This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||You'd think I'd be used to facing art and office supplies by now...but this one is SUPER scary! The barking! The biting! Those sharp, sharp staples! Hey, wait! Those staples must be why all of our folded friends can't unfold themselves... This thing must've bit them! It locked them into angry origami forms! BAD dog!||„|
|~ Olivia theorizes that the Stapler might be why the Folded Soldiers cannot revert to their former selves.|
The Stapler, also called The Fanged Fastener, is a major antagonist and penultimate boss in Paper Mario: The Origami King. It is a member of King Olly's Legion of Stationery and the sixth and final member Paper Mario fights. It is a sentient black stapler that guards the Origami Castle as Olly's last line of defense, similarly to a guard dog.
The Stapler has a black metallic body with staples in its mouth, allowing it to bind its victims with its "bite".
The Stapler is only briefly seen before its boss fight where it can be seen at the very beginning of the game turning the Koopa Troop into Folded Soldiers, stapling them so they could not unfold themselves back to normal. The Stapler also stapled Paper Bowser into his weakling folded form with its bite.
At the end of the game when Paper Mario and his friends raid the Origami Castle in their quest to confront and stop Olly, he calls upon the Stapler to deal with them in the room before his throne. The Stapler attacks Paper Mario using its staples, biting him twice to the ground. If not blocked, Paper Mario is pinned down for an extra turn. Stapler can charge an attack that makes it rapidly bite Paper Mario, although it leaves it vulnerable for an extra turn as the monster needs to refill its staples. The Stapler starts out with regular gray staples, making it deal mediocre damage, before shifting to red and later gold as it loses a third of its health, each dealing more damage than before.
Once he weakens the Stapler enough, Paper Mario performs the 1,000 Fold-Arms technique to destroy the Stapler by splitting its mouth wide enough to break. Upon Stapler's death, the staple restricting Paper Bowser is destroyed, allowing him to fold back to his normal form.
After Olivia's wish reverts her brother's actions, Stapler turns back into a regular stapler.
- An error happens when the battle with the Stapler concludes. The Stapler has its mouth fixed following the battle, even though Paper Mario split it wide open.
- However, it is possible for Paper Mario to finish off the Stapler without using the 1,000 Fold-Arms technique, in which case he won't split its mouth open.
- The Stapler is the only member of the Legion of Stationery to not be guarding an origami streamer. It is also the only one that does not speak, instead having a dog-like personality.
- It has one of the most violent deaths of any Super Mario character, being snapped in half (akin to being ripped in half).
- However, given it is a sentient stapler and not a living being like Bowser, this is softened somewhat, but it is a brutal death regardless.