|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||I am the radiant morning star, which lights the way to the sons of man. I am the true flame of life in all the glory of flesh, blood, and my own will. So come, ye lifeless puppets of God! I shall snuff out your ostentatious lights.||„|
|~ Lucifer in Shin Megami Tensei IV.|
|“||I shall not rest until both my subjects and you humans enjoy a level of freedom you have only dreamed about, for this is the true nature of things. Chaos is the true nature of the world! The stronger, more beautiful creatures survive and continue to reproduce, naturally bettering all that live. The cycle of rebirth and destruction will continue unfettered for all eternity, improving life for all until the end of time.||„|
|~ Lucifer in Shin Megami Tensei, showing his social darwinist beliefs.|
Lucifer is a recurring important figure in the Shin Megami Tensei series. He is often seen as a noble, charismatic demon, and represents the Chaos alignment, which is associated with anarchy, war, and even freedom.
In Japanese, he was voiced by Shinichiro Mik in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster Katsuyuki Konishi in Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse. In English, he was voiced by Paul Eiding in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster and Matthew Mercer in 'Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Trivia
- 6 External Links
Digital Devil Story 3: Demise of the Reincarnation
After the death of Seth, Lucifer launches a demonic invasion at earth, he goes to Yomi, the location in where the Goddess Izanami, who had bestowed divine protection upon Yumiko Shirasagi and Akami Nakajima, was present at that moment.
He considers Nakajima to be the root of all evil, denouncing him as a devil in disguise, and attempts to heroically reveal himself as the true god of the world, who would eliminate all the misery, suffering and misfortunes that have occurred, since that was his plan from the beginning.
(His debut on the videogame media, and also his debut as a boss.)
He is the final boss of the game, and at first, he appears on the Infini Palace, using the blessing spell called "Diarahan" on himself repeatedly, unless the protagonist, Nakajima, has the item known as the "White Dragon Jewel", which disables Lucifer's capability of using said ability,
Upon defeat, he is shocked to know that Nakajima has achieved the aforementioned item, and while the demon temple is collapsing and the demons are running away, Lucifer tells Nakajima that the demons will return.
Megami Tensei 2
Lucifer appears early in the game, and is seen frozen in the depths of Ginza, with the protagonist being surprised on seeing him like that. After the protagonist defeat a lesser demon from the Mesopotamian mythology known as Pazuzu, Lucifer is released from his prison by the Dark Hero, who after a fight with the fallen angel, he can't defeat him and ends up returning to his temple on the Expanse.
The protagonist is then teleported to the temple by Izanagi, after he had rescued Izanami and had achieved the Palace Ring for himself. If the protagonist has Ba'al on his team, then Lucifer will join the protagonist to fight against the gods who according to him, are controlling humanity like they were puppets. He will also give the protagonist his sword.
After YHVH's defeat, Lucifer orders demons to go back to the expanse and seals the rift between both worlds.
Shin Megami Tensei
Lucifer is the Chaos alignment, which associates with freedom and war. The protagonist can choose the Chaos alignment for freedom of choice, thoughts and actions. However, this freedom would lead to a vast amount of suffering and anarchy, leading the world into a primal state of unsuppressed vice and survival of the fittest.
Lucifer later takes the name of Louis Cyphre. The protagonist finds him after the Great Destruction, where Louis Cyphre observes the protagonist's actions. He hints at a much greater knowledge of what is happening, and seems to make allies of many demons quite easily.
At the end of the Chaos alignment path Lucifer appears in his true form to offer his congratulations to the protagonist for defeating the God of Law and resurrecting the old gods, but warns that the "true enemy" still exists.
Shin Megami Tensei II
In Shin Megami Tensei II, Lucifer is a well-respected figure amongst Demons. He is detested by YHVH and angels and he hates them in return. Lucifer represents the Chaos Path, where emotions are over cold logic, in 'purpose justifies the means'.
