|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Mourn- (Pauses) Perhaps. I had not thought that… It is lamentable that a fellow doctor became infected, but the work continues. Regrettable as… as it was, Dr. Hamm's death provided important insight. Living human subjects are the only way to proceed forward, I am decided. My cure is of little use on dead flesh, and I have gleaned all I can from your generous supply of corpses. My desires turn towards tending to those still living who suffer from the disease.||„|
|~ SCP-049 to Dr. Itkin.|
SCP-049, also referred to as the Plague Doctor, is a Euclid-class object under the SCP Foundation's containment. It is a humanoid figure that resembles a 15-16th century European Plague Doctor, with a black robe and a white-beaked mask.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Behavior and Procedure
- 5 In Video Games
- 6 In Media
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External Links
- 9 Navigation
During the time of the black plague, SCP-049 was just a simple poor man living in a village with his wife and daughter. Suddenly he saw an actual plague doctor riding a horse near his house before falling in front of him and succumbing to the plague. The man looked at the now dead doctor and had the idea to steal the doctor's garments and disguise himself as a doctor to scam people and gain money for his family. However, unbeknownst to him, by taking the garments he made a deal with Small Death of the Brothers Death which caused the man to become cursed as one of the many agents of Small Death.
He visited different regions and spread death, with people believing he was a real doctor, since he was somehow immune to the plague. After becoming rich he returned to his home to reunite with his family, but to his horror, found his wife had succumbed to the plague and was partially eaten, while his daughter was soaked in blood, but was thankfully still alive, thanks to her immunity which she had inherited from her father.
It unknown what happened after, but it is presumed that the man did surgeries on himself, removing parts of his organs in order to store his tools inside his body, removing his own skin and grafting his costume and mask to his body, and removing parts of his brain and even replacing it with another brain altogether.
After some unknown amount of time, the doctor relocated in the dimensional nexus of the Kingdom of Alagadda. However, the doctor was annoyed by the imbecility of the natives and their lack of logic. To make things worse, the doctor was unable to find his book in which he had written his findings causing frustration in him. After telling some visitors to leave him alone, the doctor got an invitation from the Black Lord of Alagadda.
Upon arriving to the lord's palace, the two met and introduced each other. The Black Lord was curious about the doctor's medicine and asked if he could cure him of any disease he might have, but the doctor was discouraged and was afraid he could not. Then a monster appeared from the walls of the palace heavily injuring the lord, leaving the doctor to perform a surgery on him, and during the procedure the doctor finally remembered his cure. After the lord was cured, he only gave the doctor his gratitude and told him to leave.
After finally remembering his cure the doctor decided to leave Alagadda and return to Earth. In 1665-1666, the time of day and night went haywire, with the sun not coming out on London for several days, or when it came out would not set. At this time, the Black Plague seemed to have returned so the Plague Doctor took the chance to take the bodies of the recently deceased and reanimate them, which caused mass panic throughout London.
After the day and night time schedule went back to normal thanks to Lord David Blackwood killing the faerie hybrid who was responsible for the disruption, the Plague Doctor took residence inside a monastery of the Fifth Church where he was revered as a holy figure, although he himself didn't thought much of the place. He operated on the members of the church for some time making their bodies into abominations so they could be more fitting for their religion's ideals.
SCP-049 was discovered in Montauban, France when the SCP Foundation were investigating some mysterious disappearances. They found 049 surrounded by the people he had turned into SCP-049-2. While the Foundation exterminated the SCP-049-2, SCP-049 took notes on what was happening, and then willingly surrendered to the Foundation. Under their custody 049 kept doing experiments with various mammalians which provided to him by the Foundation in order to keep him calm.
On April 16th 2017, when was being interviewed by Dr. Raymond Hamm--a doctor who spend a lot of time with 049 and considered him a friend--049 became agitated and attacked Hamm, killing him and turning him into a 049-2 in three hours, since security wasn't activated.
