|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||You've grown up being told to clean the food off your plate, right? Don't be picky, they say. I don't like carrots, but now everything that I can eat tastes awesome. You're shaking a lot. I get it. You're scared. Because the fear you feel is different. Like big and small, men and women, young and old. What you two are afraid of is... what is different from yourselves. So if you become the same, it's not scary. Killers, monsters,... ghouls. If you become what you're afraid of, fear will fade. What you two are afraid of, is the Door of Death in front of you. So I'll have you become that. Once you're Death, death is no longer scary. You're scared because you're a living person. Got that?||„|
|~ Seidou Takizawa|
|“||When you realize your own future's gone to shit, all you have left is to live for someone else.||„|
|~ Seidou Takizawa|
Seidou Takizawa (in Japanese: 滝澤 政道, Takizawa Seidō) is a character from the manga and anime series Tokyo Ghoul, starting out in the first series as a protagonist before becoming a major antagonist in the first half of the sequel, Tokyo Ghoul:re. He is a former Rank 2 Ghoul Investigator. A classmate of Akira Mado at the Academy, he was partnered with Kousuke Houji and assigned to the 20th ward to investigate the Gourmet. Though a great admirer of outstanding investigators such as Koutarou Amon and Kishou Arima, he also suffers from a major inferiority complex that brought him into conflict with his peers. At the end of the Owl Suppression Operation, he faced Tatara together with Koutarou Amon and was subsequently reported dead by the CCG.
In Tokyo Ghoul:re, he survived as an artificial one-eyed ghoul. As a member of Aogiri Tree, he is known as Owl (オウル, Ōru). It turned out that after being presumed dead, he was captured by Aogiri, turned into a ghoul and repeatedly subjected to extensive torture at the hands of Dr. Kanou. This process was intended to force the development of new Rc pathways, strengthened his body and removing any lingering human weaknesses. Later on, unknown to him, his parents were killed. Their remains were then prepared and secretly fed to him by Dr. Akihiro Kanou, who revealed the truth afterwards. This revelation was a major blow to Seidou's mind, causing him to abandon his humanity. His torture would eventually shatter his mind and diminish his life span.
Takizawa's whereabouts after the dragon battle are unknown. There have been many first hand accounts of a half-kakuja hunting renegade ghouls in various places.
He was voiced by Shinnosuke Tachibana in Japanese and Micah Solusod in English.
As a human, Seidou was a somewhat short young with short brown hair, parted bangs, and brown eyes. He wore a dark blue suit when working in the main office with a blue tie and a white undercoat as well. In combat he had standard issue CCG Soldier and Military gear and armor with him.
As a ghoul, he has drastically changed. He looks more monotone and frightening. His hair is now white and visibly unkempt, its length past his chin. His fingernails, toenails, and lips are now black in color. He appears more tired due to the dark circles underneath his eyebrow-less eyes, one of which is where his left kakugan manifests. Clad in all black, he dons loose-fitting robes with wide, elbow-length sleeves that have a white symbol on the hood. He wears pants fitted below the knees and has wraps around his feet exposing his toes. After his restoration to sanity he wears a modification of his Aogiri Tree robes as a trench coat, black with white stripes across the midsection and on both sides of the collar. The collar is also flipped up, partially covering the backside of his head.
|“||I'm...always second best.||„|
|~ Takizawa to himself.|
As a human, Seidou had a very straight-forward and earnest personality, being a relatively normal young man. He holds strong admiration for his exceptional superiors, prone to fawning over them and admitting to collecting newspaper clippings of Arima's cases. However, he also has a deeply harbored desire to be respected and places considerable importance on seniority both in terms of rank and age. This leads to conflicts among his coworkers when he does not earn the respect he feels is owed to him, and he is easily upset when out-shined by those he considers his peers or younger associates. He is very excitable, both in terms of stuttering in excitement or becoming high-strung when agitated. When disappointed or frustrated, he is prone to pouting or acting gloomy for long enough for others to comment on it.
