The Source of All Evil, or simply The Source, is the supreme antagonist in the TV show Charmed. The title or moniker of The Source of All Evil is bestowed upon the most powerful demon who then becomes ruler of the underworld. The Source refers also to an entity or being that merges with a powerful demon, even moving to a new host if the first is defeated or vanquished.
The most prominent Source of All Evil was the demon known as the half-faced Source, who had been in power for centuries. His face was mutilated from his battles during his rise to power and only a few demons had ever seen his face. This Source was the ruler of the Underworld for centuries and defeated all opposition until he was vanquished by the Charmed Ones.
The First Source, also known as the half-faced Source, was responsible for incarcerating the powerful demon Zankou and The Tall Man. He is also responsible for banishing numerous beings from the underworld, such as the vampires, wizards, Kurzon, and possibly even Hecate. Among the Source's many demonic powers are throwing fireballs, teleportation (flaming), manipulating flame, shape-shifting, summoning demons and evil beings, mind control and possession.
As Piper Halliwell is about to relinquish her powers in a battle against an alternate version of herself known as Fury, Cole bombards the Source with energy balls as he stands immobile controlling Piper's mind. Cole is eventually able to wound The Source, but as he attempts to kill the Source, his attack is blocked by the Source's Oracle, who dies so the Source can escape.
This battle leaves room for a new oracle known as The Seer to become an adviser to The Source. Later, the Seer betrays the Source by contacting Cole and giving him the Hollow to help defeat the Source. The Seer and Phoebe then use their combined abilities to put the Hollow back in its crypt. However, neither Cole nor the Charmed Ones know that the Seer intends for Cole to become the next Source. When the Source died, the Seer told the sisters that his powers went "into the void." She was referring to the void inside of Cole where Belthazor had once been. She believed that the Source's essence would enter that void and completely take Cole over.
Cole soon starts having nightmares of becoming the new Source, and begins flaming under the Source's influence. He tries to fight the evil growing in him, to no avail. Within a week of the Source's vanquish, it has almost completely taken over Cole.
To complete his plan to turn Phoebe evil and destroy the Power of Three, Cole orders the Seer to give Phoebe a prenatal tonic that will not only strengthen the baby, but destroy Phoebe's good side. However, even under the twin influences of the baby and the tonic, Phoebe still can't bring herself to choose between Cole and her sisters.
After being vanquished, Cole and the Source finally end up as separate beings in the Demonic Wasteland, where demons usually go after being vanquished. As Cole was born half-human (and was in fact fully mortal at the time of his first vanquish), he has a soul while full-blooded demons have no souls. His soul is stuck in the wasteland and has to face a giant monster feeding on the powers of the vanquished demons.
|“||You know how powerful my visions are. More so even than the Oracle's were and more accurate.||„|
|~ The Seer speaking to the then Source of All Evil|
The Seer was an upper-level demon with the power to see the future, as well as the surrogate mother of the Source's Heir.
The Seer secretly intended for Cole to become the next Source. She knew that there was a void in Cole's soul where Belthazor had once been, and believed that the Source would enter that void and completely take him over. After Cole realizes that he has taken on the Source's powers, the Seer acts as his principal advisor. She initially opposed Cole's determination to make Phoebe his queen, though she helped him trick Phoebe into marrying him in a dark wedding so that his son would be born evil. While Cole believed he could use Phoebe's love for him to turn her evil (or at least separate her from her sisters), the Seer thought Phoebe's love could sway Cole away from evil.
Unknown to Cole, the Seer had engineered two attempts to kill Phoebe in hopes that he would make her his queen instead. Soon after his coronation, Cole ordered the Seer to give Phoebe a tonic that would not only strengthen her baby son, but destroy Phoebe's good side as well. When Phoebe found out about this, as well as the fact that Cole killed an innocent her sisters were protecting, she renounced her crown and joined her sisters in vanquishing Cole.
After Cole was vanquished, the Seer stole Phoebe's unborn child - the heir of the Source of All Evil, and transferred it into her body by use of a spell. She told Phoebe that the child was never hers nor Cole's, but that it was hers since the moment of conception. The Seer then called the Council and became the new Source.
