- NOTE: Do not add "Deceased" to the category list, as it is clearly stated that they are not dead.
|“||"Grogar": Where one is weak, another is strong, and thus unified, they are a formidable force! But we shall use their own strategy to defeat them!
Chrysalis: What are you suggesting?
"Grogar": I suggest nothing. I demand that you join me, and together, Equestria will be ours!
|~ Discord (as Grogar) and Chrysalis in The Beginning of the End.|
|“||Chrysalis: You know what's stronger than friendship, Twilight? FEAR!
Tirek: Cause when you have to protect yourself, you don't have time for anypony else!
Cozy Glow: Too bad you never taught that in school!
|~ The Legion of Doom to Twilight in The Ending of the End.|
The Legion of Doom is the unofficial name for the main antagonists of the 9th Season of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. They are a trio of Equestria's greatest villains consisting of Lord Tirek, Queen Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow. King Sombra was offered to join as well, but he refused and went to conquer Equestria on his own before being defeated by the Mane Six. The team was assembled and led by "Grogar" for the purpose of getting revenge and finally defeating the Mane 6 together and taking over Equestria.
However, it is later revealed that "Grogar" is actually Discord in disguise, who intended to use the villains to push Twilight Sparkle and her friends into becoming confident rulers of Equestria, which ultimately ended up backfiring when the rest of the team betrayed him for their own purposes, as well as turned all of Equestria's residents against each-other. The team had then continued their goals to conquer Equestria, only to be defeated by the Pillars of Equestria and the Young Six, and then turned to stone by Celestia, Luna, and Discord.
The Beginning of the End
In the beginning of the episode, Celestia and Luna call inform Twilight Sparkle, her friends and Discord of their eventual retirement as Equestria's rulers and their decision to make Twilight their successor. While Twilight's friends have full faith in Twilight's capabilities as a ruler, Twilight begins stressing out over the idea of taking responsibility over the kingdom. Annoyed by Twilight's panic attacks, Discord takes his leave from her castle.
Meanwhile, a powerful, mysterious being pulls Cozy Glow and Lord Tirek from Tartarus, snatches Queen Chrysalis from her hiding place, and resurrects King Sombra. This being shows himself as the ram necromancer named "Grogar" who had ruled ancient Equestria as its emperor with his Bewitching Bell and an army of monsters thousands of years ago, until he was defeated by a pony named Gusty the Great and her Unicorn Warriors.
"Grogar" claims that he had been building his power over the millennia and has now returned to conquer Equestria once more, but after realizing that the Mane Six always win due to working together as a team, he decides to form a team of his own, promising the other villains that they will rule Equestria at his side together. However, King Sombra rejects the offer, as he doesn't like sharing with others and goes off to take over the Crystal Empire all on his own, which "Grogar" respects. "Grogar" then makes a deal with the former King: If he is able to re-take the Crystal Empire, he will be free, but if he fails, the king will bow to him, or suffer his wrath.
After King Sombra is defeated again by Mane Six, "Grogar" chooses not to resurrect him again, using him as an example of what happens to those who foolishly defy him, with the implication that he will do to the other three if they do not submit to his authority. Threatened by "Grogar's" overwhelming power and seeing how much more powerful Twilight and her friends are now, Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow fearfully comply.
Having grown tired of the other villains' constant bickering, "Grogar" sends them all on a mission to retrieve his Bewitching Bell, which Gusty hid atop Mount Everhoof.
Each of the three villains try to get to the bell on their own, but to no avail. After they bond over their shared hatred of Twilight Sparkle, the three villains work together to retrieve the Bewitching Bell and prove successful. The three villains were almost on the verge of redemption until Chrysalis snaps herself and her allies out of it and convinces them to betray "Grogar".
Returning to "Grogar", the three trick him into thinking that they failed to retrieve it. Though he was furious at their supposed failure, "Grogar" was pleased that the three finally learned to cooperate while unsuspecting of their eventual betrayal. They then start to begin their long plan for revenge on Twilight and the Mane Six.
The Summer Sun Setback
Sometime later, "Grogar" leaves the villains to search for a new source of power to use against the Mane Six. Meanwhile, the others planned a raid on Canterlot to find information on how to use the bell.
They manage to sneak into Canterlot, but find that not only has security been increased, but preparations for the Summer Sun festival is underway, making it difficult to sneak past the ponies. However, Chrysalis comes up with a plan to ruin the holiday festival and use the disruption as a distraction to sneak into the castle. Cozy confuses the pegasi handling the weather, Tirek drains magic from the earth ponies to make them think the food was bad, and Chrysalis convinces the unicorns to quit by playing on their vanity. While the Mane Six and Spike work to take back control over the situation, the villains succeeded in infiltrating the castle undetected and grabbing a book from the archives with their teamwork and return back to the lair without the Mane Six or any-pony noticing.
