|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|~ Senator Armstrong's most famous quote as he demonstrates his powers to Raiden.|
|“||Don't f-ck with this senator!||„|
|~ Armstrong to Raiden, and one of his most famous lines.|
|“||Armstrong: Well done, Jack.
Raiden: Your dream dies with you.
Armstrong: Maybe not... You've guaranteed the status quo will go on, for a while longer at least... War... will continue as an institution. As an industry. Men will fight for reasons they don't understand, causes they don't believe in... But at least I'll leave a worthy successor... You, Jack. You carve your own path, use whatever methods you see fit... You don't let legal bullshit get in the way. And if it costs a few lives? So be it... Deep inside we're... kindred spirits... you... and I...
|~ Armstrong's final monologue to Raiden, convincing him on how he can continue his vision of free will.|
Senator Steven Armstrong is the main antagonist of the 2013 video game Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
He is an ambitious Colorado senator who plans to get elected as the next U.S. President so he can convert the country into a social Darwinist regime that he believes would allow every citizen to fight their own wars and for what they truly believe in.
He was voiced by the late Unshō Ishizuka in Japanese, who also voiced Incineroar and Heihachi Mishima and by Alastair Duncan in English, who also voiced Vulture in the 2017 TV series Marvel's Spider-Man, Curtis Blackburn in Killer7, and Celebrimbor in Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.
Standing at an imposing height of 2 meters (6'7"), Armstrong is a titan of an individual, with a very well-built physique. He is a towering middle-aged, Caucasian man with black hair with traces of white, and gray colored eyes. Armstrong's main attire appears to be primarily comprised of vertical lined striped dark suit worn over a white shirt, as well as dark pants to match his political theme outfit. He also dons an lapel pin on his suit in the shape of the flag of his homeland, the United States of America.
When Armstrong powers up to his nanite-empowered state, Armstrong goes through considerable physical changes. In his empowered state, Armstrong's muscular frame increases substantially to the point his shirt completely shreds off, revealing his impressive build. His body bears many scars, due to procedure of implanting the nanomachines into his body. Due to the nanomachine empowering him, his body is riddled with energy, covering him in a powerful aura, which also adds as a layer of defense.
When Armstrong was young, he used to play college football for the University of Texas, in which he excelled at the game. Years later, he later joined the United States Navy, which sacrificed his chance of going pro. However, although a member of the Navy, he never saw combat during his service.
He had maintained his impressive physical power for a long time, which in 2016 was exponentially increased by a nanomachine infusion. The physical enhancements Armstrong received from nanomachines boosted his powers to unprecedented level. Around that time, Armstrong ran for election for State senator of Colorado and subsequently won. Additionally, he had also become the de facto CEO of World Marshal Inc., which was the world's largest PMC (Private Military Company) and the largest cybernetic body part supplier. By the time of 2018, Armstrong became a presidential nominee for the 2020 elections, and was even considered to be a "shoo in".
Sometime in 2016, Senator Armstrong delivered a speech to get his approval ratings up. His speech was his way of expressing his beliefs. It was also around this time when Armstrong met and recruited the Winds of Destruction, those being Monsoon, Sundowner and Mistral, whom the three were leaders of Desperado Enforcement LLC., an American PMC organization that frequents with terrorism and insurgency. Due to this involvement with the Desperado PMSC and its activities, Armstrong's speechwriter warned him that he would appear before a grand jury had his connection to the group been revealed, although he himself believed that they will not do a thing in either case, as he believed that the people would not care due to believing that money is the only thing that truly matters.
Recruiting Jetstream Sam
During all this, Armstrong was planning on recruiting a mercenary to help further his plans. After Jetstream Sam head to the top of the roof of World Marshal where Armstrong was waiting, Armstrong challenges Sam to a fight. While the two were fighting, Armstrong was offering Sam a job. Nearing the end, Sam managed to slice off one of Armstrong's arms, but Armstrong quickly retaliates by using his Nanomachines to turn his injury into a blade. He then processes by stabbing Sam in his right shoulder, severely injuring Sam's entire right arm. After defeating Sam, Armstrong quickly attaching his severed hand back onto his arm, and accepted Jetstream Sam to the team, and eventually giving Sam a new robotic arm.
