This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||When I was at Junior High School, I started making fantasy stories in my head, and there are several serialized works, but only one of them, "Breath of the Stars", is Chainsaw Man. In it, Makima is a character that symbolizes "domination". That's why Makima was the first character in Chainsaw Man that I had a solid image of both inside and outside. I like Benten character in The Eccentric Family (Based on the novel by Tomohiko Morimi), because she is an unfathomable being who is higher than humans, but she has her own sadness, but we, the lowly ones, can't be there for her sadness. I like it. It would be nice if I could show that in Makima too. By the way, isn't a Chainsaw originally a tool to cut wood? If you cut the "ki" out of "Makima", you get "Mama". Denji has always pursuing maternal things.||„|
|~ The mangaka of Chainsaw Man, Tatsuki Fujimoto, about Makima in the artbook interview of Chainsaw Man.|
|“||It seems the time has come. If we don't kill Makima now, the worst possible peace will descend upon humanity. It looks like the other nations have already given up. No... It's probably accurate to say they've accepted it. Fearing and strengthening Makima is nothing less than the history of humanity. Everything, even resistance, may be but a step on a predictable course. But the land of the free rests on my shoulders. I cannot simply surrender without so much as a whimper. My citizens, forgive my foolish decision. Gun Devil, I'll give you one year of the life spans of the American people. In exchange, I want you to kill Makima that is... the Control Devil.||„|
|~ Makima's true colors as the Control Devil.|
|“||Pochita: Denji, I want you to grant the Control Devil's dream too. The Control Devil, she always wanted to form an equal relationships with others. She could only form relationship through fear. So she always longed for something like a family. That's the kind of world she wanted to create, even if she went about it wrong the way. So, you create that world for her, okay?
Denji: Pochita, how do I?
Pochita: Give her lots of hugs.
|~ Pochita telling Denji about Makima's true motivation and endgame.|
Makima is the main antagonist of the Chainsaw Man series. She serves as the tritagonist while also secretly the overall main antagonist of the Public Safety Saga, until becoming the overarching antagonist of the Gun Devil Arc where she reveals her true nature and also the titular main antagonist of the Control Devil Arc, the final arc of Part 1. She will likely be a posthumous antagonist in the Academy Saga, the Part 2 of the series.
Initially acting as a helpful ally towards the protagonist, Denji, by taking him under her wing and making him as a pet, she is also the leader of the Public Safety Devil Hunter organization who tried her best to make Denji's life happy to the point he tried to find another purpose in life and becoming a happier person compared to what he is in the past due to the suffering that he had endured during his childhood days.
In spite of this however, Makima has done some morally ambiguous things over the course of the story for the sake of the greater good such as having no hesitation to hurt Denji if he disobeyed, using blackmails to get what she wants and so on while also possessing several inhuman traits such as resurrecting herself from her assailant even if she was murdered or managing to overpower a primal devil by just wounding him. As the story progressed, she turns out to be something worse.
Around Chapter 75, it was revealed that Makima herself is a powerful and omniscient devil as old as human history itself known as the Control Devil who was feared by the human beings for several centuries as several other nations, including the United States, attempts to escape from her grasp to prevent her bringing the worst kind of peace towards the world. In addition, it was revealed that her personality of being a kind figure that Denji respected is not what it seems.
By the time Chapter 84 hits, it was then revealed that she is a number one admirer of the Chainsaw Man, the entity that was sealed on Denji's body, and plans to use his powers to eradicate all of the devils including the formidable ones that has been plagued humanity for years in order to bring a better world for humanity, fulfilling the hopes of her contractor, The Japanese Prime Minister.
During Chapter 87, It is possible however, that Makima herself is heavily implied to be one of the members of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse that holds the moniker of Conquest as she was also involved in the battle with Chainsaw Man before he went missing which resulted on her attempting to find her whereabouts.
At the end of the day, it was revealed that Makima is nothing but a psychotic fangirl who views her making a better world as a secondary objective for her as she attempts to have Pochita for herself while planning to live together happily ever after. In the end, she was then defeated after she severely underestimating the person whom she views as an obstacle to her plans at worst and a mere lapdog at best.
However, at the same time, in Chapter 97, she can be perceived as a tragic character who only wants to feel love and empathy as she attempts to create a world where everyone is equal to her footing so that she could build a familial relationship due to the fact that she was never shown one as the government raises her to be a ruthless, cold and no-nonsense woman that leads the Public Safety to exterminate devils and bring world peace in the present day. After her death, she is now reincarnated as a child named Nayuta, who is a docile and weaker version of her with no memories of her past.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Relationships
- 5 List of Victims
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Trivia
- 9 External Links
Makima initially presented herself as a woman with otherworldly beauty around her early to mid twenties with light brownish-red hair tied in braid and has an eye length bangs and has two longer side bangs that frame her face. In addition, she also possesses strange golden eyes that almost looks like a cat with swirly pupils accompanied by it. Most of the time, she supports a rather calm and collected look on her face to show that she is rather serious on her job.
In most of her appearances, Makima wears a black businessman suit with a white shirt and black tie tucked inside of it just like other Devil Hunters and she sometimes take off her businessman coat. In her casual outfit, Makima wears a nearly unbuttoned white jacket with a black dress inside of it, long black stockings and a high heeled shoe. In Pochita's vision, she is imagined as wearing pure white lingerie alongside Reze.
During the meeting at the beach Chapter 74, Makima only wears a plain, simple yet beautiful black dress. When she was shot by the Gun Devil, a halo of brain matter emerges from her headshot, making her resemble a faux angel. In Chapter 80, she wears a black jacket with white shirt tucked inside of it and some regular pants.
After her death and reincarnating as Nayuta, she is portrayed as a little girl with short black hair and a swirly pupils that her previous incarnation also possessed with a beauty mark under her left eye as she wears a black shirt with a white collar, a long, black pants and a black shoes. After Denji brought her home, Nayuta is shown wearing a plain white pajamas.
|“||I thought she was nice. I even started to fall for her. But she's a damn psycho! Don't treat a man like a f***ing dog.||„|
|~ Denji's impression after seemingly treated poorly by Makima.|
During her first appearance, she was portrayed as the seemingly Big Good of the manga, even managing to save Denji from his hellish life and tries to make him happy by coddling him and even made a companions just for him to form a rather big and strong family that were integrated together while Makima acts as a motherly figure or an actual ideal girlfriend towards Denji. Her motherly figure can be shown when Makima attempts to cheer up Denji by either inviting him on a date to watch movies together or letting him stay at her home when he fell asleep in the park bench. Makima also shows herself to be a dog person as she owns several dogs in her own apartment.
It is also stated that she is on the humanity side, claiming that she attempts to save the humanity from the devils that were plaguing this world. Despite some of her ruthless behavior, she has no hesitations to call out several hypocrite Yakuzas about justifying themselves being a necessary evil as she needed their cooperation to further her own plans seemingly saving humanity. In addition, Makima also shown a bit of a glimpse of the humanity in her when she cried during her time with Denji watching the third film about a man seemingly reconciling with his lost friend. Makima is also shown to be serious and calm person on her job as she made herself as a no-nonsense authority figure for the Devil Hunter bureau itself while mostly spend her time as a person who has limited emotions over the course of the story. Despite this, Makima is shown to be a respected figure by the Devil Hunters as according to one of them, Aki Hayakawa, he owed Makima deeply because Makima saved her life from a dark and troubled past while another one, Madoka, also respected Makima due to her respecting the decision to quit the bureau after the massacre towards the Devil Hunters happened.