In this manner, he is somewhat immature but not particularly malicious or mean-spirited. However, his rivalry with Akira Mado tends to bring out the worst in him and they are rarely able to interact without bickering. He is easily frustrated with her or the equally exceptional Juuzou Suzuya, but ultimately admits to their superior talents and does express concern for them when things are serious.
Though he talks himself up, in reality he holds considerable doubts about his abilities when it comes to actual combat. He actively puts up a brave front, asking for field work to engage combat with ghouls. However, when actually faced with the reality of live combat and possible death, he breaks down and is overcome with feelings of fear. Even so, his commitment to his duty and comrades is stronger than any fears or doubts he might bear.
After his transformation into a half-ghoul and torture at the hands of Akihiro Kanou, his personality changed drastically. Having fully embraced his nature as a ghoul and the ideology of Aogiri Tree, he is a merciless killer with little regard for human life. He takes pleasure in killing, and expresses a belief in conquering fear through becoming the very monster one fears. While prone to erratic or wild behavior, he also shows moments of complete lucidity and awareness of his actions. His memories of his past remain intact, expressing resentment and frustration over being overshadowed by others in the past. As such, beneath his arrogant demeanor, his insecurities remain and have been preyed upon to make him view Kaneki as a rival. He also expresses feelings of resentment towards the CCG, hinting that he believes himself to have been used and abandoned by them.
In complete contrast to his human self, he has completely thrown away any concern for social norms or group order. He heavily imitates the mannerisms of Eto, with a sarcastic and cruel wit that leads to him mocking others. In terms of his feelings concerning other ghouls and himself, he comments at finding the idea of ghouls having affection for each other comical. He enjoys causing others physical or psychological pain, taunting them and giving them lectures on the philosophies he has learned from Aogiri. Even so, when confronted by important people from his past such as Akira, he expresses shame through covering his face and flees rather than deal with them.
Despite all the drastic changes however, displayed during the events of the Rushima Landing Operation, deep down he still remains the same: insecure and desperate for praise. He went so far as to strike down his Aogiri superior, Tatara, out of revenge for what he did to him during the Owl Suppression Operation, as a means to finally gain the approval of his ex-superior investigator Kousuke Houji, and to prove his ability to the CCG. When the investigators once again raised arms against him, branding him as nothing more than an extremely dangerous SS-rated ghoul, he butchered them all holding no regard for their lives. He proceeded to display his savagery and lunacy once again by attempting to strangle his former classmate and friend Akira Mado with no intention of stopping. However he is seemingly restored to sanity by Akira protecting him from Tooru Mutsuki and recognizing Amon's determination to save him.
Powers and Abilities
Seidou's abilities as an investigator were never shown, as he was frequently stuck working in the office instead of the field. However, he possessed enough talent to graduate second in his class from the Academy just behind Akira Mado.
After being transformed into a One-eyed Ghoul, he inherited Yoshimura's kakuhou, and gained an ukaku kagune as a result. Due to the hybrid vigor, Takizawa's abilities are said to be more potent than those of a natural-born ghoul.
- Douhi: Seidou usually carried around a Douhi Quinque when he was an investigator. It is shaped like a crossbow and has significant power as it was able to kill two Aogiri members both with head shots. It appears to have average abilities compared to other Quinques.
- Ukaku Kagune: After becoming a ghoul, he was given Yoshimura's kagune and had gained immense strength from it. He is able to bring up the spiked wings on his back and can form a massive blade over his shoulder which can cut through any human and Quinqe with little effort. Seidou can also fire a large series of plumeged spikes of RC Cells at long distances at enemies.
- Kakuja: Takizawa possesses an incomplete version of Yoshimura's kakuja, and the usage appears to significantly degrade his mental state, causing him to ramble nonsense and engage in self-harm. The kakuja manifests as a partial mask covering his face, and a massive blade emerging from either shoulder. During the events on Rushima and while fighting Tatara, his kakuja developed. His face is now covered in a large mask of an owl's face and despite retaining his berserk fighting style, he is calmer and more methodical. He no longer rambles incoherently, thinks about his moves, takes down Tomoe and Tatara and manages to regain his composure to converse with Houji and the CCG. His kakuja evolves even further, allowing him to fight on equal ground with a highly destructive and unstable Amon who is in the kakuja state as well. In his complete kakuja form, he is able to produce two large scimitars blades from his shoulders and also multiple smaller ones protruding out of his back.