Throughout the game, Lucifer is aware that Aleph, the protagonist, is part of the Messiah project, and thus, many demons under his commands would assault him. As the game progresses, Lucifer becomes intrigued by Aleph's ability to defy God, and wonders if he is the incarnation of Satan, the one who would Judge them all. Lucifer is later disappointed to learn that Aleph was not Satan, though Lucifer himself could sense the imminent signs of Satan's coming.
Since Satan was sent by YHVH to cleanse the demon world, Lucifer, as the lord of the demonic world could not bear to see it's destruction. He offers Aleph an alliance to face Satan and finish their battle once and for all. Should Aleph chooses the Chaos Alignment path, Lucifer will join him in order to help protect the denizens of the world from Satan's judgment upon the world.
Shin Megami Tensei 20XX
In this installment, Lucifer is the responsible for the amount of demons that had gone to earth, and while using his human form, Louis Cyphre, he created an arena challenge to see who would be strong enough to help him in his goals of defeating YHVH and his allies.
In the Law and Neutral routes, he will be the final boss of the game, and in the chaos route, the final boss will be Metatron, who after being defeated by the protagonist, Lucifer allows said protagonist to rule the world.
This is the first game on the series, in where Lucifer is fought on his angelic form, instead of his demonic form, like the previous games.
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Lucifer plays an important role in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, where he takes the form of a young boy and an old man. They are accompanied by an old nurse, and a young woman dressed in black mourner's garb respectively. Assuming the form of a child, Lucifer is first seen in Shinjuku Hospital, where he is intrigued by the protagonist, Naoki Kashima, but disappears when the protagonist approaches him.
After the Conception, to allow Naoki survive in a now demon-ridden world, he places a Magatama into Naoki, allowing the insect to merge with him to transform him into the legendary Demi-Fiend. As the story progressed, Lucifer would assume the form of either an old man or a child, giving hints about the nature of Conception, and God himself. Lucifer would play different roles depending on Naoki's actions and the path he chooses. In the Neutral path, Lucifer is reminded of himself by protagonist's decisions, as Lucifer himself walked his own path and chose his own decisions before and after his fall from grace. He warns the protagonist to keep his demonic powers, as one day, the "true enemy" would hunt him down for defying his will, just as what happened to Lucifer himself.
In the updated release of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, titled Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne: Maniax, Lucifer takes a more important role, it is revealed that he resides deep inside the Labyrinth of Amala. He first summons the Demi-Fiend there to grant him the Candelabrum of Sovereignty, and instructs him to hunt down and retrieve the all the other Candelabra from other fiends that were also given them. His plans are finally revealed should Naoki venture into the final Kalpa of the Labyrinth of Amala, Lucifer is planning to create an extremely powerful demon, strong enough to lead the legions of Chaos in a final battle against YHVH. By granting many powerful demons a Candelabrum, Lucifer had planned to see who would reign supreme amongst demons and fiends.
An extra ending, accessible only by completing the Labyrinth of Amala unlocks the 6th ending, the True Demon path. After Naoki kills Kagatsushi, the two entities, the young boy and the old man, appear and tell the Demi-Fiend that he succeeded in breaking the cycle of destruction and rebirth, and thus, time itself is dead. The universe has been reverted to it's initial state of primordial chaos, along with all other worlds being finally freed from the grasp of YHVH. This however would mean that Naoki would be forever cursed by the Great Will, but Lucifer comforts by telling him that that demon race along with himself would always bless him. The blond child and the old man then tells Naoki that he needs to test his powers, and the two entities fuse and assume Lucifer's demonic form, engaging Naoki in battle.
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Lucifer appears here as a strange girl the Protagonist meets early in the game, calling herself Louisa Ferre. Throughout the game she appears and gives cryptic clues to the Protagonist, and seems to be aware of Jimenez's fate to become a demon and serve the Chaos faction. Should the Protagonist follow the Chaos path, she appears after the Herald Mastema is defeated in Sector Horologium, where she mocks him for his state as a fallen angel. She also proclaims that though she has no love for humanity, she will never abandon them.
