|~ Shadow Freddy's only quote in the actual series.|
|“||I will eat your soul.||„|
|~ Shadow Freddy's loading screen in FNAF World.|
Shadow Freddy is a supporting antagonist in the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise. He appears as a minor character in Five Nights at Freddy's 2, the secondary antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 3, the first antagonist of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator and a minor antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted. He is also a unlockable character in the RPG spinoff FNAF World and a minor character in the novel Five Nights at Freddy's: The Twisted Ones.
He is an enigmatic character who lured the animatronics to William Afton either to help the former or the latter.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Biography
- 3 Other Media
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Speculation
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Navigation
In his original and most known appearance, Shadow Freddy has exactly the same appearance as Withered Golden Freddy, although the color is changed from golden/yellow to dark purple. Due to this, he's in disrepair. He completely lacks a left ear and has many tears over his body. Unlike Golden Freddy, his eyes and teeth glow white. In Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Shadow Freddy lacks the glowing white effects for the eyes and teeth, and covered with green levels that appears to be lighting from the Office itself.
In the VR game Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, he shares the exact appearance as the original Freddy Fazbear. Although he has glowing white eyes and teeth, his overall color is completely black rather than purple.
In the minigames of Five Nights at Freddy's 3, he looks like Freddy, except purple.
Five Nights at Freddy's 2
He appears in a slumped position similar to Golden Freddy in the first game and also uses his model. Looking at him too long will cause the game to crash. Brightening up this image reveals that Shadow Freddy is purple in color like several other key items/characters in the franchise, bearing comparisons to William Afton's minigame sprite, the Puppet's "tears", and Fredbear's hat and bow tie among other things.
Five Nights at Freddy's 3
Shadow Freddy plays its most significant role in Five Nights at Freddy's 3. In the end-of-night minigames, Shadow Freddy lures Freddy, Bonnie, Chica and Foxy in that order to the secret back room next to the toilets. Because their programming prevents them from entering it they are forced to turn around and walk away, at which point Afton ambushes them from behind and dismantles them. Shadow Freddy does not appear to the now-released ghost of one of Afton's victims however.
Rarely, the player may see Shadow Freddy slumped in the leftmost end of the Office. He once again assumes the same position that Golden Freddy does in the previous games. However unlike the second game, he doesn't cause the game to crash. He also does not attack or jumpscare the player.
Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator
Shadow Freddy makes a brief appearance in in the beginning minigame of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator.
In the minigame, Shadow Freddy shows up as an obstacle in the third level, attempting to stop Freddy from giving the children pizza. Freddy needs to throw pizza at him to stun him for a brief moment, allowing Freddy to get pizza to the children behind him. In the fourth level, he begins duplicating rapidly and the entire minigame starts glitching. The minigame cuts to black and we are introduced to Scrap Baby and the Cassette Man.
Interestingly, he is called Dark Freddy in the game files.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted
Shadow Freddy serves as Freddy Fazbear's replacement during the Parts and Service mode in hard mode, but has no changes in behavior.
Shadow Freddy is an unlockable character. He uses three attacks in the game:
- Unscrew: 30% chance to insta-kill one enemy.
- Esc Key: 15% chance of insta-killing multiple enemies.
- Waterhose: Kills all enemies under 30% health.
As Shadow Freddy's attacks all only have a small chance of actually killing someone, it's necessary to have stronger party members alongside him. Successfully insta-killing an enemy can quickly put the fight in the player's favor, though bosses are immune to this ability.
Five Nights at Freddy's: The Twisted Ones
Shadow Freddy makes a small cameo in the book. He took Clay Burke, John and Jessica into the underground location where Twisted Freddy and Charlotte Emily are.
- Fans have made theories that Shadow Freddy is actually Golden Freddy.
- Shadow Freddy is also theorized to be the apparition of one of the employees whom wore the spring-lock Fredbear suit, which malfunctioned and killed the employee. Thus the suit itself was put in storage. If this is so, it could be possible that he is a victim of William Afton.
- Shadow Freddy bears comparisons to Nightmare in overall appearance and behavior, suggesting they may be one in the same.
- This has been basically confirmed in the Fazbear Frights, as the story Hide and Seek from the sixth book had Shadow Bonnie as the main antagonist, and he appeared in the dreams of Toby, the main protagonist, as a monster with sharp teeth and claws.
