|“||There is no obligation for the universe to make sense to you.||„|
|“||Gravity is a harness. I have harnessed the harness.||„|
Siebren de Kuiper, better known as Sigma, is an antagonist in the 2016 video game Overwatch, although he wasn't introduced until 2019. Once a successful Dutch astrophysicist, Kuiper gained the ability to control gravity at the cost of severe psychological damage from an experiment gone wrong and has become a scientist and human weapon for Talon.
He is voiced by Boris Hiestand.
Siebren was once a brilliant astrophysicist and scientist who sought to further understand how gravity works to find a way to harness gravity for everyday life. When his research on an international space station led him to accidentally opening a black hole and exposing Kuiper to its power, Siebren suffered serious psychological damage and the gravity around him began to flux peaking and dropping in response to his reactions. Siebren was returned to earth and imprisoned in a top secret facility where he would rave about the patterns of the universe and strange anomalies in the gravity around him would constantly appear. Soon his existence was discovered by Talon who proceeded to attack the facility he was held in and released him. Siebren, now known as Sigma, continued his research after being released by Talon, unaware that both he and his research are being used as weapons.
Sigma is eccentric, ambitious, and highly intelligent. However, due to his fractured mind, he often talks like a lunatic taking about a melody that only he can hear. Despite that, he still speaks in a curious or even cold tone of voice treating every event around him as an experiment.
Sigma suffers from split personality, which is demonstrated by his past self, who is "innocent" and oblivious to the crimes of his much crueler side. Then there is the terrorist, the dominant side, who behaves as explained above. However, there is also seemingly a third, who only appears very rarely. This third personality seems to be a merger of the other two, potentially being Sigma fully aware of himself. When like this, he is very soft spoken and courteous.
Powers and Abilities
- Scientific Genius: Sigma was a highly intelligent scientist and astrophysicist with an emphasis on black holes and gravity.
- Gravitokinesis/Telekinesis: Being able to manipulate gravity, Sigma is always shown floating, and appears to be able to levitate higher when necessitated. He can also lift several hundred pound humans up in the air with ease with his gravity manipulation. He is always seen in-game with Hyperspheres floating above his hand, which are dangerous orbs that implode shortly after being launched, traveling a maximum of 22 meters.
- Geokinesis: With his immense power, he can create boulders by collecting many rocks together with his gravity abilities.
- Black Hole Creation/Absorption: Sigma has defensive abilities that make him even more dangerous, including an ability called Kinetic Grasp that allows him to create a small black hole that can absorb small projectiles directly in front of him and convert them into energy shields. He also possesses an Experimental Barrier, which is a floating barrier he can propel and halt at will, and can retrieve at any time. When retrieved, the barrier can regenerate its health and be launched again.
- "Sigma" (∑) is the 18th letter of the Greek alphabet, and is known for its use in science and mathematics. It is connected to Sigma since he is an astrophysicist and has the letter on his inmate suit.
- "There is no obligation for the universe to make sense to you" is a quote by the famous real-life astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.
- Sigma received attention from Overwatch fans for being barefoot, with many people questioning the decision, which was surprisingly controversial. This eventually lead to artist Qin Fang responding that "We decided to keep the feet bare to sell the 'asylum' look a bit more." He further explained that in many institutions, patients are not allowed to have shoes because they can be used as a tool, specifically their laces, for self-harm.