However, at the same time, Makima is shown to be ruthless in her job, having no hesitation to threaten Denji by euthanizing him or treat him like a devils if he decides to disobey her orders after he already made him as her pet while also shows her ruthlessness nature towards people who were against her such as the assailant that nearly kills her or Denji or the aforementioned Yakuza by brutally wounding or killing them. In addition, Makima shows herself to be a rather shady figure as she conspired with other members of the bureau in order to further the goals of the Japanese Government especially the mission to obtain several Gun Devil fragments. In addition, Makima's accomplice and the strongest devil hunter ever lived, Kishibe, also suspects Makima is a compulsive liar as he suspects that Makima disguises her true intentions under the guise of being a benevolent savior of humanity. Makima can also be considered as a jingoistic person, willingly following her superior orders in order to obtain the fragment for gun devil to ensure Japan become a superpower country trumping over the likes of America, Soviet Union or China, even having no hesitation to start a war with other countries just to get the gun devil fragments to control the Gun Devil for their nefarious purposes.
At the same time, Makima also shown to performs several sketchy and inhumane behavior across the manga due to her seemingly immortal nature, being able to control other animal life itself to perform her bidding, managing to wound one of the Primordial Devils and also had a rather creepy Orwellian approach to increase her knowledge towards other surrounding which makes her rather frightening for a good reason.
In truth, all of the inhuman and ruthless things she had done over the course of the manga are the foreshadowing to revealed that she is something worse: It was revealed that she is actually The Control Devil who exists a long time ago and was feared across the globe by humans and devils alike with the intention of bringing the worst kind of peace into the world. Her true personality were revealed to be that of a compulsive liar and manipulative sociopath who willingly use other people and devils as mere chess pawns to further her own goal while in addition, revealing herself to be a huge sadist as it was revealed that Makima had groomed him to have a happy life at first before crushing it all to pieces as she gaslights him for all the seemingly terrible things she had done so that she could sever the pact between Denji and Pochita.
In Chapter 84, it was then revealed that all of the atrocities that she committed was for her own agenda alongside the Japanese's Prime Minister to bring a better world towards humanity to flourish which clearly correlates with her earlier personality seemingly care towards humanity as she attempts to use the power of the Chainsaw Man in order to get rid all of the devil including the powerful ones that has plaguing the existence of humanity and was feared by them. It was also revealed that she also admires Chainsaw Man to the point it's borderline obsession for her, blatantly saying that she was a number one fan of him, due to its powers being able to make a devil ceased to exist as this was proven by several people forgetting tragedies or fears that the devil possesses such as Nazi, World War II, Nuclear Weapons, Four Fates besides death, stars that break children's minds and so on. Her obsession with Chainsaw Man was also shown in Chapter 87 as she become overjoyed on reuniting again with him after the big battle that she had during the past and attempt to settle the long fight that they had.
Makima is also shown to possess an omniscient level of memory as it was shown that she is aware of the tragedies and fears that happened in the past despite humanity forgot about it due to the powers of the Chainsaw Man that made the devils ceased to exists. In addition to all of this, she also possesses a rather calm, collected demeanor and a shrewd mind as if she failed to do something or losing against someone in the battle, Makima uses several backup plan as she attempted to win in the end as her calm and collected behavior was also shown during the battle in Chapter 87 until chapter 88 as while she knew fully well she will lose the battle against Chainsaw Man with the hybrids, Makima stays very calm as she uses her backup plan by shooting Chainsaw Man to the space when her plan to defeated him by using Hybrid Devils that she had brainwashed seemingly failed while fully aware that she could possibly lose the battle against Chainsaw Man.
However, at the same time, Makima's calm and collected demeanor led to her absolute apathy on winning and losing the battle as in the end, Makima also perceives some of her losses as an absolute win in the end especially when it comes to fighting the Chainsaw Man which she obsessed at. This was shown where she dismissed Kishibe warnings about if she lost the battle against the Chainsaw Man and will be eaten by him in which she still considered it as an absolute win because she intends to become part of the Chainsaw Man itself and still tries to harness his powers. Her calm and collected behavior was also shown during the battle in Chapter 87, seemingly apathetic if she doesn't win the battle against Chainsaw Man or not despite using hybrid devils on her own disposal to defeat Chainsaw Man, knowing full well that she will lose the battle. Makima also possesses a huge sadomasochistic tendencies during the fight against Chainsaw Man as during Chapter 88, she is seemingly possessing a rather elated face as Chainsaw Man tied her and the brainwashed hybrids before cutting them off, indicating that she had a lot of fun during her battle against Chainsaw Man.
In the end, it was then revealed that around Chapter 89, her calm and collected behavior during her battle alongside the hybrid devils against Chainsaw Man were paid off in the end because the gambits that she had pulled such as having him to fight against Aki was revealed to weaken Chainsaw Man itself as Makima is aware that Chainsaw Man was powered by the fear of devil so as a result, she uses the power of adoration of the humans across the world in order to weaken the Chainsaw Man himself so that she could have an easier time to attack him.
At the same time however, Makima also reveals her sociopathic tendencies in the similar chapter when she weakened Chainsaw Man: While she clearly loves humans, she perceive that kind of love as humans fondness with dogs as humans according to Makima are loyal, easily handled, clever and stupid as watching their movements is a rather fun thing to experience with Makima herself embracing the adoration and praises that the humanity had for her. As Makima easily attacks Chainsaw Man with the Spear of Longinus with the help of Angel which causes Chainsaw Man to be gravely wounded, instead of being happy, Makima felt disappointed possibly because of the Chainsaw Man wounding himself to protect Kobeni instead of being submissive towards her.
In addition to all of this, Makima also shows a rather condescending and elitist behavior, viewing Denji as nothing but an obstacle for her to meet Chainsaw Man and also viewing him as unworthy for the title due to his appearance and mannerisms alone. When Denji asks her if bad movies will exists in her utopian world, alluding to their date in the cinemas, Makima then answered his question by saying that she has no hesitations to remove all the bad movies from earth, reflecting her determination to bring a world where human race experience no suffering and misfortunes.
During the battle against Denji who now becomes Chainsaw Man in Chapter 94, it was heavily implied that despite she gains tons of advantage during the battle against him, she also possess a personal code during the battle as she prefers to battle one-on-one against Denji as she was rather bored after overpowering Chainsaw Man several times. As a result, Makima decides to revive Denji by giving him her blood in order to have a one last battle against her. Despite this, Makima still shows her petty grudge as she still holds a contempt against Denji after seeing Pochita chooses him more compared to her, even perceiving him as an unworthy person holding a title of Chainsaw Man because he didn't fill the criteria of what Chainsaw Man was according to her while also having no hesitations sending death threats towards him because he is in her way.
At the end of the day, it was then revealed that Makima herself only views Chainsaw Man as a possession that she was obsessed with while revealing that her seeming goal to make a better world is just a mere second objective for her as she contemplated to live with Chainsaw Man in a happy live together forever. Her trait on severely underestimating Denji as nothing but an obstacle comes bite her hard at the end as she was killed by the thing that she hated in the first place and was turned into a minced meat to be eaten Denji despite that he ate her to show love for her.
However, at the same time, after the final chapter of part 1 hits, it was revealed that Makima is nothing but a tragic figure herself who still wants to create an utopian world in her own way by creating a world where she can be equal to others and also yearning a familial relationship that she never has despite building the relationship through fear and trying to create said world with a wrong method. This is due to the fact that she was never taught to feel love and empathy as she was raised to be a cold, ruthless and no-nonsense woman that leads the Public Safety Division in order to exterminate devils and bring a better world for humans which in turns shows her distaste with the members of the Government and the Bureau itself.
