This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||I administer Kamen Rider Chronicle from now on... and will be the judge of your fates. I set the rules of this world.||„|
|~ Masamune Dan's most famous quote.|
Masamune Dan is founder of Genm Corp. and the primary antagonist of 2016 tokusatsu superhero TV series Kamen Rider Ex-Aid.
He is the true mastermind behind the outbreak of the Bugsters, secretly exploiting the virus to gather subjects for his plan. His ultimate goal is to become the controller of everybody's lives by trapping everyone within the augmented-reality game Kamen Rider Chronicle. Using the Buggle Driver II and the Kamen Rider Chronicle Master Gashat, Masamune can transform into Kamen Rider Cronus.
He was portrayed by actor and singer Hiroyuki Takami.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Forms
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Navigation
Discovering the Bugster Virus
16 years ago, Masamune Dan learned of the existence of the Bugster Virus from his son, Kuroto Dan, who discovered it after it emerged from the Y2K crisis. Unbeknownst to everyone but himself, Masamune infected himself with the virus to develop an antibody for it within him.
Masamune at some point partnered with Kiyonaga Hojo, who is Emu's father and the president of a medical equipment company, to develop a way to combat the Bugster virus. However, Masamune eventually figured out that Kiyonaga was responsible for the emergence of the Bugster virus, having inadvertently created it when he ran simulations on the Y2K with his medical equipment. With this, Masamune blackmailed Kiyonaga into helping him create Kamen Rider Chronicle and to hand over his son Emu to Kuroto for experimentation.
After Kuroto caused Zero Day and pinned the blame on him, Masamune willing took responsibility and allowed himself to be incarcerated in order to absolve him of guilt for the events that would follow. In his place, Kuroto would step up to become CEO of Genm though, unbeknownst to him, his father was secretly using him to further his own goals.
Masamune was eventually released from prison, allowing him to retake control of the Genm Corp. He walked in on the final battle between the Riders and the Bugsters and revealed himself as the true mastermind behind Kamen Rider Chronicle, having used Kuroto and the Bugsters as pawns to complete it. Masamune then transformed into Kamen Rider Cronus and used Cronus' "pause" ability to freeze the Riders and Bugsters. As they were frozen, Masamune attacked each one of them before coming to the Lovelica Bugster. Declaring that Toki Meki Crisis was no longer in stock, Cronus killed Lovelica and froze him in a permanent state of "death", trapping the Bugster from being able to come back. Cronus then unfroze time and departed as his attacks hit each of his targets.
Masamune blackmailed Hiiro Kagami into turning to his side with Proto Drago Knight Hunter Z, which had his girlfriend, Saki Momose, sealed inside of it. After much reluctance, Hiiro accepted the offer and betrayed Emu and Kuroto by preventing them from stopping the Pause ability of Cronus.
With Hiiro's assistance, Masamune revived Kiriya Kujo so he could become observant for the players of Kamen Rider Chronicle and prevent the doctors from stopping its progress. However, reviving Kiriya turned out to be Masamune's biggest mistake, as Kiriya revealed that his true purpose was to make an opening so Emu and Kuroto would create a new way to defeat him.
Cronus was later defeated by Ex-Aid Muteki Gamer. Angry at his defeat, Masamune threatened to kill Saki if Hiiro could not control Taddle Legacy. Masamune later overheard Hiiro being called by his father, who pleaded with him to perform a heart operation to save Taiga's life. Masamune ordered Hiiro to sabotage the heart surgery or he would delete Saki. Hiiro went to go perform the operation, while Emu attempted to save Saki from Masamune.
Cronus later went after Parado and Graphite to eliminate them. However, Graphite had incubated the Gamedeus virus within himself, allowing him to neutralize Cronus's "Pause" ability. However, Cronus managed to defeat the Bugsters by controlling the Energy Items. Before he could eliminate them, Genm and Lazer Turbo showed up to rescue Parado. Masamune gloated to the two that he had told Hiiro to intentionally kill Taiga, and mocked Emu by saying that Hiiro would fail. However, unable to go back on his integrity as a doctor, Hiiro instead successfully completed the operation and restored Taiga. Infuriated by his underling's betrayal, Masamune erased Saki's data. Emu and Hiiro transformed to attack Cronus, but Masamune retreated using the Bugvisor II after being beaten down, leaving Hiiro to weep for his lost love.
