|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||As long as so many people believe we are doing terrible things, the monster will continue to believe we are doing terrible things. There is power in symbols, doctor. The old gods know this, and the old gods are bound by it. The Scarlet King does not have eyes to see brutality, does not have ears to hear screams, does not have a nose to smell blood. But the Scarlet King can sense fear, and we have given it fear. Fear alone is all that it ever required.||„|
|~ Dr. Oliver Targus about the Scarlet King in "Fear Alone".|
|“||I know that the Foundation does not approve of using the term, but it is still the case. The Stag is a god, and it is not a petty local god. It is not one of the mild gods of Earth, or some weaker spirit that is bound by the strength of man’s belief.||„|
|~ Consultant ██████ ████████ describing SCP-2845.|
The Old Gods, sometimes also known as the Low Elder Gods, are an overarching antagonistic faction of the universe of the SCP Foundation.
They play a major role in "Verse of an Endless Song", "Competitive Eschatology", and "The Trashfire" canons.
(Note: Due to the SCP Foundation-universe having no official canon, the Old Gods are a very loose concept within the mythos, though subtle connections exist in different tales and articles.)
Inspired by the Great Old Ones from H.P. Lovecraft (though also being based on real religions, myths, and folklore), the Old Gods are a loose pantheon of eldritch deities and among the most powerful beings in the multiverse, usually being beyond the comprehension of humans in terms of scale, power or motivation. Despite, unlike their Lovecraftian inspiration, it appears that humanity can, at least sometimes, hold up against the Old Gods.
An example for this is SCP-2845: The entity came to Earth on a comet and started to cause havoc, but with much effort, the Foundation, with the help of the Global Occult Coalition and at least another occult organization managed to contain the being with a six-step ritual.
The attitude towards humanity also varies from deity to deity. Some seem to have the interest to improve mankind (Mekhane), while others appear indifferent about them (SCP-3000), and others want to conquer and/or destroy all life (Scarlet King).
The Old Ones also have alliances and conflicts among themselves: Mekhane and Yaldabaoth appear to be opposite enemies, while many lesser gods, like Jeser or the Hanged King, serve stronger ones, such as the Scarlet King. It also speculated that Yaldabaoth for example is the aunt/uncle of the Scarlet King.
It is believed by certain cults, such as Sarkicism or the Chosen of God, that the old gods created the universe. The most well known gods are actually part of the Low Elder Gods as they are way less powerful than the High Elder Gods, similar in a way to the comparison between the Great Old Ones and the Outer Gods, being superior to the Brothers Death which are superior to the Low Elder Gods.
However, in other continuities the gods are depicted as not being physical ancient beings, but instead ideas which had come to life after humanity began believing in them, similar in a way to Tulpas. These gods in fact inhabit the noosphere, the human collective consciousness, in which they were created as a result of humanity, as seen with the Scarlet King, the Serpent, Mekhane/WAN and possibly SCP-682 and SCP-3125. The gods that appear directly to humans are in fact their physical projections as the gods don't possess a true form and cannot directly interact with the normal physical world, requiring worshipers and/or avatars in order to exist and affect humanity and the world.
In one tale, the Hanged King was able to achieve apotheosis only after his Ambassador convinced his entire Kingdom that after his death he would become a god following the numerous sacrifices he did. The same also happened to SCP-3000 which was originally just an abnormally large eel that became the Hindu god Anantashesha after a large number of people believed they were the same being. The Xia Dynasty believed that this was the case for the gods, their worship causing the manifestation of the gods, meaning that humanity and its beliefs are responsible for the creation and the manipulation of the gods, even retroactively changing the past to make those gods appear as if they always were there despite the truth.
