This Villain was Headlined on July, 2016.
|This villain was proposed but was rejected by the community for not being heinous enough or lacks what is necessary to be a Pure Evil villain. Therefore, this villain shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed villains rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same evil-doer. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PE villains.|
Any act of adding this villain to the Pure Evil category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this villain without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
|“||Greetings, panda! At last we meet! [He falters.] Oh, no no no no no... [acrobatically flips about before pointing his lance in another direction.] We meet at last! Yes! That's it! Greetings, panda! We meet at la- [He stops short when he ends up pointing his lance at the Soothsayer, who has appeared out of nowhere.] (Soothsayer: You are afraid for a reason.) I'm not afraid. He's coming to me in chains! If anyone should be afraid, it's... (Soothsayer: You.) [looks at her trying to munch his robes.. then quickly yanks them out of her reach.] Don't even think about it.||„|
|~ Lord Shen's planned greeting for Po.|
|“||Happiness... must be taken. And I will take mine.||„|
|~ Lord Shen talking to the Soothsayer as she leaves.|
|“||Such sad, sad faces. But now is a time only for joy. You are going to be part of something beautiful. Once we reach the harbor, in front of all the world, you and your precious kung fu will die. (chortles) Then China will know to bow before me. Set sail!||„|
|~ Lord Shen to the captured Furious Five.|
Lord Shen (also simply known as Shen) is the main antagonist of the Kung Fu Panda franchise.
He serves as one of the two unseen overarching antagonists (along with Ke-Pa) of the original Kung Fu Panda film, one of the three unseen overarching antagonists (alongside Tai Lung and Ke-Pa) of the short, Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Scroll, the main antagonist of its 2011 sequel Kung Fu Panda 2, the posthumous overarching antagonist of its 2016 sequel Kung Fu Panda 3, and a posthumous antagonist in the Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness episode Enter the Dragon.
He is an evil, disowned and manipulative peacock prince who wanted to take over China and destroy Kung Fu with his cannons. He is the Soothsayer's former master and the Wolves' leader. He is also Po's arch-nemesis.
He was voiced by Gary Oldman, who also played Ruber in Quest for Camelot, Dreyfus in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Mason Verger in Hannibal, Norman Stansfield in Léon: The Professional, General Grawl in Planet 51, Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg in The Fifth Element, Vladislav Dukhovich in The Hitman's Bodyguard, Carnegie in The Book of Eli, Daniel Clarke in Call of Duty: Black Ops, Egor Korshunov in Air Force One, Dr. Zachary Smith in Lost In Space, Drexl Spivey in True Romance and Count Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Lord Shen is an evil and callous peacock who wants to eliminate every panda in China. He has no problem in killing anyone who opposes him, going as far as to kill Boss Wolf for disobeying his orders. However, he does not kill the Soothsayer despite her clearly opposing him, which shows that he is capable of caring for others.
He is also cowardly and paranoid since when he overhears his true fate, he has all the pandas wiped out so no one can face him, and other examples of cowardly, when he refuses to warn the people crossing the bridge to move away and just has the bridge fired at and when he kills Master Thundering Rhino when he was easily defeated, with another example of being paranoid is when Shen asks the Soothsayer what his fate is. Shen is also incredibly intelligent, able to use fireworks, something meant for colour and joy as a weapon in form of a cannon and when he decided to wipe all pandas out completely, which out of sheer luck only some survived, and using his enemies weaknesses completely to his advantage.
Lord Shen is also insecure and delusional, as shown when he fears getting defeated by a panda and believing that his parents hated him when they actually truly loved him. He also knows what he is doing is bad, but he continues with his plans of conquest because he knows if he stops, all the deaths he caused will amount to nothing. When Lord Shen notices his cannon falling on him, instead of escaping, he closes his eyes and gets crushed by the cannon, knowing that he already lost.
Shen wears a long white robe held with a black-colored belt. According to him, the robe is made from "the finest silk in the province". Sewn along the edges of the robe is silver silk patterned with flame-like designs, and it has a flying bird, possibly a peacock, placed on the back. He also wears metal talons that served to protect his feet, light his cannons, and act as formidable weapons.
Kung Fu Panda 2: The Videogame
in Kung Fu Panda 2: The Videogame, Lord Shen has no physical appearance, but is a posthumous and mentioned character. A few moments after Shen was defeated by Po and his fleet failed to pass the limits of the of Gongmen City, the citizens celebrated the Dragon Warrior's victory by bringing down his empire, also destroying scrolls with his emblem. The throne without any ruler, some komodo dragons, led by Zhou Dan, plan to take over the city taking advantage of the death of Lord Shen.
Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends
In Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends, Lord Shen appears as a playable character.
Kung Fu Rumble
In Kung Fu Rumble, Lord Shen appears as an enemy to be defeated inside his palace as a combat stage.
- An entire Panda village
- Po's Mother
- His parents (indirectly, unwillingly)
- Thundering Rhino
- Boss Wolf
- Several wolves
- His tail consists of 92 feathers.
- Lord Shen was originally cast as a devious mayor for the first Kung Fu Panda movie.
- In the Mad episodes "Kung Fu Blander" (in which his new army were the Angry Birds) and "Destroy Bob the Builder Destroyer", Shen was defeated by Master Po, and then by Black and White Spies, who were ironically the black and white warriors from the prophecy.
- Shen is the only major villain in the Kung Fu Panda films who has not personally met Shifu or Oogway.
- Shen is also the only major villain in the Kung Fu Panda films who is not sent or banished into the spirit realm.
- Lord Shen represents what Po could have been if he kept on to old grudges and refused to move on from the past.
- Shen being born white is intentionally symbolic for his character as a villain, as white symbolizes death in Chinese culture.
- Shen's fighting style shares similarities with Chinese martial arts form, "Cai Li Fo", in which a metal fan is used as defense or as a distraction for enemies, represented by Shen's tail feathers.
- Despite only appearing in the second film with only a flashback from the second film in the third, Shen is perhaps one of two foremost antagonists (alongside Ke-Pa) in the entire Kung Fu Panda franchise because of his panda genocide.
- Since Shen had Po's mother killed during his panda genocide and separated him from Li Shan, his father, which all led to him to be shipped to the Valley of Peace when he was hidden by his mother in a radish box. Once the box reached Mr. Ping, he adopts Po.
- Mr. Ping then tried teaching Po cooking, which fails when Po accidentally poisons Shifu, leading him having his disciple, Tigress go and summon 4 warriors. With a mix-up of scrolls with Po, leads her to summon the wrong people, which leads to the rise of the Furious Five and leads to them defeating Boar. The battle between them made Po, a hidden bystander, to be a fan of Kung Fu.
- His panda genocide still has effect even after his death since it set up the events of the third film because Li Shan and many of the genocide survivors fled to a hidden old village. With awareness his son survived because of Oogway's spirit, went on a hunt to find him to bring him to the village. This all led to Kai's attack on the Panda village since he is after every Kung Fu master's chi, where Po sends Kai back to the spirit realm and defeats him and becomes the Dragon Master and teach the new 4 Constellations when they get their powers.
- Due to the Panda genocide also taking his mother, as well as being the only villain to psychologically break him, Shen has the closest personal connection to Po, even if Ke-Pa managed to pull of an incredible feet in killing Po. Also, Shen had more screen time than Ke-Pa and the second film is considered a more important installment in the franchise than Enter the Dragon. This makes him the true big bad of the franchise instead of sharing the role with Ke-Pa, making the latter the bigger bad as a result.
- Since Kung Fu Panda 2's release, Shen became one of the most popular DreamWorks villains, topping many lists on "Best DreamWorks' Villains".
- Whenever Po sees Shen's "eyespots" on his tail feather's, he gets traumatic experiences and dazes him, to which Shen gets the upper hand. Also, in the wild, Peacocks uses the "eyespots" in their tail feathers to protect them from predators as a psychological defense.
- Some fans have speculated that Shen actually committed suicide and wasn't trying to make one final attempt to kill Po by letting the cannon crush him or die in the explosion, which Po happened to be in the way of, with the reason is all the deaths he has caused now has no meaning at all and he has nowhere else to go. This can't be the case in the first section of the final fight in the boat since none of the ropes suspending the cannon were present. However, it is possible the fans were right if we consider when the cannon was about to fall on him to which Shen doesn't move and just closes his eyes and accepts his fate.
- As revealed by the director, Shen was incredibly difficult to animate, which was compared to animating six characters all at once.
- Shen and his followers never acknowledged Po's title as the Dragon Warrior; they only saw him as a threat simply because he was a panda. They is the only villain in the franchise to view Po as a threat that is not because he is the Dragon Warrior.