|~ Shadow Freddy's only quote.|
Shadow Freddy, also known as Purple Freddy or Dark Freddy, is a supporting antagonist in the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise.
He appears as a Easter Egg character in Five Nights at Freddy's 2, the secondary antagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 3, the first antagonist of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator and a minor antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted.
In Five Nights at Freddy's 3, he is the secondary antagonist of the minigames and an Easter Egg character in the nights.
He is also a supporting protagonist in the RPG spinoff FNAF World and appears in the novel Five Nights at Freddy's: The Twisted Ones as a minor character.
He is an enigmatic character who in the third game is helping William Afton destroy the animatronics.
Shadow Freddy has exactly the same appearance as Withered Golden Freddy's appearance, albeit being recolored dark purple. Like other withered animatronics, He is in disrepair. He completely lacks a left ear and has many tears over his body. Unlike Golden Freddy, he has large glowing bright eyes. Furthermore, his teeth are glowing white. In Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Shadow Freddy lacks the glowing white effects for the eyes and teeth, and covered with green levels that appears to be lighting from the Office itself.
In the VR game Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, he shares the exact appearance as the original Freddy Fazbear. Although he has glowing white eyes and teeth, his overall color is completely black rather than purple.
In the minigames of FNaF 3, he is a recolored sprite of Freddy.
Five Nights at Freddy's 2
In Five Nights at Freddy's 2, the player may rarely encounter what seems to be a shadow or a dark model of Freddy Fazbear. It appears in Parts/Service, sitting in the location Old Bonnie normally sits in. Shadow Freddy's appearance doesn't affect the game anyhow.
It appears to be in a slumped position, similar to that of Golden Freddy's. It also uses Golden Freddy's model. Brightening up this image reveals that this hallucination is purple in color as with several other key items/characters in the franchise, bearing comparisons to the purple figure from the secret mini-games, the Puppet's "tears", Fredbear's hat and bow tie among other things.
Five Nights at Freddy's 3
Shadow Freddy's role in Five Nights at Freddy's 3 is more significant. In this game, he appears in the Office very rarely, and all end-of-night minigames (except after beating Night 5). Shadow Freddy lures each of the animatronics to the secret room where they are attacked by Afton.
Rarely, the player may see Shadow Freddy slumped in the leftmost end of the Office. This Freddy assumes the same position that Golden Freddy does in the previous games. However unlike from the second game, he doesn't cause the game to crash. This is also true for the mobile version. He also does not attack or jumpscare the player.
Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator
Shadow Freddy makes a brief appearance in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, only in the beginning minigame.
In the beginning minigame, Shadow Freddy first appears in the fourth level and began duplicating, causing the game to glitch, until a wall of shadow variants block the child off completely. As soon it happens, the entire minigame cuts to black, later revealing Scrap Baby's salvage scene.
Interestingly, in the game files, he is called Dark Freddy.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted
Shadow Freddy serves as Freddy Fazbear's replacement during the Parts and Service mode in hard mode.
- Fans have made theories that Shadow Freddy is actually Golden Freddy.
- Shadow Freddy is also theorized to be the apparition of one of the employees whom wore the spring-lock Fredbear suit, which malfunctioned and killed the employee. Thus the suit itself was put in storage. If this is so, it could be possible that he is a victim of William Afton.
- Shadow Freddy bears comparisons to Nightmare in overall appearance and behavior, suggesting they may be one in the same.
- This has been basically confirmed in the Fazbear Frights, as the story Hide and Seek from the sixth book had Shadow Bonnie as the main antagonist, and he appeared in the dreams of Toby, the main protagonist, as a monster with sharp teeth and claws.
- It's been also speculated that Shadow Freddy is nothing but pure agony due to Shadow Bonnie's connection to Remnant, which is implied to be agony.
- A recent and most plausible theory is that he's William's evil in a somewhat-physical form.
- Nightmare says "I am your wickedness made of flesh" in Ultimate Custom Night, which is heavily implied to be William's hell or repeated nightmare.
- He's purple, the colour used to represent William.
- He says "Follow me" in the third game: The same thing William says in the secret ending of the Fruity Maze minigame in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator.
- He follows William, appearing where he is/was: The second game's location, Fazbear's Fright, and even The Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience (although that's likely not the real Shadow Freddy).
- Assuming he is Nightmare, then him tormenting Michael could be explained: If William wants Michael dead, then Shadow Freddy would also want Michael dead.
- Unlike Shadow Bonnie, who is a hero in Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Shadow Freddy is heavily implied to be a villainous character in the series.
- Unlike popular belief, he doesn't crash the game like Shadow Bonnie in the second game, or Golden Freddy in the first game.