List of Old Gods
Referred to as an Old God
- Scarlet King
- Hanged King
- The Factory
- Lord Goran
- King Worm
- Verdant Mage
- Unseelie Queen
Associated with other Old Gods
- Pangloss (associated with SCP-2845, the Scarlet King, Mekhane, and Yaldabaoth)
- Serpent (sibling of Mekhane)
- Sanna (previous "bride" of the Scarlet King)
- Saturn Deer (sibling of Pangloss)
- He Who Walks Beneath Dreams (associated with Pangloss)
- SCP-2439 (Scarlet King's Mind)
- SCP-2662 (father shown to be an Old God)
- SCP-3000 (sibling of the Serpent)
- SCP-6700-04 (associated with the Scarlet King, Mekhane and Yaldabaoth)
- Titania (associated with Mekhane and Yaldabaoth)
- Teran (associated with the Scarlet King, Mekhane and Yaldabaoth)
Called something similar
- SCP-426 (called as an "Eldritch Horror" known as "I, Who Will Be One With All")
- SCP-682 (referred to as an Elder God)
- White Sun (called "some eldritch entity from the 'Outer Dark', whatever that is besides Lovecraft's wet dream.")
- SCP-3004-1 (grouped with "The gods of the old world")
- SCP-3388 (referred to as an Elder God)
- SCP-4612-A (referred as an ancient creation god)
- SCP-4950 (referred to as "the Archon Lord")
- SCP-6091 (referred to as an Elder God)
- SCP-3125 (theorized to be the Fithist God)
- SCP-4043/SCP-6789 (referred to as Gaia)
- SCP-4315-2 (Lovecraft's actual gods)
- LSA-Brasil-01 (believed to be a Fithist angel)
- Zsar Magoth (referenced planets believed to be where the Old Gods lived)
Powerful beings serving the Old Gods
- Ambassador of Alagadda
- Grand Karcist Ion
- Robert Bumaro
- Black Lord of Alagadda
- Children of the Night
- Cousin Johnny
- Jasper (possibly)
- Mr. Redd
- Hgan (formerly)
Organizations & people serving the Old Gods
- Brazen Heart
- Chosen of God
- Children of the Scarlet King
- Church of the Broken God
- Fifth Church
- Order of the White Sun
- People of the Lie
- Adytum's Wake
- Although they are some of the most powerful beings in the multiverse, their power is seemingly inferior to that of the Pattern Screamers, who are even feared by these gods. However, that is up to headcanon, as there have been stories, such as "Beneath the Council", that portray the Pattern Screamers as weaker than the gods.
- Much like some mythologies, the gods are described as transcending gender, being neither male or female, but in most cases have been referred to using both male and female pronouns. This can be seen with Mekhane, Yaldabaoth, the Serpent and other gods, who have been referred to as both male and female and often displaying both characteristics. When he first met the Serpent, the Scarlet King took the appearance of a little girl.
- Other deities or god-like beings that have questionable affiliation with the Old Gods include: Srqnabotf, the Eucestodel, Eov-leusan, Jalakåra, the Judge of sea and river, Myran-leusan, Nesren-leusan, Rakmou-leusan, SCP-426, SCP-582, SCP-1108, SCP-1348, SCP-1541-1, SCP-1843, SCP-1902, SCP-2004, SCP-2257, SCP-2439, SCP-2670, SCP-2788, SCP-2950, SCP-3473, SCP-3547, SCP-4511, Sri Ahni, Taros'zedbreet, Tree Critter, Uron-leusan, Yorun-leusan, Zeyu-leusan, and other gods from differing mythologies.
- It is believed that a lot of the Old Gods come from a place that represents a sort of "nothing", the Scarlet King came from the "deep waters of the Darkness Below and the vaults of Darkness Above", Pangloss and Saturn Deer came from a great Nothingness, Yaldabaoth and Mekhanite came from the Great Abyss and Ma'tol and Xiolt-la came from Mother Void.
- In "The Leak" forum thread SCP-1741 was described as a reality show created by the elder gods.
- There are other beings created out the belief of humanity besides the gods, some of which include SCP-2615-A, ORIA's Djinn, SCP-4736 and Sloth's Pit's Legends.
Canon SCP Beings
Old Gods' Servants
SCPs In Video Games