|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||You also rule a world, Morpheus. A world of sleepers and dreamers, of stories. A simple place compared to Hell. I envy you. Can you imagine what it was like? Ten billion years providing a place for dead mortals to torture themselves? And like all masochists, they called the shots. 'Burn me.' 'Freeze me.' 'Eat me.' 'Hurt me.' And we did. Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive. 'The Devil made me do it.' I have never made any one of them do anything. Never. They live their own tiny lives. I do not live their lives for them.||„|
|~ Lucifer Morningstar describing his life of being the Devil.|
Lucifer Morningstar is a fallen angel who appears as an anti-superhero/anti-supervillain from DC comics. He has taken the role of Satan on several occasions, though he has abandoned such power in favor of a more neutral existence - however, beings such as Lucifer can never truly be redeemed.
A long time ago, Lucifer was sent into the Chaosplasm for rebelling against Heaven. The Chaosplasm then became Hell, both Lucifer's prison and kingdom. He later also was forced to share some of his power when the Great Darkness returned.
At some time, Dream of the Endless went into hell, hunting for his stolen helm. After finding his helm and seeing Lucifer, he threatened him that he would kill him.
After ten billion years of ruling Hell, Lucifer stopped ruling it. He also became bored with life and the falsehoods man spread about him. Because of this, he kicked everyone out of hell, locked it's gates, and handed it's key to Dream of the Endless, which later went into Duma's and Reimel's hands.
Heading to Earth, he now owns Lux, a bar in Los Angeles with Mazikeen. Said to be sophisticated and charming with a deadly and prideful underbelly, he is also stated to be both smart, powerful, and good-looking. He also has a code of honor of sorts, not lying, always paying back debts, and always doing what he says. However, he is also ruthless and self-centered, willing to manipulate people and deities for his own ends and he once let a couple starve to death in a labyrinth for intruding in the Lux.
His retirement was later interrupted by several of his former associates, where he, for her father. went ahead and made a universe. This event caused him, with several other deities, to make a new host of angels.
Powers and Abilities
- Nigh-Omnipotence: Unlike regular Fallen Angels, Lucifer retained his holy and nigh omnipotent powers, instead of them being faded away completely. Lucifer is able to manipulate any external force for any effect he desires. He cannot, however, create something out of nothing; for this he needs the Demiurgic force of his brother Michael, and later his niece Elaine. Together, Michael and Lucifer are capable of creating anything from living beings to entire multiverses. His most common use of power is calling forth the fire of the various suns he used to birth and burning his opponents to ashes. Lucifer is even stronger than the Endless and the only known beings able to rival and surpass his power are Michael and The Presence.
- Nigh-Omniscience: Lucifer has knowledge of the universe's entire history. He also knows information about others that they don't even have knowledge of themselves, stating that "the world is a book, some words stand out from the page.
- Cosmic Awareness:
- Energy Projection:
- Enhanced Intellect: Lucifer's mental capacity is enhanced to levels greater than any normal human, allowing him to take in and process information at an accelerated rate. He was able to process the universe's 20 billion year history in the blink of an eye.
- Flight: Through the use of his large, angelic wings, Lucifer is able to fly.
- Immortality: Lucifer will never grow physically old and can live forever. He is billions of years old. Only The Presence is said to have the ability to destroy him.
- Magic: Lucifer can use magic spells for various purposes. He was able to cast a spell on a dimensional gateway, so that it would unmake the rest of creation if it was opened. He has also displayed skill in the use of blood magic. One spell allowed Lucifer to disrupt the power of the Basanos, using both his and Mazikeen's blood. Lucifer also used Mazikeen's blood to create a doorway out of an abstract dimension. He was also able to use "sympathetic magic", a type of magic based on imitation or correspondence. This allowed him to blind two demons by putting out a lit match.
- Matter Absorption:
- Necromancy: As a psychopomp, Lucifer can choose the soul's destination if he kills a person or supernatural being, such as a demon. He killed Musubi by her own will; freeing herself from Izanami's service. Lucifer can also manipulate souls and the dead for various other purposes.
- Power Distribution: Lucifer has been shown capable of empowering a person's soul as a guardian spirit over virtually anything.
- Resurrection: Lucifer is capable of ressurecting anyone or anything that he kills.
- Pyrokinesis: As the Lightbringer, Lucifer possesses absolute control over fire and light. In his original role as "God's lamplighter", Lucifer used this power to condense clouds of hydrogen into star-masses and set them ablaze. He was able to manipulate residual energy of the cosmos to create suns on multiple occasions. He can also create large masses, and explosions of fire, as well as shape natural flames to his will.