"Grogar" also returns and reveals that he had found something else, and will retrieve it the next day. The three villains decide to master the bell before "Grogar" returns and consider doing what they did at the festival to all of Equestria. Then after realizing how easy it was for them to turn pony citizens against each other, Chrysalis and Cozy figure out the true source of the Mane Six's power.
The Ending of the End
Soon after obtaining both Grogar's bell and the book containing the information on how to use it, the three villains begin spreading lies and rumors to each of the pony tribes to turn them against each other and make sure that nobody can help the Mane Six this time. On the day of Princess Twilight Sparkle's coronation as the new ruler of Equestria, they learn that the Bewitching Bell has the power to take magic from others, contain it, and release it onto the user to increase power. After forging a pact to share Equestria after they succeed in conquering it, as they agree to only rule what town they decide alone, they absorb the ancient magic already inside the bell and transform into more powerful beings.
"Grogar" returns to the lair with a magic amulet which he intended to use against the Mane Six. However, his former minions succeed in betraying "Grogar" by using the bell to take his magic from him. However, this also reveals that "Grogar" was actually Discord in disguise the whole time, much to the villains' shock. Discord has no magic to teleport or fight back as he manages to escape and the villains prepare their invasion of Equestria.
Back at Canterlot, the Mane Six and Spike express their confusion of why every-pony was so distrustful of each other when Discord appears and regretfully admits what he had done while playing as Grogar. As the Mane Six, especially Fluttershy, plus Spike, Celestia and Luna express their disappointment at Discord for what he foolishly did, he explained that his reason for all of it was to help Twilight gain confidence and realize her potential as the future ruler of Equestria through the defeats of her greatest enemies at her hooves, and later informs the villains' plan of destruction to the Mane 6, Spike, and the Princesses. Twilight begins to lose confidence in herself, now knowing that her success against Sombra was a lie even though they actually defeated him on their own, and believing that stopping Lord Tirek, Queen Chrysalis and Cozy Glow together will be impossible since beating them before on their own was hard and now it’ll be harder now they’re working together now. However, Celestia and Luna put their faith in Twilight to protect her future Kingdom. The Princess of Friendship, with the support from her friends, calls upon her allies to defend Equestria from the attack.
After testing Discord's magic on Cozy Glow but realize that it is too powerful to control, the villains decide to contain it before heading out to conquer Equestria. With their new power, Tirek fights and easily defeats the Pillars of Equestria, Chrysalis attacks the School of Friendship to fight Starlight Glimmer and after a harsh battle, swiftly overpowers her, while Cozy Glow attacks Canterlot and fights the Mane Six and Spike while having used the Bewitching Bell to absorb Princesses Celestia and Luna's magic. But the Mane Six and Spike get the upper hoof on Cozy, using their teamwork to knock her down. Just as they were about to defeat Cozy again, Chrysalis and Tirek arrive to help Cozy Glow.
Twilight shows no fear against her enemies, argues with them and giving them the same confident speech from earlier to tell them they'll never stop until they're defeated, until they laugh at Twilight and reveal the hatred they had spread between the pony races to prevent the Mane 6 from getting the backup they need to use the Magic of Friendship. They destroy half of Canterlot and mock Twilight, claiming that fear is stronger than friendship for how it motivates those to defend themselves, leaving others vulnerable. Instilling fear into Twilight herself, Tirek grabs her by the wings and they all prepare to kill her, only for Rarity to blast a piece of the destroyed castle towards them, saving Twilight's life. The villains angrily try to blast Twilight's friends instead, but Twilight uses another boulder as a shield but they tell Twilight to escape and get help as the villains overwhelm and capture the princesses, Discord and Twilight's friends while Twilight reluctantly and tearfully escapes.
The three villains imprison their enemies under the catacombs of Canterlot. Tirek claims they need to find Twilight, claiming that she's still a threat to the group. Despite everything she did in the past Chrysalis foolishly believes they should not go after Twilight since she doesn't believe she's a threat as long as her friends are still imprisoned. The ex-queen of the changelings begins boasting about their victory and later taunts Discord, who is chained up, for his foolish plan of impersonating Grogar. Whilst Tirek and Chrysalis are distracted, Cozy Glow attempts to steal the Alicorns' magic from the bell, only for Tirek to stop her and remind her and Chrysalis that none of them will use the Alicorns' magic without controlling Discord's unstable chaos magic.
