|“||Cat Noir? Bad kitty! I'll never love you! I've always wanted to get rid of you! (Ladybug: You have weird dreams too!) (Cat Noir: My bad!) I am going to destroy you!||„|
|~ Nightmare Ladybug to Cat Noir and the real Ladybug.|
The Nightmare Ladybug is a one-shot character in the French superhero cartoon series Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, and one of the two major antagonists (alongside the Nightmare Adrien) in the series' episode "Sandboy". She is a alternate evil clone of Ladybug and the worst nightmare of Cat Noir, who was brought to life by Sandboy; one of Hawk Moth's akumatized villains.
Like her original counterpart, she was voiced by Anouck Hautbois in the French dubbed version and by Cristina Vee in the English dubbed version, the latter who also voiced Rei Hōōmaru in the English version of the 2013 anime Kill La Kill.
In contrast to her real counterpart, the Nightmare Ladybug is entirely villainous, hateful, arrogant, ruthless, sadistic, and psychopathic. Being a representation of Cat Noir's fear of Ladybug hating him, she utterly rejects his affections and seeks to get revenge on him by trying to destroy him in his dreams. When she was brought to life by Sandboy, the titular akumatized villain, she had an opportunity to be rid of Cat Noir and even the real Ladybug once and for all. However, she was unaware that she was risking her own life by attempting to destroy Cat Noir in real life, as she is a representation of Cat Noir's fear of Ladybug hating him. This means that she only exists because of Cat Noir, and if the she actually destroyed him, she would fade out of existence.
In "Sandboy", during a fight with the titular character, after Cat Noir mentions to Ladybug that losing his powers is not his greatest nightmare, the Nightmare Ladybug from Cat Noir's dreams appears out of nowhere on top of a building calling out his name. She rants about how much she hates him and wants to get rid of him once and for all. The Nightmare Ladybug calls on her Lucky Charm and receives a sword, which she starts attacking Cat Noir with. However, both the real Ladybug and Cat Noir manage to dodge both Sandboy and the Nightmare Ladybug.
The real Ladybug comes up with a plan. She and Cat Noir trick the Nightmare Ladybug into hitting her sword against a building rail edge and then use a piece of the sword that chips off to cut open Sandboy's pillow, freeing the akuma. Ladybug uses the Miraculous Ladybug to fix all the damage and then purifies the akuma.
Once everything is returned to normal, the Nightmare Ladybug is defeated by the Miraculous Ladybug while trying to get her sword out of the building rail, and then disappears from the real world for good. Before Cat Noir takes off, the real Ladybug asks him if he really thinks that she is as awful as his nightmare. However, Cat Noir assures her that that's not the case and takes off.
The Nightmare Ladybug's ultimate fate remains unknown. Although she may have "died" in the real world, her existence is likely still intact in Cat Noir's mind, but it's unlikely that she will try to harm Cat Noir in the real world again.
Like her original counterpart, Nightmare Ladybug is half-French and half-Chinese. She has light blue eyes, freckles, and black hair with blue highlights that she usually wears back in two pigtails with red bands. She wears a red suit with a black collar and black spots like her original counterpart. Above her hips, she wears her yo-yo around them with the string, and she wears a red mask with black spots. Her earrings become red with five black spots, and the bands holding her hair back become red ribbons. Her hair and her eyes become slightly bluer.
Powers and Abilities
Like her original counterpart, the Nightmare Ladybug has the same powers and abilities as Ladybug. However, she only used her powers to get her revenge on Cat Noir. In the episode, she used her Lucky Charm to summon a huge sword to attack Cat Noir and try to destroy him.
- Antibug, another evil counterpart to Ladybug also summoned a giant sword, in the episode of the same name. However it had a vastly different appearance from the one Nightmare Ladybug used.
- During the episode, it isn't made clear if the Nightmare Ladybug actually wanted to help Sandboy take the real Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculouses or if she was merely doing this indirectly and solely cared about eliminating them.
- The Nightmare Ladybug is one of the few villains in the series to actively try and kill a hero, Cat Noir, via attacking him with her sword.
- The Nightmare Ladybug's real name, Marinette Dupain-Cheng, is never mentioned throughout the episode (though, since she is a figment of Cat Noir's mind, who is unaware of Ladybug's real identity, this is understandable).
- The Nightmare Ladybug is the first villain in the series to ever die, at least in the real world, though her existence is still intact in Cat Noir's mind.
- Despite being a major antagonist of the episode, she had less screen time than Sandboy and the Nightmare Adrien, but more screen time than the Nightmare Dough and the Ghosts of the Order of the Guardians.
- The unnamed boy/Sandboy, one of Hawk Moth's akumatized villains, did not appear on the "Heroes' Day" special. It is possible that Hawk Moth forgot to use him for a second time wasn't able to or had no interest in using him again. Either way, the Nightmare Ladybug still most likely won't try to harm Cat Noir in the real world again.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir|
|Zak Storm: Super Pirate|