Spreading the Gamedeus Virus
Masamune Dan later reprogrammed Gamedeus' data to spread the Bugster virus, plotting to spread the virus worldwide to digitize the entire world with the virus so he could reign over everyone as god. However, Lazer Turbo and Genm counter this by developing a vaccine that neutralizes the virus. His scheme to instigate another global pandemic failed, Masamune finishes off Gamedeus and absorbs his remains into his body, turning himself into Gamedeus Cronus.
With his new form, Masamune causes another pandemic with a strengthened version of the Gamedeus virus and attempts to kill Nico Saiba, as she is the only player who can face the end boss of Kamen Rider Chronicle. To save Nico, Taiga becomes Kamen Rider Cronus an duels Gamedeus Cronus, but the Bugster-human hybrid overpowers him and knocks him out of his transformation. As Taiga is defeated, Emu and Hiiro arrive to assist as well and assume their Kamen Rider forms. Together, the three Kamen Riders managed to stand up to him, only for Masamune to transform into Super Gamedeus to further spread the pandemic.
However, Poppy sacrifices herself to strengthen the Gamedeus virus vaccine, allowing it to reach and cure the humans infected and turned into Gamedeus' horde. The Riders then battle Super Gamedeus again and revert back to their Level 1 forms, allowing them to separate Masamune and Gamedeus. With Gamedeus on his own, Parado sacrifices himself to destroy Gamedeus with the Doctor Mighty XX Gashat.
Masamune then transforms into Kamen Rider Cronus to fight the Doctor Riders one more time. While holding his own at first, Cronus ends up being overwhelmed by the Riders once they switch to their Level 2 forms, with Emu delivering the final blow. Defeated and knocked out of transformation, Masamune decides to have the last laugh by killing himself out of spite, preventing any of the eliminated players from being saved.
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Trilogy: Another Ending
Masamune appears in Another Ending trilogy as a supporting character. After Masamune's demise, Kuroto Dan instigated his escape plan and managed to escape from his prison. After escaping, Kuroto found and worked with Dr. Saiko Yaotome, who is in fact the daughter of Michihiko Zaizen aka Dr. Pac-Man, the deceased former leader of Next Genome Institute. Using Saiko's desire for vengeance and her hatred towards Bugsters, Kuroto made brought Masamune back to life as a Bugster using his data, so that they would extract the Bugster Virus in Masamune and bring it into its manifestation, resulted in creating Black Parado in process.
During Saiko's experiment, she took then Poppy to a clothes store which Masamune Dan had also taken his wife Sakurako Dan just prior to the birth of their son. Poppy wore the dress in the same style which Saeko once dressed, and had a vision of Masamune, before becoming a heartless megalomaniac, happily taking photos of his wife.
Meanwhile, after creating Black Parado, Kuroto tied his imprisoned father on a pillar with Level 0 program. Kuroto revealed his plan in front of his father and spitefully humiliated him, forcing him to atone for his crime of exploiting his very own son. However, much to Kuroto's shock, Masamune only claimed that the only past deed he ever regretted was the birth of Kuroto. Disappointed, Kuroto later left his father to rot after absorbed the data of Black Parado and created the Gashat of God Maximum Gamer Level 1000000000 as a result, before returning the Buggle Driver II to his father.
Determined to stop his son's mad plan, Masamune tried hard to break free and managed to transform into Kamen Rider Cronus once more. After defeating a Zombie Player, Masamune teleported himself to Kuroto's game area, right on time to rescue a near-defeated Kiriya. Disgusted over Kuroto's madness, Masamune decided to discontinue Kuroto by himself. Kuroto tried to convince his father into give in and restore every victims data back to normal - data that have been restored because of the game's reset. However, Masamune refused. Kuroto then asked if he never cared about Sakurako anymore, but Masamune said he would always remember her and had moved on from her death.