During a containment breach, SCP-049 came across SCP-353. The two immediately felt attracted to each other and fell in love. But before becoming intimate the two worked together to reanimate the bodies of personnel who were killed by 353. After reanimating them, the two SCPs proceeded to have sex before being interrupted by SCP-890 holding SCP-297.
While sitting in his containment room 049 heard the alarm going on which was not unusual. Suddenly the wall of his cell began corroding and SCP-035 possessing a D-Class stepped through. 035 remembered his interaction with the doctor, but the doctor could not remember it. After 049 realized that the actually met in the past, 035 asked him to perform his surgery on a female D-Class it had brought along in order to for her body to not be affected by its liquid. 049 complied and after turning the D-Class into 035's perfect host, the two SCPs managed to escape the site.
On the run, 035 dropped 049 to Marshall, Carter, and Dark ltd.. Under their employment, 049 began conducting surgeries on several individuals for the money-hungry group, earning them quite a lot of money. After a long day of work, 049 approached a man who laying dying. He assured the man that he did not have the pestilence and stayed with him until his final moment.
SCP-049 is very well-mannered, respectful, and polite, so it makes little attempt at escape. It seems to truly believe what it is doing is for the greater good, stating that its cure is "most effective". It is unknown why SCP-049 believes that it must eradicate this "pestilence", or what the "pestilence" truly is.
SCP-049 is also extremely courteous and affable to both humans and fellow SCPs alike. It states that it does not like to speak because of the melancholy and pensive nature of the "victims of the Pestilence", and that they do not react well to conversation. This shows that it still has its victims' best interests in mind when performing its procedure.
When 049 encountered SCP-682, 049 tried to cure the creature of the pestilence, but after being attacked by the monster, 049 was left mentally damaged.
SCP-049 is a tall humanoid figure that appears to be garnished in long black robes and a white-beaked mask. However, upon further investigation, it was revealed that these items are a part of SCP-049's physical body, being similar in biological structure to muscle.
Behavior and Procedure
SCP-049's touch is extremely lethal to humans, killing those that come into contact with it within minutes. SCP-049 then produces out of his body a black bag filled with medical and surgical tools, then begins surgery on the victim, inserting several unknown chemicals into the corpse.
After a few minutes, the subject's vital signs will resume and the subject (now an instance of SCP-049-2) will begin to function normally, except any higher brain function. The victim will be rendered completely feral, violent, aggressive, and dangerous, and will wander until it encounters another human. It will then attack and kill the human before returning to its unintelligent and brainless state. However, when 049 does his operation on a mechanical creature, such as Leslie of SCP-3774, the robots will be reanimated, but will keep their memories and intelligence as before their death.
SCP-049 was once thought incapable of speech, but this was later debunked when it spoke in a male voice, saying that while it can speak, it simply prefers not to. It explained that it seeks to eradicate "the Great Pestilence" from the world, which is assumed to be the bubonic plague. However, this is unconfirmed, as SCP-049 senses the "Pestilence" in subjects who do not possess the disease, and has not seen it in some other human subjects. SCP-049 believes it is doing a great service by "curing" the infected. When confronted about the effectiveness of the cure, SCP-049 would not continue. It is possible that the "pestilence" is life itself, which 049 believes that it destroys the souls of people and that it should be ridden from their bodies.
SCP-049 is kept in a secure holding cell. Should personnel want to converse with it, it must be removed by a Level 2 or higher personnel and sedated before being placed in an iron collar and accompanied by a minimum of two security guards. During a containment breach, SCP-049 came into contact and had conversations with SCP-035.
In the "End of Death" continuity in which a resurrected O5-11 of the O5 Council killed the embodiment of Death causing everyone to gain immortality, 049 became agitated when he saw that his touch couldn't kill anyone anymore, and fell in a state of depression, since he considered his death touch to be integral to his "cure". The Foundation tried to elevate his mood by allowing him to help personnel in the site's medical center, but this didn't completely help 049 with his depression.
