|“||Between SkekUng the Garthim-Master and SkekSil the Chamberlain there was bitter rivalry, for SkekSil hoped his smiling poison and suspicious craft would lead him, not SkekUng, to succeed to the Emperor's glory. Both were deceived.||„|
|~ The World of the Dark Crystal|
|~ Skeksil's famous line.|
|“||Struggle is pointless, but Gelfling is welcome to try if helps pass time. (Rian: Don't play with your food, coward. Just kill me now.) Kill? Not kill. Dead Rian is no good to Chamberlain. No good to Skeksis. Need Rian alive. (Rian: So you can drain my essence?) So Rian can stand before Gelfling and say lied about Skeksis. (Rian: That'll never happen. I'll make sure that all of Thra knows what you truly are.) And what are Skeksis? Hmm? (Rian: Evil.) Delightful. How are Skeksis evil? Please, you tell. (Rian: You killed Mira.) All things kill. Is z'nid bird evil because it eats crawling Nurloc? (Rian: Birds eat to live.) So do Skeksis. All living things consume other things to survive. Not evil, natural. (Rian: There was nothing natural about what you did to Mira.) Death is unnatural. Death is cruel joke. Death mocks life, mocks Skeksis. But no more. Skeksis conquer death. And you, Gelfling, would do same in Skeksis place!||„|
|~ SkekSil comparing Rian and the Gelflings to the Skeksis and what they would do the same if their roles were reversed.|
SkekSil is the central antagonist of The Dark Crystal franchise. He serves as one of the two main antagonists in The Dark Crystal (the other being SkekUng), and the secondary antagonist in The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. He is the Chamberlain of the SkekSès and his counterpart of the Mystics is UrSol the Chanter.
In the original film, SkekSil was performed by Frank Oz, with the late Barry Dennen providing his voice. In the 2019 Netflix prequel series The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, he is performed by Warrick Brownlow-Pike with Simon Pegg providing his voice, the latter who also played Unkar Plutt in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
SkekSil wears a red and black robe with a large red carapace plated in sharp edges, a black lace-filled collar, and robe accents. In the movie after being stripped of his clothes, he is shown to wear maroon footwear with stilts.
SkekSil is sly and speaks in a wheedling voice that the other Skeksis loathe. He is a whining, two-faced and manipulative skulking coward who manipulates others to make his own ends meet due to his physical frailness and poor combat skills. However, if looked further, he is at least intelligent judging by his mannerisms and how SkekSil schemes to capture one of the two Gelflings.
The events of Age of Resistance cemented the fact that he is indeed much more intelligent than his simple speech patterns and compulsive whimpering might suggest. While he may appear to be a doormat, SkekSil is a relentless opportunist who will always look out for his next chance at attaining power. He was also one of the few Skeskis who knew not to wipe out the entire gelfling race in one stroke and instead breed and replenish their numbers whenever he harvests a few at a time so the amount of essence to claim is infinite. However, the other Skeksis laughed at this idea and wanted to harvest all Gelflings in one go. This suggests that SkekSil actually has better foresight than the others, aside from perhaps even the Scientist SkekTek.
The Dark Crystal
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
- As the Skeksis were meant to be based on the Seven Deadly Sins, SkekSil clearly represents lust due to his desire for power.
- Pre-production notes for the film describe the Chamberlain as "resembling an overstuffed chair, with springs, sawdust, horsehair, webbing, sacking, and underfelt layered under a carapace of carved animal limbs and a collar like a headboard."
- Although SkekUng is said to be his rival, SkekSil was also in rivalry with the first general SkekVar during Dark Crystal: Age of the Resistance. It is possible that the Chamberlain started his rivalry with SkekUng after murdering SkekVar.
- SkekSil is the most popular out of all the Skeksès, as he has more defined character than the others, and also having the most prominent appearances in both the 1982 film and the 2019 prequel series.
- Since SkekSil is responsible for the idea of draining the Gelfing race, he is considered the overall main antagonist of The Dark Crystal franchise.
- His goals are similar to Starscream of the Transformers, whom many fans compare SkekSil to. While Starscream was constantly trying to take Megatron's place, SkekSil never tried to overthrow SkekSo to become Emperor, but he was ready to eliminate his rivals to keep his rank, although he is trying to become Emperor after SkekSo's death and after failing and being banned, SkekSil is just content to regain his place among the Skeksès and did not try to eliminate SkekUng despite his aversion to him. This shows that SkekSil is not as power-hungry as Starscream.