Then, they started to battle, but Kuroto soon defeated his father when Masamune's Pause proved to be useless against Kuroto's game area set in universe. Kuroto soon left after defeating his father, leaving the latter to die. In his final moment, Masamune asked Kiriya to trust him for the final time, saying he must stop Kuroto and still believing his son should never be born. After that, Masamune died once more and became data within Buggle Driver II once again. Kiriya later used the data left by Masamune to render Kuroto's God Maximum Gamer useless.
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid: ~Mighty Novel X~
Masamune Dan does not appear in this novel, but his crimes are further brought to light. It is revealed that Masamune originally partnered with Emu's father Kiyonaga Hojo to develop medical equipment capable of fighting the Bugster virus, but soon found out about his role in creating it and blackmailed him into assisting with the development of Kamen Rider Chronicle, forcing him to hand over his son Emu for experimentation by Kuroto.
Kamen Rider Zi-O
In Kamen Rider Zi-O, due to the alterations of the timeline by the Time Jackers, Masamune Dan became just an ordinary CEO rather than the maniacal control freak he was in Kamen Rider Ex-Aid. He was killed in 2016 by Kuroto Dan so he could usurp his father's power.
Though he keeps up the guise of an affable and benevolent businessman, Masamune's true personality underneath is that of a self-centered and manipulative sociopath who cares for nothing but his own goals, being willing to kill thousands of people in order to achieve them. He addresses each of the Kamen Riders and Bugsters by the Rider Gashats they use or in the game they originated from, viewing them not as living beings but as products of the Genm Corp and even refers to killing them off as "discontinuing a product".
For the first half of the series, Masamune keeps up the facade of a well-meaning CEO and father while he is behind bars and Kamen Rider Chronicle is in development. However, after he is released from jail and his plans start to come to fruition, Masamune reveals himself to be a tyrannical control freak who believes he has the right to control everyone's fates and is willing to do whatever it takes to see the end result of his goals, including resorting to underhanded and deceitful tactics.
Even after he has been defeated, Masamune clings to his belief that he is the controller of everyone's lives, and kills himself purely out of spite to preventing the victims of Kamen Rider Chronicle from being saved.
A more humane side of Masamune was explored in Another Ending trilogy, where it is revealed that Masamune was once a loving man who genuinely cared about his wife, before he eventually turned insane because of her infection of Bugster virus. He was also horrified by Kuroto's plan and insanity, and he would stop him no matter what the cost. However, Masamune still refuses to show remorse over his manipulation over Kuroto. Instead, he only curses his son, wishing the latter was never born.
Kamen Rider Cronus
- Height: 205.0cm
- Weight: 101.0kg
- Punching power: 110.0t
- Kicking power: 120.7t
- Jumping power: 96.0m (one jump)
- Running power: 0.96 seconds (100m)
- Kick Special Move: Critical Crusades
- Gashacon Special Moves Using Bug Weiser II
- Chainsaw Mode: Critical Sacrifice
- Beam Gun Mode: Critical Judgment
- Chainsaw Mode: Critical Sacrifice
- CR Head-CHR - The head of Kamen Rider Cronus.
- Eyelight Scope - Kamen Rider Cronus visual sensor. It is equipped with a shooting function similar to that of a high-speed camera and a light emitting device for night combat. It is also possible to observe micro-sized Bugster virus.
- Chrono Blade Crown - Kamen Rider Cronus's search device. Five blade antennas capture and identify all moving object reactions in the game area, and automatically set tracking markers. The radar map on the internal monitor shows the position of the captured enemy and its remaining physical strength.
- Master Ride Hair - Parts that protect the head of Kamen Rider Cronus. The explosion-resistant coating applied to the surface increases the strength more than necessary and never breaks.
- Dynamic Goggles - Kamen Rider Cronus face goggles. It has the role of protecting the visual sensor from impact and dirt. The strength is sufficiently increased by the explosion-resistant clear coating agent applied to the surface, and it never cracks.
- Sender Year - Kamen Rider Cronus hearing sensor. It has a function to block out ambient noise and let the transformant hear only the necessary sounds. It is also equipped with a secret communication function for conducting voice conversations with a specific party and a communication interception function.
- Air Fresh Guard - An intake device attached to the head of Kamen Rider Cronus. Protects the health of transformants by removing harmful substances from the air taken in. In addition, the excess air taken in is used to keep the temperature and humidity inside the suit in optimum condition. Compressed air is also stored inside, so you can work for a long time in water.
