This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||Little Toa, you have not yet begun to see even the barest outlines of my plans. I have schemes within schemes that would boggle your feeble mind. You may counter one, but there are a thousand more of which you know nothing. Even my...setbacks...are planned for, and so I shall win in the end.||„|
|~ Teridax on his own manipulation skills.|
|“||Ah, the brave Toa of Fire... now, no more than a match waiting to be extinguished beneath my heel. The plan is finished, Toa! The game is over. And with Mata Nui forever gone, will you fight the air you breathe, Toa? The ground that you walked on? Understand, I no longer need to battle you in hopes of ruling the universe. I AM THE UNIVERSE!||„|
|~ Makuta Teridax taunting Toa Tahu after successfully taking over the Matoran Universe.|
|“||The earth shudders, my brother. The seventh Toa has begun its approach. Again the prophecies of the Matoran oppose my will. Must i release those who should never see the light of day? I must preserve your slumber. Their Unity will be poisoned. Their duty will be broken. Their Destiny I must shatter. Go, my sons, use the shadows and keep my brother asleep.||„|
|~ Makuta Teridax as he unleashes Guurahk, Lerahk and Panrahk.|
Makuta Teridax, or better known simply as The Makuta, Makuta, or Teridax, is the main antagonist of the BIONICLE series. He was the evil leader of the Brotherhood of Makuta, the brother of Mata Nui, and the once-trusted lieutenant of Makuta Miserix. However, his jealousy towards Mata Nui drove him to overthrow the Great Spirit and rule the Matoran, the people he once swore to protect. He is also responsible for masterminding most of the story's events throughout the series and orchestrating everything behind the scenes to achieve his ultimate goal of overthrowing the Great Spirit and taking over the Matoran Universe.
In the Miramax trilogy, he was voiced by Lee Tockar, who also played Frieza in the Ocean Group's English dubbed version of Dragon Ball Kai, Ravage in Beast Wars, and M.O.D.O.K. in Iron Man: Armoured Adventures. In Bionicle: The Game, Teridax was voiced by Sean Schemmel, who also voiced Conrad in Berserk, Black Doom in Shadow the Hedgehog, Paradox in Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D Bonds Beyond Time, Goku Black in Funimation's dub of Dragon Ball Super, and Grings Kodai in the English dubbed version of Pokémon: Zoroark, Master of Illusions.
|“||The people of the world are builders. But look into their hearts, and you will find they also have the power to destroy. I am that power. I am destruction. And I WILL destroy you.||„|
|~ Makuta Teridax to the Toa Mata.|
Teridax was outright obsessed with absolute power, and in his efforts of obtaining it for himself, made him into the evil leader he is today. Teridax proved to be a fearsome, treacherous and psychopathic narcissist, as he was willing to commit many atrocities with a lack of remorse and empathy. Teridax was also very manipulative, traitorous and deceptive, as he deceived other beings into helping his cause and getting what he wanted, always claiming that his actions were for the universe's good, which he demonstrated by convincing his fellow Makuta to join his cause. This personality stems from his and jealousy and resentement towards Mata Nui and the Toa in that they received all the praise to protect the universe and Makuta did not receive any of these. Over time, these emotions worsened in Teridax until he became a sociopath and identified himself as the living embodiment of destruction, deserving to take control of creation and remake it in his own image.
At first, Teridax appeared to be very polite and charismatic towards other beings, but this façade hid his real personality as he was an egocentric, cruel, and ruthless megalomaniac, who treated his allies and enemies alike as pawns to be manipulated and disposed of when they outlived their usefulness. He even went so far at betray others and leave them for dead upon helping him further his goals. Teridax's unique and extraordinary intellect allowed him to study and analyze every possibility that would occur when he created his plan and managed to fit together the victories of his enemies, the ambitions, his allies and even his setbacks into a complex project that lasted for millenia and never seemed to fail.
Powers and Abilities
|“||But I know the Makuta is here now, in these burnt trees, and in the dead soil. All of these things were destroyed by the Makuta, but he never left them. That is how he becomes strong. That is what the Makuta does. He destroys things.||„|
|~ Kapura talks about Makuta Teridax.|
- Shadow Element: Like all Makuta, Teridax was able to manipulate the element of Shadow for an untold number of applications, from enshrouding his enemies in pitch blackness to unleashing bolts of shadow energy, and even projecting his own spirit through shadows. This could also be shaped into the form of a giant and ethereal hand, which Makuta could use to capture enemies, absorbing them into his essence and becoming more powerful as a result.
- Master Manipulation: Being the most powerful being in the universe, Teridax's weapon of choice is his extraordinary manipulation skills. He was the mastermind of a millenia-long complex project known only as "The Plan" to overthrow the Great Spirit of Mata Nui, with almost everyone in the entire Bionicle universe as his unknowing pawns. Almost every major event in the series was part of this plan, including any defeats Teridax suffered along the way, since he had backup schemes to counter anything the heroes did to stop him. All of Teridax's manipulation skills and scheming finally resulted in his successful takeover of Mata Nui's body itself.
- Kanohi Kraahkan: This is the Great Kanohi that Teridax wore just before his reign. It gave him the ability to control darkness and shadows, in addition to as well as filling the hearts of other beings with fear and anger. After his battle with Takanuva, he abandoned the mask along with his body. The mask was eventually destroyed when Icarax was killed in the final battle with Toa Ignika.
- Shapeshifting: Like the rest of his race, Makuta is able to assume the form of any being or creature he desires, be it a frail Turaga, a savage beast or a swirling void of severed limbs. However, a massive amount of energy was normally necessary to change forms.
- Kraata Powers: Like all Makuta, Teridax has the ability to channel through 42 Kraata powers.
- The Staff of Darkness: He wields a magical staff that harnesses the power of darkness.
- Antidermis: Like all Makuta due to their evolution, Teridax evolved into an energy-based being comprised of Antidermis, housed in protosteel armor. Individuals exposed to this substance became highly suggestible, which the thuggish Piraka used to their advantage when enslaving the Matoran of Voya Nui. Ironically, the gang were unaware that they themselves were being manipulated themselves by Teridax's essence. However, Teridax could die if his Antidermis form dissipated without anything to contain it.
- Despite being irredeemably evil, Teridax is stated to be Greg Farshtey's favorite character to write about.
- Most beings in the Matoran Universe referred to him as "The Makuta", although he was more formally known as The Makuta of Metru Nui until his original name was revealed in the 2008 storyline - even then, he was rarely referred to by the name, except by fellow Makuta and a handful of others.
- According to Greg Farshtey, Teridax was to take over the Great Spirit Robot and Mata Nui would take over another Robot, but the Makuta's evil intentions caused him to take over the robot early and misuse it.
- In the short-lived Bionicle G2 reboot Makuta the Mask Hoarder was based on him.
- Teridax also happened to be voiced by the late Daisuke Gori in the Miramax trilogy's Japanese dubbed version, who also voiced various villains such as; Heihachi Mishima from Tekken, Soundwave from Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen in his final antagonistic role and King Cold from Dragon Ball Z.
- In the Bionicle movies, Makuta's design is different to both his toy versions and is a dark crimson red instead of the black coloration.