This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Bernie Hayes: That's- Robot Godzilla!
Josh Valentine: Oh, no, that's...that's Mechagodzilla.
|~ Bernie Hayes and Josh Valentine upon seeing Mechagodzilla activated.|
|“||And now... my Mecha. It's not only Godzilla's equal... but his superior. The Apex Titan of my own hand. It's time to show the world what you can do.||„|
|~ Walter Simmons upon witnessing the full activation of Mechagodzilla.|
Mechagodzilla is the main antagonist of the 2021 film Godzilla vs. Kong.
It was a mechanized kaiju created by Apex Cybernetics in order to exterminate every Titan in the world, so that humans would remain as the dominant species on Earth. However, it would later fall under the influence of King Ghidorah and instead sought out to destroy both Godzilla and King Kong.
Initially, Mechagodzilla had no distinct personality, due to the pilot controlling the mech. It would only act and follow based on the pilot's command. However, upon being exposed to the Hollow Earth's energy, the energy merged with Ghidorah's neural networks, causing Mechagodzilla to go haywire. Ultimately, it granted the mech a personality of its own. As a result, Mechagodzilla became a relentless killing machine that was determined to kill both Godzilla and Kong, as well as any humans around it.
There are instances where Mechagodzilla was shown to exhibit traits similar to that of Ghidorah, such as its roar, as it was a slight mechanical mixture between Godzilla's and Ghidorah's. Like Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla began to show signs of great fear and dread the moment it was faced with imminent death when being chopped by Kong's battle axe, as it attempted to escape from his wrath. Oddly enough however, Mechagodzilla doesn't appear to display the same traits as the left head, despite it being connected to this particular skull of Ghidorah. This might suggest that, while Ghidorah is influencing Mechagodzilla, he isn't directly possessing it and that Mechagodzilla's newfound consciousness could be its own entity entirely. Another possibility could be that the left head as Mechagodzilla has no interests and curiosity for humanity and is only focused on destroying those around it, likely learning from its past defeats at the hands of Godzilla.
Mechagodzilla was constructed by the technology conglomerate Apex Cybernetics in the aftermath of Ghidorah's apocalyptic rampage in 2019. Using the skull of Ghidorah's left head, a cockpit was made to control Mechagodzilla through radio waves. The pilot used was Ren Serizawa, the son of Ishiro Serizawa, who would enter a trance while piloting the mecha. The purpose of its construction was to exterminate every living Titan on Earth so that humans can become the apex species.
Godzilla vs. Kong
Mechagodzilla is first seen in an enclosed Apex facility in Hong Kong that Madison Russel, Josh Valentine, and Bernie Hayes locate after they stowaway on a carrier containing Skullcrawler eggs. Mechagodzilla tested its might against an adult Skullcrawler, using its brute strength alone to grab the Skullcrawler and slice it in half with its energy beam (known as the Proton Screamer). Apex CEO Walter Simmons later reveals his intention to harness energy from the Hollow Earth to overcome the limitations of Mechagodzilla. Following an excursion to the Hollow Earth, Apex manages to contain a stone containing a piece of the energy and use it to upgrade Mechagodzilla.
Following the battle of Godzilla and Kong where Godzilla defeats Kong, Simmons saw this as his opportunity to test his invention and activates Mechagodzilla. However, the energy influx causes Mechagodzilla to malfunction, electrocuting Ren to death. The mixture of the energy source and Ghidorah's neural network "awakens" Ghidorah's consciousness, causing it to possess Mechagodzilla. It overrides the controls and kills Simmons before breaking out of the Apex facility. Mechagodzilla then goes on an uncontrollable rampage across Hong Kong, destroying everything in its path with its Proton Screamer before confronting Godzilla.
Haven grown weary from the previous battle against Kong, Godzilla is swiftly and brutally overpowered by his mechanical counterpart, who blasts him with its various weapons and throws him around the city. Fortunately, Nathan Lind revives Kong by using his Hollow Earth vehicle as a defibrillator, and Jia convinces him to help Godzilla. But even with Kong's assistance, Mechagodzilla still proves too strong and is able to overpower both kaiju. Before it can finish them off, Mechagodzilla stalls after Josh pours Bernie's alcohol onto the robot's control panel. Godzilla then uses his breath to charge up Kong's axe, enabling him to dismember Mechagodzilla limb to limb before ripping its head off, ending its brief reign of terror.