Her behavior through nurture was shown when she is reincarnated as Nayuta who is essentially the more docile and weaker version of Makima while keeping her innocence still intact as Kishibe tells Denji to not let her to be given by the government to be raised and her distaste towards the Bureau was also shown in Chapter 22 where she expresses a displeasure on meeting with the Kyoto Bigwigs as she wanted to enjoy her hobby in peace. Her wish to yearn something for a familial relationship was also shown during her date with Denji as she was shown crying after seeing a movie about two people hugging with each other.
Powers and Abilities
Holding the title Control Devil and being one of the most powerful demons in the stories, Makima has several powers on her disposal:
- Immortality and Durability: For a Control Devil that exists as long as the human history to the point that they even feared Makima, she herself is an absolutely immortal being as no matter how devils or humans tried to kill or harm her, she is capable of bouncing back with her miraculously recover. It is also shown that Makima's body is extremely durable as when she was wounded, she is seemingly doesn't feel a thing. This was shown during her fight against the Gun Devil when she was seemingly shot by it, instead of being wounded, a halo of brain matter emerges from her wound and was used to fight back against the Gun Devil or when she was shot by her assailant, Makima miraculously recovers from her death as if the shot that killed her feels like a small wound that she can be easily recovered with or when Chainsaw Man revived, as she was dismembered by Chainsaw Man himself, she revived normally like she feels nothing at all. It is stated that Makima had died 33 times in a row during the main story (She was also revealed to be attacked and killed by Chainsaw Man 26 times). Despite this however, her immortality could run out if Chainsaw Man eats her, severing contract with the Japanese Prime Minister, eradicating all of the population of Japan or at the very least, killing the Prime Minister to make Makima seemingly mortal.
- Reflection and Conversion: It is stated by Makima herself that after making a contract with the Japanese Prime Minister, any attacks that will be inflicted by Makima herself will be converted into some kind of illness for the Japanese people or at the very least, having their deaths dismissed as accidents. This is best shown due to the casualties of the Gun Devil or Denji's assailant getting brutally murdered as a result of their actions attacking Makima.
- Manipulation: Being the Control Devil, this is one of her core parts of her character as she use her charisma and other stuff such as brainwashing in order to get what she wants and treating other people as tool for her to further her own plans. She was also shown to be able to manipulate people with her own brainwashing powers or just a simple manipulation tricks. Her manipulation powers can be exemplified with her relationship with Denji as she attempts to groom him at first glance by giving him a happiness that he never had by coddling him at first to the point Denji respected her and attempts to find a purpose by making a goal based on her. However, in the end, all of the sweetness that she had shown towards Denji was an act all along to further her own plans which broke Denji even further.
- Brainwashing and Memory Manipulation: Makima uses her brainwashing powers in order to subjugate her people easier in order for them to be easy to control or at least making them dealing with her contract. She is also shown to be able to tamper with a person's memories as well by either making them forgetting something horrible that had happened or making them thinking that she was their savior. This was shown when she uses a brainwashing powers towards the Angel Devil when she regains his own memories about his real past in order to prevent him killing her or tampering with Aki's memories about how he ended up loving her to the point she owed her his life despite he didn't know about the reason on why he was devoted towards Makima in the first place. However, her brainwashing powers also has a drawback: She only able to brainwash other creature if they were a lower-lifeforms compared to her and unable to control the lifeforms that are stronger or higher than her. In order to overcome her drawbacks, she must defeated the demons with higher lifeforms in order to make them subservient. This was shown when she is unable to defeat Chainsaw Man because of how formidable devil he is, earning the moniker of the most feared devil due to his ability to erasing them from existence by just eating them, but is able to control the likes of Reze, Quanxi and Katana Man after the former two were revived by Makima because due to the fact that Makima kills the former two and the latter was defeated by Denji but still sitting on the lower tier of the food chain compared to Makima herself.
- Authority: Being one of the highest members of the Devil Hunter Organization, Makima is able to assert her own authority towards the other Devil Hunter either through charisma or fear befitting her title as the Control Devil due to her brainwashing powers and manipulation. She even has no hesitations to dispose the Devilmen once they ended up quitting or violating the rules and also has no hesitation to use blackmail or threats to coerce people to do her dirty job as was shown in her attempt to threaten Denji by euthanizing him if he didn't do his job or successfully manages to subjugate one of the Yakuza families to work with her by giving them the body parts of their loved ones.
- Charisma: Despite her reputation being feared as the Control Devil, Makima is also capable using her charisma in the earlier chapters of the manga, even capable on building several relationship that really benefits her. This was shown with her interactions with one of the Devil Hunters, Makoto, when she seemingly respecting his decision to quit the Devil Hunter during the massacre or using her charisma just to trick Denji to do her bidding. Despite Kishibe's suspicions towards Makima to the point he desired to kill her, he decides not to interfere with her business due to her siding with humanity at first glance.
- Psychic Powers: Makima has a rather strong psychic powers that could be used to brutally killing other people as if they were killed by an invisible force as she forms several symbols on her hands to do so and is able to brutally crushing people on the inside out or just murdering them by looking at the target and using her psychic power or just pointing her index finger as a psychical gun to defeat her enemies. Her brutal physic powers was shown where she performed the ritual in a shrine to kill Denji's assailants or crushing a Yakuza inside out that made him bleed. Her power was also shown to be capable to wound the Darkness Devil and she was also shown to kill Power with the same psychic gun powers that she used towards the Darkness Devil itself. In addition, she uses her psychic gun again during her fight in Chapter 88 as her psychic gun is so powerful to the point she manages to sent Chainsaw Man into space.
- Omniscience: Being one of the strongest devils in existence and having lived for years, Makima possesses a rather omniscient level of knowledge. This is because of her powers using a low-life creatures such as rats or birds across the planet by borrowing their ears or eyes in order to gather more information. Her omniscience powers can be shown during her attempt at listening on both Quanxi and Kishibe to their conversation or knowing the names of the criminals that assaulted Denji. However, her omniscient power also has a drawback as the person who could potentially become a victim of her surveillance and omniscient powers can circumvent her powers by using papers to communicate or at the very least, communicating in other places where rats and birds are unable to see. In addition, Makima is unable to control any entity that has higher rank than her and decides to defeat them in a fight in order to make them easier to control. Her omniscient level of knowledge and memory was also shown further in Chapter 84 as she is aware of the tragedies that were erased from human history thanks to the Chainsaw Man eating the devils that causes them to cease to exists and humanity forgetting about the fears that they had possessed. As Kishibe confirms it in Chapter 93, is also shown that Makima possesses an extraordinary hearing sense which shows on how she is able to control the nature itself just to hear people's thoughts while also using it to find her potential victims.
- Strong Sense of Smell: According to Denji, Makima has a rather strong sense of smell as she perceives other people or devils with their stench even if she doesn't remember their faces. This was further lampshaded in Chapter 2 where she says that she can tell that Denji is telling the truth due to her strong sense of smell. The power in question was used to Denji's advantage in order to defeat Makima as despite she perceives people or other devils despite their strong sense of smell, she never saw him once even from the start.
- Teleportation: Makima is able to teleport anywhere by controlling an amount of rats so that she could be transformed into the location faster than before. This was shown during her encounter with Reze where Makima manifests herself after the rats brought her to the location where Reze is standing before meeting her last moments.
- Controlling the Dead: While not a necromancer by any means, Makima is capable on transmit her voice into other people and controlling them whether they are still alive and dead so that she could use their contract devils to control them in order to defeat her own enemies. Her abilities can be shown when she attempts to fight the Gun Devil which resulted on Makima using several contracts of the Devil Hunters who some of them are already dead.