- Long Life Guard - A black protector that protects the chest of Camen Rider Kronus. It has the function of distributing the damage received at the key points to the whole body so as not to inflict serious damage on the internal center.
- X Controller - A management module located on the chest of Kamen Rider Cronus. It controls the system when activating special skills and materializes the Gashacon weapon.
- CR Master Arm - The arm of Kamen Rider Kronos. It is equipped with a "gain over riser" function that maximizes offensive and defensive power. It has a good response and a quick attack, so it is suitable for a tactic that folds up with a quick attack.
- Saver Fight Gloves - Reinforced gloves that cover the fists of Kamen Rider Cronus. Data communication with the Gashacon weapon is performed through the surface of the glove, and the attack system is linked and optimized. Also, each time the attack hits, the punching power increases by 5%.
- CR Master Leg - The legs of Kamen Rider Kronos. It is equipped with a "gain over riser" function that maximizes offensive and defensive power. It has excellent instantaneous power, and can take advantage of its high running ability to shorten the distance to the opponent at once and launch an attack quickly.
- Saver Shoes - Battle shoes of Kamen Rider Cronus. It enables acrobatic movements such as air injection, adjustment of fall timing, and three-step jump. Also, each time the attack hits, the kick power increases by 5%.
- Sanctions Effector - A special device built into the chest of Kamen Rider Kronos. A system "Time Executor" that controls the flow of time in the game area is incorporated. A Buggle Driver II is required to use the pause function.
- Chrono Blade Shoulder - Armor that protects the shoulders of Kamen Rider Kronos. It has a function to isolate itself from the surrounding space so that it can move freely even when the time in the game area is stopped.
- Chrono Gear Suit - Kamen Rider Kronos bodysuit. It uses the Bugster virus to assist and strengthen the movements of transformants, bringing about amazing physical abilities. Adjustments have been made with an emphasis on athletic ability and reaction speed, and the skill of the wearer is directly reflected as combat power.
- Buggle Driver II - The belt used when transforming into Kamen Rider Cronus.
- Mech Hand Red Guard - Guard parts attached to the arms and legs of Kamen Rider Cronus. The strength is sufficiently enhanced by the explosion-resistant coating agent applied to the surface, and it can almost certainly catch an attack of 100 tons or less.
- GC Head - The head of Gamedeus Cronus.
- Bloodshot Scope - Gamedeus Kronos visual sensor. It is equipped with a shooting function similar to that of a high-speed camera and a light emitting device for night combat. It is also possible to observe micro-sized Bugster virus.
- GC Blade Crown - Gamedeus Kronos search device. Five blade antennas capture and identify all moving object reactions in the game area, and automatically set tracking markers. The radar map on the internal monitor shows the position of the captured enemy and its remaining physical strength.
- Keio Slide Hair - Parts that protect the head of Gamedeus Cronus. The explosion-resistant coating applied to the surface increases the strength more than necessary and never breaks.
- Dynamic Goggles - Gamedeus Cronus face goggles. It has the role of protecting the visual sensor from impact and dirt. The strength is sufficiently increased by the explosion-resistant clear coating agent applied to the surface, and it never cracks.
- Sender Year - Gamedeus Kronos auditory sensor. It has a function to block out ambient noise and let the transformant hear only the necessary sounds. It is also equipped with a secret communication function for conducting voice conversations with a specific party and a communication interception function.
- Air Fresh Guard - An intake device attached to the head of Gamedeus Kronos. Protects the health of transformants by removing harmful substances from the air taken in. In addition, the excess air taken in is used to keep the temperature and humidity inside the suit in optimum condition. Compressed air is also stored inside, so you can work for a long time in water.
- Mastermind Guard - A protector that protects the chest of Gamedeus Cronus. It has the function of distributing the damage received at the key points to the whole body so as not to inflict serious damage on the internal center. In addition, it is possible to fully recover physical strength in a dozen seconds by the self-healing function, but if you receive a large amount of damage during recovery, all defense functions will be temporarily stopped.
- Deus Controller - A management module located on the chest of Gamedeus Cronus. Activate the special abilities of each bug star, and materialize the special equipment "Deus Rasher" and the treasure shield "Deus Rampart".