Discord "offers" to tell them in exchange for his friends' freedom, with Chrysalis and Cozy Glow being interested but Tirek knows that he will never tell it. After Discord mocks Tirek for his parental issues, Tirek attempts to blast him, but Discord defended himself from attack with a rock, redirecting it to Starlight's cage, freeing her. Starlight soon frees all the other prisoners, but only the Mane 5 and Spike escape under Celestia's command. The Princesses, Pillars, and Starlight battle the villains whilst Twilight's friends escape, however are later re-imprisoned.
Once the prisoners are re-captured, the villains go outside to see that the Windigos have returned as a result of the pony races division. Tirek and Cozy Glow intend on neutralizing the Windigos, but Chrysalis sees it as an opportunity to use the harsh weather as a way of destroying Equestria and soon putting the surviving ponies into her debt once she destroys them. Cozy breaks up the argument between Tirek and Chrysalis by alerting them to Twilight and her friends, who have regrouped together and are on their way to attack the villains.
The trio appear through a portal and confront the Mane 6. Chrysalis taunts the ponies that they can't accept that they were already beaten, but Twilight argues with Chrysalis telling her that they will never be defeated as long as they never give up and as long as she has her friends behind their back. The two teams end up engaging in a fierce brawl. The three villains are distracted by Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie, while Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy and Spike get the bell but the villains see through the distraction quickly, as Chrysalis only noticed three of the Mane 6 are fighting them. Chrysalis fights Rarity and Spike as they try to blast her, Chrysalis desperately blasts back as much as she could, Applejack fights Tirek as she tries to get the bell by a rope but gets pulled out as Tirek breaks the rope and throws Applejack as Fluttershy flies by as Cozy catches up and mocks her how she isn't the fastest flyer and blasts her away. Then, Chrysalis cowardly orders them to stop and threatens to rip Spike's wings off should they not comply. The Mane 6 quickly surrender the fight to save Spike and give themselves up to their enemies. The villains then prepare to finally defeat and kill Twilight and her friends to get their revenge and take over Equestria once and for all.
Just as Twilight and her friends are about to be destroyed, a force-field emerges over them, which is soon revealed to be powered by an army of unicorns, marching in alongside every creature in Equestria that charges in for the final battle. It's later revealed that the Young Six having convinced their kinds to work together and help Twilight and her friends arrive. Although all ponies and creatures overwhelm the villains, the villains push them all back and continue to charge forward on their way to defeat the Mane 6.
Twilight orders them to stop as she confronts them and finally accepts that the villains are the ones who made a mistake and delivers a speech to them about the Magic of Friendship and that there will always be those who seek the light despite how much darkness there is. The Mane Five, Spike, the Pillars and Young Six join her and their combined magic banishes the Windigos and strips the three villains of their powerful forms, defeating them once again.
Completely enraged, Chrysalis foolishly refuses to accept that friendship is stronger than her as she swears revenge on Twilight that they'll always return until Pinkie Pie takes control of the Bewitching Bell with Discord's magic and halts Chrysalis by dropping a giant cupcake on her, Cozy and Tirek. As Discord, Celestia and Luna get their magic back, a furious Celestia and Luna confront the villains,as they’ve gone too far this time, claiming there is no punishment worthy of their crimes. Discord, wanting payback on the villains for betraying him and likely also wanting to make up for his mistakes of setting the villains loose, gives Celestia and Luna an idea.
The royal sisters and the Lord of Chaos charge up their magic, zapping the villains, slowly imprisoning them in stone as Discord had been long ago, to make sure they never return to hurt the Mane 6 or anyone again, marking the defeat of Equestria's greatest villains forever.
The Last Problem
Due to their defeats at the end of The Ending of the End, Lord Tirek, Queen Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow do not return as the antagonists of the final part of the 3-part series finale, but are alluded to several times in the episode. A stain glass window in the newly re-built Canterlot castle in the future depicts the villainous trio being overpowered by the Magic of Friendship. During the flashback, the villains are mentioned by Twilight Sparkle to Spike. Twilight mentions that because of the madness that spurned from the final battle against the evil trio for the fate of Equestria, she had forgotten about her coronation as the new ruler of Equestria and the revelation that she would rule Equestria and have to be separated from her Ponyville friends once she returned to Canterlot had come all at once.
The villains also appear on a newspaper article, depicting their battle with the Mane 6 from the second third of the finale as well as their defeated and petrified state.
|“||Lord Tirek: Didn't you all notice something was wrong in Equestria? We've been busy.
Queen Chrysalis: A whisper here, a rumor there...
Lord Tirek: Destroy some crops, cause some damage...
Cozy Glow: Turn pony against pony...
