|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||That's what I said to your mother... Right before I gave it to her.||„|
|~ Modi's last words before killed by Atreus.|
|“||You ruined everything. I earned that f***ing hammer. But now everyone's gonna think I only got it cause Magni's gone. I'll be a joke. But if I kill you - no one's gonna laugh at me.||„|
|~ Modi to Kratos.|
|“||When no one is looking, we'll be back for your other eye.||„|
|~ Modi threatened Mimir after refusing to assist them.|
Modi is the secondary antagonist of God of War. He is one of the sons of Thor and is one of the Æsir. He and his brother Magni were tasked by his grandfather, Odin to help Baldur, their uncle, in order to find Kratos and Atreus.
He is voiced by Nolan North, who also voiced Hades in 2005s God of War, Dr. Edward Richtofen in Call of Duty Zombies, The Penguin in Batman Arkham series, Martin Walker in Spec Ops: The Line, and David in The Last of Us.
God of War
Modi first travels with his brother Magni and his uncle Baldur to enlist Mimir's aid in finding Kratos and Atreus. After Mimir promptly refuses to held the three gods, Modi and Magni threaten to return later and steal Mimir's other eye when no one is looking.
Later, Modi and Magni search for Kratos and Atreus near Thamur's corpse, eventually discovering them while the two were trying to obtain a piece of Thamur's chisel. When Magni discovers the two right when they wete about to get Thamur's chisel, Kratos defies Magni's order to surrender. When Kratos tells Atreus to run, the latter is ambushed by Modi, who is amused to see (to him at least) a mere child with a bow threatening him, this leads to a fight breaking out. During the battle, Magni frequently mocks Atreus, especially his recently deceased mother. After a fierce, violent struggle, Kratos manages to overwhelm and kills Magni, prompting Modi to flee in abject terror as Atreus fired arrows at him in rage.
Modi later attempted to defeat Kratos and Atreus at Tyr's Temple by ambush. As he begins electrocuting Kratos, he furiously proclaims that Kratos ruined everything and that he'll only get Mjölnir by default because of Magni's death, showing his inferior complex of living under his much stronger and revered brother's shadow. However, after Atreus falls into a coma because of his attempt to use Spartan's Rage, Modi is quickly overpowered and struck by an enraged Kratos, forcing him to retreat again.
|“||Thor... Blame me... ME... for what you did to Magni. My own father called me a coward...||„|
|~ Modi to Kratos and Atreus after got beaten up by Thor|
Following this, Modi fled back to Asgard, where Thor blamed him for Magni's death and severely beat him for his cowardice. Later, a bloodied Modi attempted to confront Kratos and Atreus again when the two were inside the mountain, but was too badly injured to do anything. Kratos saw no reason to kill him as he had already been beaten, but after Modi's particularly vulgar insult towards Atreus' mother, Faye, Atreus stabs Modi in the neck and kicks him into the chasm, presumably killing him.
Modi, like most of the Æsir, was a cruel and sadistic individual, threatening Mimir with torture after the God of Knowledge refused to aid in the hunt for Kratos and Atreus.
However, unlike the other Æsir Gods (seen so far), such as Baldur and his brother Magni. Modi was a spineless coward, preferring either opponents weaker than himself, or ambushing them from behind, unlike Magni, who was eager for a challenge.
Modi was extremely obsessed making his father proud of him, more so than his brother, due to being looked down on all his life in favor of his brother's accomplishments. After Magni's death Modi was consumed with the paranoia of being seen as a joke by his fellow Gods prompting him to continue hunting Kratos alone using cowardly tactics just to prove himself to his father. Despite the bitter rivalry however, Modi and Magni were extremely close with one another, as after the latter was slain by Kratos, Modi was overcome with horror and swore vengeance upon him.
Modi was noted as a fool by others, such as the Æsir, Baldur, Mimir, Kratos and Sindri who the latter called him and Magni as Thor's idiot sons, due to relying on brute force than anything else. This was shown when after being brutally beaten and has been called a coward by his own father, Modi still had the gall to threaten Kratos and Atreus despite being completely at their mercy, and continued to insult them, which finally led to his death.
- Ironically enough, while in real life mythology, Modi, along with his brother, were destined to be one of the few survivors of Ragnarok, and both would go on to dual-wield Thor's hammer. While in the game, the two never even made it so see Ragnarok's beginning, and neither earned the right to wield the hammer.
- These factors are referenced in the game itself. After Magni's death Modi asks Kratos "How did you?" indicating the brothers were aware of their supposed destinies to survive Ragnarok. When Modi attempts to kill Kratos he says "I earned that fucking hammer" indicating they were competing to earn Thor's hammer.
- Modi (Móði) ironically means “Courage“. In reality, Modi is a pathetic coward who prefers to fight weaker opponents i.e., children, e.g., Atreus and flees when the tables are turned and the odds aren't in his favor anymore such as when Kratos killed his older brother.
- Coincidentally; in Norse Mythology, Magni and Modi were deliberately named as such because they were meant to embody their father's features. Even more ironically, his own father Thor called Modi a coward and consequently severely beat him for running away and failing to save his older brother and Thor’s favoured son.
- Modi is heavily implied to be a pedophile, due to his obsession with getting Atreus to himself, even in battle he mocks Atreus asking "Jealous? Want me all to yourself?" and "Got big plans for you, kid."
- While trying to kill Kratos, Modi asks if Atreus will be his "new brother" though it may suggest he wanted a younger brother to feel superior to, since all of his life he was overshadowed by Magni
God Of War II
Creatures in God of War