|“||The most important thing is my life! My promotion! If I let them go freely, who will protect me when something happens?||„|
Spandam is the leader of the CP9 in One Piece. He is a cowardly Government agent who would do anything for his own being. He is the main antagonist in the Enies Lobby Saga but the main threat is really his right hand man, Rob Lucci. He also appear in One Piece Film: Gold as the secondary antagonist.
He was voiced by Masaya Onosaka in the Japanese version, and Christopher Corey Smith in the English dubbed version.
At most times, Spandam can be very klutzy and tends to spill his hot coffee on himself. He also has the habit to get hurt making him mostly a comedic villain like Buggy. However, Spandam can also be a malicious individual, especially at times when he is gloating over his opponents. Spandam would even hit Robin which is an act that even disgusts Rob Lucci himself.
Spandam, despite being the leader of CP9, is the weakest member with him even being weaker than a common Marine. However, Spandam makes up for it by being very manipulative as he managed to trick the people of Water 7 and Jorge into thinking Tom was the one that attacked the judicial ship. Spandam also wields a sword called "Funkfreed" that actually "ate" a Devil Fruit known as the Zo Zo no Mi which is a Zoan based Devil Fruit that allows the sword to transform into either an elephant hybrid or a full elephant.
Years ago, Spandam, along with his CP5 agents at the time, was sent to Water 7 to uncover the blueprints to an ancient weapon known as Pluton that is able to destroy the world. Spandam knew that Tom had the blueprints but the fisherman shipwright claims he doesn't have the blueprints and sends Spandam on his way. However, Spandam is displeased even more so that Tom is going to be let go despite being involved for building the ship Oro Jackson for the Pirate King Gol D. Roger. Spandam then sets up a plan that involves him using his CP5 agents to steal Franky's (going by Cutty Flam at the time) battle ships and attacks the judicial ship. Spandam's plan manages to work as he is able to frame Tom and his shipwrights (Iceburg and Franky) for the crime. Tom manages to punch Spandam away but this only urges the Marines to tranquilize Tom. Jorge then orders the Marines to let go of Iceburg and Franky and take Tom on board the Puffing Tom where he will be taken to Enies Lobby to be executed. Soon, Spandam is pistol whipped by Franky scarring his face for life and Spandam orders the Marines to take him down. Franky manages to get away but soon reappears in the front of the Sea Train Puffing Town. However, Franky ends up getting run over much to Spandam's delight and continue on to Enies Lobby.
- Spandam's mask may be a reference to the mask worn by former WWE wrestler Mick Foley's alter ego Mankind.
- Spandam is based on a panda given the animal theme of One Piece.
- In One Piece Film: Gold, even though he was taking orders from Lucci, Spandam's hatred and vengeance towards Luffy drove the plot. Unlike Lucci, he also faced Luffy in a brief altercation.
- Despite not being a major threat, if one thinks about it, Spandam is arguably one of the catalyst antagonists of the series, prior to the New World, as he (or more accurately, his father) is responsible for the destruction of Ohara, which is what turned Robin into a criminal and Crocodile's right-hand woman, as well as being directly responsible for turning Franky into a cyborg. Finally, he's responsible for provoking Luffy into declaring war on the world government, an act that caused the government to take notice of him and reveal his identity as Dragon's son, which caused Sakazuki to spend an amount of time chasing after Luffy and giving him his scar.
- Also, despite never being seen as a big enemy to him, in many ways, Spandam is the complete opposite of Luffy. While Luffy is brave, strong, cares for his crew and related to a anti-government hero, Spandam is cowardly, weak, tried to sell his team out and is related to a government villain.
Big Mom Pirates