She was vanquished soon after when she attempted to kill the Charmed Ones, as she could not handle all of the baby's power. As the Seer threw fire at them, the sisters chanted the Power of Three spell, which created a protective shield around the cage. When the child's power overwhelmed the Seer, she vanquished herself and all demons present.
The original half-faced Source was briefly resurrected by a Possessor Demon. However, as the Source was bound to the Possessor Demon through the magic used to resurrect him, he was re-killed when Piper vanquished the demon with Molecular Combustion.
Powers and Abilities
As the ruler of the Underworld and all that's evil, The Source is one of the most powerful magical beings in the series, and one of the Charmed Ones' greatest enemies. He has displayed a multitude of powers, more than any other demon in the series. Notable instances of his great powers are when he delayed Cole's death so that Phoebe could see him die, and by blocking Phoebe's premonitions about Cole for months. He is extremely difficult to truly vanquish due his existence as an essence of evil, even surviving being destroyed by the Power of Three on more than one occasion. After being reborn as a Golem, the Source's already immense powers grow even further due to his powerful new body, and he could only truly be vanquished when the sisters attacked him with the Excalibur, a potion brewed with the power of the entire good Magical Community and a more powerful version of the Power of Three spell.
Aside from his powers, the Source is an intelligent and cunning demon, having ruled the Underworld for centuries and dealing with all kinds of threats and concealing his true nature to other demons. He also has an understanding of the human nature and has exploited the sisters' bonds, their desires on a peaceful life and their calling to protect the innocents to his advantage on more than one occasion.
- Basic Powers:
- Spell Casting: The ability to cast spells and perform rituals. When Cole was the Source, he casted a curse on a facial cream so that Phoebe would have an allergic reaction. The curse also tampered with the effects of a vanishing spell, causing Phoebe to become invisible. Also, as a Golem, the Source was able to cast a spell to magnify the effects of Hogan's Discord power, causing the near-entire mortal population of San Francisco to attack the Charmed Ones.
- Active Powers:
- Conjuration: The ability to draw objects into existence out of thin air. As Cole, the Source once used this power to conjure an athame and even an entire diner table for him and Phoebe.
- Electrokinesis: The ability to create strong forces of lightning and electricity. Used when possessing Shane.
- Energy Balls: The ability to throw spheres of energy that resemble electrical discharges.
- Energy Beam: The power to shoot deadly beams of energy, usually through the hands, at a intended target. Used as a Golem.
- Energy Blast: The ability to shoot an incredibly powerful blast of pure energy, hitting a target with great force. Used when possessing Shane, through his eyes.
- Flaming: The ability to teleport through flames.
- Fire Balls: The ability to throw spheres of fire. The Fire Balls used by the Source had a distinct upper-level appearance, manifesting as swirling metallic rings engulfed in flames. After his ressurection as a Golem, his fire balls increased in destructive power, causing large explosions on impact and he could also produce much larger ones than the typical hand-held ones.
- Force Fields: The ability to generate protective force fields. The Source possessed the ability to cast an invisible force field around himself, which would manifest itself in a flash of flames and violently repel those who came in contact with it.
- Incineration: The ability to incinerate a being with intense fire through a single look.
- Invisibility: The ability to become unseen by the naked eye. The Source used this power while posing as a Chameleon Demon and followed Piper through an alley.
- Mind Manipulation: The ability to manipulate the minds of others. The Source once used this power to enter and manipulate the mind of Piper Halliwell to make her think magic was never real.
- Suggestion: The ability to project oneself as an inner voice to others, implanting suggestions and thoughts to unknowing victims. Used when possessing Shane.
- Portal Creation: The ability to create portals to other locations or planes. The Source once opened a portal through which he vanquished the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. He also created a portal which would suck the losers of the wrestling ring of Kellman's Academy to Purgatory.
- Apportation: The ability to teleport objects from one place to another. As Cole, the Source used this ability multiple times to remove the evidences of his interactions with Demons.
- Possession: The ability to possess and control the body of other being by entering it.
- Pyrokinesis: The ability to create and manipulate fire via the power of the mind.