- Contract Making: Despite it is stated by Aki that devils are unable to form a contract, it is shown that Makima is capable to made a contract with other devils so that they could do her bidding to fight against their enemies. However, it is shown that she also need to use her chains to enslave several people in order to make the contract making to happen. This was shown during the fight against the Gun Devil as after making several contracts with them, she then uses the stolen devils and then teleports them to the Gun Devil to destroy Gun Devil once and for all. Furthermore, her contract making abilities can be shown during Chapter 89 where she enslaves several men and also Angel Devil using her chain that came out from near the part of her womb in order to summon the Spear of Longinus to attack Kobeni and Chainsaw Man.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Being the leader of Public Safety Devil Hunter organization, Makima is surprisingly well versed in hand-to-hand combat despite being a devil that tends to use manipulation and other people to fight against her enemies. This was shown during Chapter 95 where she brutally send a No-Holds Barred Beatdown towards Denji in his Chainsaw Man form despite sometimes using her devil hunters to recover from her losses which ends with Makima knocking out Denji as she brutally rips Pochita out from Denji in order to fulfill her goal reviving Chainsaw Man again.
- High Tolerance with Alcohol: Throughout the series, Makima is shown to be able to tolerate alcohol as she is unable to get drunk despite drinking lots of alcohol in several chapters unlike other people such as Aki, Kishibe or Himeno.
|“||Pochita giving you that heart in exchange for you living a normal life. That agreement that you had with Pochita wasn't a promise, it was a contract. I thought hard about how to break that contract. I thought hard about what I had to do to hurt you so badly that you could never recover, so you can't live a normal life anymore. It was a really hard thing to do, you know? I mean you had even felt pretty satisfied with the life you were living with Pochita before. So the first thing to do was make sure you experienced an extraordinary amount of happiness. I prepared a job for you, paid you, money, had you eat all sorts of delicious foods, and even provided you with a family that you were able to get along with. Aki made a nice older brother for you, and Power become a troublesome little sisters to take care of. I made that happiness your normal, and then destroyed it all. From now on, whatever happiness, whatever normality you feel, I'll be the one to construct it all and I'll be the one to destroy it all. If you overcome your sadness and make friends, I'll kill them. If you get married and have children, I won't let your wife and children live long.||„|
|~ Makima revealing her true colors towards Denji.|
When Denji first time meeting her, Denji initially had a rather high opinion of her at first glance because Makima is the first person who shows him true kindness. Despite Denji was treated like a dog and has no hesitation to euthanize him when he rebelled against Makima's order which resulted on Denji's opinion on Makima plummeted at first due to Makima's threat, his opinion on Makima bounces back because Makima still ended up showing a kindness towards Denji after he had done his job despite she would treat him like any other devils if he decides to rebel or quitting. As the chapter went by, Denji always look upon Makima in a rather positive light as Makima coddled him by inviting him to a date or giving him what he wants, protecting him from dangers that he will face and even giving him a reason to live his life to the fullest when he was down or treating him well, even giving him several true companions along the way. When he ended up falling into his greatest despair around Chapter 80, Denji then decides to free himself from the burdened thoughts of killing his friend and wishing himself as Makima's dog at the end of the day.
However, in the end, all of the great relationship that she built with Denji for over the course of the manga were revealed to be an act all along. As it was revealed that Makima had grooming him into her perfect pawn and after his companions were murdered by Makima, it was revealed that she is nothing more than an abusive person towards Denji, even mentally abusing him by gaslighting him for the past sins he had done which resulted on him living in a miserable life while also confessing towards Denji that she is a type of a person who will make someone having a happy life at first, only to destroy it at a later time. The reason why Makima did this is not only to amuse herself, but she also did this in order destroy the bond Denji had formed with Pochita during the earliest chapters in order to make him breaking the contract with Pochita. At the end, Denji ended up becoming a broken slave who is a former shell of himself under Makima's control after Makima kills all that everything he loved just to get Denji and Pochita to break the contract.
During Chapter 93, when Denji revives back into his older self, it was then revealed that despite every horrific things that she had done towards him, Denji couldn't help himself but still liking her, even having conflicted feelings on whether he should kill her after all the things they had done together. As Denji prepares to fight against Makima and her personal army in a cemetry, Denji's resolve on killing Makima becomes clear after he asks her about the existence of bad movies in her own ideal world, alluding to their date that they had in the movie theater as they watch movies together, in which she responded by saying that she has no hesitations to purge any bad movies from existence. It is also shown that Makima has an elitist view towards Denji, perceiving him as nothing but an obstacle to meet Chainsaw Man while also perceiving him as unworthy of the title as she judges from the way he talks, his mannerisms and his appearance.
Despite defeating Makima in the end, Denji still tries to express his own twisted love towards her in his own way by eating all of her remains of her deceased body so that he could become one with her in the end to burden her own sins despite being aware that the people who died from her actions won't forgive her. In Chapter 97, her dislike towards Denji was further cemented during his discusion with Kishibe as he told him that she never cared towards him in the first place even if she uses her strong sense of smell ability in order to track him. After Makima's death and subsequent reincarnation as Nayuta with her past memories as Makima gone, Denji initially perceives her as just another annoying kid until he discovered that he was the reincarnation of Makima as Kishibe entrust him to take care of her. After hearing Pochita's wishes to fulfill Makima's dreams to feel empathy, Denji decides to mellow down towards her as he tried his best to realize her dream by embracing her and giving her tons of hugs.
|“||Me? Well, I guess you could say... I'm something like a fan of his. The hero of hell, Chainsaw Man. Tracking down any cries of help, he cuts down the devils causing those cries with his chainsaws and so he gets beaten down by the hands of so many devils and yet ripping and tearing apart even the devils that had sought his help. Again and again with a roar of his engine, he stands back up. Faced against such absurdity, some become enraged, some run away and some worship it. And one more thing that makes him the devil that devils fears the most: Devils eaten by the Chainsaw Man have their names cease to exist.||„|
|~ Makima explaining her admiration towards the Chainsaw Man|
However, for all the atrocities that she had committed towards Denji, it was then revealed that Makima herself had grown an infatuation towards the entity that was sealed in Denji's body, the Chainsaw Man, by admitting that she was a huge admirer towards the entity and it's power and tries her best to make the entity release itself from Denji's body. This is due to the fact that Makima herself is aware about the Chainsaw Man's powers on making the devils ceased to exists by just simply killing them as Makima is also aware about the human tragedies, fear and atrocities that were erased from human's mind after the Chainsaw Man devours the devils that personified their fear towards something.
The power that Chainsaw Man possesses resulted on Makima attempting to harness the Chainsaw Man's powers in order to bring a whole new better world for humanity and she doesn't really mind if she loses the battle against Chainsaw Man and getting eaten by it, claiming it was a great privilege to be eaten by the Chainsaw Man himself as she attempts to become a part of him. By the time Chapter 87 hits, it is shown that she become overjoyed to be reunited with the Chainsaw Man himself after the long battle that she had with him in the past alongside the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and the Weapon Devil while also developing a sadomasochistic tendencies towards him, seemingly happy as she was tied and will become dismembered by Chainsaw Man during the fight.
Makima can also be considered a low-key Yandere towards Chainsaw Man due to her obsession and persistence towards him trying to eat her while also experiencing a disappointment when Chainsaw Man refuses to eat her body despite being killed by him 26 times while suspecting her body isn't edible enough. Her low-key Yandere moments can also be shown when she attempts to attack Kobeni with the Spear of Longinus summoned with the power of Angel Devil itself because of the fact that Chainsaw Man hang around with Kobeni while also expressing a disappointment after seeing Chainsaw Man attempts to protect Kobeni from her attack which causes him to be gravely wounded.