- Superhuman Strength: Takizawa has displayed inhuman strength while shattering concrete and being competent enough to rend human bodies apart with minimal effort. This strength is amplified additionally by activating his kakuja and kagune, enabling him to block and parry attacks from ground-shattering opponents.
- Superhuman Regeneration: Seidou has strong healing abilities as he is able to regrow his limbs if cut off. He was able to regrow the arm he lost from Noro and when he battled Hinami, Takizawa was able to reattach his severed arm in a matter of seconds. He can also heal much smaller wounds from attacks like bullets and stabs.
- Superhuman Durability: Takizawa shows High Pain Tolerance. He was able to endure being stabbed by Sasaki's rinkaku kagune and receive no sign of being in pain or injured by it. His durability is amplified additionally by activating his kakuja, which enabled him to endure being shot point-blank by Tatara's flames at his kakuja form without sustaining any injuries. In his fight against Amon, he stabbed through Amon's stomach while also stabbing through his own stomach just to prove a point and didn't show one sign of pain.
- Agility: His agility along with his speed and sense of smell have all been enhanced. They are more powerful than a human's and he's much faster than one like all ghouls. He can move fast and outmanuver any Ghoul Investigator and CCG Soldier and can get the upper hand on them when in combat. He was fast enough to interfere with Tatara and save Houji from getting burnt by Tatara's Kakuja.
Major Inferiority Complex. Using his Kakuja drove him previously in a deranged mental state, severely impairing his concentration and reasoning. Like all ghouls, he can be weaker if enough Q-Bullets are used against him and can be easily weakened by human food. However, due to the organs from Yoshimura, who was a very powerful ghoul, it is unknown if Takizawa even has the same weaknesses of a ghoul.
- The Effects of Dehumanization and Torture on Takizawa Seidou.
- He enjoys watching sports and police dramas, and likes dogs.
- He is heavily associated with The Devil (XV).
- In Chapter 123, his tears form the number "15".
- He was OWL #15 during the ghoulification experiments that transformed him.
- In Chapter 141, the number "6" appears in his blood. This references the Tarot Card The Lovers (VI).
- In :re Chapter 24, the numbers "3" and "7" appear in blood on his face. These reference the Tarot Cards The Empress (III) and The Chariot (VII).
- In Re: Chapter 31, while covering his face after looking at Akira, his former rival, the word "jealous" or "jealousy" can be seen in his left hand.
- While the original Owls (Yoshimura and Eto) are referred to using the Japanese word Fukurō, Takizawa is referred to using the English word "Owl" instead.
- In the manga, Takizawa was with Amon when he was injured by Noro. In the 11th episode of Tokyo Ghoul √A, Takizawa encountered Noro before reaching Amon.
- While Kaneki offered insight into what human food tastes like to ghouls, Takizawa's commentary sheds light on how humans taste to ghouls.
- His transformation into a ghoul is foreshadowed in the original series, through several subtle hints.
- In Chapter 56, shadows cause his left eye to appear black while angry.
- His Tarot Card, The Devil, is associated with corruption and destructive urges. The traditional imagery is that of a man partially transformed into a demon as a result of surrendering to temptation.
- His ramblings imply a tragic irony, as he joined the CCG to keep his mother safe from ghouls, yet later on not only was she killed but he also ended up consuming her after he became a ghoul.
- Both he and Kaneki called out for their mothers while they were in the states of half-kakuja.
- After becoming a ghoul, he developed a mannerism of biting his own fingers.
One-Eyed King (Kishou Arima | Ken Kaneki) | Eto Yoshimura | Tatara | Noro | Yakumo Oomori | Bin Brothers | Miza Kusakari | Ayato Kirishima | Naki | Akihiro Kanou | Seidou Takizawa | Hooguro | Shousei | Yumitsu Tomoe | Shikorae | Karao Saeki