The Seven Stars Assassins, also known in the 4Kids dub as the Shadow Riders, serve as the main antagonists in the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. Their goal is to resurrect the Three Phantasms. They consist of seven duelists and their leader.
They are gathered by the elderly Kagemaru to aid him in his quest to get back his lost youth. All seven of them are elite duelists, and everyone of them has a Dark Item (Shadow Charm in the 4Kids dub). Dark Items are items with supernatural powers of unknown origin. A long time ago, Kagemaru was forced to seal away the Three Phantasms. He locked them behind the spirit gates underneath Duel Academia. The only way to open the spirit gates is with all seven keys, which he gave to Samejima. Samejima gave the keys to the seven best duelists of the Academia, knowing that they would only open the spirit gate when the keys would be won in a fair duel.
The members of the Assassins are:
There are three Phantasms.
- Uria, Lord of Divine Flames
- Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder
- Raviel, Lord of Phantasmal Demons
All three of them have special powers, and are powerful enough to suck the life force out of other duel monster cards when summoned. They bear some similarities to the three Egyptian God cards.
- The evil group's original name, "Seven Stars" may be a reference to the Biblical Seven Stars in the Book of Revelation.
- Jaden took out five of them. With Don Zaloog and Titan were taken out by Chazz and Alexis.
- Depsite there being seven silhouettes at the start of the Shadow Rider arc, Titan and Abidos weren't recruited until the first four Riders were defeated.
- In fact the Dark Scorpions were deep undercover in the academy that same year; a minor plot hole, since CK (Don Zaloog's henchman) couldn't pose as a student for all those years.
- Only one silhouette doesn't match any of the Shadow Riders; resembling Sky Scout. Banner and Titan's silhouettes are obvious; while the other one is vague enough yo resemble Don Zaloog.