|“||Aurora. There is evil in this world. And I cannot keep you from it.||„|
|~ Maleficent to Aurora.|
|“||This curse will last to the end of time! No power on earth can change it!||„|
Maleficent is the titluar main protagonist villain and anti-heroine of the 2014 live-action film of the same name.
In contrast to the version of the character seen in the original Sleeping Beauty film, this version of Maleficent is depicted as more tragic and sympathetic, having once been an innocent and good-hearted individual who became cruel as a result of the circumstances and eventually redeemed herself after her sharing a parental bond with Aurora.
A beautiful, pure-hearted young woman, Maleficent has an idyllic life growing up in a peaceable forest kingdom, until one day when an invading army threatens the harmony of the land. Maleficent rises to be the land’s fiercest protector, but she ultimately suffers a ruthless betrayal—an act that begins to turn her pure heart to stone. Bent on revenge, Maleficent faces an epic battle with the invading king’s successor and, as a result, places a curse upon his newborn infant Aurora. As the child grows, Maleficent realizes that Aurora holds the key to peace in the kingdom—and perhaps to Maleficent’s true happiness as well.
As a child, Maleficent lived a peaceful life in an enchanted forest known as the Moors and had a close friendship with the young Stefan until one day he betrayed her and stole her wings as proof he killed her so he could become king. Maleficent becomes enraged over his treachery and as her heart of gold turns to stone she becomes the most evil being in the land.
Bent on revenge, she places a curse upon the baby Aurora to fall into a "sleep like death" when she pricks her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel. However, after Stefan begs her to spare his daughter's life, she also includes that the curse can be lifted only by true love's kiss and no other power on earth can change it.
Over the next 16 years, Maleficent watches over the young princess and despite her dislike for the little "beastie", she reluctantly takes care of her from afar since the three Pixies are incapable and struggle with their new life as humans. By the time Aurora is nearly 16, Maleficent brings her to the Moors and to her surprise, she is delighted to meet her. Aurora claims she is her Fairy Godmother and over the next few days, they spend time together with the other fairies. All the fairies take a liking to Aurora and even Maleficent starts to warm up to her. Seeing her no longer as her enemy, Maleficent tries to remove the curse from her but she is unable to since no power on earth can lift it but the kiss of true love.
When Aurora says she wishes to stay with Maleficent, she is delighted. However after learning the truth about her past and her Fairy Godmother's identity, she sadly returns to her father. Although ashamed, Maleficent knows if she returns to the castle, her life will be in danger.
As the sun begins to set, Maleficent finds Phillip and hurries to the castle but all is in vain when her evil prophecy has been fulfilled. Maleficent and Diaval sneak into the castle with Phillip and bring him to the sleeping Aurora, hoping that his kiss of true love will break the spell, but unfortunately, it does not. Maleficent sadly looks upon what her hatred has brought to her dear friend. She gives her a goodbye kiss on the forehead, and just before she can walk away, a miracle happens, Aurora wakes up. Their friendship was the strongest true love that can ever be.
As they make their way back to the Moors, Maleficent becomes captured by King Stefan and his guards. She and Diaval become easily pinned down and just before Stefan can kill her, Maleficent's wings return to her after Aurora frees them. Maleficent and Diaval manage to overpower the guards with the treacherous king still standing and just when Maleficent is close to choking him to death, she decides to spare him claiming "It's over." However, Stefan refuses to accept defeat and jumps on her. The two fall from a tower but Maleficent manages to gain airborne but leaves Stefan to fall to his death.
With peace finally made between the two lands, Maleficent passes her crown to Aurora making her Queen of both the human and fairy kingdoms. In the last scene, she flies happily through the skies with Diaval.
Powers and Abilities
Maleficent is the strongest and most powerful fairy of the Moors, acting simultaneously as its fiercest defender and unofficial leader. She was also shown to have undisputed control over the Moors' army and resources, which she could effectively utilize to do her bidding. Examples of her formidable powers include:
- Superhuman strength: Maleficent was shown to possess physical strength far greater than that of even a well-armored and seasoned warrior's, literally flooring dozens of armed soldiers when they attempted to invade the Moors and later defeating a crazed King Stefan with almost effortless ease.
- Wings (Limited Aerokinesis): Maleficent possessed a pair of tremendous eagle/bat wings that enabled her to fly at high heights and speeds. She described them as being strong enough to carry her above the clouds and into the headwinds, and that they had never ever faltered, which was an astoundingly accurate statement - apart from flight and speed, Maleficent's wings enhanced her already great strength and even enabled her to access a form of aerokinesis, as seen when she was able to generate powerful gusts of wind to blast her opponents, effectively carry two people into the air simultaneously, and snap an iron chain with ease despite her vulnerability to that substance.