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Lucifer is the main antagonist on the law route and the representative of the Chaos faction. Much like his earlier incarnations, he values war and freedom. He is more vocal about his hatred towards YHVH, calling the heroes before fighting them "Puppets of God".
While Lucifer's personality has varied through the different games, he is always portrayed as an extremely sophisticated, well-educated, and unmeasurably intelligent being who likes to wear expensive looking suits on many of his forms, and sometimes talks using a classical, Shakespearean style english. Lucifer has stated that although he has no love for humanity, he will never abandon them, and he values the freedom of individuals, although to a certain extent, since he has manipulated many humans into becoming demons. He is known for his support of Social Darwinism, believing that whoever is the fittest, has to be the one who makes the rules, he is not hypocritical in his reasoning, however, as he will accept that if an enemy defeats him, they were the one to be in the right. He also has a bit of the Übermensch idea on him, since in Shin Megami Tensei II, he talks about acting on his own values, and one of his goals is to eliminate the conventional conception of morality that humanity has.
He is known for being an extremely proficient master manipulator, having manipulated 1/3 of the angels of Heaven into following him, and regularly recruits humans or former humans that can choose to follow him. However, while not completely proven, it is very likely that Lucifer's affability is not faked, as he rarely insults his enemies, even after being defeated, not to mention that if Aleph denies Lucifer's offer of an alliance at the end of Shin Megami Tensei II, the latter will state that he doesn't want the former to be his enemy, and calmly lets him walk away.
In Shin Megami Tensei II, it is shown that he likes to spend time in bars, and in Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha VS King Abaddon, he states that he likes to spend time in churches, as he finds them soothing.
Powers and Abilities
- High Tier Demon Physiology: Like all the demons on the series ("demons" in the sense of being magical creatures, and used to refer to all supernatural beings in the whole franchise, from biblical demons, to biblical angels, to the different gods in all of mythology), Lucifer possesses a great variety of powers that he has thanks to his supernatural nature, including:
- Immeasurable Speed: Even the weakest demons on the franchise can travel through the Expanse, which is a realm that is beyond the concept of space and time, making his speed in not only movement, but also reactions and combat, completely beyond any calculations.
- Omnipresence across space and time: Demons of Lucifer's caliber are beings that exist in not only the present, but also the past and the future, therefore, destroying them would only be destroying their present self, but not their future and past sefls.
- Immeasurable Strength: Being one of the strongest demons, his strength should be on similar grounds to the Demi-Fiend's strength, who could damage him with physical blows at the end of Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne.
- Immeasurable Durability: He is far more durable than creatures who are completely immune to conventional weaponry, which includes every single modern weapon combined, and he can survive direct attacks from bengs like the Demi-Fiend, Raidou Kuzunoha, Nanashi, Flynn, etc. His durability should be similar or superior to that of the Demi-Fiend, who survived the destruction of the Amala multiverse.
- Regenerative, Deathless, Reliant and Meta-Inmortality: Due to his supernatural nature, he is beyond the conventional idea of death, and can't be killed by normal, or even paranormal means.
- True Flight/Spaceflight: Lucifer can fly across the multiverse and the expanse.
- Acausality: Demons do not perceive time in the same way that a human does, since demons perceive it in a non-linear way, being completely unaffected by it's changes.
- Abstract Existence: Demons are entities born of mankind desires, despite the fact that they have always existed, and they are thought forms made of information and data.
- Higher-Dimensional Existence: Lucifer exists in a dimensional level higher than three dimensions.
- Non-Physical Interaction: He can interact with non-existent and incorporeal beings, and even harm them.
- High-Godly level Regeneration: He can regenerate even if he is erased from both existence, and non-existence alongside the multiverse.
- Respiratory, Restful and Nutritional Self-Sustenance: Demons are beings made of data, which never get tired, don't need to sleep, don't need to eat and don't even need to breathe to survive.