- Thermal-Blast: Lucifer can generate powerful blasts of flames at will. He has also been shown capable of breathing a destructive stream of fire.
- Disintegration/Incineration: Lucifer can incinerate beings with his flames. He also once used his fire to incinerate the eyes of Meleos
- Dimensional Travel: Lucifer is capable of traveling throughout realms at will. He can create portals to Hell, as well as open doorways to the Void, a space outside of creation. He was also able to splinter a dimensional gateway to a world of his own creation across the multiverse, creating millions of gateways. Lucifer once traveled into the mind of a dying man, and was even able to fly to the edge of the universe, where The Source resides.
- Reality Alteration: Lucifer is capable of shaping reality at will. After an explosion of Michael's Demiurgic power exploded in the Void, Lucifer was able to shape this energy into a universe of his own design, and even create life on this world.
- Superhuman Stamina: Lucifer is able to function without rest or sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Lucifer is strong enough to throw a person into orbit.
- Superhuman Speed: Lucifer has been said to be able to circle the planet before his image leaves your eye.
- Telekinesis: Lucifer was capable of telekinetically flinging knives at goons, and slicing them into chunks.
- Wings: As a fallen angel, Lucifer possesses large angelic wings.
In other media
Lucifer appears in the film Constantine, portrayed by Peter Stormare. This film's adaptation of Lucifer wears a pure white suit and has tattoos visible at the sleeves and neckline, implying a full body design, while constantly dripping a black oil from his feet that leaves footprints. In the film, Lucifer loathes John Constantine with such vigor that his soul is the only one he would ever come to personally collect.
- Main article: Lucifer Morningstar
In the show, he is bored of his role of ruling Hell, and so he rebels, abandoning the Underworld to go live in the mortal world, more specifically Los Angeles, where he runs a nightclub called Lux with his demon companion, Mazikeen "Maze". When a celebrity he did business with is gunned-down before him, he sets out to find out who ordered the hit, but Maze is concerned that he's showing empathy for mortals. He currently assists L.A.P.D. detective Chloe Decker in solving various cases, using his ability to compel people to speak their honest opinions and secrets to get what he wants. Meanwhile, the angel Amenadiel appears to Lucifer and tries convincing him to go back to Hell, as he'll have to take Lucifer's place if he doesn't go back, who then releases a psychotic damned soul named Malcolm Graham to ensure that Lucifer returns to Hell by force, which backfires and forces the two to work together to send him back.
In Season 2, he's reunited with his mother, who escapes from Hell at the end of Season 1. He is later forced to confront her after she plans to return to Heaven to wreak vengeance on God for banishing her, and starts willingly hurting any mortal who gets in her way. In Season 3, Lucifer finds himself with his angel wings regrown, and must hunt down the one who kidnapped him and did so. His only suspect is a criminal mastermind known as "the Sinnerman", who was later revealed to be the L.A.P.D.'s new lieutenant, Marcus Pierce a.k.a. Cain. He is also forced to confront his feelings for Chloe Decker, whose true affection he rivals Pierce over. At the end of the season, his face is unintentionally revealed to Chloe after killing Pierce for murdering Charlotte Richards.
In Season 4, Lucifer is faced with several dilemmas that affect his life: Chloe trying to accept his face, the return of the original sinner Eve; a fanatical priest named Father Kinley who is trying to send him back to Hell because of a prophecy that spoke of him and his "first love" unleashing evil on Earth; and trying to struggle with hating himself for his past actions. At the end of the season, after demons briefly visit Earth to replace him with Amenadiel's son, Lucifer returns to Hell to stop them, but not before confessing his love for Chloe.
In Season 5, after ruling Hell for thousands of years (which is actually five months on Earth), Lucifer is forced to return to Earth after Amenadiel informs him that his evil twin brother Michael has arrived in Los Angeles impersonating him and is attempting to either ruin or take over his life, leaving Amenadiel to rule Hell. After doing so, he learns that Amenadiel returns after God tells him that Hell no longer needs a warden, and he starts a relationship with Chloe. Later, during a fight alongside Amenadiel against Michael, God arrives to end their conflict.
Ellis reprised his role as Lucifer in the Arrowverse's 2019-2020 crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths, mainly appearing in the third part. John Constantine, John Diggle and Mia Smoak travel to Earth-666 to ask Lucifer for help by giving them a card to enter Purgatory so they could save Oliver Queen's soul.
- Creator Neil Gaiman explained that Lucifer's design was based on the late legendary singer David Bowie.