- NOTE: For the book version of this character, click here.
|“||Odin help us...||„|
|~ Stoick upon seeing the Red Death.|
The Red Death is the main antagonist of DreamWorks' 19th full-length animated feature film How to Train Your Dragon based on the book adaptation, a major antagonist of the two video games Dragons: Rise of Berk and School of Dragons and a posthumous antagonist of the rest of the DreamWorks franchise.
She is the tyrannical, misanthropic and ravenous queen of the dragon race, who urges to enslave the humans and dragons into bestowing every edibility to her. She was eventually defeated when Toothless showed Stoick the way to her lair.
Her vocal sound effects were provided by Frank Welker, who also made the sound effects of Max 3000 in Man's Best Friend, Rudy in Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Sharptooth in The Land Before Time, Ludmilla in Bartok the Magnificent, Sabor in Tarzan, Mor'du in Brave and the Harvesters in the 1996 film Independence Day.
The Red Death first appears when Hiccup, Toothless, and Astrid discover the Dragon's nest, feasting off what her servants feed her. After a Gronckle drops a tiny piece of fish to the Red Death, she emerges and devours the dragon. However, the Red Death spots Hiccup and his friends when she sees that Toothless has contributed nothing and has humans on his back, but they manage to escape.
The Red Death appears again when Stoick and his vikings attack the Dragon's nest. She attacks the vikings and destroys their ships in the process. Fortunately, Hiccup and his friends arrive and while Hiccup's friends distract the Red Death, he and Stoick save Toothless from drowning as he was caged on one of the sinking ships. Hiccup and Toothless then drive the Red Death into the clouds and conceals Toothless' form. Toothless fires several plasma blasts at the Red Death's wings but they don't have an effect on the monster dragon. Enraged, the Red Death shoots fire in all directions around herself and manages to inflame Toothless's tail. Using as much time as they had left, Hiccup and Toothless lead the Red Death out of the clouds and allowed her to chase them until she attempted to deliver a fatal blow at them. However, Toothless fired a plasma blast down her throat, lighting her insides ablaze. The dragon's wings are ripped apart, causing her to fall to the ground and resulting an explosion, killing the Red Death for good.
The Red Death primarily uses her enlarged nostrils and hearing in order to hunt down her prey. Her skull is heavily armored and she has a tail specifically designed to smash into objects. She has been shown to have an incredible speed in flight despite her size, being able to keep up with Toothless for long amounts of time. The dragon also does not have a blind spot, due to her having six eyes instead of two. The Red Death's flame jets are enormous and are powerful enough to take down an entire Viking fleet of ships in just one breath. Like other dragons, however, the Red Death cannot hunt efficiently if her wings are damaged and she is just as susceptible to fire on her insides.
Film Developer Description
"This ultimate monster, seen pursuing Toothless and Hiccup, is the most vicious. According to legend, she lives 2,000 years and, before she dies, lays 3,000 eggs. The hatchlings fight each other to the death, a process that can take up to 100 years, until only one survives. "All dragons have a blind spot," Sanders says. "Except this one. That is one reason we gave him six eyes instead of two. The other reason is that we wanted him to be just generally upsetting. This one is our Godzilla.""
- The Red Death has the distinction of being the only main antagonist from the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy to be a dragon and female. Drago Bludvist and Grimmel the Grisly, her successors, were both male humans.
- The Red Death is the first Dragon in the series to actually be somewhat evil. The second is the Muddy Bewilderbeast and third being the Deathgrippers. However, unlike the Muddy Bewilderbeast who redeemed himself after his master Drago Bludvist's defeat, the Red Death never redeemed herself, and in the Deathgrippers case, Grimmel drugged them with their own venom (though, it's likely that they were already dangerous before Grimmel brainwashed them).
- Despite being the main antagonist, the Red Death only had around from 2 to 3 minutes of screen-time.
- The Red Death’s Death scene is, without a doubt, one of the most violent, painful, gruesome and agonising deaths in the entirety of Dreamworks’ history; She is blown up and torn apart from the inside once Toothless shoots a fireball into her mouth causing her methane fuel to ignite.