|“||Let me put you back together... And then take you apart all over again.||„|
|~ Nightmare Fredbear's most famous quote.|
|“||We know who our friends are, and you are not one of them.||„|
|~ Nightmare Fredbear's death quote from Ultimate Custom Night.|
|“||I assure you, I am very real.||„|
|~ Nightmare Fredbear.|
Nightmare Fredbear is a major antagonist in the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise. He serves as the secondary antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 4 and a supporting antagonist in Ultimate Custom Night and Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted.
In the minigames, Fredbear is a friend of the crying child. However, in the nights, Nightmare Fredbear is a hostile being with no remorse, replacing all of the animatronics in night 5 and acting as boss fight. This may be due to his real-life counterpart being responsible for The Bite of '83, which had him bite down on the crying child.
He is voiced by Zach Hoffman.
Five Nights at Freddy's 4
Fredbear is the main antagonist of the actual gameplay of the game, being the root fear of the protagonist.
In Night 5, all of the nightmare animatronics mysteriously disappear, with Nightmare Fredbear appearing everywhere they do, and doing each of their jobs, however, as there is only one of him, he is the only threat. However, he is quicker, and more difficult to get rid of constantly laughing sadistically throughout the night.
After the night is completed, the next minigame shows bullies, including the child's brother, picking on the crying child, then, as a cruel joke, put the child's head in the mouth of the Fredbear animatronic, causing it to be unable to sing. The child's head became trapped between the second row of teeth in the animatronic, and, as the jaw slowly clamped down on his head, the bullies laughed. Their laughing soon turned into horror, as Fredbear's jaw suddenly broke through the child's fragile skull.
On Night 6, at exactly 4 am, all of the animatronics disappear, and are once again replaced with Nightmare Fredbear. The protagonist finally defeats Nightmare Fredbear, stopping the nightmares he had.
Ultimate Custom Night
Nightmare Fredbear returns as a customizable enemy in the game Ultimate Custom Night. He is invisible to the cameras and thus, impossible to keep track of. Instead, the player must pay attention to the left door. If the player sees his glowing red eyes and/or hears his laugh, they must close the left door and wait until they hear a thud to open the door again. His mechanic mirrors Nightmare's.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted
Nightmare Fredbear returns in the Night Terrors level.
Fredbear is a golden bear with a purple hat and bowtie. Just like the other animatronics, he is extremely withered. Some perceive that he has a second mouth located on his chest. The second button on his chest appears to be its nose, with two holes being its eyes. Others believe this to just be decayed suit with animatronic framework underneath. He has teeth that are extremely similar to Nightmare Chica.
- In the teaser image that appeared to be him, the "name" source code on the website (at the time) was "gsfecfbs", if decrypted, the words "Fredbear" appears, confirming that the animatronic in the image was indeed, Fredbear.
- The bear giving cake to the children in the cake mini game in the second game is more speculated to be Nightmare.
- People have said to have seen a pair of eyes in between his mouth that seem to belong to The Puppet.
- If the teaser image of him is brightened, two words "Or me?" can be seen.
- In addition to that, the words "Pro [blacked out] Me" can be seen next to his stomach. Some fans believe it to say "Protect Me", "Probably Me", or "Property of Me".
- Fredbear was first mentioned in the second game, with Phone Guy mentioning Fredbear's Family Diner on Night 5.
- There is a dark version of Fredbear, known simply as Nightmare.
- Fredbear in Night 5 and Night 6 (4 AM onwards) is more like a boss fight due to the fact he's one of the only animatronic and attacks from any direction the other being Nightmare.
- At first it was assumed that Nightmare Fredbear was haunting the Crying Child. However, in Five Nights at Freddy's: The Survival Logbook, its revealed that Mike was actually the one suffering from these nightmares.
- One theory states that Michael, being the older brother of the crying child, after witnessing Fredbear killing his little brother due to him, this left him traumatized and filled with guilt. This may explain why Nightmare Fredbear replaces every other Nightmare animatronic, and also being the hardest to survive against, because Fredbear has become Michael's greatest fear, or that Nightmare Fredbear represents the Crying Child seeking vengeance.
- If his laugh is sped up, it is actually the laughing of an older boy, although some theorists have stated it is a child crying.