- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Makuta from the reboot series. The orignal version can be found here: Makuta Teridax.
Makuta, also known as The Mask Hoarder is the main antagonist in the 2015 reboot of the BIONICLE series alongside Umarak, as well as the Bigger Bad of Season 1.
He was one of the two skilled Mask-Makers of Okoto, working alongside his brother Ekimu to produce Masks of Power for the villagers. However, his jealousy drove him to betray his brother, and seek to rule the island. While the Makuta never appeared directly in the 2015 storyline except in the very beginning, he eventually took the role of the major antagonist and was also revealed to be the master of Kulta and the Skull Army. He was based on his G1 counterpart Makuta Teridax.
He was voiced by William Jordan in BIONICLE: The Journey to One.
Makuta began life as an ambitious mask-maker alongside his brother Ekimu, forging great Masks of Power for the villagers of the island. However, Makuta felt overshadowed by his brother, for Ekimu's works received more praise from the villagers than his own. Over time, the seed of jealousy grew within him, making him increasingly bitter.
Finally, Makuta snapped, and decided to break the sacred laws of Okoto by combining all six elements into a single mask. When he presented this mask onning this Mask of Ultimate Power, he became twisted and corrupted by, and sought to rule all of Okoto. In desperation, Ekimu was forced to fight his brother, and used his hammer to strike the mask from Makuta's face. The force of the blow shattered the mask, and the resulting shockwave sent Ekimu into a coma, while Makuta mysteriously disappeared.
However even in another life, the Mask of Ultimate Power still resounded across the island,with it's power, Makuta (now in a dark cloud form) managed to bring back from the death soldiers and champions of the ruined Okoto's ancient citadel and corrupting their appearance until being a demonic undead army.Makuta had controll of other rahis of the land,such as skull spiders.
His new plan was to send the skull spiders to the places were the elemental masks were resting,and rise the Skull Army from Okoto in order to steal the Mask of Creation,in both plans Makuta's pawns were defeated by the Elemental Heroes alongside Ekimu.
- Some fans believe that this Makuta's new color schemes looked exactly the same as Teridax's. In some cases, a few fans referred him as the "new Teridax", honored after the original Teridax. However Despite his status as the Makuta, he does not have a relationship with the Brotherhood of Makuta.
- In the previous Bionicle Universe, the Makuta was not a name but a application to the graced species and guardians who became power-hungry and corrupted. Instead in this universe, it is a name.
- Makuta the Mask Hoarder was originally announced to be the main antagonist of the 2017 storyline due to the story run in three years. However due to the decision of having BIONICLE discontinued in 2017, he was promptly banished into the Dark Zone at the end of the season.
- Also, he was supposed to come out as the set for 2017 but due to the series' discontinuation, his set was never released after that. However according to LEGO, he can still built by using the parts of the following sets of Lord of Skull Spider, Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder, Ikir, Creature of Fire, Tahu, Uniter of Fire, Onua, Uniter of Earth, Umarak the Hunter and Umarak the Destroyer.
- Makuta the Mask Hoarder was also similar to Makuta Teridax in the original series as both of them are power-hungry, were envious of their brothers (Ekimu and Mata Nui) and sought to rule the universe.
- However, he was not as pure evil as Teridax.