During "There is comfort in not seeing, there is bliss in not knowing." Where SCP-096 encountered 049, SCP-049 felt a large amount of sympathy for the creature, viewing it as a suffering, helpless and scared child. Despite telling the pale humanoid creature he could not save it, he said he can help it. SCP-049 then injected something to calm 096, in 049's view. They were both underneath a black tree, with mirror shards hanging from the branches, as 096's crying grew louder and intense. 049 reflected on his own life and questioned whether or not if he was a doctor, 049 also noticed that the "child" had several cuts around it's body with blood leaking. He was going to find a syringe to staunch the flow, but 096 ran and hugged him. While in reality, 096 and 049 sat down together, until 049 was dragged out.
In "Nothing in the cry of Cicadas Suggests they are About to Die", an alternate version of 049, later dubbed SCP-049-1, arrived to the main universe right inside a church were a 2852 Black-level event was taking place. 049-1 was also affected by SCP-2852 and took part in the event in which he operated on the participants causing cicadas to emerge from their stitched up bodies.
In Video Games
SCP - Containment Breach
|“||Hello. Greetings. Oh my, yet another victim of the disease... You are not a doctor. I sense the disease in you. I am the cure. Do not be afraid, I am the cure. Stop resisting, I'm here to cure you...||„|
|~ SCP-049 approaching the player.|
Here, SCP-049 was voiced by Aaron Mckee, better known as TheVolgun, a YouTuber who is best known for his voice acting on the SCP-related material, who also voiced in the game SCP-035, SCP-939, SCP-990, and D-9341.
SCP-049 is a major enemy in SCP - Containment Breach. It will wander the halls and elevators, killing and "curing" any human it comes across, including the player. While it is not especially fast, it can be a major obstacle if it is blocking a path or pursuing the player. Touching the Plague Doctor will kill the player, and they will wake up a reanimated corpse, killed by a security guard. However, SCP-049's touch is not lethal when wearing SCP-714.
SCP: Secret Laboratory
In the Secret Laboratory, one of the players has the role of controlling SCP-049 and murdering the other remaining players. Out of all the SCPs in-game, SCP-049 is the slowest. SCP-049 is capable of killing anyone instantly if he gets in range to use his death touch. He can also can create "zombies" with his victims. The zombies are also known as SCP-049-2. They are follow SCP-049 and protect him from other players and can turn them into SCP-049-2 as well. SCP-049 can take more shots than other SCPs in-game. The Tesla-Gate could potentially kill SCP-049 or significantly damage him.
SCP - Containment Breach (Unity Remake)
SCP-049 will be added in the Unity Remake possibly in 2019 or 2020. Till then, no one knows what SCP-049 will look like and what will his future powers possibly be.
Indie Game Battle
SCP-049 was set to appear as a playable character in Indie Game Battle before the game's cancellation.
|“||Et donc, l'étudiant devient le maître. (And so, the student becomes the master.)||„|
In this non-canon, fan-made series, there is a set of two videos that expand on SCP-049's purpose and background. His aim to cure "the pestilence" remains in this video series in the same way as the standard SCP mythos. SCP-049 also discusses his encounter with SCP-035, which is a very different version of the same story that SCP-035 gave in its respective video within the series. SCP-035, much like in the original mythos, can speak many languages, but it's true language is not comprehensible by humans.
In the second video featuring SCP-049, he is interviewed by a Foundation member named "Jacobs", at the end of the interview, he intends to sacrifice himself to the SCP. Right as SCP-049 is about to touch Jacobs and "cure the pestilence", SCP-049 withdraws himself and doesn't touch Jacobs, explaining that "the pestilence has receded from him", and that Jacobs has a different fate in store for him.
In another video of the same series, a video about SCP-343, SCP-343 states that "a darkness follows" SCP-049, possibly hinting "the pestilence" that SCP-049 speaks of is something that's a part of the latter, rather than something others are infected with.
- The first original photo of SCP-049 got taken down, and replaced because of the SCP Foundation could not reliably get sourced as being Creative Commons Compliant. The image was not licensed by the SCP wiki, which is why the photo was not to be used in derivative works that utilize content involving the SCP Wiki.
