Ozzy and Strut are the main antagonists of The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure. They are a pair of greedy struthiomimus. Ozzy is the leader, and Strut (his younger brother) is the comic relief. Ozzy has a craving for eggs, while Strut was formerly a vegetarian. This is an irritation to Ozzy, as he is constantly seen trying to get Strut to eat eggs. However, the scenario appears to subtly interpret these eggs as a prehistoric form of drugs, making Ozzy seem like an addict.
Ozzy was voiced by Jeff Bennett (who later voiced Ichy in The Land Before Time IV: Journey through the Mists and also voiced Owen Burnett and Malibu in Gargoyles), while Strut was voiced by Rob Paulsen (who also voiced Helios in Gargoyles).
Ozzy and Strut became amateurish villains who showed up in the Great Valley in hopes of stealing eggs. However, the more relaxed Strut was ready to eat plants in the first place (much to Ozzy's fury). It was because of this duo's failed attempt at stealing an egg from Ducky's family's nest, that the five kids (Littlefoot, Cera, Petrie, Ducky, and Spike) found Chomper's egg in "The Mysterious Beyond", mistaking it for Ducky's unhatched sibling. Ozzy and Strut were vengeful of Littlefoot and the gang because if it wasn’t for them, Ducky's unhatched little brother or sister would have been their supper. However, during a landslide that happened while Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike were pursuing them, Strut lost the egg they were stealing, and to cover with Ozzy later on, he fibbed that the five kids were stealing it from them to avoid his brother's wrath. Ozzy thought the egg that contained Chomper was the egg that they attempted to steal, and thus, when Cera told him the egg hatched, he was even more vengeful towards Littlefoot and the gang.
The two characters seem to have a knack for getting into trouble. Ozzy tried to get an egg from a nest of a mother Maiasaura in the first place. And yet, the egg was replaced with a rock (thrown by Littlefoot and his companions) and Ozzy --still thinking he had the egg-- bit into it. Then the mother Maiasaura asked the gang to stop rolling rocks down the hill because her nest was there. Later, when they unsuccessfully took one of Ducky's unhatched siblings, they were unfatally crushed under a mountain of rocks. In the middle of the film, they were chased off of a cliff when they were about to steal eggs from a mother Pteranodon. While chasing Littlefoot and his friends across a tree-bridge during an eruption by the Smoking Mountain, Ozzy attempts to cross, but the lava sets the tree on fire, and he falls. Strut jumps off after him.
Near the end of the film, they’re seen for the last time whenever they’re shown to have survived their fall and go after Littlefoot, who they successfully catch and kidnap. To get revenge on him for meddling with their plans, they plan to "get rid of him once and for all" by throwing him off the Great Wall of the Great Valley (a plan hatched by Strut, much to Ozzy's shock and delight as he hadn’t expected Strut to think of something so wicked). However, Chomper, hearing Littlefoot's cries for help, manages to find his friend just as Ozzy and Strut (trying to dispense with Littlefoot permanently by throwing him off the Great Wall) are about to carry out their murderous plan. However, his attempt to rescue Littlefoot fails. Because Strut manages to grab him by the throat and begin strangling him, the new plan being to kill Chomper in addition. Before Strut tries to throw Chomper off the Great Wall too, Ozzy (to Chomper) says to him that he liked him better when he was an egg (meaning that he liked him better before he hatched so he could eat his egg). However, Chomper's parents fortunately rescued Chomper and unknowingly did the same with Littlefoot. Finally, Ozzy and Strut were chased out of the Great Valley and into the Mysterious Beyond by Chomper's infuriated parents (after rescuing both their kid Chomper and Littlefoot) who saw that the Oviraptors (egg stealers) were nearly harming the children. So therefore, Chomper's parents chase the Oviraptors (Ozzy and Strut) preventing anybody in the Great Valley from getting hurt. Whether or not they were eaten remains unknown, as neither of them have been seen since.
They may have also debatably appeared in The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists in the Oviraptor herd who are seen leaping past Cera and into the river. Also during the story about the Land of Mists, two Oviraptors are seen running across the water that look exactly like Ozzy and Strut, which could possibly be them. Although this is highly unlikely, as they would have tried to harm or even slaughter Cera the moment that they caught sight of her.
