|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Ever their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Goat with a Thousand Young! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!||„|
|~ Excerpt from a Mi-go ritual.|
Shub-Niggurath is an Outer Goddess created by the late H.P. Lovecraft. She is a perverse fertility deity and the spouse of Yog-Sothoth, who is commonly called The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, since she is known to have spawned several of the Great Old Ones.
Shub-Niggurath is the offspring of the "Darkness", who in turn was spawned by Azathoth. She became the spouse of Yog-Sothoth, with whom she spawned many beings, among them Nug and Yeb, who in turned spawned Cthulhu and Tsathoggua.
She is one of the most worshipped Outer Gods, including the Hyperboreans, the Muvians, T'yog of K'naa, Mi-go, Nug-Soth and the people of Sarnath, usually in the context of harvest and lifestock. She could be summoned at the time of the new moon.
Shub-Niggurath is often described as a massive mass of tentacles and mouths, that stands on black goat-like legs.
The young of Shub-Niggurath are constantly falling of the goddess, and while many separate from their mother to some "unholy existence", other re-attach themselves to back to her.
In Popular Culture
Like many deities in from H.P. Lovecraft, Shub-Niggurath has appeared/been referenced in countless forms of Media. Some notable are:
- The game South Park: The Fractured but Whole, in which Shub-Niggurath rests under the police station, and the South Park Police Department has been sacrificing African-Americans for her.
- The Nestene Consciousness from Doctor Who is one of the "Thousand Young" of Shub-Niggurath.
- Shub-Niggurath, who serves as the final boss of the video game Quake.
- Lovataar from the universe of the SCP Foundation. She is one of the Klavigar of Sarkicism, perverse saints under Grand Karcist Ion, who represents sex, love, eroticism, pleasure, motherhood, disease, and unrestrained reproduction.
- Shub-Niggurath is implied to be the ultimate villain of Stephen King's short story Crouch End.
A Good Marriage
Cain Rose Up
Cycle of the Werewolf
From a Buick 8
Gwendy's Button Box
In The Tall Grass
Lunch at the Gotham Café
Secret Window, Secret Garden
Storm of the Century
The Dark Half
The Dark Tower
The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer
The Gingerbread Girl
The Night Flier
Why We're In Vietnam