|“||Where there is light, there will always be shadow!||„|
|~ The Overlord battling Lloyd.|
The Overlord is a major antagonist in the LEGO Ninjago franchise, serving as the main antagonist of both the second half of the Ninjago: Legacy of the Green Ninja season and the Ninjago: Rebooted season. He is an immensely powerful evil being and the creator of the Stone Army.
He was voiced by Scott McNeil, who also played Tall Boy in Riverdale.
One day, the Overlord challenged the First Spinjitzu Master to a battle for control of Ninjago.
The battle eventually balanced the forces of light and darkness, preventing the Overlord for thousands of years.
During the First half of Ninjago: Rebooted, he took the form of a digital virus and covers the technology (such as Cyrus Borg's Mech Chair) with a purple background and two red eyes.
In his form as the Golden Master, the Overlord's torso has a detailed gold colored skeleton with dark matter inside it, a transparent purple cape, golden armor, a toothy mouth with a purple color inside, purple eyes, and a black helmet.
Powers and Abilities
- Umbrakinesis - It grants the user to manipulate, control, and shape Darkness (also Shadow).
- Umbrakinetic Flight - It allows the user their elemental power to propel themselves up. As seen in "Return of the Overlord," the Overlord used this ability to combat against Lloyd Garmadon by using it as a advantage to quickly head back into the battle.
- Darkness Materialization: the Overlord was able to create his own Stone Army.
- Absolute Darkness - It allows the user to create a field of absolute impenetrable darkness. As seen in "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master," the Overlord (in Dragon form) trapped Lloyd inside the sphere of darkness.
- Darkness Breath - Only displayed by the Overlord, the user can breath darkness and shadow commonly to attack or corrupt people.
- Corruption Inducement - Gives the user the ability to corrupt people and their environment (as displayed by the Garmatron and the Overlord's dark breath attack). Symptoms of corruption include destruction of morality, glowing purple eyes, and sickly pale grey skin.
- Dark Beam Emission - Only displayed by the Overlord, the user can projects beams of darkness, usually to attack an adversary.
- Shadow Ball Projection - The user can generate balls of darkness, commonly to trap or attack an adversary.
- Darkness Tentacles - Allows the user to create tentacles of darkness. In the episode Rise of the Spinjitzu Master, the Overlord creates the tentacles to collect energy so he and the Stone Army invade Ninjago.
- Possession - he can possess a person, as he did with Garmadon.
- Immortality - since it is an entity and a person, he can be alive, in addition to what is necessary so that the balance of Light / Darkness is well.
- He is the most powerful villain in his Golden Master form.
- His minifigure has sloped legs, instead of a cape as shown in the television series.
- According to Tommy Andreasen on Twitter, the Overlord is the most powerful antagonist in the series.
- Although he is extremely ancient, he is not the first evil to come into existence in the realms; the Oni are, though he is Ninjago's original evil and the First Spinjitzu Master's arch-enemy.
- The Overlord is the only character in Ninjago who is immortal.
- The Overlord views the environment with thermal vision in his "spirit" form.
- In the show, the Ninja mistook his titles twice for characters they were already familiar with: Dark Lord (they thought it referred to Garmadon) and Golden Master (the Ninja mistook Lloyd for being the Golden Master).
- The Overlord is the manifestation of darkness and evil, but he needs a body to use his powers. For instance, he was only able to use Darkness while he possessed Garmadon. When his transformation into his original form was complete he could use his full powers. In his Golden Master form, he had both Darkness and the Golden Power.
- The Overlord's spirit being indestructible may be due to him being part of the balance. Misako said that "in order for there to be light, there must be shadow," and since the Overlord is the main embodiment of shadow, he's part of the balance.
- Although his fight with Zane may have destroyed his Golden Master body, it didn't necessarily destroy his spirit (since the Ultimate Spinjitzu Master couldn't do this either).
- The Overlord and Garmadon are the only villains to be the main antagonist in more than one season.
- The Overlord and the First Spinjitzu Master were the first Elemental Masters in the realm of Ninjago.
- A statue of his dragon form was part of the Ninja exhibit at the Ninjago Museum of History.
- He appears in LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin only in his Garmadon possessed form as an unlockable character.
- The First Spinjitzu Master, Firstbourne, and the Overlord are the three most powerful characters in the series.
- According to Misako, the Overlord's original form is a Dragon.
- He is the first villain to use Spinjitzu against the Ninja.
- It was leaked from a picture that the Overlord will be getting his second figure in the 2019 sets. It appears to be a brand new design, with four arms and ghostly tail.
- He can regenerate the rest of himself in any form as a virus and even a person.
- He is the Elemental Master of Darkness.