Direct involvement in Desperado activities
Two years later, Armstrong inspected a Desperado research lab in Mexico alongside with Desperado's leader; Sundowner, regarding that the transportation of children's brains in cyborg head casings before delivering them to World Marshal for the Sears Program was processing as planned. However, Armstrong also instructed them to shut down the facility, and move the child's brains to another facility as he had suspicion that someone else was snooping around. One of the scientists asked Armstrong what to do with the other children that were attending the Sears Program. To which, Armstrong to him to kill them, as they had elsewhere to go, no one will miss them, and he claims that he is doing a public favor. He also plotted for Operation Tecumseh, which was a plan that would start a war with Pakistan under false pretenses while President Hamilton is visiting the country with Pakistani President Farooq Salam for a peace talk.
While Raiden was in the Pakistan base to stop Armstrong's plans, he spotted Blade Wolf injured, presumably defeated by Armstrong. Shortly after, Armstrong, along with his own Metal Gear, known as the "Metal Gear EXCELSUS", climbed out of a crater. He revealed to Raiden that, since the fall of SOPs (Sons of the Patriots) and the Patriots, America was hit with a recession, which is the reason why he needed to orchestrate a false flag operation to ensure the war economy to put America back to work again. Although Armstrong was originally planning to assassinate the president, he instead, decided to have the American base framed for being killed by Pakistani extremists, feeling that would have accomplished the same plan in general. However, Raiden was planning to expose the truth of what happened, so to prevent that Armstrong confronted him with his Metal Gear.
After EXCELSUS was destroyed, Armstrong proceeded to fight Raiden. His nanomachine-infused body, which enabled Armstrong with superhuman-like strength and durability, completely overwhelmed Raiden, not even flinching once from the many hits the latter had landed on him. He even broke Raiden's sword, leaving Raiden to his mercy. During the battle, he explained that his motives of wanting to remake America. He believed that America was rotten to the core, and that he wanted to reestablish America as a world where people fight for their own reasons, instead of fighting for the government. Raiden then deduced that he was not merely a "greedy politician" as he initially thought, but stated that he was completely insane due to his reference to culling the weak and having the strong be free.
However, just when Armstrong was about to kill Raiden, an injured Blade Wolf saved him by bringing to him Samuel's sword. Angered, Armstrong kicked Blade Wolf away, although not before Blade Wolf threw the sword to Raiden.
Both Raiden and Armstrong continued to fight, until Raiden managed to stab Armstrong through the chest. Upon his defeat, Armstrong acknowledges Raiden as a true American, and expresses his respect for Raiden by informing him that he's "Number 1". Raiden then finishes the senator off by ripping out his nanomachine-laced pale heart and crushing it with his hand. Before he died, Armstrong commended Raiden as they were kindred spirits.
Armstrong's death caused World Marshal's funding to be crippled. But despite this, World Marshal itself still continued to exist, and his plan of re-orchestrating a new War on Terror managed to succeed. Raiden also started to slightly agree with Armstrong's claims about people fighting wars they don't believe in, and then decided to defect and go fight his own battles in his own ways, regardless if anybody agrees with his methods or not.
|“||Armstrong: All right, the truth then. You're right about one thing... I do need capital. And votes. Wanna know why? "I have a dream." That one day every person in this nation will control their OWN destiny. A land of the TRULY free, dammit. A nation of ACTION, not words. Ruled by STRENGTH, not committee. Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every man is free to think - to act - for himself! F-ck all these limp-dick lawyers and chicken-shit bureaucrats. F-ck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit. F-ck "American pride." F-ck the media! F-ck all of it! America is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it. We need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. BURN IT DOWN! And from the ashes, a new America will be born! Evolved, but untamed! The weak will be purged, and the strongest will thrive - free to live as they see fit, they'll make America great again!
Raiden: What the hell are you talking about...
Armstrong: You still don't get it. I'm using war as a business to get elected... to end war as a business! In my new America, people will die and kill for what they BELIEVE. Not for money. Not for oil! Not for what they're told is right. Every man will be free to fight his own wars!
|~ Senator Armstrong's monologue on his vision for America.|
Armstrong is shown to be an extremely nationalistic, patriotic and libertarian individual. He shows this by expressing the desire to "reclaim the American dream" by instigating another American Revolution after Liquid Ocelot's insurrection and the Patriots' actions that weakened America. His intense patriotism was fully demonstrated while he was fighting Raiden, by declaring that if Raiden was not for the United States and his goals, he was effectively against it. He also told Raiden to feel the wrath of the USA, and saying that Samuel desired Raiden's death.
