|“||I am your wickedness, made of flesh.||„|
Nightmare is a supporting antagonist in the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise, serving as the final antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 4 and a minor antagonist in Ultimate Custom Night.
Nightmare as a whole is a mysterious character, but he called himself the "wickedness made of flesh" of the protagonist of Ultimate Custom Night and has been heavily implied to be Shadow Freddy. He replaces Nightmare Fredbear as the main antagonist on the final night, aptly named "Nightmare" (FNAF 4's 20/20/20/20 mode).
He also appears on the cover of Scott Cawthon's book: Five Nights at Freddy's: The Twisted Ones, despite not actually being in the novel itself.
He is voiced by Eric D. Ward.
Nightmare is clearly based on Nightmare Fredbear, being some sort of demonic version of the already demonic looking Fredbear. Unlike Fredbear, his skin is translucent, exposing all of his animatronic parts. Upon closer examination, a black mass seems to reside in Nightmare's head. However, it's just his endoskeleton's head.
He is black with a yellow hat and bow tie, the yellow hat having a black trim on it.
Five Nights at Freddy's 4
Just like Fredbear on Night 6, on Night 7 and Night 8, he takes the same role, appearing at 4 AM, and replacing all animatronics, taking up their duties. He must be handled the same way, but Nightmare is more aggressive than Fredbear. Also, he always directly appears at the doorway. Upon being attacked by him, he will appear in a screen similar to Golden Freddy instead of a complete animation. His existence is unexplained, and his purpose is unknown. He is acknowledged in the gallery as a separate entity from Nightmare Fredbear, meaning that he must have some sort of significance.
Ultimate Custom Night
Nightmare appears in the Ultimate Custom Night update alongside most of his fellow nightmare animatronics. He is invisible to the player and approaches the right door, with only his eyes indicating his presence. The player must close the right door to send Nightmare back into the darkness.
The Twisted Ones
Nightmare appears on the cover of The Twisted Ones; sequel to The Silver Eyes novel. However, there are only hints to Nightmare's presence in the book.
- Nightmare and Shadow Freddy have been heavily implied to be the same entity throughout the story.
- Nightmare is outright called "Shadow Freddy" in the game files.
- In "Hide and Seek", the third story in the sixth book in the Fazbear Frights series, Shadow Bonnie is the antagonist and appears in the protagonist's dream as a monster with sharp teeth and claws.
- This implies that Nightmare isn't a nightmarish representation of Shadow Freddy like the other Nightmare animatronics are to their real counterparts, but simply Shadow Freddy when he enters dreams.
- He calls himself the "wickedness made of flesh" of the protagonist of Ultimate Custom Night. Said protagonist is heavily implied to be William Afton, and Shadow Freddy himself is already linked to Afton.
- He is assumed to be a personification of Death, meaning that the Fredbear-type appearance is only a simplified form and that his true form is incomprehensible.
- However, there is no proof.
- His current role in the story is unknown.
- Nightmare is the only one animatronic who does not have a jumpscare in the Extras Menu.
- Nightmare and Nightmarionne are the only animatronics in the fourth game who do not have an animated jumpscare similar to Golden Freddy from the first game.
- Upon close inspection, Nightmare has transparent parts in is body, this could imply that he is a ghost.
- An opinion gives that his black appearance makes him a spirit.
- However, in Ultimate Custom Night, Nightmare is not transparent.
- There is a theory that he is actually the Bite Victim, the playable protagonist of the Five Nights at Freddy's 4 minigames as he tries to kill his older brother, Michael Afton, because he killed him.
- Despite the popular belief, Nightmare doesn't have a brain. It's only the head of his endoskeleton, although it's possible that it represents his brain.
- Nightmare can appear every night if the player uses the All Nightmare challenge on any night.