- Rising: The ability to magically defy gravity and rise immediately upright when falling or after a fall.
- Shapeshifting: The ability to alter one's physical shape to assume the appearance of another.
- Summoning: The ability to summon someone into the user's vicinity.
- Banishing: The ability to cast one out and forbid their return.
- Super Speed: The ability to move at supernatural speeds.
- Super Strength: Magically augmented physical strength. As a Golem, his raw physical strength is further augmented, due to his new massive physique.
- Thermokinesis: The ability to control and manipulate heat. As Cole, he used this power to rapidly heat up and vaporize a Harpy's cut-off hand.
- Technopathy: The ability to control and manipulate all forms of technology. As Cole he triggered a smoke alarm, a toaster and to cause his phone to ring.
- Telepathy: The ability to hear and broadcast one's thoughts and those of others.
- Transformation: The ability to alter the physical shape of another being or object. As Cole, the Source once used this power to turn The Seer into a man to avoid detection.
- Telekinesis: The ability to move objects and beings with the power of the mind. **Crushing: The ability to surround an objects or power with pressure, causing it to be destroyed.
- Sleep Induction: The power to put someone to sleep on command.
- Other Powers:
- Adjusting: The ability to resist and fight through inhibitory molecular-based powers.
- High Resistance: The ability to be highly resistant to physical and magical harm. Enhanced after becoming a Golem, due to his new body's stone skin, as Piper noted that her new power would be useless against him, instead resorting into using the Excalibur.
- Immortality: The ability to have an infinite lifespan and an arrested aging process.
- Reconstitution: The ability to reform the body once it has been destroyed. The Source was able to reconstitute himself after being blown up by Molecular Combustion.
- Sensing: The ability to sense the location of other magical beings.
- Soul Projection: The ability to contain souls of the dead in physical vessels.
- The half-faced Source was responsible for incarcerating the powerful demon Zankou and banishing numerous beings from the Underworld, such as Vampires and the demon Kurzon, and the near extinction of Wizards.
- The Source was the main antagonist during the first four seasons, though he was not formally introduced until "All Hell Breaks Loose". It is assumed that the Source was the "he" mentioned by the warlocks Rex and Hannah in "Wicca Envy". The Source was first officially named in "Give Me a Sign" by Litvack.
- After being absorbed by Cole Turner, he becomes the secondary antagonist in the fourth season. This was to make way for the season's true main villain to emerge.
- Hecate was mentioned as being the Queen of the Underworld, though it is unknown if she was connected to the Source.
- The Source's appearance changed drastically between "All Hell Breaks Loose" and "Charmed Again". This is due to the Source being portrayed by another actor in Season 4. Additionally, the color of his hands changed three times.
- The Source's face was first seen in "Charmed and Dangerous" when he was attacked by The Devil. It is mentioned that only upper-level demons and the Charmed Ones have seen his face.
- The half-faced Source was said to have been the Source for thousands of years, however a Dark Priest said that it only had been five hundred years.
- The Source is shown to have black blood. However, Cole Turner mentioned that upper-level demons have red blood.
- The Source was aware of the prophecy of the Twice-Blessed Child, but did not live to see Wyatt come to be until this brief resurrection in late 2005.
- The Source possessed a sword, which he only used once, when he stabbed Cole Turner.
- Prue Halliwell is the only Charmed One to have never met the Source. Her death, at the hands of the assassin Shax, occurred in the same episode as the Source's first appearance.
- The Avatars seem to have been comparable in power to the Source, as in 2004, around the time of the Avatars' 21st-century rise, an Elder told Leo Wyatt that they had sensed a power like no other since the Source was alive.
- Actor Peter Woodward, who portrayed the half faced Source, also appears as the demon Aku in the season 7 episodes "Someone to Witch Over Me" and "Ordinary Witches."
- Despite being the longest running main villain of the series, he was vanquished about halfway through the fourth season.
- It is implied throughout the series that the balance of magic is maintained by rules created by the good witches known as The Elders, and presumably The Source of All Evil, though this relationship is only mentioned and never explicitly described or shown.