|“||Peppy, long time, no see.||„|
|~ Pigma taunts Peppy as he makes his entrance in the Enter Star Wolf stage of Star Fox 64.|
|“||Daddy screamed REAL good, before he DIED!||„|
|~ Pigma taunts Fox as he makes his entrance in Bolse.|
|“||I'll do you fast, Peppy ol' pal.||„|
|~ Pigma taunts Peppy when he tries to shoot him down.|
|“||MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD! AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!||„|
|~ Pigma suffers his breakdown as he gets shot down.|
Pigma Dengar is a major antagonist in the Star Fox series. Despite being a mere soldier of Andross at first and later a small-time criminal, he played a large part in the past of Star Fox as a traitor. He is also Peppy Hare's former ally and his supposed rival. Pigma also used to be a Star Wolf team, but wore out his welcome and Wolf O'Donnell kicked him out as Pigma focused his time on money.
He was voiced by David Frederick White in all of his appearances.
Pigma is an exceptionally greedy miser who does not care who he hurts so long as he ends up with a large paycheck in the end. He is also extremely sadistic, as evidenced by his claim of "Daddy screamed real good before he died!".
Another example of his sadism is how he wholeheartedly and with delight tried to shoot down his former ally Peppy without any apparent hesitation, although he did vow to "do [Peppy] fast" during the encounters with Star Fox at Fichina and Bolse.
He did not even care much for his teammates; he willingly betrayed James for the money and perhaps would have done the same to Star Wolf had he been given the chance (unless his path in Command is believed to be canon, in which case he did have some affection for his teammates).
The Nintendo Power guide and Star Fox 64 manga also imply that Pigma is the reason for Fox and Wolf's rivalry in the first place. During the Aparoid Invasion, although still his usual greedy self, it is also shown that Pigma laughs frequently, hinting at a severe decrease in his sanity since the Lylat Wars. Peppy notes that Pigma was a very cunning wingmate when saying "Just like Pigma.".
Pigma never missed a trick and was shown to be intelligent by deducing the Core Memory's value when Fox protested against him taking it. Pigma's trophy in the fourth Super Smash Bros title also claims that he is a shameless mechanic who had a hand in the Wolfen's design, which alludes to him saying "You can't beat me! I've got a better ship!" when his ship is attacked in Star Fox 64 and Zero, and how he voices disbelief when KO'ed in Venom.
Pigma is one of the most rotund characters in the Star Fox franchise. He has pinkish-orange skin and white eyes. He wears a black mask and pink and tan space suit (hinting pink may be one of his favourite colours). When he pilots the Wolfen II, he wears red electronic goggles. He also has red eyes when he becomes an Aparoid mutant. The three claws on his forehead are implied to be from Wolf.
In the past, he was once part of the original Star Fox, but during a mission to find Andross with James, Fox's father, and Peppy Hare, his greed makes him betray them both and getting James killed. Peppy barely escapes and tells Fox the news. From this point onwards, Pigma became part of Star Wolf.
Star Fox 64
During the events of Star Fox 64, he and Star Wolf take on Star Fox multiple times, Pigma taking on Peppy mostly. After Andross' death, Pigma was kicked out because of his greed and unreliability while Andrew resigned.
Star Fox Assault
In Star Fox Assault, he returns as the secondary antagonist who mostly antagonized Star Fox as a thief and a military type. Eventually, though, he was brainwashed and assimilated into an Aparoid. Though he eventually met his fate and seemingly dies.
Star Fox Command
In Star Fox Command, he is somewhat revived as a metal cube that can barely comprehend normal speech. Here, he shows some slight loyalty to Star Wolf, but ultimately tries to kill them along with Star Fox. In the end, he finally met his fate and died off.
Star Fox 64 and Star Fox 64 3D
Pigma attacks by trailing behind the player and attacking in Star Fox 64. He does not change his attack pattern much when he gets to low health, but when he and his teammates attack for the final time, they have more HP.
Star Fox: Assault
Pigma undergoes an extreme overhaul in battle patterns in Star Fox: Assault. This is because he was infected by the Aparoids, and the Pigmaparoid is born as a result. It is the boss of the fifth stage, The Aparoid Menace.
During phase 1, the Pigmaparoid attacks by launching asteroids, firing missiles, and trying to punch the player. After it loses all six arms, it will enter phase two, where the boss launches bombs from the slots that circle the centre. The centre must be attacked constantly, but the Pigmaparoid can retaliate by firing a large laser that can be avoided if Fox steers his ship wildly. After enough damage, the Pigmaparoid goes down.
Super Smash Bros.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Pigma appears as a sticker, boosting arm attacks for Fox, Falco, and Wolf. In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, Pigma appears as a trophy that can be obtained in both versions. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pigma is a support spirit that increases shooting attacks. His Spirit Battle is against Wario and Wolf, where Wario runs away from fighting, as his basis sometimes does, and gets faster as he takes more damage.
Names in Other Languages
- Latin: Porcuma Sūs Dengar (Pigma earned his first name, Porcuma, from the Latin term Dogma (a masculine first declension noun (Genitive Dogmae) that means "tenet" or "opinion", from the neuter third declension Greek noun Dogma (Gen. Dogmatos)) and Porcus (pig, swine). His middle name, Sūs, comes from the Latin Sūs, and it retains its declension pattern, but is masculine, while his last name, Dengar, comes from the Star Wars character who has the same name and is a bounty hunter. It is third declension I-stem, with the base being Dengār-, but since it is masculine in this case, you can say it is irregular. (Accusative singular Dengārim (not "Dengar" again), Nominative and Vocative plurals Dengārēs (not "Dengāria"), Accusative plural Dengārīs (not "Dengaria").)
- Spanish: Cerma Dengar (The name Cerma is first declension masculine, from the Spanish term Cerdo (pig) and the Latin Dogma (opinion). Dengar comes from the Star Wars character Dengar, and is third declension again.)
- Portuguese: Suíma Dengar (Suíma comes from the Portuguese term Suíno (pig, from Latin Sūs (pig)) and Dogma (opinion), while Dengar comes from the Star Wars character Dengar.
- French: Porcume Dengar (Same origin as his Latin name, but with no middle name.)
- Italian: Pórcuma Déngar (Porcuma is a first declension masculine noun (thus with nominative plural Porcumi) coming from Latin Porcus (pig, cf Italian Porco) and Greek Dogma (opinion). Dengar again comes from the Star Wars Bounty Hunter Dengar and is a third declension I-stem noun.)