|“||Your stupidity will ruin everything, you ugly boil.||„|
|~ Snively's famous quote.|
Snively (real name: Colin Kintobor Jr. of the House of Ivo) is an evil genius who is the nephew of the infamous mad scientist Doctor Robotnik, he is the major antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog universe and the secondary antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM TV show. Starting out as a lowly henchmen for his uncle Robotnik, Snively is really a greedy, cunning, secretive, opprobrious, uncompromising and manipulative madman who is just waiting for the right time to get revenge on people who wronged him.
He was formerly known as Colin Kintobor Jr. or Snively Robotnik in the Pre-Super Genesis Wave timeline and was a 31-year-old human Overlander native to Sonic the Hedgehog's home world, the planet Mobius. He was the nephew of the infamous despot Doctor Ivo Robotnik. He despises his uncle's pet bird Cluck and they both never get along. Snively is extremely devious, eccentric, and treacherous, so he was responsible for his uncle's death when he reprogrammed the Ultimate Annihilator to target only his DNA. Following this, Snively attempted to secure control over his once-late-uncle's technocratic empire, only to be captured and imprisoned by the Freedom Fighters. After escaping from prison and being the temporary leader of the other escapees, Snively at one point joined the alternate-universe counterpart of his deceased uncle, Dr. Eggman Robotnik, though his alliance to him has ended temporarily on numerous occasions. He will often align himself with whoever he has to in order to survive, only to back-stab them in the end. Snively has shown compassion however, specifically towards his half-sister Hope. He now works for the Guardian Units of Nations but he is still a pompous, ambitious, egocentric, vituperative, calculating and dangerous man that one must never trust.
He was voiced by Charlie Adler, who also played Gazeem in Disney's Aladdin, Hamilton in Disney's Tarzan, Buck Huckster in Danger Rangers, Panza in the 1996 animated film version of The Prince and the Pauper, and Red Guy in Cow & Chicken.
Snively is truly deceitful, duplicitous, surreptitious, manipulative, and fraudulent. He is shown as a perfidious, mordant, greedy, and treacherous person who has secretly resented bearing the brunt of Robotnik's abuse. On a few occasions, Snively has taken over Robotropolis and played at being a domineering and oppressive dictator while his uncle was away. Snively's rule never lasts very long, as he wasn't a terribly shrewd and sharp-witted villain; He reprograms his uncle's SWATbots to make him snacks and fetch him things, rather than focusing on more important tasks like hunting down the Freedom Fighters (which Snively has insisted he could do more efficiently than Robotnik). He even gone so far at least to rename the grim industrial city of Robotropolis "Snivopolis to suit his clean but egotistical taste during his rule for a short time before Doctor Robotnik's return from the Death Egg. However, Snively has on occasion to be shown as or more dangerous than Robotnik. Then again, it was his treacherous ways that forced his father to boot him out of his home.
It appears that he takes a great deal of pride in his hair, or what is left of his hair. When Shadow swiped his last six strands, retrieving his hair was his top priority. He even put tracers in his hair, individually. Tails and Knuckles realized this after Tails noticed there was a beacon in Freedom HQ (Shadow had brought the hairs there) and Knuckles commented, "He's Eggman's nephew. They're all insane!".
Unsurprisingly, his sanity has been called into question on more than one occasion.
Snively cannot act "himself" around Eggman, which is why he secretly goes online, chatting with an anonymous person over the Egg Network.
Snively found love with a Sub-Boss by the name of Regina Ferrum during a routine surveillance check. The two have since been talking to each other via the Egg Network and have become quite close, even sending each other gifts. Eventually the two lovebirds took over the Eggman Empire but when Regina was imprisoned, Snively was forced against his will to leave her behind. After a long while working for Eggman, he finally made his move. He distracted Eggman, went to the Dragon Kingdom, and liberated Regina from her prison. Following a minor mishap with Regina scolding Snively for leaving her, the two kiss and make-up and battle Eggman.
Snively is an extremely short and skinny human. He has a huge, light-bulb like head that is dominated by large green eyes and a big and very long nose. He is also bald except for a few strands of black hair on it. In "Blast to the Past", Snively had a full head of brown hair, although it has blown off from the rush of air from Sonic accelerating to full speed nearby. Snively speaks with a snide nasal English accent.
Snively originally wore a uniform consisting of a green shirt over a light green turtleneck, light green pants, brown belt and brown boots. He wears a green jacket very similar to his uncle's, but without the yellow square buttons, and a black pants/shoes suit like his uncle and white, cuff-less gloves.