Despite his patriotism, Armstrong held great resentment towards the "current" America; criticizing the war economy, the mass media, as well as the notion of "American pride", and it became his motivation to enact the revival of the "War on Terror" in hopes of using war as a business to get elected as the next U.S. President, thereby granting him enough power so that he would be able to end war as a business in its entirety. He was also shown to be extremely cynical in regards to his views of people and especially his electorate, stating that people wouldn't care if a bad act happened or if there was information control as long as there's money involved or if it's at least given a good spin, such as effective scapegoating. He believed this could be achieved if he could turn everyone into a cyborg, even innocent children (much to Raiden's chagrin).
Because of his power both in politics and combat thanks to his nanomachines and his influence as senator, Armstrong is highly arrogant and he held a sarcastic attitude along with belief to the notion "might makes right" to the boot. In this regard, he viewed those who were "strong" as the ones deserving of dictating the laws of society, and that the "weak" should be purged so as to create a perfect world. His arrogance also occasionally leads him to do brash and reckless things, such as deliberately provoking Raiden by sending Blade Wolf away as soon as the wolf-like robot sends the Cyborg Ninja Sam's Muramasa.
Powers and Abilities
|“||Raiden: Why won't you die?!
Armstrong: Nanomachines, son. They harden in response to physical trauma. You can't hurt me, Jack.
|~ Armstrong revealing and explaining the true nature of his powers.|
Even before his nanotech infusion, Steven Armstrong was considered to be quite strong - something he acquired from his days as a college ball player and as a sailor in the United States Navy. He was also very skilled in hand-to-hand combat, though it would seem that he preferred a much more brawl-like style of fighting. After his nanotech infusion however, Armstrong's strength grew to immense superhuman levels by orders of magnitude. His nanomachines, which were regulated by his artificial heart, granted him far more power than anyone could imagine.
- Self-Nanite Manipulation: With his blood being primed with specialized nanotechnology, his already impressive abilities were amplified to an extreme superhuman degree, surpassing any enhanced, mystical and even superhuman beings ever shown in the Metal Gear series. He activates his nanomachines with a unique motion sequence, his being a pseudo-sumo stomp, after this sequence, he charged his nanomachines by absorbing energy from vehicles including: Metal Gears, Hammerheads, APCs and other sources of energy, and enters his nanite-empowered immense superhuman state. Furthermore, he can power up to an even stronger state, where he reach his apex level of power.
- Superhuman strength: Empowered by his nanomachines, Armstrong reaches an unprecedented level of superhuman strength that virtually surpasses all superhuman beings to date. His punches alone are able to generate powerful shock-waves, able to carry, lift and exert millions of tons of force (e.g lifting giant Metal Gears or cause the ground to rupture). In his first empowered state, he effortlessly overpower other individuals who were superhuman to begin, such as Jetstream Sam and Raiden. Armstrong casually overpowers Sam with little effort, going as far as severing the Brazilian Samurai's right arm, despite Sam's superhuman durability. In the finale of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, he again effortlessly overpowered Raiden and even broke his HF Blade with his bare hands (Doktor stating it defies modern physics). Most impressively, Armstrong threw a punch into Raiden with such force, it completely destroyed the remains of the Metal Gear EXCELSUS, creating a large crater, a feat which rivals nuclear warheads. Later on, when Raiden obtains Sam's superior Murasama Blade and activated his ripper mode to match and ultimately defeating him, Armstrong in his full powered state still prove to be superior in strength, as even a single blow could prove fatal for Raiden.
- Nigh-invulnerability: The most prominent attributes of the nanomachines; they harden different parts of his skin in response to any and all types of physical trauma, with the side-effect of turning the affected areas black, with some splotches of red on the outer edges. His skin, as a result of the hardening, renders Armstrong virtually indestructible, being able to withstand any sorts of punishment, such as HF Blades having no effect on him, to even casually shrugging off the complete destruction of the EXCELSUS, which explosion was rivalling the power of nuclear warheads. Even Raiden or Sam, powerful enhanced cyborgs who could easily annihilate mountain size Metal Gears, was unable to do any serious or permanent damage. Even without the nanomachines hardening his skin, Armstrong is still incredibly resilient enough to tank numerous powerful blows from Raiden in his Ripper Mode state.