Her yandere-ish attitude was further amplified in the final battle against Pochita who was disguised as Denji where she acts as a condescending person towards him as she views him to not fulfilling her criteria of what makes him the real Chainsaw Man in her books while trying to brutally rip his heart out. This Yandere behavior bites her in the back as Denji uses the moment where she was distracted admiring Chainsaw Man's heart in order to defeat her in the end.
In the end of the manga, it was then revealed that Pochita knew about Makima's own ambitions and goals to create a better world so that she could stand equal with other humans and form a familial relationships in the end due to her harsh upbringing with the Japanese government while seeing Pochita was the only entity that is on equal footing as her which in turn forming a rather toxic fanaticism towards him and trying to have a lovely life together by eating and sleeping together. However, in the end, Pochita ended up finding Makima's methods on building her ideal world to be wrong and as a result, he decided to have a philosophical chat with Makima about movies before going to battle and after Makima was defeated and reincarnated, Pochita then entrust Denji to fulfill Makima's goal by embracing her with hugs a lot so that her ideal world can be realized.
|“||Denji: Hey! Is she a bad person?
Aki: If that's what you think, then you should give up on her. You're a devil, so just be grateful you weren't killed. We're devil hunters after all.
Denji: Then is she a good person?
Aki: Of course she is! I owe her my life.
Denji: (Reminiscing about Makima hugging him) Man... I want to hug her one more time.
Aki: What'd you say!?
|~ Denji's conversation at Chapter 3 with Aki about Makima|
In the earliest chapters, it is stated that Aki had shown nothing but respect towards Makima, even saying that he would owe him his life to Makima because she is a benevolent person that also helps him through hardships after he became a Devil Hunter due to his family was tragically murdered by the Gun Devil. While initially was disappointed about his pairing with Denji, with the help of Makima, he ended up accepting it and become one of Denji's true companions. Her seeming kindness towards Aki was also shown where Makima ordered Denji and Power to visit him at the hospital after the fight against Katana Man and Akane for the first time or having Kurose or Tendo guiding Aki in order to gain a stronger devil for the future fights.
However, in the end, it was also revealed that Aki is also one of the victims of Makima's brainwashing as when the Angel Devil asked about why he loved Makima so much, it is stated that he didn't even remember a single thing. In the end, Aki himself was also ended up becoming a victim of Makima as he was nothing but a mere puppet for Makima to use and then throw it away when the deed is done, using his death so that she could guilt-trip Denji for all the seemingly horrific things he had done in the past. It was also revealed that Makima also lied towards Aki several times about the Gun Devil's whereabouts and the mission to defeat it until she revealed the truth towards Aki about the nature of the mission while also callously dismissing Aki's pleas on having the Division 4 withdrew from the mission slaying the Gun Devil for the sake of the safety for Denji and Power. By the time Chapter 89 hits, it was then revealed that Makima intentionally sacrifice Aki in order to broadcast the fight in the news in order to weaken Chainsaw Man by having the humans adoring him.
|“||Makima: So... What did you want to talk about?
Kishibe: The ambush on the special division... Public safety are no fools. You knew about it and let it happen didn't you?
Makima: I came under gunfire myself, you know.
Kishibe: Whatever inhuman deeds you do. Even if you kill my pet dogs. As long as you're on humanity side, I'll look the other way. Only as long as that's true.
Makima: All I want is to save many people from the devils as possible. It's been decided that if the mission succeeds, the existence of Division 4 will be aggressively reported on. Then Division 4 will have more freedom to operate and we can save even more people from the devils.
(Suddenly, Makima's stoic expression then changed into a grin on her face)
|~ Makima's conversation with the strongest devil hunter, Kishibe, as the latter notices something off about Makima.|
Despite their seemingly cordial relationship together as Kishibe was willing to act as Denji and Power's mentor to get them into shape with Makima's suggestion, Kishibe is one of the characters that realizes Makima is not what she seems to be. At one point after he finished training Denji and Power, Kishibe suspected that Makima is a liar when she attempts to justify herself trying to save innocent people from devils as he also suspected her being somewhat responsible of the massacre of the Devil Hunters and other inhuman things she had done in which Makima response with a smile on her face.
It was also revealed that Kishibe also had a plan to kill Makima for greater good by asking his former partner, Quanxi, to join his cause while knowing that Makima is listening to every conversation that he had. When Makima ruthlessly murders Quanxi and two of her girlfriends, Kishibe prefers not to open his blindfold to prevent himself witnessing the horror Makima has inflicted towards them. Despite this, Kishibe also prefers to not interfere with Makima's business so long as she is on the humanity side even if she commits several inhuman things that she will do to other people or animals.
During Chapter 83, Kishibe then ends up deciding to kill Makima for the greater good and then executes his plans by summoning the Hell Devil to no avail as she used Denji to defeat it. Even if Makima reveals her goal towards Kishibe that her goal is to make the world a better place for humanity by eradicating all of the devils, Kishibe still acts suspicious towards Makima, claiming that she tried to uses the Chainsaw Man powers to distort the world even further.
Although Kishibe dislikes Makima, he is aware that some of her nasty behavior come from nurture itself as it was revealed that she was raised by the government to be a ruthless, stern and no-nonsense woman in order to led the Public Safety Bureau to exterminate devils and brought a better world for humans. After discovering that the reincarnation of Makima is in China during his trip there with her past memories being erased, Kishibe decides to take her to Japan and entrust her to be nurtured by Denji so that another Makima won't resurface ever again.
When Santa Claus was first appeared, it is stated by Makima that she found them to be the most dangerous of all assassins that targeted Denji or his heard as if they managed to unleash their devils towards other Devil Hunters and Makima, it's all over for them as they were also going to inflict a potential large number of deaths. This was proven to be true as Santa Claus themselves turned innocent civilians into mindless attacking dolls to do their own bidding while also revealing themselves that they had made contract with a lot of devil including the formidable primal devil, Darkness Devil while also transporting several people in the department store into hell. As Santa Claus reveals her true identity, it was revealed that she holds a deep seed hatred towards Makima as she attempts to murder her which resulted on Santa Claus dealing with the Darkness Devil to gain ultimate power. It was revealed that both Santa Claus and Makima are both archenemies and are competing towards an unknown goal.
Other Devil Hunters
Most of the Devil Hunters work for Makima under respect and fear. The latter personality can be shown when some of the Devil Hunters in Kyoto Division, Kurose and Tendo, were absolutely terrified and nervous when it comes to talking with Makima herself or the former devil hunter turned into mercenary for the Gun Devil, Akane Sawatari, expresses her fear with Makima and her powers after seeing Makima brutally murdered her accomplices with her own devilish powers and even warning his other accomplice, Katana Man, as there is no way for them to run against Makima.
She does however, shows a bit of a soft spot towards one of the Devil Hunters, Madoka, who ended up quitting after surviving the Devil Hunter massacre that were committed by the Gun Devil followers by giving him a paycheck when he quits the job. However, at the same time, she also shows a bit of ruthlessness towards the former devil hunter turned mercenary who ended up targeting Denji, Quanxi, as she decapitates both Quanxi and her girlfriend mercilessly despite her attempt to surrender and asks Makima to spare her girlfriends so that they could have better lives which resulted on Kishibe having no choice but to blindfold himself to prevent seeing the horror Makima will inflicts.
