|“||A role model? No. But I do consider myself somebody that everyone should look up to. Kids should try to pretend that they're Tank. I mean, they should try. Good luck, kids!||„|
|~ Tank Evans|
Tank "The Shredder" Evans is the main antagonist of Sony Pictures Animation's 2nd feature film Surf's Up and a major character in its sequel Surf's Up 2: Wavemania. He is Cody Maverick's former archenemy-turned-friend.
Tank Evans is a penguin who competed against the famous surfer, Big Z, during a surfing contest on Pen Gu Island. During the surf off, Tank wiped Big Z out. Tired and knowing that he could not compete against Tank, Big Z faked a disappearance. Following this, a surfing contest called "The Big Z Memorial Surf Off" started and was won by Tank nine times.
10 years after Big Z's disappearance, Tank returned to Pen Gu Island to take part in the tenth surf off. Whilst on the island, Tank disrespects Big Z's memorial, much to the disgust and anger of fellow participate and fan of Big Z Cody Maverick, who challenges Tank to a surf off. Tank wins the surf off by wiping out Cody, who is rescued by Pen Gu Island's lifeguard Lani, who takes him to be healed by her uncle Geek (who is actually an older Big Z).
On the day of the surf off, Tank competes against Cody and Chicken Joe. Tank tries to knock Chicken Joe off his board, but is stopped by Cody. Tank and Cody end up in an area of the sea called The Boneyard (which had killed surfers in the past). Tank knocks Cody off his board, but ends up crashing. Lani helps Tank back to shore whilst Big Z comes to Cody's aid.
Afterwards, Tank is disqualified from the surf-off.
Surf's Up 2: Wavemania
Tank returns in the sequel to challenge Cody and the Hang 5 in surfing in the Trenches (a mysterious surfing spot that is considered dangerous). He seems to be more ignorant and cowardly than in the first film as it shows he feared for his own life surfing in the dangerous waters during a thunderstorm. Cody then rushes to rescue him along with J.C., causing Tank to redeem himself by realizing that Cody risked his life to save him and then accepted him as a friend.
|“||These are my ladies. This is Jillian. This is my lady, Amy. Little Suzy. Brianna... you know why we call her Brianna, right?||„|
|~ Tank Evans to the documentary crew about his many trophies.|
|“||I'm gonna chum the water with your head!||„|
|~ Tank Evans to Cody.|
|“||Number one, the Tank!||„|
|~ Tank Evans|
- John Leguizamo, John Goodman, Gary Cole, the late Robin Williams, Will Arnett, Tommy Lee Jones, Danny DeVito, Kurt Russell, Jeff Daniels, Nathan Lane, James Spader, Thomas Haden Church, Kelsey Grammer, Christopher Lloyd, John Goodman, John Cleese, Alec Baldwin, Hugo Weaving, Alan Tudyk, Will Ferrell, Harry Shearer, Liam Neeson, Kenneth Branagh, Gary Oldman, Sean Bean, Benjamin Bratt, Alfred Molina, Eddie Izzard, John Malkovich, Jason Lee, Justin Long, Bill Hader, Patton Oswalt, and Jack Black were all considered for the role of Tank before Diedrich Bader was selected.
- Tank cares deeply about his trophies. So much so, he gives them names such as Lia, Jill, Amy, Suzy and Brianna.
- Tank still lives at home with his mother as in the scene when Tank is talking to the documentary crew whilst polishing his trophies, her voice is heard asking if he is polishing his trophies again, to which Tank replies that he is not and is just talking to his friends. In the scene when the younger penguins are playing with Tank's favorite trophy Lia, he tells them that he will tell his mother what they have been doing.
- His voice sounds similar to Will Arnett.
- Tank Evans was sometimes thought to be the secondary antagonist of the first film.
- Tank can be argued to be redeemed in the first movie, however, Tank did not reform in the first film but he reformed in the sequel though.