Powers and Abilities
A technical genius of considerable skill, though often outshined by his uncle, Snively is a (scientific) force to be reckoned with, robotics-engineering and programming being the two most prominent skills at his disposal. Despite his short stature and frail looking frame, Snively is capable of physical activity, he has a noted affection and affinity for a winter sport called "hockey" and was willing to put his hostility aside for a game. Snively is very well known to have two great skills at his disposal which makes a brilliant and dangerous madman:
- Genius Intellect: Snively boasts intelligence almost equal to his uncle's, though he is rarely in any position to flaunt it. Although he is denied Eggman's vast resources, he possesses excellent electronic expertise and can easily hack into almost any computerised system. He is also an expert pilot and has operated many of his uncle's mecha.
- Treachery: Snively is a natural born liar and manipulator. He cares about no one but himself and will betray anyone to get what he wants. He and Dr. Eggman have tried to kill each other through treacherous means for years, using each other's strengths and weaknesses to gain advantage over the other. It has become something of a game to them.
Snively appears as the secondary antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM animated series. He was voiced by Charlie Adler. After the end of the Great War, Snively plotted against King Maximillian Acorn (who is only called "the king" in the animated series) with his uncle Julian in a plot to seize the throne and assisted him in taking over Mobotropolis. While Snively was under the impression that he would rule the planet alongside his uncle, he was soon reduced to a lackey and servant by Julian shortly before Julian's takeover of Mobius.
In an alternate timeline created when Sonic and Sally travel back to the past to prevent Julian's coup, but failed, Sonic rushed past Snively and caused him to lose most of his hair due to the suction from his speed, leaving only a few strands. This left Snively with personal reasons for loathing the hedgehog. After his uncle's successful takeover, Snively served over the next 10 years as the underling and assistant to Julian, now having renamed himself Robotnik. While he was just as active in planning and machine-building as his uncle, Snively was constantly ridiculed by Robotnik, being abused both physically and psychologically, leaving him in a miserable existence. Because of all the abuse he endured from his uncle, Snively came to despise Robotnik and began to secretly plan against him to seize his empire for his own. During the completion of the Doomsday Project, Snively tried to correct Robotnik into vanquishing Sonic, but was denied. When Sonic and Sally used the Deep Power Stones to demolish the Doomsday Project, the destruction forced Robotnik and Snively to escape. When Robotnik refused to let Snively into his escape hovercraft, he instead escaped into an elevator. Later, Snively arose from the wreckage, glad that his uncle was finally defeated (with his hovercraft never made the escape), before moving to take his place and battle the Freedom Fighters himself, with the help of Ixis Naugus.
Plans for the unproduced Season 3 had Snively starting off as the main antagonist. Snively intended to rebuild and conquer Robotropolis, but failed. As previously stated, as a result, Snively manages to free Naugus from the Void, and in the process, accidentally freed Robotnik and King Max Acorn as well. Enlisting Naugus' help in taking over, Naugus would eventually overthrow Snively, and claim the role of the main antagonist. With Robotnik and the King now forced to be Naugus' puppets, Snively would be reduced to not only an even more pathetic lackey than before, but now an insignificant nobody. Having a change of heart, Snively would have defected from the Robotnik Empire, and would join the Freedom Fighters, in order to bring Naugus down in revenge. However, despite this alliance, Snively would still scheme ways to destroy his former enemies behind their backs, unknown to anyone but Antoine, who would eventually stop him. Having expected as much from Snively, he would be excommunicated by the Fighters, leaving him alone. After Naugus' defeat, Snively and Dr. Robotnik would likely reconcile and continue to scheme against Sonic and his crew.
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Nasty Hyenas
- Ixis Naugus
- King Acorn (formerly)
- Charles the Hedgehog (formerly)
- The Acorn Royal Family (formerly)
- Freedom Fighters
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sally Acorn
- Rotor the Walrus
- Bunnie Rabbot
- Antoine D'Cooletters
- Dulcy the Dragon
- Nicole the Holo-Lynx
- Lupe the Wolf
- Wolf Pack
- Rosie the Woodchuck
- Uncle Chuck /Charles the Hedgehog
- King Acorn
- The Acorn Royal Family
- Ari the Ram
- Griff the Goat
- Keeper of the Time Stones
|“||Snively: "Good morning, Dr. Robotnik. Exciting trip?"
