|~ Buck when Rudy makes his entrance.|
|“||I call him… Rudy!||„|
|~ Buck telling the Herd about his first experience with Rudy, when the latter swallowed his rival but Buck escaped.|
Rudy is the main antagonist of Blue Sky Studio's 5th feature film Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. He is a rogue albino Baryonyx and Buck's arch-rival who sought to kill Buck in revenge for knocking out one of his teeth.
His vocal sound effects were provided by Frank Welker, who also made the sound effects of Harvesters in Independance Day, Mor'du in Brave, Sharptooth in The Land Before Time, Max 3000 in Man's Best Friend, Ludmilla in Bartok the Magnificent, Green Death in How to Train Your Dragon and Sabor in Tarzan.
Rudy is an aggressive, devastating and bloodthirsty opponent in the eyes of Buck and the other dinosaurs. Vicious in nature (even more than his rivals), Rudy was constantly on the hunt and quick to attack others. Few creatures were brave enough to attack Rudy, though some, such as Buck and Momma, would step up to face him if forced to.
Rudy is a gigantic albino Baryonyx with red eyes and long jaws. He has sharp claws on his hands and feet as well as sharp teeth, missing one that Buck knocked out while escaping.
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Before the film takes place, Rudy attacks Buck the weasel, scratching out his right eye. He then tries to eat Buck, but before he can swallow him, Buck manages to escape the dinosaur's throat, and rockets out of the dinosaur's mouth, knocking out one of his teeth.
During the movie until the climax, Rudy was only seen in the shadows to show his evilness and massive appearance. He follows the tracks of Buck and the herd, planning to ambush them at the right moment. Buck (as well as Momma) occasionally hear his loud roars coming from the forest. Rudy manages to catch up with Sid after he is accidentally left behind by Momma. The terrified sloth is able to make his escape from Rudy's wrath by running into an obsidian river. Before walking away, Rudy stomps on the ground, causing the lava underneath to reemerge and trap Sid, only for the sloth to be saved by Buck and the possums just after falling down a lava waterfall.
At the end of the movie, once Sid is saved, Rudy ambushes Buck, Sid, Manny, Ellie, Diego, the possums, and Ellie's newborn baby Peaches inside the cave entrance they used to travel to the dinosaur world and attempts to kill them all. Buck distracts Rudy while Manny, Diego, and Sid proceed to tie the dinosaur up with vines. However, Sid accidentally trips over a vine, allowing Rudy to get back up and break free from the vines. Before Rudy is able to finish off Sid, Momma, in a timely arrival, charges into Rudy and pushes him against a rock structure and off a nearby cliff, sending him plummeting down to his apparent death. Buck is shown to feel sorrow for Rudy, because the only challenge in his life was gone. However, it is later shown that Rudy survived the fall, and continues his feud with Buck, who starts to ride him (much to Rudy's chagrin and frustration).
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Rudy and his heroic rival Buck make a cameo appearance in Ice Age: Continental Drift and Scrat's Continental Crack-Up Part 1, where Buck is seen riding Rudy by Scrat as the little squirrel descends to the Earth's core.
- Rudy is a parody of Moby Dick. Both are great white beasts who mutilated their respective enemies; Buck (who lost an eye) and Captain Ahab (who lost a leg). However, he is the rival of a hero, rather than the rival of another villain.
- Due to his immense size, Rudy is considered to be the strongest villain in the Ice Age franchise.
- Rudy, who was originally going to be a speaking character, was going to be voiced by Josh Brolin.
- Rudy is one of the most dangerous Ice Age villains in the franchise.
- Rudy is the first main Ice Age villain to not die in his respective movie.
- He is also the second main antagonist of a Blue Sky Studios movie who does not die in his respective movie, the first being Sour Kangaroo.
- Rudy bears a resemblance to the Albino Giganotosaurus from the 2008 film Journey to the Center of the Earth, the Indominus rex from Jurassic World, and the Screaming Death from Dragons: Defenders of Berk, mainly due to their white skin.
- Rudy looks like a giant two-legged albino crocodile due to the fact that Baryonyx is a species of Spinosaurid dinosaur, which have heads like those of crocodiles.
- Rudy did not appear nor was mentioned by Buck in Ice Age: Collision Course, despite the latter having a major role in the film. It is unknown where Rudy is, as when Buck is first seen, he is not battling him but the three dino birds named Gavin, Roger, and Gertie. It is possible that Rudy died of old age, that Buck finally managed to take him down or they got separated when Scrat caused the continent drift in the previous movie.
- Rudy may have gotten his name from the word "rude", which means "offensively impolite or ill-mannered".
- He is sometimes thought to be a Suchomimus or even a Spinosaurus, due to being far larger than the Tyrannosaurus in the film and because of the fact that the Baryonyx was a smaller dinosaur itself, while the Spinosaurus was a much larger predator.
- Although Rudy is the main antagonist, he has only around 7 minutes of screen-time.