|“||No... Don't want that... Don't... trust... self... Maybe kill again... Kill sweet Dahlia... again...||„|
|~ Terry Fawles' last words.|
Terry Fawles is a minor antagonist in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, and is also the secondary antagonist in the fourth case, Turnabout Beginnings.
In the Ace Attorney anime, he was voiced by Ken'ichirō Matsuda in Japanese and Kyle Hebert in English.
Fawles was a tutor who was hired by Dahlia Hawthorne's family. Dahlia, having a grudge against her parents, conspired with Fawles and her sister Valerie to steal a priceless gem from her jewel-making father. During this time, Fawles began an affair with Dahlia, who was only fourteen at the time.
The plan involved a fake kidnapping where Fawles held Dahlia at knifepoint over Dusky Bridge, demanding the gem as a ransom, which was to be delivered by Valerie. Deciding that she wanted the money to herself, Dahlia jumped off the bridge, staging her death and letting Fawles take the blame for her "murder". Her secret was only known by Valerie, with Fawles believing his "teen angel" had died.
Fawles was on death row for Dahlia's "murder" until he decided to escape one day, after he got tired of solitary confinement. He was given instructions to meet up with Valerie at Dusky Bridge and steal a car. However, Dahlia had murdered Valerie and taken her clothes, placing her body in the trunk of the vehicle. As Fawles had not seen Dahlia for years, he mistook her for Valerie and drove off with Valerie's body, being stopped by the police shortly afterward and being taken to court to be sentenced for Valerie's murder.
Mia Fey was called in as Terry's lawyer in her first case. While she was able to prove Fawles' innocence of the murder of Dahlia and Valerie, she didn't realize that Dahlia had tricked Fawles into participating in a suicide pact if either of them believed that they couldn't trust each other. Fawles, overcome with guilt and confusion, swallowed the poison Dahlia had given to him, dying right on the witness stand and acquitting Dahlia as there was no conclusive evidence to arrest her as of yet.
Fawles was likened to a caveman, having a brutish and stupid appearance as well as a stunted and simple way of speaking. He was gullible, naive, and very unintelligent, being outwitted by a fourteen-year-old girl.
Fawles was also an pedophile, as he was attracted to a teenager, going so far as to refer to Dahlia as his "teen angel". Although it was likely that Dahlia was manipulating Fawles, due to his lack of intelligence and childish mental capacities.
Fawles likely displayed some sort of mental disorder, as he was unable to realize what he was doing was wrong or disgusting. He was oblivious to the seriousness of his crimes and remained in denial of his actions, repeating over and over that he didn't do anything. He tried to be polite and friendly to Mia Fey, who was clearly uncomfortable around him.
Terry was a large man with short black hair and barbed wire tattoos on his face. He wore a blue and white striped prison outfit and carried around a ball and chain, biting down on it when stressed. He had blue eyes.
- Fawles is one of the more controversial antagonists in the Ace Attorney series, due to his relationship with an underage girl. This is portrayed seriously, with Diego and Mia disgusted by Fawles' attraction. Surprisingly, it is one of the few examples in fiction where Fawles is clearly the victim of this relationship, as Dahlia is taking advantage of his mental deficiency to get him to do her bidding. It is never made clear how serious their relationship was.
- Fawles is the first and only character to die during a trial. Although the Phantom was shot in court, he managed to survive.
- If Fawles hadn't killed himself, Dahlia would have been arrested for the murder of Valerie. She also wouldn't have been able to poison Diego, murder Doug Swallow, and indirectly cause the death of Misty Fey. It's due to his suicide that many of the events in the third game transpired.
- Fawles is a rare example of a villainous defendant in the Ace Attorney series, the only others being Matt Engarde, Ron DeLite, Machi Tobaye, and Cosney Megundal. However, while Fawles, DeLite and Tobaye are innocent of the crimes they're accused of, Engarde and Megundal are not.
- Fawles' last name, Fawles, refers to the word "falls", as in him being the fall guy for Dahlia's plan.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Gyakuten Kenji 2/Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth: Prosecutor's Path
Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Kakugo