- Nightmare was even called "shadow freddy" in the game files for Five Nights at Freddy's 4.
- While Shadow Freddy is dark purple while Nightmare is pitch black, this is only a color change, not to mention that different characters went through much different changes while still remaining the same person (the most notable offenders being Springtrap and Scraptrap, who are both William Afton despite the enormous changes in design).
- It's been also speculated that Shadow Freddy is nothing but pure agony due to Shadow Bonnie's connection to Remnant, which is implied to be agony.
- A popular theory is that Shadow Freddy is the spirit of the Crying Child from Five Nights at Freddy's 4, taking the form of the animatronic who killed him. It would explain why Shadow Freddy hides away in the storage room in the second game, much like the Crying Child (albeit, he was forced into the room) and also why he helps William Afton in the third game, as Afton is his father. Additionally, this theory would still hold up if the Crying Child is possessing Golden Freddy alongside the vengeful spirit of Cassidy, as it's possible that while the two spirits inhabit the suit, the Crying Child can take a pseudo-physical form of the animatronic resembling the one who killed him. It would also make sense as to why Shadow Freddy follows William to Fazbear's Fright and doesn't follow him after the events of the sixth game, as his father is (for the most part) dead (despite it being highly likely he is now Glitchtrap).
- A recent and most plausible theory is that he's William's evil in a somewhat-physical form.
- Nightmare says "I am your wickedness made of flesh" in Ultimate Custom Night, which is heavily implied to be William's hell or repeated nightmare.
- He's purple, the colour used to represent William.
- He says "Follow me" in the third game: The same thing William says in the secret ending of the Fruity Maze minigame in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator.
- He follows William, appearing where he is/was: The second game's location, Fazbear's Fright, and even The Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience (although that's likely not the real Shadow Freddy).
- Assuming he is Nightmare, then him tormenting Michael could be explained: If William wants Michael dead, then Shadow Freddy would also want Michael dead.
- However, there is also a few bits of evidence here and there that imply that Shadow Freddy isn't exactly William's evil given physical form, but is rather a dark spirit who was created with small fragments of the man's said evil. The same applies with Shadow Bonnie.
- Additionally, The Freddy Files indicate Shadow Freddy lured the animatronics to the Safe Room to help them kill their killer. Making his alliance with Afton debatable.
- It's been also theorized that he's just William Afton putting on a Freddy costume. However, Shadow Freddy can teleport during the Five Nights at Freddy's 3 minigames if the player doesn't follow him (although this is not common), thanks to which the theory isn't true.
- He's also been speculated to be the true identity of the Other Evil.
- Shadow Freddy has been also speculated to be the animatronic who left the mysterious footprints in the Midnight Motorist minigame of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, as he's already been connected to luring people in places, and the footprints match the ones that Shadow Freddy would leave.
- Some think that Shadow Freddy is the true identity of the Fredbear Plush seen throughout the Five Nights at Freddy's 4 minigames.
- The Fredbear Plush is connected to William Afton and might even be the same person: However, Afton is shown in the game as a cameo, in the same location as his son, busy helping or killing an employee. Shadow Freddy is implied to be William's evil/wickedness.
- The Midnight Motorist minigame is implied to be William coming to his house after killing Charlotte Emily, and given the theory above, the Crying Child and Shadow Freddy have been connected before.
- Despite mostly a heroic character (or at least, a neutral character helping an innocent child), the Fredbear Plush is actually somewhat controlling and manipulative, forcing the Crying Child to go to places where he will be scared by his older brother, constantly telling him that said brother hates him, and doing nothing to comfort the child when he's crying (as in, the entire time where's he's on-screen, hence the name).
- The final minigame has the Crying Child in a dark void: Nightmare proclaims that "the shadow fears [him]", and if the FNAF World loading screen is to be believed, Shadow Freddy "eats" souls.
- Coincidentally or not, the Clock Ending in FNAF World has a lot of connections to the Crying Child.
- Unlike Shadow Bonnie, who is a hero in Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Shadow Freddy is heavily implied to be a villainous character in the series.
- Unlike popular belief, he doesn't crash the game like Shadow Bonnie in the second game, or Golden Freddy in the first game.
- The crumpled Freddy suit in the third game's office was often mistaken to be Golden Freddy.