|“||Tonight, your pod will bloom here. And when the pod blooms in darkness, it belongs to the darkness. It will become my little dark prince. I'll destroy the forest with the very thing you hoped would save it.||„|
|~ Mandrake revealing his plan.|
Mandrake is the main antagonist of Blue Sky's 8th animated feature film Epic, based on William Joyce's 1996 book of the same name.
He is the villainous leader of the Boggans, whose goal is to destroy the Leafmen and take over their kingdom. He also has a son named Dagda, who serves as his right-hand.
He was voiced by Christoph Waltz, who also played Hans Landa in Inglourious Bastards, Ernst Stavro Blofeld in the reboot James Bond franchise, Benjamin Chudnofsky in The Green Hornet, Cardinal Richelieu in The Three Musketeers, Léon Rom in The Legend of Tarzan, Bert Hanson in Horrible Bosses 2 and Walter Keane in Big Eyes.
Mandrake is the villainous leader of the creatures called Boggans whose goal is to defeat and destroy the Leafmen and to take over the entire kingdom and to destroy M.K.'s home and kill her father. Dagda is killed by Ronin after one of the arrows Dagda shoots is fired back at him by Ronin. Mandrake fires another arrow that hits the Queen, killing her as well, before flying to his sons aid. He interrogates Bufo to tell him where M.K. and her other friends were heading. Mandrake is beaten when Ronin and Nod work together, using their swords to push him out of the queen's castle. The gust of wind pushes him to a piece of sap or tar, imprisoning him forever. His magical staff was with him when he was covered with the tar, so it is unclear if he will escape or not. It is assumed that he would never escape, as his fate was presumably sealed to death.
Mandrake is known for being snide, ruthless, greedy, cunning, and aggressive. He is an oppressive and treacherous monster who enjoys suffering and hates plants. His powerful of the dark magic of decay increased his rule over his kingdom. Despite his vituperative and tyrannical nature, he is also a caring and compassionate father of his dark prince named Dagda, and becomes more consumed of revenge over his son's death. One of his most manipulative plans is when he takes over the entire kingdom.
Powers and Abilities
Mandrake is a skilled hand-to-hand combat warrior, commanding animals of the dark (ravens, moles, bats and anything else), enhanced strength and agility. Mandrake's staff can decay, rot, and kill any living thing with one strike at full force fuel by the user rage. Mandrake shows Bufo his power by rotting a tree and splitting it in half as it dies, killing a bat that a Leafman (Nod) mounted by stabbing his staff and turning the bat into a skeleton.
- "Shut up!"
- "Where are they taking the pod?"
- Epic was Christoph Waltz's first animation movie and it was his only until the stop-motion 2021 movie of Pinochio.
- Unlike his race, he, his deceased wife and son are more advanced Boggans with more intelligence than the rest.
- Mandrake's voice actor, Christoph Waltz also voiced him in the German dubbed version.
- He wears a bat pelt as head cap, cape and clothing. Some villains and culture tribes wear pelts to command respect and leadership over their people. Mandrake proves himself as a powerful ruler by killing a bat by himself and showing battle plans of conquering the dead forest kingdom his created.
- Mandrake's reign of terror and personality is like the late Cambodian dictator Pol Pot, because he turns a plentiful nation into a disease-ridden wasteland, killing people in the process.
- Johnny Knoxville was originally going to play the voice of Mandrake. When he pulled out, Christoph Waltz replaced him.
- He is the third main antagonist of a Blue Sky film to be a parent, after Madame Gasket and Sour Kangaroo.
- Mandrake’s voice actor Christoph Waltz were in Django Unchained which was released on the same year as the movie,