This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|The Joker believes this article is lacking a certain flair -
namely some good quality images...
you could just leave the article without pictures, but really now...
where's the fun in that?'
|~ Springtrap to Matt in "In the Flesh".|
Springtrap is a recurring antagonist in the Five Nights at Freddy's: Fazbear Frights book series, based on William Afton's undead form by the same name. He's the main antagonist of the stories "In the Flesh" and "What We Found".
In the Flesh
Springtrap is a videogame character created by the protagonist Matt for the virtual reality game named after him Springtrap's Revenge. Matt studied real life serial killer's stories to make Springtrap look as scary and unsettling as possible, using him as a way to vent all his rage for all the previously failed relationship. During the playtest of the game, Matt got jumpscared by Springtrap numerous times. Furious for being beaten by his own creation, Matt takes a "revenge" on Springtrap by leaving the game open the whole night, obligating Springtrap to roam for the virtual maze without none to kill, and making each second who passes equivalent to thousands of hours for the bunny. When Matt comes back to his studio the following day, he discovers Springtrap, without none to attack, decided to spawn a stronger copy of himself. Said copy killed the original Springtrap and spawned another copy, with the cycle continuing. Springtrap, however, is nowhere to be found and the files associated to him were somehow corrupted. Matt becomes desperate, since the deadline for the game is in two weeks, and, at the end, he decides to create another Springtrap's AI to replace the older one. In the following days, Matt starts to experiencing nausea, gaining weight and having an unhealthy desire of meat. At first, Matt thinks it's just a virus, but the symptoms don't stop, intensifying instead. Coming back home after another failed appointment with a girl named Emma, Matt realizes there's something inside him. He tries to press on his stomach, trying to reject it trough his mouth, but when that fails, he grabs a kitchen knife and cuts his belly, making a more organic version of Springtrap coming out of it. Before Matt dies he can hear the bunny calling him "Daddy". Later, the body of the developer and a piece of green fur belonging to Springtrap is found by Jason, Matt's roomate, who immediately calls the police. Whatever happened to the organic Springtrap after that is still unknown.
What We Found
Springtrap is the newest animatronic at "Fazbear's Fright", a horror attraction based on the Freddy Fazbear's Pizza chain. After being discovered in a secret room at Freddy's and hooked up to a wall, Hudson touches the flesh inside him. However, he hears his algebra teacher calling him stupid: Just one of the many awful memories from his past. After sweeping the building, he sees the statues of the animatronics singing and is slammed against his desk by his abusive stepfather Lewis, who died a long time ago. After waking up and realising he slammed his head against a arcade machine, Hudson goes to check on Springtrap, but the robot is missing. After running to the bathroom to wash his blood-covered hands, he's dragged to the toilet by an unseen force, and his head is flushed inside the toilet. Hudson once again wakes up from this hallucinatory state and realises the toilet is dry. Suddenly, Springtrap pokes his head from the vents before retreating, and Hudson chases him. After a encounter with a Chica the Chicken animatronic, another hallucination reminding of his awful past, and another Lewis hallucination, Hudson encounters Springtrap. Springtrap uses Lewis' voice to taunt Hudson, who then charges at Springtrap with a knife, but the robot eventually overpowers the human and stabs him in the exact same spot that Lewis stabbed Hudson years ago, before the fire that killed Lewis and his mother. With his right hand also suddenly bloodied, although his left was stabbed, Hudson has two main goals: Stop the bleeding and escape from Fazbear's Fright. Remembering that the gift shop can bring him both, Hudson runs there and ignores everything until Pirate's Cove, where Springtrap shows up behind the curtain, attacking Hudson with Foxy the Pirate's arm. Hudson begins running, but sees Springtrap still hooked up to the wall, much to his confusion, but reaches the gift shop, where he wraps a large amount of towels around his arm. He then smells the type of tobacco Lewis always smoked, is picked up and thrown across the dining room, landing against the wall with a crack. Remembering the fire that killed Lewis started at the kitchen, Hudson runs there, where it's revealed that he burned the house down. Hudson hides in the oven, but some unknown force turns on the oven as the door shuts. Hudson is cremated alive in the oven. Barry and Duane, Hudson's friends, return the next day, and come across Springtrap, still hooked up against the wall.
- It is speculated Springtrap from "In the Flesh" was supposed to be a representation of Glitchtrap from Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted, since both of them are versions of William Afton trapped inside a game who ends up escaping into the real world and causing the brutal death of one of the developers (Matt in the books, Jeremy in the games).
- In the introduction segment of Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, HandUnit tells the player Fazbear Entertainment is not responsible for "real world manifestation of digital characters", leading some fans to believe he was referring to the events of In the Flesh. However, this theory, as well as the story being canon, hasn't been confirmed yet.
- Weirdly enough, the "In the Flesh" version of Springtrap shares some similarities with the one drawn in the last page of The Freddy Files: Updated Edition, such as the green eyes, the absence of a dead body inside and his glitchy nature. It's possible that drawing was indeed supposed to be a teaser for In the Flesh. However, this can easily be that's just a coincidence.
- If one counts its manifestation in Matt's stomach as such, this version of Springtrap is the only villain in the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise who is a rapist.
- Some fans believe that "What We Found" shows how William Afton is behind the Phantom animatronics.