Queen Chrysalis: Until your whole kingdom is on edge, waiting for just one tiny thing to push them over the brink!
Lord Tirek: There's no backup friends or rainbow magic to save you now!
Cozy Glow: Golly, I think it's time for some redecorating!
|~ The Legion of Doom revealing that they turned the pony races against each other.|
- In the Season 9 premiere, King Sombra is the only antagonist who refused to join the team and went to take over Equestria by himself, which led to his final defeat at the hooves of the Mane 6 thanks to the Magic of Friendship.
- Before they came together, all three of them were main villains of even season finales: Seasons 2 and 6 for Chrysalis, Season 4 for Tirek, and Season 8 for Cozy Glow.
- They are the only unreformed villains to be the main characters of an episode.
- Their moment in Frenemies implied that they would reform. This however would soon be proven false as they remain villains for the rest of the series.
- According to Jim Miller, Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow were not intended to reform at all in the final season.
- It is not shown in the show what was done with them after they were turned to stone, however Discord's comment of them being together forever implies that their stoning is permanent.
- Jim Miller stated that the villainous trio were likely put in the Canterlot Garden where Discord was placed in Season 1. In addition, he also makes a reference to Cozy Glow being in suspended animation, indicating that she and likely the other villains were either asleep or unconscious when they were imprisoned.
- According to Jim Miller, Tirek, Cozy, and Chrysalis were always intended to be the final antagonists of the series due to their heavy connections to the main characters. This was also why Grogar was revealed to be Discord in disguise, as it was planned since the start of the final season's production.
- In-universe, it is unclear why Discord did not resurrect the Storm King to become part of the Legion as he did Sombra, since his lack of extreme power or intelligence compared to the other four wouldn't matter if Discord's plan was for Twilight to defeat Equestria's worst enemies. Out-of-universe, they likely did not want to bring the movie's voice actors back into the show, due to them being too-high budget, although they did recast Sombra.
- The villains working for "Grogar" (though this was Discord in disguise) in G4 is similar to the Raptorians working for Princess Porcina in G1. Both groups are a trio of villains who planned to use a magical object (Bewitching Bell/Porcina's Magic Cloak) to betray their leaders for their own purposes and are turned to stone/glass in the end.
- Unlike King Sombra, and Nightmare Moon, the Legion weren't destroyed, or reformed by the Magic of Friendship. This was possibly due to the race war that had prevented the Magic of Friendship from growing powerful enough to neutralize the evil as a whole.
- Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy are also the second main villains in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic franchise who were close to killing Twilight Sparkle and her friends, or at the very least, defeating them, the first being the Storm King in My Little Pony: The Movie. With the Storm King, he was about to turn Twilight Sparkle and her friends into stone (after previously failing to kill her once she outlived her usefulness to him), only to be killed by a redeemed Tempest Shadow. In the case of the Legion of Doom, they were about to blast the Mane 6 to their deaths, only to be stopped again by a force-field, summoned by the unicorns of Equestria and overwhelmed, overpowered and soon defeated by the Magic of Friendship.
- Ironically, Tempest Shadow had played a role in the defeats of both villains as she stops the Storm King from turning the Mane 6 into stone, which leads to him getting turned to stone and falling to his death, and later on in the finale, is among the unicorns that activates a force-field around the Mane 6, which protects them from being destroyed by the Legion of Doom, and allows them to gain enough confidence through Equestria's unity as one to use the Magic of Friendship to end their terror once and for all.
- In the end, the Legion of Doom, alongside the Storm King and King Sombra are the only villains in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic franchise that do not reform, proving themselves to be Equestria's greatest villains to the end.
- As the villains are being turned to stone, Chrysalis hisses and lashes out towards her enemies (presumably Discord) before being fully petrified, proving herself to be the only villain of the trio who fights to the end.
- According to Jim Miller, the Legion of Doom's fate was meant to mirror Discord's first and second defeat.
- The legion's unofficial team name is a reference to the Legion of Doom.
- The legion's alternative team name "The Mean 3" is a play on "The Mane 6" the name title given to Twilight and her friends. It could also be a reference to "The Mean 6," the evil-counterparts to the Mane 6 created by Queen Chrysalis shown in the Season 8 episode of the same name.
- Nightmare Moon, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, Dazzlings, Storm King, Tempest Shadow, Grubber and the Pony of Shadows are the only major antagonists who were not summoned by Grogar (who was Discord in disguise), due to the Pony of Shadows being trapped in limbo, the Dazzlings losing their powers and cannot be returned to the pony world, the Storm King had died after getting destroyed as a statue while the other six were reformed during the time.