In later chapters however, it was then revealed that all of the devil hunters were revealed to be her pawns to be used to further her own plans at the end such as intentionally arranging the fight against Aki and Denji in order to make the humanity support for Chainsaw Man even stronger than before as an attempt to weaken him. In addition, she has no hesitations to dispose everyone who gets in her way such as Kobeni as she found out that Kobeni hung around with Chainsaw Man which resulted on her attempting to attack Kobeni with the Spear of Longinus she had summoned before Chainsaw Man attempts to protect her and resulted on him gravely wounded, much to Makima's disappointment. Her personality seeing them as nothing but thing to dispose was shown during the final battle as she uses their bodies in order to defend herself against Chainsaw Man attacks and regenerate her bodies.
Japanese Government or Bureau Members
|“||I don't want to meet with the Kyoto Bigwigs. They're all scary. I'd rather eat my meals in a relaxed mood. Those drinks yesterday were delicious||„|
|~ Makima in Chapter 22 expressing a displeasure on working with some members of the government|
In the earlier chapters of the manga, it is shown that Makima was working with the upper echelons of the bureau which is revealed to be the Japanese government by reporting the mission for hunting the Gun Devil and it's setbacks such as the intense relations between the other countries and Japan in order to gain more fragment to be stored by the Government. Later chapters shows that she is dedicated to her mission to make Japan the most powerful country on Earth by gaining several gun devil fragments even if she's going to wage war against the other countrie. At one point, she also reported the incident regarding Katana Man and Akane Sawatari and the members of the Yakuza that were involved in the incident.
In later chapters, it is shown that her relationship between the government were much more deeper than that as it was revealed that Makima made a contract with the Japanese Prime Minister as both of them had an intertwined agenda with each other: Become humanity's savior by using the Chainsaw Man's powers in order to eradicate all of the devil from the existence of the human world which would get rid of all of the fear, tragedies or atrocities that plagued humanity for all the entirety of it's history. However, due to the contract that Prime Minister had made, if Makima was attacked, the Japanese civilians will going to be inflicted by illness or having their death dismissed as nothing but accidents.
Despite their professional relationships, Makima is shown intensely dislikes them. This was justified due to her upbringing by the Japanese government to become a ruthless, cold and no-nonsense woman to become the leader of the Public Safety Bureau in order to exterminate all of the devils in the world and bring the better world for humans to live. This resulted on Makima trying to make a world where she is equal with other people and yearning something like a familial relationship while also developing a rather toxic obsession towards Chainsaw Man himself. Her dislike towards the members of the Japanese government or the bureau can be traced back in Chapter 22 where Makima expresses her displeasure meeting with the Kyoto Bigwigs as she perceives them as scary while wanting to eat her food peacefully.
Most of the other devils in the manga either feared her or respected her as this was revealed that some of the devils managed to work with her after they were managed to be captured by Makima were either doing this on their own volition such as Power who attempts to save her cat or was forced to work cdue to the brainwashing that she inflicts towards them. This is because Makima is their antithesis in terms of personality with Makima emphasizing her lawful evil personality with the devil mostly tends to be chaotic evil. However, at the same time, she also holds a grudge towards them and has the intentions to get rid of the bigger Devils such as Death, Famine and War by using the Chainsaw Man in order to bring a better world for its people and fulfill the request of the Japanese Prime Minister. To further her own goals, she also has no hesitation to kill other devils or brainwash other devils to do her bidding.
Her ruthlessness on killing other devils to further her own plans was best shown when she mercilessly kills Power with her psychic gun powers who tries to brought a birthday cake for Denji to Makima's apartment in order to celebrate his birthday in order to make Denji suffer and experiencing a BSOD as she attempts to destroy Denji's life just to summon Chainsaw Man itself.
Her brainwashing abilities towards a devil was best shown towards the Angel Devil where she ordered him to massacre the people from the village that he resides while also attempting to seal the memories for good to make him easier to control and when the Angel Devil manages to regain his memories, Makima then brainwashes him as a last resort for damage control purposes. Another example of how she manages to brainwash other people is when she manages to revive Reze and Quanxi and then brainwashes them to join her side, the same can be said of the still alive Katana Man as they were forced to join Makima's new division alongside other hybrid devils just to defeat Chainsaw Man. This is due to the fact that Makima's brainwashing abilities works towards the creatures that she considered beneath her.
At one point, it is also revealed that she is aware about the Devils whose name are based on the hierarchy of Biblical Angels as she used them to protect Denji as they waited for the Day of Rebirth. In the end, if some of the Devils decided to quit or going against her, she has no hesitation to treat them like other devils by murdering them in the end.
|“||I like humans. In the same way that humans are so fond of dogs. They're loyal, easily handled, clever and stupid. Just watching them is fun. And also, they love me||„|
|~ Makima's revealing her true relationship on humanity|
Makima views herself as a kindhearted savior towards humanity, even telling Kishibe that all of the bad deeds that she had done was on the best interests for the humanity itself as she attempts to save humans from the devils that attempts to attack them which rings true despite Kishibe viewing her as a liar due to the events of Chapter 84 as her goal were intertwined by the Japanese Prime Minister to whom she made a contract with as she attempts to defeat the Chainsaw Man in order to harness his power to eradicate all of the devils from the existence of the human world which would get rid of all of the fear, tragedies or atrocities that plagued humanity for all the entirety of it's history.
However, it was revealed that Makima also holds a rather sociopathic tendencies in terms of her relationship with humanity as it was revealed during Chapter 89 that she views her love with humans as similar as humans fondness for dogs, ever perceiving them as one because of their loyal, easily handled, clever and stupid behavior which amuses Makima. In addition, Makima also basks in the humanity's adoration and praises of her as if she was a goddess which made her happy.
At the same time however, Makima's goal on building a better world for the humans is still genuine because of the fact that she wants to build a world where she is equal with others and at the very least, wanting to experience a familial bond towards other people due to her rather harsh upbringing from the Japanese government itself who never teach her love and compassion in the first place and molds her into a monster that she is today. Although her goal is well-intentioned, in the end, she was feared by the humanity itself ever since the earliest history of mankind due to her concept devil embodying the loss of free-will.
List of Victims
|List of the Unfortunate Souls that Meet their End Thanks to Makima|
- Ironically, before her true color was revealed, Makima was originally marketed and advertised as the main heroine of Chainsaw Man.
- Due to her actions in Chapter 81-82, Makima cemented herself as one of the most evil villains ever graced in Shonen Jump history to the point that even most of the people comparing her to the likes of Sōsuke Aizen from Bleach or Griffith from Berserk. Her actions are so awful and nerve-wrecking to the point that the author of Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish, Mengo Yokoyari, who is a fan of Chainsaw Man, being shocked by her heinous deeds so much she took a break temporarily from social media following Power's demise.
- Makima is the first character to successfully kill two of the other three main characters, in this case, she is the one responisble for the death of Aki in Chapter 79 due to the indirect murder from Denji and Power in Chapter 81.
- During Chapter 61, as Kishibe and Quanxi were having a nice chat together, Kishibe then tells Quanxi that "Makima is Listening". This alludes to the quote from the George Orwell's novel, 1984: "Big Brother is Watching You!". Big Brother himself is the main antagonist of said novel and is described as a powerful figure from Oceania who constantly surveyed his population so that he could easily control them into submission and if people decided to rebel, a very harsh punishment will surely be inflicted towards them. Big Brother's traits literally fits Makima's true nature as she is revealed to be the Control Devil representing the humanity's fear of being controlled by other governments as Makima would bring the worst kind of peace almost like Orwellian Dystopia in the end.
- Makima was ranked at the second of all ten characters in Chainsaw Man's popularity poll with 27.244 votes, only to be beaten by Power in the end with 35.268 votes.
