This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||In this world when one says the word "witch" they're really just referring to one person in particular. The Witch of Envy, Satella. Long ago, she devoured the six witches who bore the names of the deadly sins and drained half the world dry. She's pretty much the worst of the worst. The story goes that she was starved for love. It's said that she doesn't understand human language. It's also been said that her body never withers from age, weakens from sickness, or dies. And although she was sealed by the powers of a dragon, a hero, and a sage, they were still never able to destroy her flesh.||„|
|~ Beatrice giving a description of the Witch to Subaru Natsuki.|
Satella (in Japanese: サテラ, Satera), also known as the Witch of Envy (in Japanese: 嫉妬の魔女, Shitto no Majo), is the main antagonist of the 2014 Japanese dark fantasy light novel series Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, as well as its anime television series & manga adaptations of the same name.
Satella is voiced by Rie Takahashi in the Japanese version of the anime adaptation and by Kayli Mills in the English version. Both Takahashi and Mills also voice the main heroine Emilia in their respective versions.
Satella, according to legend, was a half-human/half-elf demi-human woman with silver hair and eyes that were amethyst with a bluish tint to them. As a half-elf, Satella's ears were noticeably pointed. When she manifested before Petelgeuse in a realm devoid of light, the details of her face and the shape of her body were both obscured by pitch-black mist. The mist that engulfed her form was so impossibly dark that it blotted out the darkness of the realm. In this state, Satella's eyes glowed brightly in contrast to the rest of her form.
When she attacked the Sanctuary in Emilia's body, Satella's form was once again obscured. Although the contours of her body were difficult to ascertain, the shadows surrounding her made her seem as though she wore a dress of darkness and had long raven-black hair. Her voice was muffled to the point that it was difficult to distinguish whether it belonged to a man or a woman.
In the anime adaptation, Satella's clothing deviated significantly from the description provided in the light novel. In the anime, she wore dark-purple thigh-high socks with golden frills on the top, a dark-purple one-piece mini-dress with golden flower decorations, and a long dark veil that covered a part of her face.
According to Beatrice, Satella was starved for love before her imprisonment and was incapable of understanding human language. For unknown reasons, the Witch was obsessively in love with Subaru Natsuki, who, to his knowledge, had never met her before in his life. In the realm of darkness she called home, Satella would simply sit idly and monotonously repeat the words "I love you" over and over again, seemingly swamped by her own obsessive feelings of love towards Natsuki. She was incredibly possessive over Subaru, as she wouldn't allow him to tell anyone else the secret of "Return by Death." She seemed to have no remorse nor did she pay anyone other than Natsuki heed, as she didn't hesitate to execute Emilia when Subaru told her about "Return by Death."
When Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti invaded the body of Subaru, Satella confronted the Sin Archbishop. She was initially disappointed that the man she was face to face with wasn't her beloved, an emotion that grew with every passing second. Eventually her disappointment and despondency morphed into rage, as she was furious that someone would enter the space that was only meant for her and Subaru. The characteristic jealousy and possessiveness she was infamous for flared up and, in her overwhelming rage, the Witch of Envy tore the Sin Archbishop's soul apart. Despite the feelings and dedication he had demonstrated, Petelgeuse proved to be completely worthless and meaningless to the Witch who only cared for her beloved.
If the secret of "Return by Death" was learned by another person without hinderance, Satella would find a method of bypassing her imprisonment and slaughter all of Subaru's allies in that timeline, presumably as a form of strong reprimand fuelled by her possessiveness. Although she usually paid no heed to the words of anyone including Subaru, she would take noticeable offence if Natsuki told her he preferred the other Witches of Sin to her.
Powers & Abilities
Satella the Witch of Envy, in her era, was the most powerful person alive whose defeat could only be attained by the combined efforts of the strongest heroes of the time. Among the Witches of Sin who were reviled by the world, Satella was easily the mightiest. Even within the modern era, the Witch remained almost completely unrivalled in terms of power. The only person whose strength rivalled her own was the Master Swordsman Reinhard van Astrea, the descendant of Reid Astrea who contributed to her defeat four hundred years ago. Despite being physically imprisoned near the Great Waterfall, Satella somehow maintained a link to Subaru's body and was constantly aware of his actions.
