This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Proud Fatui comrades, I know your hearts harbor both the fires of rage and the cold of eternal winter. Each one of us has borne witness to the absurd callousness of the foundational principles of this world. So, let us don our masks in mockery of the world as we go forth and rewrite the rules of destiny.||„|
|~ Pierro to the Fatui.|
|“||The sages think themselves to be all-knowing, but we alone are wise to the virtue in those acts of folly. In this war, not even a single pawn may be spared... Because on this chessboard, "checkmate" is not where the game ends.||„|
|~ Pierro regarding the Fatui's plans.|
Pierro, also known by his codename The Jester, is the secondary antagonist of the 2020 action role-playing fantasy video game Genshin Impact.
Pierro was the First of the Fatui to swear allegiance to the Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya and her plan to rebel against the Gods of Teyvat. Having experienced great loss at the hands of the divine in his past, the Jester sought to rid Teyvat of the Gods. He was the First of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers that acted as the Tsaritsa's lieutenants in the Fatui, and was personally responsible for the recruitment of several other Harbingers.
Pierro was a tall, elderly man with a strong build, an angular face, and light blue eyes that had diamond-shaped pupils. His white hair was swept back off his face and he sported a matching chinstrap beard. The right side of his face was covered by an angular black mask that featured gold engravings and an upwards-curving dark blue engraving where his eye would be. He also wore a single, crystal blue earring on his right ear. During the funeral of La Signora, the Jester wore a double-breasted white overcoat with dark blue lapels and a collar of black fur.
Pierro was originally an academic in an unknown nation whose inferiority in comparison to his colleagues made him fall out of favor with the nation's ruler. His peers eventually caused a catastrophe of some sort that he failed to stop, bringing destruction to the nation. The event led him to develop a hatred for the divine, and he allied with the Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya in the hopes of rebelling against the Gods. He was the first of the Fatui, the religious militant group that enacted the Tsaritsa's will across Teyvat where he became the 1st of the Fatui Harbingers.
Recruiting the Harbingers
|“||You astound me. You have but a human body, and yet you carry such a power within you. You claim that you have no tears left to cry, no blood left to shed, but surely this is because you have filled yourself with fire... Though your body has long been covered in scars, fierce flames are all that now may flow, like molten iron, from your eyes and your wounds. But we appear to have gotten off-topic. The reason I followed the trail of smoke and tracked you down is that I wish to strike a deal with you... Let the flames that now devour you be extinguished by the grace of Her Majesty. What say you?||„|
|~ The Jester offering the Crimson Witch a position in the Fatui.|
At some point Pierro tracked down a woman named Rosalyne-Kruzchka Lohefalter, known infamously as the "Crimson Witch of Flames." Lohefalter possessed the power to produce Pyro without a Vision, although as the rage of her past experiences burned her heart so too did the flames she created. As her own flames threatened to destroy her heart, the Jester approached her and offered her a place in the Fatui. Lohefalter became the Eighth of the Fatui Harbingers under the name La Signora, and was given a Cryo Delusion by Pierro to suppress her natural abilities and rage.
The Jester later heard rumors of a student at Sumeru Academia in the foreign nation Sumeru who had been denounced as a heretic for his theorems on "enhanced humans." Curious, Pierro met with the student who claimed that given the right facilities he could manufacture a God-like being for the Fatui. The Jester agreed to the student's offer, and the student became a Fatui Harbinger known as Il Dottore. Sometime later, Pierro attended the investiture of the Eleventh Harbinger Tartaglia where he personally pinned an Electro Delusion on the younger Harbinger as the Tsaritsa watched on.
|“||What was the Jester thinking? He must have had some inkling of what we might discover on this mission... Would it really have been so difficult to give me a little forewarning?||„|
|~ Scaramouche after receiving his vision.|
Eventually, the Jester tasked the Sixth Harbinger Scaramouche with leading a covert investigation into a series of meteorite strikes landing in the foreign nations Mondstadt and Liyue. Unbeknownst to Scaramouche at the time, Pierro was somewhat in the knowhow of what his junior colleague would discover. Ultimately, Scaramouche experienced a vision that made him realize that the sky and the stars were both a "gigantic hoax."