- Nanite Relocation: Through the use of nanite relocation, Armstrong can harden the skin on certain areas of his body to further enhance his resilience to physical trauma and boost his already impressive superhuman strength. This method even prevents him from bleeding out by hardening up the injured area. When Sam severed Armstrong's arm, he used this to prevent the bleeding and create a makeshift blade which was strong enough to pierce through Sam's cybernetic armor.
- Regenerative Healing: Senator Armstrong can use his nanite relocation ability to heal all damage done to his physiology and even fully reattach severed body parts. Senator Armstrong can even use his nanite relocation to cover up wounded areas to prevent himself from loosing too much blood. He did this when Sam Rodriguez severed off his arm.
- Energy Manipulation: Steven Armstrong's main ability is allowing him to absorb and store energy within his nano-tech primed body. He is also shown that he can levitate and throw vehicles as he is absorbing their energy. The energy in him can be redirected and be used to generate balls of fiery energy, fiery shockwaves and even trigger ground explosions. He can even use this energy to perform impressive dashes of superhuman speed from varied distances. Using it as a propelling force to increase the strength behind his charging strikes.
|“||Idiot. You're not ending our plan, you're expanding it.||„|
|~ Senator Armstrong to Raiden.|
- Master Tactician: Armstrong is a genius level planner as he secretly operated Desperado and World Marshal from behind the scenes without leaving any evidence of his connection them for authorities to find out. He also incited a war with Pakistan under false pretenses that the president was almost assassinated while visiting the country for a peace talk. When Raiden tried to stop him, he used the opportunity to frame the situation as a terrorist attack on an American base to rally the American people to war.
- Master Politician: Senator Steven Armstrong is a highly skilled political who earned himself a seat on the senate and became the Senator of Colorado. He used his knowledge of politics and economics as well as the Patriots and their war economy to guarantee his election into the Presidency of the United States.
|“||Played college ball ya know. Try University of Texas. Coulda gone pro if I hadn't joined the Navy. I'm not one of those beltway pansies. I could break the president in two with my bare hands!||„|
|~ Senator Armstrong to Raiden.|
- Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: While combating Raiden, Senator Armstrong has bragged about his combat prowess from his Navy service. Armstrong combines his nanite manipulation abilities with combat techniques from boxing, wrestling, and even football moves like shoulder tackles and punting kicks. He was able to fight Jetstream Sam, only winning when he improvised his nano machine infused arm injury into a blade. He later fought Raiden, holding the edge until Raiden got Sam's sword and exploited his weak point.
- Piloting Skills: Armstrong was able to pilot Metal Gear EXCELSUS most likely owing to his Navy experience.
- Immense Resources: Given his status as a Senator as well as his knowledge of the Patriot's activities, Senator Armstrong has gained a vast variety of financial assets and commodities which he can use at his disposal. He has been using his fortune to fund Desperado Enforcement LLC, Private Military Company with specialized enhanced soldiers and the latest military technology.
- Armstrong is often considered by many to be the most powerful character in the Metal Gear series as he casually overpowered Raiden and rag doll him throughout much of the fight, with the latter only able to barely defeat him when he was blood lusted (ripper mode) and with the aid of Jetstream's HF Murasama blade.
- The moment Armstrong is about to absorb his nanomachines, he does a Sumo pose. Steven also performs a variety of wrestling moves during his fight with Raiden.
- Armstrong's line "Nanomachines, son", has become one of the most popular internet memes in recent history.
- Armstrong briefly yells "Make America great again!". This phrase had already been used in connection to Donald Trump by his campaign adviser as early as 2011, and is a modification of a slogan used by Ronald Reagan in the 80's.
- Armstrong himself also directly references Star Wars in the Metal Gear EXCELSUS boss fight, with some of his dialogue. Firstly, is his line: "Impressive, Jack. Most impressive", which references this line by Darth Vader. Secondly, his line "Don't get too cocky, kid", references one of Han Solo's lines.