- Healing Factor: Maleficent could recover instantaneously from injuries, even those caused by iron - provided that she was no longer touching it. During her final confrontation with Stefan, his soldiers first trapped her in an iron net that severely weakened her, and she was barely able to remain conscious because of the pain, but once Diaval removed the net, she regained sufficient strength to stand up on her feet. Her healing factor is so potent that her amputated wings not only remained alive and healthy for sixteen years, but also immediately reattached to her back when freed from their cell.
- Magical energy manipulation: Maleficent could manifest her magic in either yellow or green fire-like auras, depending on how she intended to use it. Usages of her magic include:
- Elemental control: Since childhood, Maleficent was able to manipulate the elements of nature, especially the manipulation of vegetable life, as demonstrated by her healing broken twigs and missing barks of tree, creating and animating an impenetrable wall of thorns to fend off Stefan's army, and animating tree roots to save Aurora from falling off a cliff. She could also control the weather to some extent, as seen when her rage over Stefan's betrayal caused the Moors' skies became windy and clouded, and how she played a prank on the Three Good Fairies by conjuring a small thunderstorm in their hut.
- Telekinesis: Maleficent has the power to move objects with her mind, which she also demonstrated since childhood. She has used it to manipulate a pair of wooden toys to dance by itself, swat the Three Good Fairies aside, and put people (Aurora and Philip) into a levitation suspension or cause her opponents (dozens of armed soldiers) to fly into the air and subsequently clash into one another, effectively knocking them out. In a state of extreme emotion, her telekinesis was shown to be powerful enough to crush objects, as seen when, after she had learned of Stefan's betrayal, she effortlessly tore apart two stone walls as she walked past by them.
- Matter manipulation: Maleficent could transmogrify other objects or creatures into whatever form she desired to. Though it was unknown whether or not she had this ability since childhood, it was shown to be one of her most commonly-used abilities after her wings were stolen. She turned a twig into a walking/magical staff, and frequently turned Diaval into other animals, much to his chagrin. The two most powerful applications of this ability in the film were repairing a spinning wheel that had been burned down for sixteen years, and turning Diaval into a fire-breathing dragon.
- Enchantment: Maleficent was a potent spell-caster. Throughout the film, she used an effective sleeping spell on Aurora and Philip when she deemed necessary, and more drastically placed a curse on the infant Aurora, which turned out to be irrevocable to even she herself when she tried to revoke it.
All in all, Maleficent's only weakness is iron - the slightest contact could burn her skin, and prolonged exposure could weaken her dramatically. However, when determined enough, Maleficent was able to snap an iron chain holding a chandelier with her wings, proving that even iron could barely slow her down when she was at her most dangerous.
- In the original version Maleficent was outright evil, while in this version Maleficent was a tragic villain, is shown to have morals and remorse, and only became evil when King Stephan betrayed her.
- In the original version, Maleficent has light green skin, while the 2014 version Maleficent has pale skin.
- Unlike the original version of Maleficent, this version is shown to not have the ability to teleport.
- In the original, Maleficent, and her minions were searching for Aurora for sixteen years with no such luck, while in this version, Maleficent was able to find Aurora, with the help from her pet raven Diaval, almost instantly.
- She also secretly took care of Aurora in this version, as the three pixies were too incompetent in taking care of a child, and they constantly bickered with each other.
- This version of Maleficent meets Prince Phillip, but she never imprisoned him in a dungeon in the Forbidden Mountain, nor confronted him.
- The original Maleficent dies at the end of the film, while the 2014 version, Maleficent is still alive.
- She ultimately felt remorse for cursing Aurora, and tried to undo the spell that she gave her when she was a baby.
- In the original version, Maleficent placed the curse on Aurora because she was never invited to the party in Aurora's favor, while in the 2014 version, she wanted to get her revenge on King Stephan for betraying her and their friendship.
- In the 2014 version, Maleficent and Stefan were close friends, and shared a romantic relationship together, before Stefan betrayed her, but in the 1959 version, It was never implied that Maleficent and Stefan knew each other via friendship, instead they knew each other via reputation.
- Maleficent in this version, never turned into a dragon, instead she turned Diaval into a dragon.
- This version of Maleficent does not live in a castle on top of the Forbidden Mountain, as instead, she lives in the Moors.
- The enchanted thorns Maleficent summoned in the 2014 version, were used as a barrier to prevent anyone from entering and destroying the Moors, while in the original version, Maleficent used the thorns to prevent Prince Phillip from reaching Princess Aurora and breaking the curse.
- Prince Phillip was the one who broke the curse in the original version, while in this version Maleficent (although made it at first) was the one who broke the curse.
- In this version, Maleficent had wings, but it was never implied if she had wings in the 1959 version (not including when she transformed into a dragon).
- In both versions Maleficent had a pet raven that was her trusted and loyal servant. However, both of them couldn't be anymore different. The original raven was named Diablo, while in this version, the raven was named Diaval.
- Due to what King Stefan did to her made her evil in this movie version. Maleficent cannot really be blamed for what she did, but it is Stefan who is responsible since Maleficent was turning the tables on him.
- Maleficent on the Heroes Wiki