Sometime later, Pierro orchestrated a plot that would strengthen the Fatui's presence in the archipelago nation Inazuma by sowing chaos and creating a market for their Delusions. He sent La Signora to Inazuma as a diplomat in the hopes that she would be able to influence the God of Eternity Baal (who ruled the nation) into passing a law called the Vision Hunt Decree that would demand all Inazuman citizens hand their Visions over to the authorities. As the Fatui had hoped, the introduction of the Vision Hunt Decree led to a civil war between Baal's loyalists and a small resistance faction based on Watatsumi Island.
The Fatui then created a Delusion Factory on Inazuma's Yashiori Island where they began manufacturing Delusions under the supervision of Scaramouche. They gave the Delusions to the belliguered Watatsumi Army, creating a demand for them. Ultimately however, the Fatui's plot was unveiled by a Traveler and the Vision Hunt Decree was abolished. Signora was executed by the God of Eternity and Scaramouche cut off contact with the Fatui. Nathan, a Fatui agent sent personally by Pierro to infiltrate the resistance and ensure the continuosation of the war, was also discovered and taken into custody.
The Fatui forces later withdrew from Inazuma for the most part. Upon the recommendation of a letter sent by Nathan prior to his capture, the Jester sent a Fatui Intelligence Officer named Borenka to extract a few of Baal's soldiers who were interested in joining the Fatui cause. However, Pierro's scheme was foiled once again by the Traveler.
Funeral of The Fair Lady
|“||It's time to end tonight's foolish theatrics. Right now, you have no captive audience. Let every worthy sacrifice be carved in ice, and with this nation endure for all time. In the name of Her Majesty, the Tsaritsa, we will seize authority from the gods... Absolute peace. Such is the gift from the Tsaritsa, such is Her Majesty's benevolence. Now you rest in this coffin, encased in layer upon layer of ice. But, Rosalyne, I promise you... Your final resting place will be the entirety of the "Old World"...||„|
|~ The Jester's promise to La Signora.|
Pierro, alongside the other Fatui Harbingers, later convened in a cathedral in Snezhnaya to honor the life of La Signora. The other Harbingers bickered among themselves and discussed the ongoing hunt for Scaramouche, prompting the Jester to silence them and remind his comrades that their feuding served no purpose at a funeral. As Rosalyne's coffin was encased in ice, Pierro gave a speech in which he vowed the Fatui would honor her sacrifice by succeeding in their mission to seize authority from the gods.
Powers & Abilities
- Political Influence: Pierro, as one of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers, was invested with supreme executive authority by the Tsaritsa. The Jester was permitted to freely expend vast resources and command scores of Fatui in pursuit of the Cryo Archon's goals, and answered directly to the Tsaritsa. His status as a Fatui Harbinger and Snezhnayan diplomat also gave Pierro a level of diplomatic immunity that meant other nations couldn't persecute him without causing tension between itself and Snezhnaya.
- Delusions: Like every Fatui Harbinger, Pierro had a Delusion in his possession given to him by Her Majesty the Tsaritsa. Delusions were items similar to Visions, but were manufactured by the Fatui and only bestowed upon the worthiest of Fatuus. Like Visions, Delusions allowed their users to harness elemental power. Although they were more powerful than Visions, Delusions were also more unstable and drained the user's life force over time. The Jester owned multiple Delusions, and even bestowed some on those he deemed worthy such as La Signora.
- The fallen nation that Pierro once belonged to could be Khaenri'ah, a technologically-advanced subterranean nation governed by humanity rather than the Gods. Khaenri'ah practiced the Art of Khemia, an advanced form of Alchemy that supposedly led to the Gods of Teyvat attacking and decimating the nation. Not only does Khaenri'ah fit the description of Pierro's nation, but it would also explain the Jester's hatred for the divine. Additionally, much like other known former denizens of Khaenri'ah, namely Dainsleif and Kaeya Alberich, Pierro's eyes had diamond-shaped pupils with the right eye being covered.
- Like the other Fatui Harbingers, Pierro's name and alias are derived from a stock character in commedia dell'arte, a form of traditional Italian pantomime theater characterized by its masked characters and representation of fixed social types. In commedia dell-arte, Pierrot was a sad clown whose heart was broken by a character named Columbine after she left him for Harlequin. Pierrot was characterized as a naïve fool who was trusting despite the pranks frequently pulled on him.
- Prior to Version 1.5 of Genshin Impact, Pierro was referred to as "Pedrolino" in background text instead of "The Jester." Pedrolino was also the name of a stock character in commedia dell'arte, a wily servant who shared similarities with Pierrot.
A Post-Honkai Odyssey
Other Human Factions
Red Fang Gang