|“||That's the Big One!||„|
|~ Hank Marlow|
Skull Devil, also known as The Big One or Ramarak, is one of the two main antagonists (alongside Preston Packard) of the 2017 action/adventure film Kong: Skull Island, the second installment in Legendary's MonsterVerse, despite having little screen time. She is the queen of the Skullcrawlers on Skull Island and Kong's primary adversary who is said to be responsible for slaughtering his kind on the island, leaving Kong as the only survivor.
Kong: Skull Island
Despite being the main antagonist, Skull Devil's role is small as she doesn't appear throughout the entire movie until the climax, but is said to be responsible for the extinction of Kong's species as well as described to be the most terrifying, feared creature on Skull Island.
Fighting Kong and his Allies
After Skull Devil was awakened due to seismic explosives being dropped onto Skull Island along with the rest of her kind and Kong was incapacitated by Preston Packard, he let Skull Devil's presence be known by emerging out from the water. She heads quickly to Kong, who crushes Packard with his fist and then begins to fight against him while James Conrad and the others escape. Skull Devil injures and subdues Kong before she pursues the survivors, who are running towards the waiting boat just as dawn approaches.
Skull Devil soon catches up to the group, but Earl Cole stays to sacrifice himself by blowing himself and Skull Devil up with grenades strapped to him. However, Skull Devil sees this and whips Cole away with her tail into the side of a mountain which causes the grenades to explode, killing him. Before Skull Devil can proceed to kill the survivors, it was revealed that Cole's sacrifice had given enough time for Kong to appear and smash a large boulder over Skull Devil's head, allowing the survivors to escape while the two monsters begin their epic battle. During the fight, Kong picks up a large tree and uses it as a club to swing it against Skull Devil's face, although the giant Skullcrawler is barely fazed. Unfortunately, Skull Devil wraps her tail around Kong and throws the giant ape onto a wrecked ship where Kong becomes entangled in heavy chains of the ship itself. Before Skull Devil can proceed to kill her prey, she is distracted by Houston Brooks and Lin San with gunfire from Hank Marlow's boat armed with mounted guns.
Distracted, Skull Devil turns her attention to the boat until the guns cut off, leaving them defenseless to the Skullcrawler until Mason Weaver, stood atop a cliff, shoots her in the eye with a flare which then explodes, blinding Skull Devil and allowing Conrad to lure her away from Brooks and San on the boat. This distraction gives Kong enough time to free himself and use a propeller attached to a chain like a flail to land a vicious blow on Skull Devil's back. He then uses the chain to drag the Skullcrawler toward him, pulls the propeller out and uses it as a shuriken to slice Skull Devil's throat open, apparently killing her. However, Weaver was knocked off the cliff during the battle and had caused her to fall into the water below, but Kong manages to save her from drowning.
However, Skull Devil is revealed to be still alive and attacks Kong once more. In the ensuing fight, Skull Devil uses her prehensile tongue to wrap around Kong's fist in order to devour Weaver. As Skull Devil pulls her and Kong's hand into her mouth, Kong uses all of his strength to pull his fist out with the Skullcrawler's tongue still around it, but also pulled out all of Skull Devil's organs, finally killing her and avenging Kong's kind.
As the tyrannical queen of the Skullcrawlers, Skull Devil had better self-control than the smaller individuals. This was seen when she appeared only once Kong was subdued by Preston Packard. She also seems to have a hint of sadism, as she licks Kong's face maliciously after he has been tangled up in a shipwreck's rudder chain during their battle. Skull Devil was also shown to have a deep desire of killing and eating humans, which was shown several times when she diverted her attention from Kong to James Conrad and Mason Weaver, implying that she acts not only from primal instinct, but some degree of malice and cruelty. Skull Devil also demonstrates some intelligence when she swats Earl Cole away with her tail before the grenades can detonate.
Powers and Abilities
- Titan/Skullcrawler Physiology: As both a titan and a Skullcrawler, Skull Devil is incredibly powerful; as she possesses various physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of most other titans and Skullcrawlers.
- Enhanced Strength: Due to her huge size since she is the queen of her kind, Skull Devil is known as the strongest of all the Skullcrawlers as she grappled and wrestled against Kong. She even threw Kong a considerable distance, despite the giant ape weighing 158 tons.
- Enhanced Durability: Skull Devil's durability also topped that of her species, as she was fine after Kong smashed a boulder on top of her head, whacked her across the face with a fallen tree and sliced her throat open with a boat propeller.
- Enhanced Stamina: Skull Devil possesses far more stamina then most other titans; allowing her to remain physically active for long periods of time and even fight against Kong without getting tired or exhausted.
- Enhanced Speed and Agility: Skull Devil is much faster and more agile than most other titans and Skullcrawlers.
- High Intelligence: Skull Devil is smarter than the other Skullcrawlers as well, considering the fact that she swatted Earl Cole away when he tried to get Skull Devil to devour him while he was holding grenades that was about to detonate.
- Prehensile Tail: Skull Devil's long prehensile tail was able to constrict unfortunate victims such as Kong.
- Prehensile Tongue: Just like the other Skullcrawlers, Skull Devil possesses a long triple-forked prehensile tongue that she can use to grab and swallow her prey. However, it is connected to her internal organs, so if it were to be pulled out, her organs would be yanked out as well, as she would die within seconds.
- Skull Devil is the second monster villain to be a female in the MonsterVerse franchise, following the Eight-Legged M.U.T.O. and M.U.T.O. Prime.