|“||Actually, what if you're all right? The unicorns could come back. They could even bring the pegasi. We are all in danger! Now is not the time to be complacent. We should do something.||„|
|~ Sprout Cloverleaf to the panicked earth ponies outside the sheriff's office.|
|“||Mommy? Was I a good sheriff?||„|
|~ Sprout Cloverleaf to his mother only for him to be tricked into seeing a flying dog as a way to avoid any awkwardness. Also his last line in the film.|
Sprout Cloverleaf is the main antagonist of the 2021 Netflix-exclusive animated movie My Little Pony: A New Generation and it's 2022 video game spinoff My Little Pony: A Maretime Bay Adventure. He, alongside his close friend Hitch Trailblazer, served as the sheriff of Maretime Bay, serving and protecting the residents, but also keeping away both unicorns and pegasi from entering the city. He is also the son of Phyllis Cloverleaf, who is the founder of Canterlogic in Maretime Bay and the former childhood friend turned enemy of both Sunny Starscout and Hitch Trailblazer.
He was voiced by Ken Jeong, who also plays as Mr. Greene in Norm of the North, Leslie Chow in The Hangover, King Argotron in Role Models, Ben Chang in Community, and Neil Lyman in Furry Vengeance. His singing voice was provided by Alan Schmuckler. In A Maretime Bay Adventure, he was voiced by Josh Graham.
Sprout comes off as an insecure and cowardly individual who is brash and abrasive, having a habit of bullying and bragging. Like other ponies, he has possessed extreme bigotry towards the unicorns and pegasi, viewing them as sinister. However, he took his bigotry too far unlike the others as it proved to be his downfall. He also loves his mother deeply, and was shown to be very spoiled whenever it came to his mother favoring him. Despite caring for his mother, he even shows no care or remorse for his fellow Earth ponies (except for Sunny and Hitch) and treated them like they were pawns in his plans, showing more of his selfishness.
Despite his insecurities, he comes close to being truly wicked when he almost put Sunny and her friends in grave danger while he is trying to stop them from both unleashing magic and letting the earth ponies, unicorn, and pegasi reunite, which led to the destruction of Sunny's home. Though after his defeat, it was implied that he would have regretted his actions and would have redeemed himself off-screen.
Regardless of whatever developments took place, though, Sprout never changed from being a whiny and stubborn man-child, as well as a pushover for his mother. He never learns from his mistakes, and he only cares about himself and somehow pleasing his mother.
Sprout remains the same in the game, but he is shown to have redeemed himself in the end.
My Little Pony: A New Generation
In his childhood, Sprout was first seen playing with carved figurines of the Mane Six with Sunny Starscout and Hitch Trailblazer. While he and Hitch were taught to fear and despise other pony races, Sunny believed in the possibility of friendship between the three pony races and dreamed of befriending a pegasus and a unicorn one day. He and Hitch later left Sunny's home.
As he grows up, Sprout becomes a deputy sheriff of Maretime Bay. One day, he was seen spying on Sunny to prevent her from reaching the Canterlogic Building. After her attempt was foiled thanks to Hitch and Sprout's interventions, Sunny eventually sneaks past them into the building. During the presentation, he and Hitch witness Sunny's attempt to convince other ponies that pegasi and unicorns can be friends.
Suddenly, when an unicorn named Izzy Moonbow comes to Maretime Bay, Sprout is seen being afraid of her along with the other earth ponies. After Sunny releases Izzy from a unicorn strapping device, Sprout cowardly gets himself trapped inside the device so he wouldn't come to the lighthouse with Hitch. When he and Hitch arrived to arrest Sunny, Sprout cowardly runs away when Izzy makes a distraction that allows her and Sunny to easily sneak away from them.
Later at the Maretime Bay police station, Hitch leaves Sprout in charge to keep the citizens safe while he goes after Sunny and Izzy. When a jealous Sprout complains about how Hitch became a loved and respected figure, his mother Phyllis embraces his new position as the temporary sheriff. Enjoying his position, Sprout convinces the earth ponies to use fear and paranoia for his self-purposes, with singing the song "Danger, Danger".
At the Canterlogic factory, Sprout, now called himself an "emperor", oversees the workers building a large machine so he could use it to carry out an ethnic cleansing against the pegasi and the unicorns. He also ordered them to continued with the project instead of letting them taking a break. Despite his mother's effort of having him take it easy, he is still determined to continue with the project.
In the afternoon, Sunny and Hitch returned but discover that Sprout taken over Maretime Bay and has prepared to wage a war on the other pony races. Sunny and Hitch try to reason with the earth ponies, as even Hitch now knows that he was wrong about unicorns and pegasi and tells them they can really be friends and says they're just as harmless as they are because they have no magic, much to Phyllis's surprise. But Sprout still didn't care that they're defenseless and still wants to attack them. He then uses his massive tank that can be used against the pegasi and unicorns called "Sprouticus Maximus" and chases Sunny and Hitch. Before the duo could warn everypony else, Sprouticus Maximus appears to endanger everypony present.
