|~ Lock, Shock and Barrel, before they kidnap Santa Claus.|
Lock, Shock and Barrel are the three secondary antagonists from Tim Burton's 1993 animated stop-motion film The Nightmare Before Christmas. They are Oogie Boogie's former henchmen.
In the film, Lock was voiced by Paul Reubens, Shock was voiced by Catherine O'Hara, and Barrel was voiced by Danny Elfman. In the Kingdom Hearts series, Lock was voiced by Jess Harnell, Shock was voiced by Kath Soucie, and Barrel was voiced by Jeff Bennett.
The Pumpkin King
They were picked by Oogie Boogie to stop Jack Skellington, whom the earlier holiday known as Bug Day was rejected.
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Lock, Shock and Barrel were sent by Jack Skellington and Oogie Boogie to find Santa Claus. On their first try, they took the Easter Bunny, to Jack's frustration. Once the kids found Santa Claus, they put him inside Oogie's dungeon. Jack eventually tore Oogie apart and made Santa leave the dungeon. The three kids eventually helped Jack get back to the Halloween Town center.
Lock, Shock and Barrel learned that Jack is out of town and decided to resurrect Oogie Boogie.
Kingdom Hearts Series
Kingdom HeartsAs well as their role in the film, Lock, Shock, and Barrel has also appeared as bosses in various video games, the more notable probably being Kingdom Hearts.
In Kingdom Hearts, they stole an artificial Heart from Dr. Finkelstein to give to Oogie. However, they were soon captured, without the Heart. After their battle, they reluctantly revealed tips on how to defeat Oogie. It was assumed that they left the mansion afterwards, since they were seen in Kingdom Hearts II.
Kingdom Hearts II
In Kingdom Hearts II, it was revealed that they became Dr. Finkelstein's assistants. When they went out to play, they came across Maleficent and told her of Oogie Boogie's fate. Maleficent revived Oogie and gave them control of the Prison Keeper Heartless as a distraction for Sora and company.
In the second visit, they were blamed for stealing Christmas Presents from Santa. In the inevitable chase afterward, the heroes discovered the truth when they told them about Dr. Finkelstein's experiment.
- Their names were a play on the figure of speech "lock, stock, and barrel", meaning "all", "total", and "everything".
- Although Lock, Shock and Barrel are Oogie Boogie's henchmen, they are never seen interacting with him onscreen, considering that Oogie is secluded on his lair.
- In Kingdom Hearts, after the mutation of Oogie's lair, it is unknown what happened with Lock, Shock, and Barrel, because they were defeated by Sora inside Oogie's lair and presumably knocked out. However, in the other games of the series, it is revealed that they somehow survived.
- In The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge, it is unknown what happened with Lock, Shock, and Barrel, because they transport Jack to the Christmas Town before they were never seen again in the video game. However, they could probably be exiled from Halloween Town by Jack.
- In a deleted scene of the film, Lock, Shock, and Barrel are surprised by Jack while they are in the elevator cage watching how Oogie talks with Santa and Sally. For this reason, they jump off the cage to the abbys, leaving their fates unknown. Albeit the scene was filmed and later deleted, this scene explains why Jack found the elevator cage under the bridge when he came to rescue Sally and Santa.
- In the Russian version of the film, Shock was voiced by a male voice actor.
Other Animated Movies
Shorts, TV Shows, Comics and Video Games