- GC Master Arm - Arm of Gamedeus Cronus. It is equipped with a "gain over riser" function that maximizes offensive and defensive power. It has a good response and a quick attack, so it is suitable for a tactic that folds up with a quick attack.
- Dead End Gloves - Reinforced gloves that cover the fists of Gamedeus Cronus. It is possible to send Gemdeus virus to special equipment through the surface of the glove and enhance its performance. Also, each time the attack hits, the punching power increases by 10%.
- GC Master Leg - Gamedeus Cronus legs. It is equipped with a "gain over riser" function that maximizes offensive and defensive power. It has excellent instantaneous power, and can take advantage of its high running ability to shorten the distance to the opponent at once and launch an attack quickly.
- Dead End Shoes - Gamedeus Cronus battle shoes. It enables acrobatic movements such as air injection, adjustment of fall timing, and three-step jump. Also, each time the attack hits, the kick power increases by 10%.
- Sanctions Effector - A special device built into the chest of Gamedeus Cronus. A system "Time Executor" that controls the flow of time in the game area is incorporated. It is possible to control the time in the Kamen Rider Chronicle by operating the buttons of Buggle Driver II.
- GC Blade Shoulder - Armor that protects the shoulders of Gamedeus Cronus. It has a function to isolate itself from the surrounding space so that it can move freely even when the time in the game area is stopped .
- Bugs Gear Suit - Gamedeus Cronus bodysuit. It uses the Gemdeus virus to assist and strengthen the movements of transformants, resulting in incredible physical abilities. Adjustments have been made with an emphasis on athletic ability and reaction speed, and the skill of the wearer is directly reflected as combat power.
- Buggle Driver II - The belt used when transforming into Gamedeus Cronus.
- Mech Activator - Guard parts attached to the arms and legs of Gamedeus Cronus. It has the function of activating the Gemdeus virus throughout the body by utilizing the stress of the transformant, which increases each time it is attacked. As the activation progresses, all abilities will be strengthened, and it will be possible to evolve into a new battle form.
|“||There are no continues for those who die frozen in time. He is trapped in the moment of death... permanently.||„|
|~ Masamune after killing Lovrica Bugster.|
|“||The human known as Masamune Dan has ceased to exist. I am an existence with the powers of both Cronus and Gamedeus. The overseer of Kamen Rider Chronicle... and the True Final Boss.||„|
|~ Masamune after absorbing the data of Gamedeus.|
|“||It wasn't supposed to be like this! If without Hyper Muteki, my plans would run perfectly! Hyper Muteki should... DISAPPEAR!!! I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THE JUDGE OF YOUR DESTINY! I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THIS WORLD'S... RUUUUUUUUUUUUUULE!!!||„|
|~ Masamune's rant before he reset Kamen Rider Chronicles and wiped out Hyper Muteki|
|“||The judgement has been passed. All Doctor Riders, the pandemic of fate has now opened. The true last boss would evolve to its next form each time after being defeated. THIS IS THE MEANING OF A GAME!||„|
|~ Gamedeus Cronus|
Kamen Rider Cronus
- Masamune Dan shares some similarities with Tenjuro Banno from Kamen Rider Drive. Both played a role in the creation of the villain factions of their respective series, are opposed by their own sons and are their series' true main antagonists. Both also possess massive god complexes, though Masamune is more composed for a villain in contrast to Banno's psychotic personality; although Masamune becomes more mentally unstable and paranoid than his own son after suffering his first defeat by Emu.
- Masamune Dan's theme song as Kamen Rider Cronus is JUSTICE, which is sung by his actor, Hiroyuki Takami, who ironically also sings Kuroto Dan's theme song as Genm. It should also take into consideration that Hiroyuki Takami is the lead singer of a Japanese pop duo known as "access".
- Masamune and Kuroto's relationship and personalities could be based on an interpretation of the relationship between game developers and game company executives. While Kuroto is an eccentric game developer who mainly seeks to make good games, Masamune is a cold businessman who mostly cares about making a profit.
- He is also very similar to Dio Brando/DIO from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, as they both have the same goals that is driving the plot of their respective series. They also have the ability to stop time, which is also a reference to the JoJo series.