- Makima's name herself in Kanji is 牧間 which can also be read as a play on the word 人間/human or 牧人/shepherd. The word "Human" itself can be applied on Makima's appearance being the most human of all the devils and being the most sketchy and inhuman of all the characters as her behavior contradicts itself of what it means to be a human because even the devils and other humans were terrified of her while the word "Shepherd" befits her title as the Control Devil who will control other people or devils for her own ends.
- According to this twitter post, it is heavily implied that the creator of Chainsaw Man, Tatsuki Fujimoto, has a fetish towards oppressive and unreasonable woman as at one point, he become overjoyed towards the woman he encountered in the university who overturned his bike and laughed at him. This possibly explain Makima's oppressive actions towards Denji in the series which reduced him into nothing but a broken trainwreck.
- There are several foreshadowing moments especially the sketchy attitude she had committed that shows that Makima isn't what she seems to be:
- Her character design itself possesses a strange golden eyes that almost looks like a cat with swirly pupils accompanied by it. This is due to the fact that swirl itself are indicated as a form of shape that were usually uses to hypnotize other people, this correlates with her personality as a manipulative control freak who uses her hypnotizing powers or good looks in order to get what she wants.
- In Chapter 1, after Denji met Makima for the first time, Makima then attempts to made Denji as a pet to be feed on otherwise he would be killed if Denji didn't choose that option. In addition, she also manage to recover Denji to become his normal self by just hugging him.
- In Chapter 2, Makima has no hesitation to use euthanasia to Denji if he rebelled against Makima while in the next Chapter, she also has no hesitation to treat Denji like other devils if he rebelled or quit.
- In Chapter 26, she then miraculously revives herself even after being killed by her assailants in the train while also brutally murdered them mercilessly.
- In Chapter 32, Kishibe suspected that Makima is not what she seems as he suspected that she is heavily implied being involved with the massacre of other Devil Hunter and when suspecting Makima is a liar, she only give an unsettling grin on her face.
- In Chapter 33, she does several morally ambiguous behavior despite her well intentions such as gouging the eye out of the Yakuza members's loved ones to be used as a bribe so that she could coerce the Yakuza to cooperate while brutally injured a Yakuza who attacks her.
- In Chapter 52, she uses rats to teleport to the location where Reze stands in order to kill Reze after Reze decides to form a bond with Denji.
- In Chapter 61, it was revealed that Kishibe is aware that Makima is listening to his and Quanxi's conversation while expressing his intentions towards Quanxi that he will kill Makima as he asks Quanxi for help.
- In Chapter 66, Makima is able to wound the Darkness Devil with ease by just pointing a finger at it.
- In Chapter 67, it was revealed that according to Yoshida during his conversation with Kishibe, Santa Claus seems to hold a rivalry towards Makima as they compete towards an unknown goal while also suspecting that protecting Denji was never her goal in the first place. At the same time, it was also revealed that Makima is able to use lowlife forms to listen to other people's conversation.
- In Chapter 70, instead of hearing Quanxi's request to spare her girlfriends as she attempt to surrender gracefully, Makima decides to decapitate all of them mercilessly, leaving only a sick grin on her face.
- It is also possible that the seven dogs that she had in Chapter 80 foreshadows the fact that she controls 7 hybrids to defeat Chainsaw Man around Chapter 86 onwards. This is due to the fact that Makima had 3 white dogs and 4 black dogs in her apartment which parallels the hybrids around Chapter 86 as most of them have a black hair (Katana Man, The Sword Devil, Reze and the Flamethrower devil) and the rest has white hair such as Quanxi, the Whip Devil and the Spear Devil.
- In Chapter 71 cover, Makima herself was hugged by Denji in his Chainsaw Man form which alludes to the certain panel in Chapter 83 where she asks Chainsaw Man for help to revive her and defeat her enemies after Makima was killed by the SWAT Team sent by Kishibe.
- In one of the panels of Chapter 33, it is shown that around 5-6 men were standing behind Makima as she sat on the sofa meeting with other Yakuza. The panel itself made an allusion towards one of the most famous memes in the internet, "Piper Perri Surrounded", which is a meme that depicts a woman named Piper Perri sitting calmly in the sofa before being assaulted by 5 men and the meme itself was popular due to how it depicted Piper Perri as being willfully ignorant towards other series of problems which reflects Makima's fearlessness towards the other Yakuza members and has no hesitation to threaten them to comply in order to fulfill her mission.
- In addition to all foreshadowing above, Makima's personality can be compared to Santa Claus from the same series due to the latter manipulative relationship with Tolka which would serve as a foreshadowing for Makima as both of them uses several men and manipulate their psyche in order to get what they wants.
- There are several biblical references and allusions surrounding Makima and the world of Chainsaw Man such as:
- In Chapter 76, it is shown in one of the panels that Makima was standing at the sea with other six people, especially the dead ones and they are none other than Prinz the Spider Devil, Akane Sawatari, Aki Hayakawa, Angel Devil, Yutaro Kurose, and Michiko Tendo (Deceased). The panel itself reflects the biblical text regarding Revelation 13:1-10 about a vision regarding the beast emerging from the sea, Therion. According to the texts, Therion itself is described with secen heads, ten crowns on its horns and resembled a leopard, but had feet like those of a bear and a mouth like that of a lion. The Beast itself attempts to assert its authority for fourty-two months to other tribes, people, language and nation to wage war against god's holy people in order to conquer them. The story of the Beast befits the nature of Makima as the control devil and her sitting on the seas in order to combat the Gun Devil who was contracted by the American president in order to liberate themselves from her grasp.
- In Chapter 81, it is shown that Makima herself put a painting of Lucifer from Paradise Lost being banished from heaven. Paradise Lost is a poem by John Milton that retells the third Chapter of Genesis and the war between Satan and Angels while also mostly told the Fall of Men while they attempted to reconcile free will with God's Omnipotence. The picture itself could heavily imply that Makima is revealed to be the leader of all devils, Lucifer, all along.
- In Chapter 83, as both Denji and Makima prepares to go somewhere else, Makima then introduced Denji towards the demons that she brainwashed just to protect Denji as their names were revealed to be based on the hierarchy of the biblical angels: Seraphim, Cherubim (Beam) and Galgalim from the First Sphere; Dominion, Virtue and Power from the Second Sphere; Principalities (Prinz) and Angel from the Third Sphere. Most of the accurately biblical angels are depicted as lovecraftian eldritch creatures such as Seraphim whose depicted as having a six wings with two of them used for flying, two of them for covering its face and two of them for covering its feet befitting the bug theme surrounding the devil with the aforementioned name, Galgalim whose depicted as interlocking gold wheels with eyes surrounding it befitting the Violence Devil who has 4 eyes and Cherubim whose depicted as human-animal hybrid befitting Beam's theme which correlates with the eldritch devils appeared in the manga.
- In Chapter 89, Makima then summons a holy spear that has the usage of one thousand years with the help of the men she enslaved and Angel Devil to spitefully attacks Kobeni. The Holy Spear itself can be described as the Spear of Longinus that is mentioned in Gospel of John (19:31-37) that was used by the Romans to execute Jesus by pierced him on the side to make sure he was dead when he was crucified as a punishment. This also correlates with Chainsaw Man's messianic figure towards the humans during the same chapter Makima attempts to attack Kobeni as he was weakened by the humanity's praise of him while also being accidentally pierced as a punishment which causes him to be defeated by Makima.