Doctor Robotnik: "Shut up, Snively."
|~ Snively and Robotnik when the latter returns to Robotropolis.|
|“||You don't give me enough credit, Julian!||„|
|~ Snively's other famous quote (referring to his uncle Dr. Robotnik's old name).|
|“||YE-E-E-ES! Hahahaha! The big round guy finally let Sonic defeat him. Well don't celebrate too soon, Hedgehog! Now, it's my turn! Hahahahahaha! (winks) Ah. And I'm NOT ALONE!||„|
|~ Snively rising to power.|
- Snively's plans to conquer Mobius with extra help after Robotnik's defeat is reminiscent of that of his SatAM counterpart at the end of the series finale "The Doomsday Project", as he said the last lines: "So, the Big Round Guy finally let Sonic defeat him. Well, don't celebrate too soon, hedgehog. Because now it's my turn, and I am not alone!".
- He feels like a replacement of Scratch & Grounder from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- In SatAM, Sonic gave Snivley rude nicknames: "Shrimp Boat", "Snoutley", "Snootley", "Slimely", etc.
- Snively's name is likely a pun on the term sniveling which means whining and pitiful as it fits his own personality.
- Snively and Cluck have a mutual disliking for one another, Snively because Cluck annoys him, and Cluck because Snively uses a remote to pop Cluck's eyes out.
- Snively was going to be in Sonic the Comic, due to the fact SatAM was going to air, but writer Nigel Kitching created Grimer instead.
- Snively was never featured in the comics until Sonic the Hedgehog #8 (although he appeared in the "Christmas" back-up story in Sonic the Hedgehog #6), wearing an all white outfit. After this, Snively was almost always seen wearing a blue top and brown pants, as opposed to his SatAM counterpart, who always wore green. Despite Snively's introduction to the series relatively early on, the Badnik Crabmeat would act as Robotnik's close lackey more than Snively for numerous issues, until the Badniks were, for the most part, faded out of the storyline.
- Snively's post-Super Genesis Wave first name, Julian, was originally the real first name of his uncle Dr. Eggman in the original timeline and in the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series.
- Snively appears to have some built in cybernetics, as he not only had a switch operating a door on the back of his hand, but controlled his Eggbots with remotes resembling his thumbnails. One nail even has a communicator. Whether or not they remained after he was roboticized and derobotized is unknown. He also has GPS trackers in his last 6 hairs.
- Also, he wears a green outfit that is similar to Doctor Eggman's, (possibly a reference to the Super Mario Bros. as a joke since Mario and Sonic were video game rivals).
- Former writer Ken Penders revealed on his forum that in his post-#159 plans, he originally intended to kill off Snively in a heroic act while he attempted to shut down an unstable nuclear power plant with the help of the Freedom Fighters. Snively's death would have hit Sonic hard with grief and would have caused uneasiness between all his friends.
- Karl Bollers also had ideas for Snively post issue #134, which would have included Snively creating a battle suit for himself a new identity in order to battle his uncle; as "Snarkey" he would also have formed an alliance with Shadow.
- The cause for Snively losing his hair was due to "male-pattern baldness" which afflicted the geniuses of the family, as he claimed to his father Colin, but in the animated SatAM series it was caused by a time traveling Sonic. Both series feature Snively being quite fond of his hair, and becoming vengeful upon losing it.
- Snively's eyes were originally blue, however during the middle of the series they were changed to green, they're now currently blue again.
- Snively has many similarities to the character Gollum from The Lord of the Rings. In appearance both are short individuals, have long stringy individual hairs and bluish eye color. In personality both are snivilling, greedy, cowardly, and back stabbing individuals. It's possible that Snively was inspired by Gollum, but no evidence exists that this was intended.
- According to a Twitter conversation with Ian Flynn, Snively is no longer related to Dr. Eggman in the Post-Super Genesis Wave universe. This is due to SEGA mandates not allowing family for the main game cast.
- When it comes to personalities, Snively share the personalty with Starscream from Transformers and Baxter Stockman from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT). Only differences are that Starscream is far more braver, destructive and even crazier compared to Baxter and Snively, as he actively and continuously tries to over throw Megatron, and does not hide his treacherous ego, Baxter is more focused and independent compared to Starscream and Snively, and Snively is smarter and far more cunning compared to Starscream and Baxter. Despite their differences, their certain similarity is that they try to be loyal to their evil bosses at first, be threatened by them if something goes wrong for the bosses, and even betray their bosses for their own purposes as long as they fight against the heroes as well. However, Starscream and Snively have actually worked with their enemies before for a common cause and have even joined the heroes faction for a while.
- Because of the mandates that Sega created after the lawsuit Ken Penders tried to file against and the conflict with Archie Snively like all the characters from SatAM had to go to through some changes and had to receive a design to make him look more like the video game characters.