Chrysocolla or the "Slinker" is a Gem monster and a villain in the Steven Universe. This creature first appears in "Reformed" as the episode's antagonist, and later reappeared in "Novelty Backpack" as a minor antagonist in the episode.
The Slinker is a plant-like corrupted gem with root-like tentacles and a square gemstone inside it. The Crystal Gems detected in Amethyst's room of the Crystal Temple. It slithers and scurries in Amethyst item piles and even manages to destroy her physical form multiple times. When it tried to consume her gemstone, Garnet knocked it into another item pile, never to be seen again. It's still at large.
It resembles a dark, flowering plant. The monster consists of four dark-blue petals, which acts as its mouth, and are light-blue on the inside. Each petal also has five thorn-like projections nearing the tip. The petals are connected together by a darker-blue bulb that tapers to a point. The bulb is connected to multiple vines used as appendages, with two vines having a leaf-like structure at the end.
In its uncorrupted form this gem looks like its corrupted version only that it has a hump, dark circles in the eyes, it has petals like those of a carnivorous plant (the one below is a beard and the others are similar as if it had hair) and has a robe or dress with a torn skirt
At some point in time, the corrupted Chrysocolla (not referred to by this name in the episode) entered the Crystal Temple. She is first spotted by Pearl, who later informs the other Crystal Gems of Chrysocolla's presence. After discovering the tunnels Chrysocolla had dug within the Temple, Garnet begins to pursue Chrysocolla inside Amethyst's Room. Amethyst and Steven later join Garnet in her search. Despite their combined effort, the three Crystal Gems struggle to capture Chrysocolla. The corrupted Chrysocolla is able to poof Amethyst four times, stalling her pursuers in each instance and using the opportunity to escape. After Amethyst poofs for the fourth time, the Crystal Gems defer their search to regroup at the Beach House.
Powers and Abilities
- Physical Vigor: The Slinker is a very fast, limber, sturdy creature, able to withstand multiple hits from Amethyst and Garnet. It also has great physical strength, able to force Amethyst to retreat to her gem with a single bite from its "jaws" or a squeeze from its tentacles.
- Stealth: As its name implies, the Slinker is very good at moving quietly and hiding.
- Burrowing: It is able to move through the ground with ease, forming circular tunnels that lead into different parts of Amethyst's Room.
- Prehensile Appendages: Its vines are very prehensile, able to entangle enemies with a tight grip to the point of constriction.
- Projectile Goop: It can secrete a dark, ink-like substance that it seems to be able to shoot across long distances.
- It forced Amethyst to retreat to her gemstone four times.
- As such, it is the only known Gem Monster to have forced a Crystal Gem to regenerate.
- It is one of the few corrupted Gems whose gemstone was not seen on the show.
- However, its gemstone is shown in its model sheet.
- Steven coined its name. Amethyst disliked the name, but Garnet claimed that "the name stuck", and thus they referred to the corrupted Gem by this name.
- It resembles the flowering plant Hydnora africana.
- The Slinker is the third Gem Monster to have a name stated in the show, the first being the Centipeetle and the second being the Desert Glass.
- Throughout its debut appearance it seems to attack using stealth and the element of surprise when fighting.
- The Slinker is shown attacking the Gems in the Beach House during the short "Novelty Backpack".
- It appears to be able to squirt out a form of slime/ink.
- Although she uses the pronoun She looks more masculine, however, in her uncorrupted form, she may use the pronoun He