At the outset of the film, Ozzy was clearly the brainier, more merciless of the two brothers. He was the apparent leader of the duo in addition. He kept a sharp focus on their main goal, which was devouring all of the eggs that they could. He was also highly testy, with a temper to match said impatience, as he had no problem striking Strut when he said something that set him off. However, it can be assumed that, in spite of his aggravation with Strut, he still cared deeply for his sibling, since he was trying to "wean" him off vegetation and onto eggs because he wanted him to grow up and be able to survive the way that they should. As he demonstrated, he was a very vengeful dinosaur who could hold a grudge easily as well, based on his addiction to exacting revenge on Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike for stopping the five of them from devouring the egg from Ducky's family's nest. As a matter of fact, his vengeance rose to murderous levels very quickly, as shown by his agreement with Strut's last plan for Littlefoot.
In the meantime, Strut came across as simpler and faint-hearted than Ozzy. He was more even-tempered and relaxed in addition, at first, not getting mad all that easily. He also showed himself to be more passive, as he did not have any agency when it came to stealing eggs and had to rely on Ozzy to motivate him into it. He was also attentive, as he tended to recoil from Ozzy's verbal attacks and scoldings and didn’t seem to fight back against any of the physical abuse that he took from his sibling. He was so fearful of Ozzy, in fact, that after losing Ducky's family's egg, he actually fibbed to Ozzy about who truly cost them said egg to keep himself from getting hurt by him even more. That said, as the movie progressed, it was clear that Ozzy's wickedness started to rub off on him, as his own level of vengeance against the five young heroes eventually began to grow, as well, and he got just as fidgety to take revenge on them as Ozzy, as shown by him laughing wickedly at them whenever they cornered them near the tree-bridge. It can even be considered that he got even more sinister than his sibling, given that he was the one who, upon their kidnapping of Littlefoot, very contentedly and eagerly suggested slaughtering him by throwing him off the Great Wall, even surprising his own sibling (although pleasantly so) with how sinister he became by that point. He also thought nothing of strangling Chomper when he tried and failed to rescue Littlefoot from him and Ozzy, showing that even being a kid would not spare someone from his wrath.
In the end, it can be said that Ozzy was wicked from their very first appearance, while Strut slowly, gradually grew into almost as wicked of a villain as he was (possibly even more so) by the end.
- Ozzy and Strut are two of the only Land Before Time villains to speak, the others being Hyp, Mutt, Nod, Ichy, Dil, Pterano, Rinkus, and Sierra.
- They are also two of the few Land Before Time villains to utter evil laughs, with Ozzy doing so just as they are about to eat the egg from Ducky's family's nest, and Strut doing so just as they ambush Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike near the tree-bridge.
- Ozzy and Strut share some similarities to Ichy and Dil in terms of their dynamic, as one is clearly the leader (Ozzy/Ichy), and the other is the follower (Strut/Dil). However, they are also different in that Ichy was evil to his very core, while Dil was more pragmatic than inherently evil, simply acting according to what occurred to her naturally as a predator, whereas Ozzy and Strut were both completely evil (even though Strut had to grow into it throughout the events of the movie).
- It has been a huge debate about what the real-life Struthiomimus ate if it was really an omnivore. Strut shows such symptoms of being an omnivore after favoring Ozzy to eat plants instead.
- In reality, the real dinosaur Oviraptor was an omnivore (meaning it ate both meat and plants, in addition to dinosaur eggs).
- Ozzy's name and behavior is a pun to Oviraptor, a real-life theropod that was once believed to have preyed on dinosaur eggs.
- However, the brothers are likely to be an Oviraptor because they ate eggs in said movie.
- Their defeat is similar to Dil's, as they were chased by a Sharptooth, and it is unknown if they were killed by said Sharptooth.
- Strut has the same voice and accent as Pinky from the Animaniacs and Pinky and The Brain franchise possibly because they both have the same voice actor.
- Ozzy and Strut have British accents; however, Struthiomimus fossils have never been found in England or outside of North America at all. On the other hand, Hyp is a Hypsilophodon, whose fossils have been found in England (on the Isle of Wight, specifically), yet he and his father lack British accents. Rinkus, however, is a Rhamphorhynchus, whose fossils have also been found in England, and he does have a British accent.
- Ozzy and Strut are the first villains in the Land Before Time film series to be defeated by a Sharptooth.