- SCP-049 is based on the real-life Plague Doctor, a medical physician who treated victims of the most devastating pandemic of the whole humanity known as the Black Death.
- SCP-049 is one of the many creations of the Brothers Death.
- More specifically, he was created by Small Death, who reaps people who died from an illness.
- SCP-049 appeared as #21 on Tat's TopVideo's Top 22 Scariest SCPs.
- There is a bug in SCP - Containment Breach where SCP-049 will remain in its crouching position even after the player has already been turned into an SCP-049-2.
- The Foundation was able to cure some of the individuals turned into SCP-049-2 thanks to SCP-500, mysterious red pills which can actually cure all diseases.
- Another SCP designated SCP-049-J, also known as "The Plague Fellow", is an SCP looking nearly identical with the classic 049, with the exception that it is made of mostly of moss, wads of tissue, and other, smaller plague doctor masks. Its behavior is also similar to that of 049, but seemingly to a less degree of intelligence, as he claims to be a powerful magical doctor wizard, capable of curing anything, despite the fact he had cured nothing and instead made things much worse, for example crushing a patient's throat with a shoe in hope of curing her sore throat, and tried to escape the facilities he was held in through childish ways.
- SCP-049-J, is one of the few Joke SCPs which is directly related to the SCP with the same number designation, and was also created by the same co-author. According to the tale Boiled, Scrambled, and Fried, SCP-049 gave birth to SCP-049-J through laying an egg, despite saying that he is not a bird.
- During an encounter with SCP-729-J, SCP-049 stated that the plushie had the plague and attempted to cure him but fainted.
- In SCP-5555, it is revealed that the Administrator of the Foundation, and other leaders of the other GOIs are actually powerful immortal beings who use the SCP universe and its inhabitants as just a playboard game with roleplaying for their own entertainment, and after one of them wins, the game starts over and the universe resets, but with the with major differences, such as the Plague Doctor being a simple modern doctor with a gas mask in the previous game before becoming a medieval plague doctor in the current one.
- When the Foundation used SCP-978, a camera that when takes a picture of someone the photo it produces shows the individual's biggest desire, to take a photo of SCP-049, the picture showed him embracing a six year old child, most likely his daughter, while various 049-2 were seen roaming in the background.
- Despite his origins, the child in the picture of SCP-978 with SCP-049 could also be SCP-096, hinting that SCP-049 wants to help the creature more and make it a Safe-Class Threat.
- in a cross-testing experiment. SCP-049 encountered SCP-096, viewing the creature as a injured and helpless, scared and distressed child. SCP-049 had told SCP-096 he couldn't cure it, but he could help it. Afterwards SCP-049 injected something into SCP-096's body, also during this. When SCP-049 was "treating" SCP-096, he had doubts whether he was a real doctor because of the "suffering" it was going through. SCP-096's "child" form had hugged SCP-049, while the actual creature sat down with SCP-049.
- In an alternate universe, during the Black Plague 049 had created so many monsters that they began taking over the world. This forced a young O5-5 to abandon this universe and join an interdimensional group made out of his counterparts from other universes.
- In the dead timeline of SCP-5000, where the SCP Foundation decided to destroy the human race via usage of the SCPs, after creating a collective consciousness between their staff they became aware of the malicious memetic entity inhabiting the human collective consciousness who was the cause for the creatures feeling pain and suffering and could only be defeated by killing the collective. This means that this entity is possibly the "pestilence" SCP-049 was referring to.
- When D-77544 looked to SCP-049 through some glasses which let their wearer know how much costs the objects the wearer sees, he said that "049 costs
634 610 648 625600-650 rats infested with the Black Death".
- It is theorized that SCP-343 or Mr. Deeds might be able to translate his notes, but it is expected that they wouldn't be helpful if translated.
- SCP-049 on the SCP Wiki
- SCP-049 on the Heroes Wiki
- SCP-049 on the SCP - Containment Breach Wiki
- SCP-049 at the Versus Compendium Wiki
Video Game SCPs