last Problem
The statues of Queen Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow briefly appear in a newspaper Twilight Sparkle shows to Spike. It is stated by Jim Miller that after their stoning, they were most likely placed in the Canterlot gardens much like Discord's statue. It is unknown if the stoning is permanent unlike Discord's, but in response to a question as to if Cozy would be alright, Jim Miller stated "Cozy's fine, just in suspended animation", indicating they are asleep or unconscious for their stoning. The use of present tense in that statement could imply that they are still trapped in stone as of the epilogue, though this has yet to be confirmed. Either way, they likely will never be able to hurt any creature again.
- Discord/Grogar (former leader)
- Queen Chrysalis (de-facto leader after Discord's treachery)
- Cozy Glow
- After Discord's secret and treachery was revealed, Queen Chrysalis self appointed herself to take leadership for the team, thus coming up with the plans and conspires with Tirek and Cozy, sometimes giving them commands and orders. However, Tirek and Cozy questioned Chrysalis' plan to use the Windigoes to their own advantage and after Equestria is a frozen wasteland, they will use their magic to destroy the beasts and ponies will become so grateful that they will do everything Chrysalis says. Tirek claims this to be a terrible idea and recommends that they deal with the threat now, before they too become victims as well, much to Chrysalis' anger.
- Chrysalis also came up with the plan in "The Summer Sun Setback". When Cozy Glow expressed disappointment that the Summer Sun Celebration wasn't ruined by their efforts to sabotage it, Chrysalis reminded her that this was merely a distraction. She was also the first one to suggest betraying "Grogar", and to resist the magic of friendship. In addition, she is the only one who does not seem intimidated when they are defeated.
- Cozy Glow seemed to be the leader in "Frenemies", claiming Grogar left her in charge, leading the villain song, coming up with the plan for Tirek to absorb Chrysalis's magic to get Grogar's bell, and trying to get Tirek and Chrysalis to get along.
- While Cozy Glow and Chrysalis both came up with successful plans, Tirek is the only one who didn't uselessly try to climb Mt. Everhoof on his own, and also, when they had the other Mane 5 as their prisoners, suggested hunting down Twilight, as well as wanting to destroy the Windigos, realizing how much of a threat they were, and knowing they couldn't control Discord's magic, despite seeming like the "muscle" archetype in the Legion. He is also the only one who realizes Discord would not tell them how to use his magic, although Discord is successful in tricking him immediately afterwards.
- In the Season 9 premiere, King Sombra is the only antagonist who flat out refused to join the team and went to take over Equestria by himself, which led to his final defeat.
- Before they came together, all three of them were main villains of even season finales: Seasons 2 and 6 for Chrysalis, Season 4 for Tirek, and Season 8 for Cozy Glow.
- They are the only unreformed villains to be the main characters of an episode.
- Many took their near-friendship moment in "Frenemies" as a sign that they would reform. This, ultimately, proved to be misleading, likely trying to trick fans dreading their redemption into thinking it would happen until they resisted it.
- It is never revealed what was done with them after they were turned to stone. It is possible they were placed in Tartarus to prevent anyone from ever releasing them. It was stated by Jim Miller that they are in suspended animation, implying they are asleep as statues, unlike Discord, who suggested this punishment.
- Though, many do not trust his word for some matters after misleading comments about Grogar, and perceive his word on the trio as what the person asking the question wanted to hear, and that, like much unanswered questions, it was left up for fans to decide. Some fans are inclined to think they are awake or dead as statues instead of asleep, and a common fan theory is that they can communicate telepathically.
- It was also stated that the reason they were turned to stone at the end was to mirror Celestia and Luna turning Discord to stone the first time, and they were always intended to be the final antagonists due to being more familiar and personal enemies of the protagonists rather than a completely new enemy they'd never seen before.
- In-universe, it is unclear why Discord never resurrected the Storm King to become part of the Legion as he did Sombra, since his lack of extreme power or intelligence compared to the other four wouldn't matter if Discord's plan was for Twilight to defeat Equestria's worst enemies. Out-of-universe, they did not want to bring the movie's voice actors back into the show, although they did recast Sombra.
- The villains working for "Grogar" (though this was Discord in disguise) in G4 is similar to the Raptorians working for Princess Porcina in G1. Both groups are a trio of villains who planned to use a magical object (Bewitching Bell/Porcina's Magic Cloak) to betray their leaders for their own purposes and are turned to stone/glass in the end.
- Unlike King Sombra, the Legion weren't destroyed by the Rainbow of Harmony simply because they bonded over their shared hatred of Twilight Sparkle. Mostly likely since his body was made from shadow, and during the season 9 finale, the Rainbow of Harmony was practically prevented by Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy by dividing everypony, not only trying to make sure Twilight and her friends don't get back up help this time, but also trying to spread hatred towards each other across Equestria, so that the magic Rainbow of Harmony won't be strong enough to charge the Mane Six up when they bond together, revealing the villains found the true source of the Mane 6's power, that friendship is magic, and they knew they couldn't divide the Mane Six anymore, they divided everypony else instead to make their fights effect the magic of friendship since they knew the Mane Six's friendship isn't the only friendship that was magic.
- Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy are also the second main villains in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic franchise who were super close to having Twilight and her friends all finally defeated and killed after the Storm King in My Little Pony: The Movie who almost had them all defeated single handed, by an orb to turn them into stone, and by the Legion of Doom making a powerful beam mixed together to kill them, to have them out of the way so they never get in the way of their plans ever again but they all failed since the Mane 6 were saved by Tempest Shadow and all of Equestria.
- The villains' main goal was to kill Twilight first before they take over Equestria, as they wanted sweet revenge on her for all of the intervention she and her friends have caused on them and so she'll never get in the way of their evil plans or inspire others to fight them ever again (despite that Chrysalis hated Starlight and wanted revenge on her for turning her hive against her and the Young Six defeating Cozy, they both hated Twilight more, knowing she's truly the one getting in their way, who inspired Starlight and the students to stop them in the first place).
- In the end of the series, Queen Chrysalis, Lord Tirek and Cozy Glow (including King Sombra and the Storm King) are the only main villains who all don't redeem and officially remained as Twilight's archenemies.
- Their team name is a reference to the Legion of Doom.