Powers and Abilities
- Android Titan Physiology: As an android titan, Mechagodzilla possessed several physical and non-physical attributes.
- Advanced Strength: Mechagodzilla was much stronger than humans and most other titans; for example, it was able to overpower Godzilla (the king of the titans) relatively easily, even when Godzilla and Kong both battled against him simultaneously, Mechagodzilla was still proving to be more than a match for the two titans. However, it should be noted that at the time, Godzilla and Kong were both in an extremely weakened state after fighting against each other, thus; they were not at the peak of their strength.
- Advanced Durability: Mechagodzilla was far more durable than humans and most other titans; for example, it was able to withstand powerful blows from both Godzilla and Kong respectively.
- Advanced Speed: Mechagodzilla was much faster than humans and most other titans; for example, it was able to run at great speeds, as Mechagodzilla could outpace Godzilla. However, it should be noted that at the time, Godzilla was in an extremely weakened state, following his battle against Kong, thus; he was not at the peak of his speed.
- Advanced Agility: Mechagodzilla was far more agile than humans and most other titans.
- Advanced Reflexes: Mechagodzilla's reflexes were much faster than humans and most other titans; for example, it was able to dodge and counter most of Godzilla and Kong's strikes.
- Advanced Stamina: Mechagodzilla possessed far more stamina than humans and most other titans; allowing it to remain physically active for long periods of time.
- Proton Scream: Mechagodzilla could generate, create and project an intense bright red energy beam from its mouth; for example, it was capable of slicing a adult Skullcrawler in half and could overpower Godzilla's atomic breath. However, it should be noted that at the time, Godzilla was in an extremely fatigued state following his battle against Kong, thus; his atomic breath was not at the peak of its strength.
- Advanced Combatant: Due to Mechagodzilla's advanced physical strength, speed, agility and reflexes, it was a highly skilled combatant; as it was able to go head-on against both Godzilla and Kong both simultaneously, despite being outnumbered. However, it should be noted that at the time, Godzilla and Kong were both in an extremely weakened state after fighting against each other, thus; they were not at the peak of their strength.
- Missile Launchers: Mechagodzilla had shoulder-mounted missile launchers capable of stunning Godzilla.
- Drill: The tail of Mechagodzilla was equipped with a deadly drill that it attempted to use against Godzilla and Kong.
- Thrusters: Mechagodzilla had thrusters mounted into its back and sides, enabling quick bursts of movement or added momentum to its strikes.
- Hollow Earth-Based Energy: Mechagodzilla was able to use energy from the Hollow Earth by charging it into its hands and feet, allowing it to perform devastating hits on Godzilla and Kong.
- Limited Durability: Although Mechagodzilla was incredibly durable, it did have his limits; for example, Kong's charged up axe was able to cleave through its armored exterior and subsequently destroy its limbs.
- Control panel damage: Liquid poured onto Mechagodzilla's control panel resulted in it seizing up during combat, allowing Kong and Godzilla to gain the upper hand.
- Mechagodzilla combines various aspects of previous incarnations such as the Showa films (villainous and designed to usurp Godzilla as King of the Monsters), Heisei (has ties to an incarnation of King Ghidorah), and Kiryu (uses a bio-computer, goes berserk, and surprisingly agile). It also borrows character elements from the scrapped kaiju Berserk (taken over by some force and turning against its creators).
- This is the second incarnation of Mechagodzilla to be featured in an American-made film, after the Ready Player One Mechagodzilla.
- Kong decapitating Mechagodzilla is very similar to the way Godzilla twisted and ripped Mechagodzilla's head off in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and how the Predator rips the heads from it's victims.
- At one point, Mechagodzilla's proton scream briefly sparks with blue and yellow energy. This results in a very similar aesthetic to the space beams of the first Mechagodzilla.
- Mechagodzilla's roar is just the mechanically mimicked version of Godzilla's roar. When Ghidorah's consciousness possesses the mecha, its roar changed to a modified variation of Ghidorah's own roar.
- The method that Mechagodzilla intended to kill Godzilla was the same way Godzilla had used to kill the female M.U.T.O. in the first movie, the "kiss of death".
- The concept of Mechagodzilla built around another kaiju and later being possessed by said kaiju is similar to the one with Kiryu, who was built around the bones of the original Godzilla and would at one point fall under the influence of him.
- Mechagodzilla and godzilla briefly clash their respective energy beam and atomic breath a callback to a simular shot in the hesei films.