- In Chapter 94, as Makima wounded herself in order to revive Denji, it could be interpreted that her wound which leaves a hole in her hand as its parallels Jesus hands after being crucified. The hole in Jesus's hands are called Stigmata which is the wounded marks of Jesus after he was wounded and sometimes were associated with Roman Catholicism religion and most of the time, the Stigmatics around 80% tends to be women which makes sense in context.
- It is also possible that Makima herself is a member of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse as stated by this fact:
- During Chapter 84, Makima herself mentions on getting rid of devils such as War, Death and Famine in order to bring world peace. War, Death and Famine are the names that the three Horsemen of Apocalypse holds alongside Conquest in the biblical theology.
- Her involvement in the battle against Chainsaw Man during Chapter 87 which also involved the members of the Horsemen of Apocalypse.
- Her name itself as the moniker of "Control Devil" can be translated as Conquest which is one of the members of the Horsemen of Apocalypse who is the rider of the white horse with a crown that was given to him and had a bow. This can be alluded that Makima herself is the Conquest Horsemen due to the fact that Conquest itself can be interpreted as either Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, the Antichrist or the Roman Empire Prosperity. Makima herself holds a parallel towards Conquest Horsemen due to her control like power and manipulation, her charisma and the fact that she also possess a halo of brain matter in Chapter 76 that looks like a crown. It could be possible that Makima's title as a conquest also hold something sinister: An antichrist of the manga due to the fact that she possessed the painting of Lucifer falling from heaven in Paradise Lost.
- In Chapter 89, there is a scene where Makima having her chains came out from near the part of her womb enslaving several men and Angel Devil himself. The scene can be considered an allegory of domineering mother who can control her own child even after they reach their adulthood. However, several people could interpret this scene as Makima having her chains coming out from her clitoris which can be interpreted as an allegory of lust itself as several men ended up being attracted by beautiful and attractive women with their strong temptations to the point that the men themselves threw their own dignity and soul as they were willingly enslaved themselves by the beautiful women that they were attracted to, even committing several horrific deeds to impress the women that they had an infatuation with as they wanted to have sex with them as a price of return. Not even angelic people escapes from the temptation of the beautiful woman itself.
- During Chapter 93, when Denji asks Makima if there will be bad movies in her ideal utopian world, she then answers to Denji that she will eradicate any bad movies in her world as she believes world would be better if bad movies cease to exists which causes Denji having no hesitations to kill her. This alludes to her and Denji's date in movie theater around Chapter 39 when they talk about good and bad movies while also can be interpreted about the philosophical talk about how life works as without anything bad that balanced the good, life itself would become a lot more boring and it will destroy anything that makes human special. It can also be interpreted as Denji calling out Makima using her so-called well-intentioned goals just to fulfill her selfish desires.
- It is stated by Fujimoto himself that Chainsaw Man is heavily inspired by FLCL to the point he call itself the evil version of it. This in turn, making Makima's character being inspired by FLCL's true antagonist, Haruko Haruhara as both of them shares several of similarities with each other with them being a manipulative person that has no hesitation to manipulate both of the protagonist in order to further their own selfish goals even by it means on hurting, murdering or betraying them. In addition to all of this, both of them are also had a fanatical relationship towards the entity that was sealed in the protagonist's body and plans to harness their powers with Haruko being the Pirate King Atomsk and Makima being the Chainsaw Man not just out of power gain but also madly in love with them.
- Her defeat in Chapter 96 and her Karmic Fate is heavily foreshadowed by these signs:
- Chainsaw Man's first cover for Shonen Jump: It depicted as Denji and Pochita in a seemingly evil grin while holding a Chainsaw while Makima's startled reflection was seen in the Chainsaw. Fast forward to Chapter 96, she was then defeated by Denji with the same pose minus Pochita being on Denji's side as Denji also wearing a suit.
- One of Makima's lines in Chapter 1 where after she seemingly rescues Denji, she promises Denji to give him food everyday if he becomes her obedient lap dog. This took a dark turn where bunch of Makima's meats ended up being perserved by Denji in the fridge so that he could ate them for everyday.
- Chapter 12 during Denji and Makima's conversation about sensual things that feels better if Denji knew his partner well where Makima bites Denji's finger to memorize it was her. Paralleled in Chapter 96 where Denji still laments that he still likes her as he ate her despite all of the things she had done to him.
- Makima's desire to be eaten by Chainsaw Man so that she could become one and being erased from existence for the sake of better world which alludes to the part where Denji wants to become one with her in order to carry the burden of her sins.
- Denji's wishes to eat a huge steak in Chapter 93 as this parallels Chapter 96 where Denji ate Makima as Ginger-Fried Meat and Onions with her remains.
- Fujimoto's interest with food such as Parfait in the mangaka comments of the week of Shonen Jump which reflects Denji eating Makima in the end of Chapter 96.
- Makima's defeat and Chainsaw Man as a whole alludes to Harlan Ellison's story and its film adaptation of the same name, "A Boy and His Dog" which tells the story about Vic and his telepathic dog, Blood, as they traveled through the wastelands of post nuclear war America as Vic is revealed to be a person who has no parents, educations or morality as the only thing that Vic cared are food and sex while attempting to avoid mutants and fiends along the way which reflects Denji and Pochita relationships really well. In the movie, Vic also encountered with a girl named Quilla June Holmes, revealed to be a manipulative, scheming femme fatale who wants to gain ultimate power that reflects Makima's personality as well. Towards the end of the movie, as Quilla and Vic discovered Blood starving near death whilst Quilla pleads Vic to abandon Blood as she seemingly proclaims her love towards him. This resulted on Vic decided to pledge his loyalty towards Blood as he kills her offscreen as Vic feeds the meat of Quilla towards Blood, reflecting the scene where after Denji defeats Makima whom she views as nothing but a dog and an obstacle for her obsession with PPochita, he decided to ate her as a delicious steak.
- According to Fujimoto himself in this interview, it is stated that Makima symbolizes domination as she is the first character in Chainsaw Man he had a solid image on both inside and outside. At the same time, it is also stated by Fujimoto that she was based on Benten from The Eccentric Family novel due to the fact that she is an unfathomable being higher than humans but had several tragic layers underneath her femme-fatale personality as the people that she perceive as lower life than her can't be there to comfort her.
- In the same interview by Fujimoto regarding Makima, the "ki" part of her name means tree and as Chainsaw were used to cut trees, one can cut the "Ki" part of her name and it will become "Mama" as a result. This makes sense in context as Denji is portrayed as a child who tries to search maternal figure that is absent from his life and Makima is the person who manages to show him maternal relationships due to her motherly nature despite it was all revealed to be a ruse in the end.
- According to this tweet, Fujimoto--as Nagayama Koharu in twitter--stated that the final battle against Makima is heavily inspired by the battle between Koyomi Araragi and Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade or better known as Shinobu Oshino in Kizumonogatari III where both Araragi and Kiss-shot send several brutal beatdowns towards each other during the fight.
- According to this tweet, during Fujimoto's conversation with his editor, Shihei Rin, in the Jump Festa festival, it is stated by Fujimoto that Makima is the hardest character to draw because Fujimoto claimed to be a messy artist as he tried his best to draw Makima beautifully with extreme care being put on to the drawing.
- Makima's reincarnation, Nayuta, is heavily inspired on one of the characters from Fujimoto's previous work, the titular character of his oneshot, Yogen No Nayuta, as both has nearly similar design. The oneshot itself tells the story about a child who only can say evil things as she couldn't be comprehended by regular humans as she was destined to bring the end of the world. The similarities between Yogen no Nayuta and Chainsaw Man can not only be traced with the character designs, but also how both of the protagonist ends up taking care of the characters in question at the end of the day.