- Authority of Envy: The Witch Factors were a set of nine mysterious seeds of power each relating to one of the seven deadly sins (plus the additional sins of vanity and melancholy). When absorbed by a person, a Witch Factor would metamorphize into an Authority, a power which, depending on its user, would produce various different affects. The potency of an Authority was decided by the personality of its wielder, as an individual who strongly embodied the sin of the Witch Factor they absorbed would have a more powerful variation of the Authority than an individual who embodied the same sin to a lesser extent. Additionally, the bearers of Witch Factors, including Satella, gave off a particular scent that attracted mabeasts, terrifying man-eating monsters that were created by the Witch of Gluttony Daphne. Satella absorbed the Envy Witch Factor at some point in her past, bestowing her with the Authority of Envy. However, because of Satella's incompatibility with the sin of Envy, her mind cracked, forming an alternate personality that was more in-line with the persona of Envy. Despite her incompatibility with the sin of Envy, Satella's Authority of Envy was superior to the Authorities of all of the other Witches combined. The exact abilities that the Envy Authority allowed Satella to use are unknown.
- Immortality: Satella, for unexplained reasons, never physically aged past her prime and as such never withered with the passage of time. She didn't need to eat or drink to sustain herself and there was no known illness that could end her life. Furthermore, although she could be injured and defeated, her body couldn't be destroyed by any external force. Even Sage Flugel, who was said to be all-knowing, could not conceive a method to bring about Satella's death. By the time of Subaru Natsuki's summoning, the Witch of Envy had lived for over four-hundred years.
- Possession: Similarly to the Sin Archbishop of Sloth Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti, Satella had the capability to transfer her soul into another individual's body. From the inside, the Witch of Envy would overwrite the body's soul, essentially killing the essence of whomever her victim was and allowing her to take full motor control of what was left behind. Despite the body not belonging to her, Satella was still able to use her powers while possessing a person. However, any body that the Witch inhabited could hypothetically be destroyed unlike her actual body that was completely immortal. The Witch was able to temporarily leave her imprisonment by possessing a person, a capability she demonstrated when she used the body of Emilia to rampage within the Sanctuary.
- Shadow Manipulation: Satella had the power to generate and manipulate shadows on a gargantuan scale. The shadows she created could erode organic and inorganic matter when they came into contact with it. The shadows were also able to affect abstract concepts like memories and thoughts. By creating a veil of shadow over her person, Satella could nullify physical damage directed at her. Even the considerably mighty blows of Garfiel Tinsel merely dissipated upon making contact with the Witch of Envy.
- Teleportation: She was capable of teleportation to the point of planetary travel, evidenced by when she transported Subaru across the universe to her world.
- Time Manipulation: The Witch of Envy had the power to manipulate the flow of time to a certain extent. She could reverse the flow of time at least several days back and could freeze time indefinitely. The Witch could control who had perception of the shifts in time, as her beloved Subaru Natsuki could register and quantify whenever she manipulated the flow around him. Her power of time manipulation was most keenly demonstrated in the "Return by Death" ability that she had bestowed on Natsuki upon his arrival to her world. Every time he tried to tell anyone about his power, the Witch would freeze time around Natsuki while she punished him, displaying impressive chronokinetic ability despite being locked away in her imprisonment.
- The Unseen Hand: When she devoured six of the other Witches of Sin, it is likely Satella gained their Witch Factors in the process. This is evidenced by her capability to use the "Unseen Hand," a power of the Authority of Sloth that belonged to the Witch of Sloth Sekhmet. The "Unseen Hand" was a technique that allowed Satella to summon numerous invisible hand-like appendages from her body that she could move and extend telekinetically. Her version of the "Unseen Hand" was far more potent than Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti's, as, whereas he could only summon up to a hundred Hands at the peek of his power, Satella was capable of summoning roughly two-thousand. Satella used the "Unseen Hand" to grasp Subaru's heart every time he told another person about "Return by Death."
Call of the Witch by Kenichiro Suehiro
Light Novel Excepts
List of Appearances
Ex Volume 2
Ex Volume 4
- Satella is the only Witch of Sin who wasn't succeeded by a Sin Archbishop (except for Pandora and Hector). This was because, unlike the other Witches, Satella didn't perish, meaning her Witch Factor wasn't inherited by anyone.
- Satella is the only indiviual who possessed a Witch Factor yet wasn't named after a celestial body (besides Stride Volakia). The author has revealed that the meaning of Satella's name will be revealed in the story's final arc.
|Capella Emerada Lugunica · Louis Arneb · Lye Batenkaitos · Pandora · Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti · Regulus Corneas · Roy Alphard · Sirius · Stride Volakia|
|Witches of Sin|
|Carmilla · Daphne · Echidna · Hector · Minerva · Pandora · Satella · Sekhmet · Typhon|
|Black Serpent · Great Rabbit · White Whale|
|Gusteko Assassin Organization|
|Elsa Granhiert · Mama · Meili Portroute|
|Balleroy Temeglyph · Bean Argyle · Kurgan · Miles · Roswaal Mathers · Sphinx · Ton, Chin, and Kan|