This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
Louis Arneb, also known as the Sin Archbishop of Gluttony, is a major antagonist in the 2014 Japanese dark fantasy light novel series Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World. She has appeared as a supporting antagonist in the fifth story arc, the main antagonist of the sixth story arc, and a major supporting character in the seventh story arc.
At some point in their childhood, the siblings Louis Arneb, Lye Batenkaitos, and Roy Alphard absorbed the Gluttony Witch Factor, giving them access to the Authority of Gluttony. For unknown reasons, Louis was born in the Corridor of Memories, an endless white space where the souls of the dead went to get filtered of their impurities for recycling. Arneb was unable to leave this place until she discovered that she could temporarily possess her brothers. However, taking the bodies of her brothers only satisfied her for so long, as she eventually began craving true freedom.
Her brothers, eager to please their little sister, would consume the best souls they could find as anything they ate would be felt by Louis. Befitting of the sin she represented, Louis had an insatiable hunger for human flesh and memories. Using her Witch Factor, the Authority of Gluttony, Louis could eat the identities and memories of her opponents without killing them, essentially leaving them as forgotten husks.
Louis, like her brothers, referred to herself using collective pronouns such as "we" instead of "I". She appeared to lack any form of remorse, as she was perfectly willing to massacre and devour fellow humans. She had a deep passion for her immoral consumption of human memories, however, no amount of food had ever been enough to fully satisfy her hunger.
After mysteriously materializing in the real world, Arneb's mind deteriorated into an infantile state. She was incapable of speech and complex thinking, instead displaying a mind driven by instinct similar to an animal's. Interestingly, she seemed to have an amicable inclination towards Subaru in this state, despite his previous actions against her. She would even go as far as to affectionately lick his face and protect him when others threatened his life, as was the case when she tackled Rem when the demon girl tried to strangle Natsuki. Even when he openly abused Louis she continued to act friendly towards Subaru.
Powers and Abilities
- Authority of Gluttony: At some point, Arneb's brothers Lye & Roy absorbed the Gluttony Witch Factor, gaining the Authority of Gluttony in the process. Due to her connection to them, Louis also received the power of Gluttony. The Authority, appropriately, was a power primarily based around eating, although not in the usual sense of the word. With the Authority of Gluttony, Louis and her brothers had the power to consume the name and memories of a target. If Louis devoured the name of a target, the target would be forgotten by everyone in the world with the exception of the gluttony siblings themselves. If Louis devoured the memories of a target, the target would become amnesiac, forgetting everything about themselves, although those who knew them would still remember them. If Arneb consumed the name and memories of a target, the person would fall into a coma of sorts, becoming an empty shell remembered by nobody.
- Like the other Sin Archbishops (with the exception of Stride Volakia), Louis received her namesake from a celestial body. "Arneb" was a former name for Alpha Leporis, the brightest star in the Lepus constellation. The word was derived from the Arabic term أرنب (arnab), which translates to "hare".
- The star names of the Gluttony siblings were each linked to the Three Great Mabeasts created by the Witch of Gluttony Daphne four hundred years ago. Louis (hare) represented the Great Rabbit, Lye (sea monster) represented the White Whale, and Roy (hydra) represented the Black Serpent.
- Louis Arneb at the Re:Zero wiki.
- Louis Arneb on Lye's page at the VS Battles wiki.
- Louis Arneb on Roy's page at the VS Battles wiki.
|Capella Emerada Lugunica · Louis Arneb · Lye Batenkaitos · Pandora · Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti · Regulus Corneas · Roy Alphard · Sirius · Stride Volakia|
|Witches of Sin|
|Carmilla · Daphne · Echidna · Hector · Minerva · Pandora · Satella · Sekhmet · Typhon|
|Black Serpent · Great Rabbit · White Whale|
|Gusteko Assassin Organization|
|Elsa Granhiert · Mama · Meili Portroute|
|Balleroy Temeglyph · Bean Argyle · Heinkel Astrea · Kurgan · Melaquera · Miles · Reid Astrea · Roswaal Mathers · Sphinx · Ton, Chin, and Kan|