When Sunny and her friends try to unite the three crystals, Sprout tries to prevent them from succeeding at it by ramming his tank to the side of the lighthouse. When Phyllis tries to stop her son from descending into madness, but Sprout ambitiously and determinedly refused to until she jumps off in front of the machine, leading to him accidentally destroyed the lighthouse in process. However, Sprout is then seen listening to Sunny saying that the three pony races themselves can bring everything back by reuniting. He later witnesses Sunny turn into an alicorn and the magic being brought back in Equestria.
At the end of the movie, Sprout asks his mother if he was a good sheriff, only for him to be tricked into seeing a flying dog. After she walks away as to avoid answering his question, he was last seen sulking in dismay.
My Little Pony: Tell Your Tale
So far, Sprout has not appeared in the series. However, his crimes and actions would be remembered as a criminal and a tyrant after his true colors and intentions were revealed throughout the Maretime Bay, making him infamous and living in shame and disgrace as result of this. He also received a wanted poster in front of the Maretime Bay police station noticeboard.
My Little Pony: A Maretime Bay Adventure
Sprout returns in the game. He gives Sunny the task of talking to witnesses to determine who vandalized the billboards in Maretime Bay. After talking to witnesses and getting descriptions that implicate Izzy and Zipp, Sunny finds three witnesses who give a description that matches Pipp, though it's revealed the pony was wearing fake wings and trying to frame her. It is discovered that Sprout was vandalizing the billboards and framing Sunny's friends because he's still uncomfortable with Pegasi and Unicorns living in Maretime Bay. In the end, Sprout is forgiven.
It should be noted that the events of this game do not appear to be canon, as Sprout is once again the deputy of Maretime Bay, despite Make Your Mark and Tell Your Tale showing that he was fired after the events of the movie.
- Sprout Cloverleaf is the first villain in the G5 My Little Pony. It is possible, however, that he is actually the first present villain in the series as the 5th generation takes place in the same universe as the 4th generation with Equestria now having more modern technology from that of the Friendship is Magic series.
- Even though Sprout is the main antagonist of the film, he is not entirely evil. Once he's made the Sheriff of Maretime Bay, the power quickly goes to his head. He also buys into his mother's propaganda hook, line, and sinker, believing that every kind of pony except earth ponies is going to take over the town. During the first half of the movie, he's a petulant thug and at worst a nuisance to the heroes. Then Hitch makes the mistake of leaving him in charge of Maretime Bay in his absence, and he swiftly declares himself emperor, constructs a giant robot, and nearly kills Sunny.
- Sprout is one of the few earth pony villains in the My Little Pony franchise, the others being Svengallop, Dr. Caballeron, Gladmane, The Mane-iac, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Babs Seed, and Spoiled Rich.
- Many fans believed that Sprout's mother, Phyllis Cloverleaf, was the main antagonist of the film at first for her treatment of outcast ponies and Sunny at first. However, she later became responsible for Sprout becoming the real main antagonist, after he becomes the dictator of Maretime Bay and the final challenge for our heroes to face to reunite the pony tribes and return magic to Equestria. The difference is that Phyllis was doing it for what's best for other ponies, while her son Sprout took his prejudice too far by waging a war against pegasi and unicorns and trying to carry out an ethnic cleaning against them. Phyllis, regretting her actions and having a change of heart, puts herself in front of Sprout and his war machine in a desperate attempt to stop her son's madness. Sprout managed to move the machine out of the way to save his mother, but didn't stop it in time for the machine to not destroy Sunny's home.
- However, unlike her son, Phyllis was never evil to begin with, and she lacked any and all villainous traits.
- Sprout serves as a dark counterpart to Sunny Starscout, which was interesting since Sunny is a kind, benevolent, idealistic, honest, and determined pony who wanted to make Equestria a better place and bring the three pony tribes back together to bring back friendship and harmony while Sprout is bigoted, jealous, insecure, selfish, tyrannical, dishonest, and manipulative to the point of manipulating the earth ponies to wage war against pegasi and unicorns and prevent Sunny and her friends from bringing back friendship and harmony.
- He is also one to Hitch Trailblazer as both are sheriffs of the Maretime Bay who patrolled the Maretime Bay, being arrogant over their job and even had a hatred over two pony races, but the difference is that Hitch is very hardworking and brave, took his job seriously and is very brave in doing that while Sprout is very cowardly and foolish, failed to do his job and doesn't do much to help the latter. Thanks to Sunny's beliefs, Hitch managed to overcome his hatred over Pegasi and unicorns and joined on her quest of bringing ponies back together, while Sprout took his hatred too far, tried to take over Maretime Bay and prepared to wage war against Pegasi and unicorns despite realize the error of his ways. He can represent what Hitch would've become if he never get over with his hatred towards Pegasi and unicorns if it weren't for Sunny.
- Plus his actions showed everypony that enemies are not judged by race, they're judged by the reckless choices they make as he showed that Earth ponies, Pegasi and unicorns can be enemies with the same species too when he becomes enemies with his former friends Sunny and Hitch who are earth ponies like him. This even proves himself as a real threat either. He also serves as what they could've become if they let their fear and hatred consume them.
- The sound of him drinking his soft drink is similar to the sound of Darth Vader breathing in helmet.
- It’s unknown why he wasn’t arrested, though he was relieved of duty before Zipp took his place.
- His full name Sprout Cloverleaf only shown in the end of the credits in the game My Little Pony: A Maretime Bay Adventure.