The Makuta are the overall main antagonists that appeared in the entire BIONICLE series. These species were once originally created to enforce peace and stability in the Matoran Universe by creating the Rahi to populate the universe and and eliminating threats. However, they went rogue after being lusted for power and began an oppressive and genocidal campaign that spanned the entire storyline.
There are also several Makuta who were the members of the Brotherhood of Makuta as they were tasked of maintaining the balance of the universe with Miserix who was appointed as their leader, though he was usurped and overthrew by Makuta Teridax, who became the Brotherhood's leader.
The Makuta species were created by the Great Spirit on the island in the far south of the Matoran Universe. They were then tasked of populating the universe by creating Rahi and maintaining peace and order by protecting the Matoran from various threats. They also have the ability to create Rahkshi by using the Kraata.
However, they became corrupted when the Great Spirit was given the praise by both the Matoran and Toa as they decided to overthrow him and take over the universe themselves, with the help of Makuta Teridax.
When the Makuta eventually shunned their inner lights, they became oppressive, malevolent and power-hungry as they began their campaign of darkness and chaos. Because of their intelligence, they also have the ability to manipulate and deceive other beings to
In the alternate universe where Mata Nui died when Matoro failed to revive him, the Makuta attempted to migrate to the island of Mata Nui as the other beings were migrating towards the island, only to be stopped by Takanuva and the Order of Mata Nui and they were forced back underground.
When Teridax gained control of Icarax's body, he proceed to absorb all the Makuta into his essence, transforming himself into the mutated monstrosity. When Teridax absorbed Matoro into his essence, he have his will overpowered by Matoro's and was destroyed along with the other Makuta as well.
In the alternate universe where Tuyet formed the Toa Empire and ruled the universe, the Makuta were hunted and killed by the Toa Empire, leaving Teridax, Krika and Kojol the only survivors.
Powers and Abilities
- Shadow Element: The Makuta wielded the element of Shadow, which was their primary power. They can use their power at first as they can channel their Shadow element with the use of their Kanohi and weapons and even shoot out the dark blast and fireballs of darkness. They also have the ability to create the Shadow Hands that allowed to capture their enemies and absorbed them to grow more powerful.
- Intelligence: The Makuta also possessed the genius-level intelligence as they can used their intelligence to their advantage by manipulating and deceiving the other beings in order to use them for their schemes.
- There were one-hundred Makuta in the story, with eighty-five of them male and fifteen female.
- The word Makuta was derived of "Makutu", a Maori word which means "evil knowledge" or "witchcraft".
- When exposed to the Pit Mutagen, the Makuta are locked in their forms and lose access to some of their Kraata powers.
- As compared to the Toa and the Matoran who are humanoid in appearance, the Makuta are monstrous as their appearances are based on various animals, demons, alien life-forms and mythological creatures.
- Most Makuta did not adhere to a single weapon and use it to exclusion of all else; instead, most possessed armories, and rotated their weapons on a regular basis.
- As the Makuta were composed of Antidermis, they could not be revived in the Red Star.
- So far, Miserix and the alternate Teridax are the two remaining Makuta alive.