- Teleportation: Can teleport through different locations across all of existence.
- Power Absorption: Demons can become stronger by devouring their enemies, as shown in Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2.
- Absorption: Demons have been shown to be capable of absorbing energy, ice, fire, electricity, the life force and vitality of their enemies, etc.
- Corruption: Demons can corrupt humans into changing their thoughts and shapes.
- Pain: Can survive tremendous amount of pain that no human being could survive, including being burnt, being stabbed and slashed, being completely frozen, being poisoned, etc.
- Poisons, pressure point attacks, biological attacks and sleep inducing attacks:Since demons are beings that are entirely made of data, techniques that target pressure points, that inflict poison, that attack the enemy's biology, or that would cause a regular person to fall asleep, have absolutely no effect on a being like Lucifer.
- Psionic attacks: Demons are born in the Expanse, an extremely chaotic realm in which there is an infinite amount of thoughts, meaning that telepathic attacks are completely useless against him.
- High Temperatures: Can survive fire blasts from characters that have a similar power level to him.
- Absolute Zero level Temperatures: Survived being frozen in Kyukaku Megami Tensei 2, and regularly tanks ice blasts from other characters.
- Shapeshifting: Can shape his form, being able to change from an angel, to a demon, to various human forms including a child form, an old man in a wheelchair form, a young woman, or a young man, among others.
- Nigh-Omniscience: Lucifer has almost complete knowledge about the past, the future, the present, and all the occurences in other parts of reality.
- Social Influencing: Lucifer has a great level of charisma on him, and is a master manipulator who convinced 1/3 of all angels to ally with him, and can do the same with humans.
- Omnilingualism: Knows every language that exists and is fluent in every single one of them.
- Martial Arts Mastery: He is a master combatant who has fought angels since the beginning of time, and can easily outmatch most of his foes with no effort whatsoever. Also, due to the fact that it is implied that all the chaos aligned demons in the game are aspects of Lucifer, he should be have the same fighting skills that certain chaos aligned demons who are martial arts masters have.
- Weapon Mastery: Demons are able to use any kind of weapons, from swords, to axes, to spears, etc. Lucifer himself had his own sword in Megami Tensei 2.
- Psychokinesis: All of the demons in the series have shown to have great psychokinetic abilities, such as:
- Telepathy: Can read minds of infinite people at the same time.
- Mind Manipulation: Can inflict extreme pain on a human's psyche with absolutely no effort.
- Telekinesis: Able to move objects with his mind.
- Sleep Manipulation: Can make people sleep with his mind.
- Memory Manipulation: Can erase memories.
- Empathic Manipulation: Can manipulate the emotions of other beings.
- Madness Manipulation/Inducement: Can make a human insane with a single thought.
- God Level Magic: Lucifer is one of the most powerful sorcerers in the entire Megami Tensei franchise, having a massive list of spells and techniques that he can use to attack his enemies
- Healing: He can heal himself and others with certain spells.
- Durability and Resistance Negation: His almighty spells can negate the natural defenses and the durability of the opponent, being able to pass right through them even if they have defense.
- Technology Manipulation: Demons have been shown to be capable of manipulating and even modifying electronic devices.
- Statistics Amplification, Reduction, Damage Boost and Reduction: Lucifer can use "Buff" spells, which can boost his statistics and his damage output, and he is also capable of using "Debuff" spells which reduce the statistics and damage output of his enemies.
- Battlefield Removal: Can remove enemies and allies from the battlefield, sending them to other places.
- Sealing: He can seal enemies, he explains that demons use this techniques against each other due to their absolute immortality making them impossible to truly kill each other.
- Soul Manipulation: Capable of manipulating souls with no effort.
- Existence Erasure: Lucifer can destroy souls with his regular attacks.
- Void Manipulation: Even weaker demons are capable of eliminating entire populations of beings made of nothingness and turning them into energy. Able to affect the Primordial Void of the cosmos with his power.
