|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||As long as so many people believe we are doing terrible things, the monster will continue to believe we are doing terrible things. There is power in symbols, doctor. The old gods know this, and the old gods are bound by it. The Scarlet King does not have eyes to see brutality, does not have ears to hear screams, does not have a nose to smell blood. But the Scarlet King can sense fear, and we have given it fear. Fear alone is all that it ever required.||„|
|~ Dr Oliver Targus about the Scarlet King.|
|“||I know that the Foundation does not approve of using the term, but it is still the case. The Stag is a god, and it is not a petty local god. It is not one of the mild gods of Earth, or some weaker spirit that is bound by the strength of man’s belief.||„|
|~ Consultant ██████ ████████ describing SCP-2845.|
The Old Gods, sometimes also known as the Low Elder Gods, are a loose pantheon of eldritch deities, many of which serve as major antagonists in the universe of the SCP Foundation.
(Note: Due to the SCP Foundation-universe having no official canon, the Old Gods are a very loose concept within the mythos, though subtle connections exist in different tales and articles)
Inspired by the Great Old Ones from H.P. Lovecraft (though also being based on real religions, myths and folklore), the Old Gods are among the most powerful beings in the multiverse, usually being beyond the comprehension of humans in terms of scale, power or motivation. Despite, unlike their Lovecraftian inspiration, it appears that humanity can, at least sometimes, hold up against the the Old Gods.
An example for this is SCP-2845: The entity came to Earth on a comet and started to cause havoc, but with much effort the Foundation, with the help of the Global Occult Coalition and at least another occult organisation managed to contain the being with a six-step ritual.
The attitude towards humanity also varies from deity to deity. Some seem to have an interest to improve mankind (Mekhane), while other appear indifferent about them (SCP-3000), while other want to conquer and/or destroy all life (Scarlet King).
The Old Ones also have alliances and conflicts among themselves: Mekhane and Yaldabaoth appear to be opposite enemies, while many lesser gods, like Jeser or the Hanged King, serve stronger ones, such as the Scarlet King. It also speculated that Yaldabaoth for example is the aunt of the Scarlet King.
List of Old Gods
- Although they are some of the most powerful beings in the multiverse, their power is seemingly inferior to that of the Pattern Screamers, who are even feared by these gods.
- It is unclear if SCP-343, a being believed to be the Abrahamic God, is affiliated with the Old Gods.
- It is also unclear if Srqnabotf, a corn deity who is called "THE god" by SCP-1846, is affiliated with the Old Gods.
- Other deities or god-like beings that have questionable affiliation with the Old Gods include: the Entity, Eucestodiel, Eov-leusan, Jalakåra, Myran-leusan, Nesren-leusan, Rakmou-leusan, Sauel, SCP-001, SCP-426, SCP-582, SCP-1108, SCP-1541-1, SCP-1843, SCP-1902, SCP-2004, SCP-2257, SCP-2439, SCP-2670, SCP-2788, SCP-2950, SCP-3473, SCP-3547, SCP-4511, Taros'zedbreet, Tree Critter, Uron-leusan, Yorun-leusan, Zeyu-leusan, and other gods from differing mythologies.
- A lot of Old Gods come from an entity that represents a sort of "nothing", the Scarlet King came from the "deep waters of the Darkness Below and the vaults of Darkness Above", Pangloss and Saturn Deer came from a great Nothingness, and Ma'tol and Xiolt-la came from Mother Void.