- Portal Creation: Can create portals to different dimensions.
- Space-Time Manipulation/Creation: Demons of Lucifer's level can create entire space-time planes.
- Causality Manipulation: Can revert and rewind entire events that happened in the past. This somehow can even affect acausal demons.
- Life and Death Manipulation: Can instantly kill beings of comparable might to him with certain spells.
- Necromancy: Can resurrect dead beings. Resurrected Loki.
- Forcefield/Barrier Creation: Demons can create barriers to stop humans from crossing them. Can also create barriers to protect himself as shown in the Persona 4 Golden Animation.
- Energy Manipulation: Can manipulate energy of any kind, and shoot energy blasts. Some demons have covered entire universes with their energy.
- Explosion Manipulation: Can generate explosions with a single thought. Many of his elemental attacks are also explosive.
- Reality Warping: Lucifer has the power to warp reality at will, being far superior to Loki who created and maintained a universe.
- Law Manipulation: Demons of his level can manipulate the laws of existence.
- Chaos Manipulation: Lucifer can manipulate anarchy, disorder, destruction, war, freedom and free will and also cause all of this.
- Matter Manipulation: Can manipulate matter on a subatomic level.
- Deconstruction: Can break objects and beings down molecule by molecule.
- Quantum Manipulation: Can manipulate from tiny particles to entire multiverses.
- Animal Manipulation: Can control demonic beasts. Scales from weaker demons like Pazuzu who could summon plagues.
- Elemental Manipulation: He can manipulate many elements of nature, such as:
- Absolute Zero Ice Manipulation: Can generate ice which is cold enough to freeze his enemies, many of which are beings that are above the laws of physics:
- Fire manipulation: Can generate massive exploding fireballs which incinerate his enemies.
- Electricity manipulation: Can emit powerful lightning bolts, and is even able to electrocute the entire fighting arena with his High King technique.
- Water Manipulation: Can manipulate water and use water spells.
- Earth Manipulation: Can cause earthquakes with his mind.
- Air Manipulation: Can manipulate air, and use air attacks such as the Carnal Winds technique.
- Light Manipulation: Can emit flashes of light and uses light based attacks.
- Darkness Manipulation: Can use darkness to distort space and time.
- Gravity Manipulation: Can change the gravity of any place with his mind.
- His Louis Cyphre form has one blue eye, and one red eye, this being known in real life has Heterochromia.
- His Louis Cyphre form is based on the late, legendary singer David Bowie, with his mismatched eyes being parallel to David Bowie's eye condition.
- Kazuma Kaneko, the demon designer of the Shin Megami Tensei series, has stated that Lucifer isn't inherently evil, but rather, a figure that tests and tempts the protagonists through the franchise.
- He has a lot of similarities with the villain known as Lucifer Morningstar, from DC/Vertigo Comics. Besides from the fact that they are both based on the biblical character known as The Devil, both being the in-universe versions of him in their respective works., yet portrayed far more sympathetically. Both of them are extremely rebellious, one being the physical embodiment of the chaotic side of existence, while the other being the embodiment of free will. Both are among the most powerful characters in their respective multiverses, both being able to warp reality and manipulate the elements, among other similar powers that both possess, such as flight, teleportation, godlike physical characteristics, nigh-omniscience, etc. They both lead the armies of hell in their respective universes, they both are portrayed as blonde, and using expensive looking suits, both are very cultured and like to spend time in bars, both are master manipulators, etc. The differences being, for example, that Shin Megami Tensei's Lucifer uses different forms, while Vertigo's Lucifer always stays the same, as well as the fact that Shin Megami Tensei's Lucifer is depicted as having from six to twelve wings, while Vertigo's Lucifer is only portrayed as having two. The other difference being that Shin Megami Tensei's Lucifer is more interested in humans than Vertigo's Lucifer.
Lucifer on the Megami Tensei Wiki
Lucifer on the VS Battles Wiki